Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Does anyone have any basic primers\interesting quotes about Iraqi performance in Gulf War 1?

They were definitely outclassed, outnumbered and taken by surprise, but I would think that Iran-Iraq would have given them a decent amount of combat experience and helped work out organizational\doctrinal issues.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Here is the second part of Chapter 7 of "Armies of Sand": Arab Militaries and Politicization: Iraq

I am going to pause the excerpt here to enter into a digression. Back in July of this year, in the "The US will lose WW3" thread, a collaborative effort among posters uncovered a body of evidence that seemed to suggest that, beyond the one-layer-deep knowledge that US Ambassador to Iraq April Glaspie has mislead Saddam Hussein into believing that America would give him a free hand in invading Kuwait, and then turned around and destroyed the country, it appears as though Iraq was willing to enter into negotiations with the West in order to avoid a greater conflict, but an overwhelming desire by the George HW Bush administration to escalate the conflict prevailed, and the Coalition was railroaded into a full-on war against Saddam despite lots of peace offers being on the table.

Essentially, the Gulf War was no less a lie than the 2003 invasion was.

The discussion starts at page 222 of the thread, for anyone wanting to follow along.

interjecting here again to say that the line about how it would have been better to negotiate their way out of Kuwait was the better move is particularly foreboding, given the findings I alluded to that Iraq really did try very hard to negotiate their way out of Kuwait, and it was America that forced the issue.

as someone who only had a barebones understanding of what happened with the rise of ISIS this section was particularly illuminating. Thanks, Obama, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Thanks!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Does anyone have any basic primers\interesting quotes about Iraqi performance in Gulf War 1?

They were definitely outclassed, outnumbered and taken by surprise, but I would think that Iran-Iraq would have given them a decent amount of combat experience and helped work out organizational\doctrinal issues.

it's the opposite of that. The Iranians had not only thrown them out of Iran but had even fought on Iraqi soil for quite a while (which is when the Iraqis stiffened and prevented Iran from winning the whole thing). They were absolutely devastated by the war and it was more a broken husk that invaded Kuwait and had to confront the US. The Iran-Iraq war was far larger than most people realize (probably the largest post war since the Korean war and maybe even bigger) and it was brutal for both countries. Think more like France emerging from WW1.

BrotherJayne posted:

Not sure how you're getting this, given what we're seeing in terms of conscript demographics

They aren't actually running out of ambulatory people they can shove towards the front (their population isn't that small). They are running out of the people they consider disposable and who can be persuaded or forced to enter the war. If this fight was existential there are a ton of people they are exempting from the draft and they wouldn't care about making their press ganging less obvious.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the Iraqis had invaded Kuwait with 88,000 troops, many of them the best they had along with having to garrison the Iranian border. The Iraqi right flank (from their perspective) was extremely weak, out numbered, and out gunned.

When the US attacked, it was still largely a surprise, and many of the forces opposing them either surrendered or got mowed down, and there wasn't much behind them to stop them when the US got to the other side.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:11 on Nov 29, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Has the US lost WW3 yet or what? I'm getting tired of waiting.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Tom Guycot posted:

Has the US lost WW3 yet or what? I'm getting tired of waiting.

The thread title is pretty clear on the chronology of this

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

They aren't actually running out of ambulatory people they can shove towards the front (their population isn't that small). They are running out of the people they consider disposable and who can be persuaded or forced to enter the war.

My brother in christ, warfare isn't CoD.

A modicum of fitness and motivation is necessary to achieve anything like efficacy with your infantry

The fit and motivated well is running dry

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrotherJayne posted:

A modicum of fitness and motivation is necessary to achieve anything like efficacy with your infantry

Here is your uniform, here is your boots. Here is your camo painted walking stick. Here is your tactical black knee brace.

Can you see well enough to read a map? No? Okay can you see well enough to follow Igor over there? Okay you'll be fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1729752931740606676

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

BrotherJayne posted:

I don't think those 50 year olds complaining about getting a half week of training and then told to sit in a trench passed significant fitness requirements. In the current hellscape they need people keeping trenches occupied and getting mangled in mine fields so we're not talking potential operators. With 30 million-ish population they still have a lot of people they can in theory hurl into the machine.

Which is why there has been a lot of complaining about all the healthy young men running around Kyiv especially from mangled vets recovering in hospitals shaking their fists at the booming nightlife. There are a lot of ways to avoid the draft and plenty more are doing so illicitly. Ukraine is absurdly corrupt and no one connected has to join the Great War cosplay. That's why it isn't a problem of just not having people, but of having enough accessible people the leadership is willing/able to draft or of motivating people to stop avoiding the draft. It's a political problem.

FuzzySlippers has issued a correction as of 10:10 on Nov 29, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/29/us-osprey-military-aircraft-with-8-crew-crashes-off-japan

"The aircraft disappeared from radar at 2:40pm local time, Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno confirmed.

According to witnesses, the left engine of the aircraft appeared to be on fire as it went down into the sea near Yakushima airport, Japanese broadcaster NHK reported. Nearby fishing boats rushed to the scene, locating three of the crew members."
Finest quality. Finest quality.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It spiraled in

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

It spiraled in

america: not racist enough

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is true. I don't think any Western country or its allies or apparently even countries modeled after it are prepared to handle a serious conflict as their militaries have been optimized for something different. I'm curious if there was ever a conscious decision to focus their militaries on essentially bullying or if it was happenstance. If it ever was a choice they seem to have forgotten they made it considering what is going on in Ukraine and especially Israel. There is a certain amount of laughable shock that fighting competent forces with any degree of commitment is hard.

Yeah, my country (the UK) spends enough on defense to be considered one of the world's big military spenders and yet we're entirely incapable of conducting a Ukraine-style war with our current set-up. We just don't have the men, the hardware, the ammo or the productive capacity to sustain a 'proper' war. If the UK government decided tomorrow to actually join the fight and threw everything we had onto the Ukraine front lines, we'd be providing a few thousand battle-ready troops with armoured vehicles plus 150ish tanks. And once those forces were too knocked around to continue fighting (so 6 weeks? A couple of months?), that would be it: there's nothing in reserve.

The UK can provide a fig leaf of allied support to US missions; it can carry out light peacekeeping duties; it can assassinate small numbers of lightly armed 'terrorists' from a distance. It can't fight a Ukraine style war and I doubt under our current system, it ever will be able to.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In some ways, it doesn't matter, there won't be an invasion of Great Britain nor of Central Europe, Russia isn't going to be taking Berlin. However, it does speak to the radical delta between not only the United Kingdom but the West's capabilities and popular perceptions of them.

Israel dropped more than two hiroshimas worth of conventional bombs on Gaza and didn't get the result they wanted versus a force that was practically armed from a garbage shop. The fact that Russia (and to a lesser extent China) is run down as military forces so such a extent speaks to fear, not of Russia or China showing up on Britain's (or France's etc) doorstep, but if the West can't bully countries abroad, why should it be allowed to be bully the people at home? Why are people even paying for Britain's military if it could be replaced with a much cheaper defense force (ala Ireland)? It starts to open a can of worms.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

the gift that keeps on giving

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, my country (the UK) spends enough on defense to be considered one of the world's big military spenders and yet we're entirely incapable of conducting a Ukraine-style war with our current set-up. We just don't have the men, the hardware, the ammo or the productive capacity to sustain a 'proper' war. If the UK government decided tomorrow to actually join the fight and threw everything we had onto the Ukraine front lines, we'd be providing a few thousand battle-ready troops with armoured vehicles plus 150ish tanks. And once those forces were too knocked around to continue fighting (so 6 weeks? A couple of months?), that would be it: there's nothing in reserve.

The UK can provide a fig leaf of allied support to US missions; it can carry out light peacekeeping duties; it can assassinate small numbers of lightly armed 'terrorists' from a distance. It can't fight a Ukraine style war and I doubt under our current system, it ever will be able to.

it's great isn't it? All that money and it goes no where and what little exists is subpar

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The pockets of wealthy shareholders isn't nowhere.

The proper understanding of the liberal state is of an apparatus transferring wealth to the rich from the rest of society, and from as many other societies as they can.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ardennes posted:

In some ways, it doesn't matter, there won't be an invasion of Great Britain nor of Central Europe

Don't be a pessimist.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
You know, I never thought about it that way before, but Ukraine probably is\was the most war-capable European army, not counting Turkey. Who else could put a similar amount of troops or gear on the field? Poland's army is one of the biggest and most geared up in Europe but I'm pretty sure it had fewer tanks and artillery pieces than Ukraine in January 2022.

Of course, European states don't need big armies, and shouldn't have them, but the people in charge absolutely believe that they have great military capabilities and that those form moral justification for imperialism/colonialism/exploitation in general.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
European countries who think they have capable armies include the UK, France, Poland, Finland, Greece and Turkey (opinions divded on whether they count as European).

Whether they actually do...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the UK is woefully unprepared for war. They will very likely be defeated first.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

European countries who think they have capable armies include the UK, France, Poland, Finland, Greece and Turkey (opinions divded on whether they count as European).

Whether they actually do...

Not too long ago there was a bit of outrage because the (now outgoing) openly fascist party showed pages from a classified Polish defence plan in case of war with Russia.

The plan estimated that without full NATO intervention, Poland can fight for 14 days. My memory might be off slightly, but it was somewhere around there. This included retreat to defensible positions, using rivers and so on.

The fascist party, ahead of the election, basically said that plan is treason and if they're reelected they'll just fight on the border, "not give up a single centimetre" and win. Bing bong so simple.

Edit: the other day I found out that Poland paid $145 million per F-35. You know, the jet with the quoted price of $70m. They're due for delivery sometime.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Nov 29, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reminder that the army wants do do away with their helicopters for another tilt rotor monstrosity

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Reminder that the army wants do do away with their helicopters for another vtol monstrosity.

that means more dead us troops. i think they've got the right idea

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The UK regularly talks as though it's still the same country that ruled a mighty empire, or even the country that could successfully send a strike force across the world to retake the Falklands.

Its so loving cringeworthy seeing some junior defense minister putting their name to newspaper articles with headlines like: "When the British lion roars, Putin trembles."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pistol_Pete posted:

The UK regularly talks as though it's still the same country that ruled a mighty empire, or even the country that could successfully send a strike force across the world to retake the Falklands.

Its so loving cringeworthy seeing some junior defense minister putting their name to newspaper articles with headlines like: "When the British lion roars, Putin trembles."

lol can they even take the shenzhen-HK border checkpoint even without the PLA stopping them

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Palladium posted:

lol can they even take the shenzhen-HK border checkpoint even without the PLA stopping them

dont be silly, of course they can

they just don't wanna

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Look, just move the definition of "Europe" inside EU, then neither Ukraine nor Turkey are European countries. It's time for Poland to shine.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Reminder that the army wants do do away with their helicopters for another tilt rotor monstrosity

forget the army, the osprey is (eventually) going to be the new marine one lmao. right now they only make aides and the press corps fly in the ones the marine helicopter unit has

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

forget the army, the osprey is (eventually) going to be the new marine one lmao. right now they only make aides and the press corps fly in the ones the marine helicopter unit has

obama flew in a v22 to give a speech in the bronx in like 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

the UK is woefully unprepared for war. They will very likely be defeated first.

Don't need to directly attack the UK, just cut off their food imports and let nature do the rest.

Food security is something they are sorely lacking.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

When the angry hamster squeaks, the mountains shake.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Real hurthling! posted:

obama flew in a v22 to give a speech in the bronx in like 2015

Of all the times for an Osprey not to crash.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Does this count as a Pivot To Asia casualty? We're up to a couple dozen of those at least

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
when neolib army runs neolib military equipment

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
maintaining a standing army on a permanent war footing is not actually practical in the modern era. it wasn’t even practical in the past without actual outright imperial plunder, and neocolonialism is definitely not gonna cut it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

eSports Chaebol posted:

maintaining a standing army on a permanent war footing is not actually practical in the modern era. it wasn’t even practical in the past without actual outright imperial plunder, and neocolonialism is definitely not gonna cut it

Yes, which is why continental militaries (everyone other than Britain) used conscription and reserves. Build a tonne of equipment in state arsenals, a sort of Keynesianism, then upon signing for delivery, put it in storage. Conscript every able-bodied man at 18, and then, upon completing their service, put it in the reserve. The actual standing army does not need to be large, a quarter or less of the military you have trained and equipped for mobilization.

It's incredibly practical - but - the two things it runs on, state control of the required industry, which operates at a loss, like the parks service, and a social contract strong enough that the population is not just willing to bear, but often enthusiastic about conscription, aren't possible under neoliberalism. The reason

Britain had a small, professional military is twofold and relates to your point. First, popular support goes as far as a nation's own borders. As soon as people are conscripted to be sent god-knows-where, the public opposes first the conscription, and if that is not abolished, the overseas expeditions. Second, maintaining a (admittedly smaller) force that is kept at high readiness (for worldwide deployment in wars of empire) is incredibly expensive, it requires the empire.

More succinctly, it's never practical to be on a permanent war footing, but countries that are not empires are not permanently at war.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

DancingShade posted:

When the angry hamster squeaks, the mountains shake.

Britain: moopsy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

corona familiar posted:

Britain: moopsy!

Is a British moopsy a slur vampire?