Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Building Airships is like the coolest thing the BoS ever gets up to, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo there a 50:50 chance the enclave institute show up too to round up all the greatest hits

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
If this show is any good it'll be by accident.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Lol at the fact that Walton Goggins' character is just called "The Ghoul".

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Walton Goggins is such a good actor but drat he must have the worst agent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Animal Friend posted:

I assume Amazon just backed a dumptruck full of money on his lawn. They spend insane amounts of money on their shows aside from the people actually writing them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Animal Friend posted:

Why? He was in Justified I think, did well and got paid, and now he's acting in other series and getting paid. He's absolutely a character actor, but that's a good paying and creatively fulfilling role in Hollywood if you're not a jerk about it. I don't see anything Goggins should be upset about.

e: i was wrong! he's not a character actor! he was just the lead dating dad with kids on a sitcom for two years! he's doing great!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 29, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If the BOS is building airships then maybe would could have an dogfight between them and the NCR airforce.

Who am I kidding. The NCR will probably barely be a thing in the show because it's not apocalyptic enough.

Do you think Inon Zur or Mark Morgan could come and do music for the show.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 29, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i for one am waiting until i see the show before i draw any conclusions about it

(i'm not gonna watch the show)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

hawowanlawow posted:

like everyone else I love agent Cooper, but has Amazon ever made a show that wasn't dogshit?

The Boys is pretty drat good

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Tick, and Patriot were both really good and cancelled too soon.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It'll at least be a perfectly above average paint by numbers nerd action show if the antagonist has a motivation more advanced than "my plans are too advanced to be explained to you, also I'm putting you in charge of the Institute in a direct act of nepotism."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

The Tick, and Patriot were both really good and cancelled too soon.

The Tick was amazing. I am still mad it got cancelled. Easily better than the vast majority of the generic super hero or super hero-adjacent tv series.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

watho posted:

(i'm not gonna watch the show)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A Fallout horror story in one sentence:

Written by Emil Pagliarulo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
2 spooky 4 me

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I hope the script includes the word "fallout" several times per episode.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Things that are guaranteed:
- war, war never changes
- the same ink spots song again
:negative:

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Wasn’t the halo tv series preemptively declared non canon and then quietly forgotten about? Hope whatever dumb stuff happens in this series doesn’t end up restricting whatever future west coast game that gets made

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they ever make another West coast game...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's fair that Bethesda set their games on the East coast since everyone at Bethesda lives their and probably a lot of them grew up there. Of the problems with with Fallout 3 and 4, I would not call geographic setting to be one of them.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Air Skwirl posted:

I think it's fair that Bethesda set their games on the East coast since everyone at Bethesda lives their and probably a lot of them grew up there. Of the problems with with Fallout 3 and 4, I would not call geographic setting to be one of them.

It was a great call in a lot of ways. Not trying to emulate someone else's style, a chance to do their own thing with the setting, working with the regions and spaces they're more familiar with-

And then Super Mutants, Deathclaws, the resurgent Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Guarantee if they didn't have all that the same people bitching about their inclusion would be about the exclusion.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Gaius Marius posted:

Guarantee if they didn't have all that the same people bitching about their inclusion would be about the exclusion.

Yeah we were all super-pissed that New Vegas wasn't all about those things. Who the gently caress was that Caeser idiot? The gently caress was I doing shooting these Night Stalkers and Cazadores and not more giant green people?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The problem with Fallout 3 isn't that it had these things, it's that the game treats having these things as what defines the franchise, rather than storytelling or themes. We need the BoS in the spotlight for each game and story because how else are we going to put a power armor helmet in a different pose on the cover?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey those giant green people are actually pretty chill.

At least the first generation ones. Can't really help the dumb dumbs.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
they're going to have Liberty Prime in the show because bethesda can't fuckin help themselves

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dolphinbomb posted:

they're going to have Liberty Prime in the show because bethesda can't fuckin help themselves

I mean there is a picture of Mr House standing next to Liberty Prime in Fallout New Vegas and if the show does have prewar flashbacks then that's an easy slot.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

dolphinbomb posted:

I didn't play through the Fallout 4 BOS storyline, and I never finished the story because I thought it as stupid that I couldn't get the Minuteman and Railroad to see eye to eye. When I found out that of all things, Liberty Prime makes a reappearance, I was like "Of course they (the writers) loving did that."

One of the good things in Fallout 3 that has withstood both the death of the initial hype and the rising tide of cynicism, mostly because it's so... camp? If that's the word. I feel people still like Liberty Prime, the 'character' of the xenophobic Robby The Robot the size of Godzilla. It's one-note and surface level but it's enjoyable. And sure, in the multiversal media landscape it may seem quaint, but I accept it's typically fun to occasionally meet characters from old games. Apparently Sierra from 3 appears in Nuka World, which makes perfect sense. But Liberty Prime's not a character that could have voluntarily walked to Boston so it raises so, SO many questions about the logistical difficulty and why they need this specific scientist and what tactical purpose was it supposed to serve and baaaaarrrrrrrfffff.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Magnetic North posted:

I didn't play through the Fallout 4 BOS storyline, and I never finished the story because I thought it as stupid that I couldn't get the Minuteman and Railroad to see eye to eye. When I found out that of all things, Liberty Prime makes a reappearance, I was like "Of course they (the writers) loving did that."

One of the good things in Fallout 3 that has withstood both the death of the initial hype and the rising tide of cynicism, mostly because it's so... camp? If that's the word. I feel people still like Liberty Prime, the 'character' of the xenophobic Robby The Robot the size of Godzilla. It's one-note and surface level but it's enjoyable. And sure, in the multiversal media landscape it may seem quaint, but I accept it's typically fun to occasionally meet characters from old games. Apparently Sierra from 3 appears in Nuka World, which makes perfect sense. But Liberty Prime's not a character that could have voluntarily walked to Boston so it raises so, SO many questions about the logistical difficulty and why they need this specific scientist and what tactical purpose was it supposed to serve and baaaaarrrrrrrfffff.

You can get the Minutemen and Railroad to work together, unless you do the thing that the leader of the Railroad tells you "If you do this, we will never trust you again." I think it's impossible to get the Railroad and Brotherhood to cooperate if you're working with one of their factions, but as leader of the Minutemen it's possible to get all three groups to tolerate each other.

Liberty Prime is a superweapon, so it makes sense that the guys who love high-tech weapons would make an effort to keep him working. I assume they flew him over on their airship. Liberty Prime in California would really stretch belief, though.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Chamale posted:

You can get the Minutemen and Railroad to work together, unless you do the thing that the leader of the Railroad tells you "If you do this, we will never trust you again." I think it's impossible to get the Railroad and Brotherhood to cooperate if you're working with one of their factions, but as leader of the Minutemen it's possible to get all three groups to tolerate each other.

No, it isn't. All of the big three factions will send you to kill the other two if you do their questlines. The only way to avoid having the Brotherhood and Railroad kill each other is to advance the Institute quest to the Bunker Hill fight, sabotage it, tell Son to gently caress off, and then go to the Brotherhood as it will skip the extermination mission and go straight to killing the Institute. None of them "tolerate" each other and none of them "cooperate" with each other, even going pure Minutemen, you just don't do their faction quests.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ironslave posted:

No, it isn't. All of the big three factions will send you to kill the other two if you do their questlines. The only way to avoid having the Brotherhood and Railroad kill each other is to advance the Institute quest to the Bunker Hill fight, sabotage it, tell Son to gently caress off, and then go to the Brotherhood as it will skip the extermination mission and go straight to killing the Institute. None of them "tolerate" each other and none of them "cooperate" with each other, even going pure Minutemen, you just don't do their faction quests.

Do The Nuclear Option with the Minutemen, evacuate the Institute, and avoid antagonizing the Brotherhood, and all three factions will be around after the Institute is destroyed. Source, also I have played a lot of Fallout 4 and this is usually the ending I try to get. The story is badly written, but that particular complaint is not true.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ironslave posted:

No. There’s nothing requiring a Railroad player to kill the Minutemen or vice-versa. In fact, both Preston and Desdemona have dialogue commenting on you working with the other faction and saying that it’s worth reaching out when you’re building the teleporter. The Railroad and the Minutemen require you to fight the Institute eventually. The Railroad also requires fighting the Brotherhood of Steel, while it’s optional for the Minutemen.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
If anything being able to actually destroy the Minutemen instead of them being the Yes Man-style default would make the game a little better lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

If anything being able to actually destroy the Minutemen instead of them being the Yes Man-style default would make the game a little better lol

Go play Nuka-World then.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

My favorite outcome of Nuka World is having Preston castigate you for being a bandit, say he will never trust you again and that you aren’t friends, then still have you as leader of the minute men and act as a quest giver.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Chamale posted:

Do The Nuclear Option with the Minutemen, evacuate the Institute, and avoid antagonizing the Brotherhood, and all three factions will be around after the Institute is destroyed. Source, also I have played a lot of Fallout 4 and this is usually the ending I try to get. The story is badly written, but that particular complaint is not true.

That's not them tolerating or working together, that's them not intersecting at all.

Arivia posted:

No. There’s nothing requiring a Railroad player to kill the Minutemen or vice-versa. In fact, both Preston and Desdemona have dialogue commenting on you working with the other faction and saying that it’s worth reaching out when you’re building the teleporter. The Railroad and the Minutemen require you to fight the Institute eventually. The Railroad also requires fighting the Brotherhood of Steel, while it’s optional for the Minutemen.

The "big three" are the Institute, the Railroad, and the Brotherhood, the ones that game bends you to investing most of your time and interest in, and they all have you kill the other two (excepting the aforementioned workaround for the Brotherhood and the Railroad). The Minutemen exist as a kind of fallback option if you alienate the others. The extent of your "collaboration" is doing the exact same questline you'd have done for any given one of them, and the most acknowledgement you get is to swap a data tape between two factions that's just a flag to continue their questlines.

Anyway, then they released Nuka-World, and with that you can make it so completing the game is nearly-impossible by also alienating the Minutemen.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 30, 2023

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Prime was shipped in pieces - the Brotherhood stuff where you rebuild Prime shows the components and the reconstruction progresses as you complete the quests for them.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also worth noting he was reduced to a busted up head during the events of FO3's Broken Steel. Easier to carry around that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Amazing that they rebuilt it despite me blowing up the Pentagon for zero narrative reason.