Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Devor posted:

If a journalist takes a report that a "dumb" viral mistake actual happened lots of times, and still frames it as 'lol look at these dumb cyclists' they should take away their little press card that they tuck into their hat

It looks like they were just going too fast imo. There could be dogs/kids or what ever that you don't expect to be on a footpath and you should be in control of your bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jippa posted:

It looks like they were just going too fast imo. There could be dogs/kids or what ever that you don't expect to be on a footpath and you should be in control of your bike.

Riding into an obstacle without even slowing down because you didn't see the obstacle at all is not really correlated with going too fast. You can totally be riding at a speed that allows you to stop in plenty of time if you see an obstacle in front of you and still hit an obstacle that you literally don't see at all.

Hell, smacking into an obstacle that you didn't notice happens even at walking speeds when people are distracted or the obstacle is hard to see! And it's very funny when caught on camera.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Jabor posted:

Hell, smacking into an obstacle that you didn't notice happens even at walking speeds when people are distracted or the obstacle is hard to see! And it's very funny when caught on camera.

If there's footage of me constantly stubbing my toe or hitting my elbow on the door handle in the hall, please delete it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

As an American, I find England's Freedom to Roam laws weird. That's what you get when your country's old as balls.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jippa posted:

As long as the dogs and kids are not camouflaged to blend into the footpath they'll be fine. This is a visual detection problem to be solved with a hazard marker, not a sight distance issue.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just run that bad boy in reverse for a few seconds, should put everything back where it needs to be

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Jabor posted:

Riding into an obstacle without even slowing down because you didn't see the obstacle at all is not really correlated with going too fast. You can totally be riding at a speed that allows you to stop in plenty of time if you see an obstacle in front of you and still hit an obstacle that you literally don't see at all.

exactly this - you can even hear the brakes on a bike screaming before one of the impacts so it very much seems an 'oh poo poo i didnt see that barrier', and one of the others remains stunned still in cycling position after landing on the ground which strongly supports they have no idea what just happened

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

Lol it absolutely is correlated. We call this an "unsafe speed". If you can't see a stationary barrier then you should slow down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

thehandtruck posted:

if one was in the mood to view thousands upon thousands of osha violations per second, aka, the densest mass of osha violations on earth, what video(s) should one watch?

Honestly, just get a job at a Tesla factory and get paid while you watch the fun go down.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

As an American, I find England's Freedom to Roam laws weird. That's what you get when your country's old as balls.

It's only been around in the UK in its current form since 2000, though that law could be seen as resurrecting an old right. Either way it's a bit limited compared to other countries in northern Europe.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Other Countries: Freedom to Roam
America: Yeah just shoot people on your countryside property, it's cool.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol it absolutely is correlated. We call this an "unsafe speed". If you can't see a stationary barrier then you should slow down.

Yep. Plenty of people around my area plow into deer at insane speeds.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Cat posted:

Other Countries: Freedom to Roam
America: Yeah just shoot people on your countryside property, it's cool.

I watched that youtube guy walk across Wales in a straight line and all the 900 year old farmers would loving love to be able to shoot people walking on their piece of swampland

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mobby_6kl posted:

If I paint camouflage paint on a bollard, does that make all the cars travelling near it travel at an unsafe speed? When it was yellow they could see it, when it's camouflaged they couldn't see it to stop in time and started crashing. I argue 'no', hiding a hazard does not make road users' actions unsafe.

If you can mitigate a danger by slapping a hazard marker on it, it is a problem with the hazard and not the road users.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jabor posted:

Riding into an obstacle without even slowing down because you didn't see the obstacle at all is not really correlated with going too fast.

Actually, speed is directly correlated with how easily you can spot obstacles, react to them, and stop safely.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Actually, speed is directly correlated with how easily you can spot obstacles, react to them, and stop safely.

*paints a photorealistic tunnel onto a wall, immediately causing high speed crashes*

look at all these people traveling at unsafe speeds

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Tbh that gate looked more like unsafe road design. On public roads, i rarely find cyclists that do more than an average of 30km/h. Bit less uphill, bit more downhill.
If you cannot properly see it at 30km/h, the road's design is bad. From 30km/h on a bicycle you can come to a full stop in about 10 meters (Excluding reaction time).

Grey metal on a grey day on a grey road surface is simply hard to see, especially if there's other things to pay attentention to. There's a good reason why any gate and modal filter bollard here in Cycle Country is painted white and signal-red:

Bare galvanized steel is too hard to see from a distance. Compare the railway's gate to the chain link fence's tubular frame, on the other side of the rail. The difference is rather large.

Of course you still gotta pay attention. But a signal red and white gate is visible from a couple hundred meters away so you get plenty of chances to look into the distance again and notice it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Speed, visibility, who can say in the end? The important thing is that they had a video camera installed

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Javid posted:

still has the safety guard attached, nothing can possibly go wrong

I had to clean up the edge of a 4" line, except it was recessed into the block wall an inch or so. I put a composition blade on a Dremel rotary tool and went around the inside. Think I taped a piece of scrap wood across the handle to act as a sorta-fence.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

We like shady contraptions to compress car suspension springs here in the OSHA thread, don't we? New video from I did a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=purSYm87Cas

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Telltolin posted:

We like shady contraptions to compress car suspension springs here in the OSHA thread, don't we? New video from I did a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=purSYm87Cas

To be fair. If you don't check for traps and secret doors, when dungeoneering, it is your own fault if you fall into a trap. Not dungeon masters.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Sure, that is simultaneously true. In general, people should adjust their speed to one where they can handle any events and obstacles they can reasonably expect to come across, plus some safety margin. The question then becomes "is this gate so hard to spot that it's outside what they should reasonably expect?"

It reminds me of root cause analysis in other fields: If users keep making a mistake, blaming the users is not productive. If bikers keep slamming into a gate while going at normal bike path speed, and that doesn't happen elsewhere, then maybe the design of the gate is part of the problem.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Devor posted:

paint camouflage paint on a bollard

Now here's an idea we should get behind.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Captain Hygiene posted:

Speed, visibility, who can say in the end? The important thing is that they had a video camera installed
This is one of those philosophical trick questions. If one person installed the gate and camera they are evil. If two different people were responsible for installation, the camera installer may be evil if they did it only to laugh, neutral if they did it to laugh and prove the gate needs modified, or good if they did it to prove the gate needs modified.

There is no reason not to slap a reflector if not vibrant paint on a gate if even one person runs into it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If one person crashes into my gate and I laugh, it's their fault. If multiple people crash into my gate and I laugh, it's my fault.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Issaries posted:

To be fair. If you don't check for traps and secret doors, when dungeoneering, it is your own fault if you fall into a trap. Not dungeon masters.

Are you more likely or not to spring these traps if you are speedrunning? This is contentious apparently.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Computer viking posted:

Sure, that is simultaneously true. In general, people should adjust their speed to one where they can handle any events and obstacles they can reasonably expect to come across, plus some safety margin. The question then becomes "is this gate so hard to spot that it's outside what they should reasonably expect?"

It reminds me of root cause analysis in other fields: If users keep making a mistake, blaming the users is not productive. If bikers keep slamming into a gate while going at normal bike path speed, and that doesn't happen elsewhere, then maybe the design of the gate is part of the problem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There was an article along with the video. The house and gate are in the UK. There are just three people in an 8 month span crashing into the gate. It isn't happening every day. The gate is also not owned by the property owner and the municipality wasn't sure who was responsible for opening and shutting the gate. They should definitely make it a bit more visible, but this isn't a major issue.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I can say with 100% certainty that I would not ride my bike directly into that gate

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, make the gate more visible I guess but it's not going to do anything. It isn't camouflaged at all.

It is going to make the follow up videos even funnier.

If the 11'8" bridge has taught you anything, it should have been that people fuckup sometimes and just because they're bikers doesn't make them immune to that

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I went and put a big gently caress off reflector on the gate can you all shut the gently caress up now, 75 more idiot bikers immediately plowed into it like moths into a flame

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Konar posted:

I went and put a big gently caress off reflector on the gate can you all shut the gently caress up now, 75 more idiot bikers immediately plowed into it like moths into a flame

Now I'd pay good money to see a 75 biker pileup on the cam gate.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hawowanlawow posted:

I can say with 100% certainty that I would not ride my bike directly into that gate

Flights are so expensive now, is the thing.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

There was an article along with the video. The house and gate are in the UK. There are just three people in an 8 month span crashing into the gate. It isn't happening every day. The gate is also not owned by the property owner and the municipality wasn't sure who was responsible for opening and shutting the gate. They should definitely make it a bit more visible, but this isn't a major issue.

3 people in 8 months is a ridiculously high number, even more so because it doesn't look like some kind of super busy road.

3 in 8 years would be 'eh' territory. Still, paint the drat thing in the appropriate colors.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think the cyclists were drunk.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Imagine 4 gates at the edge of a cliff

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr. Crow posted:

Does the cliff have an appropriate railing to classify the area as a walking-working surface?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Crow posted:

Fewer than three spheres fell off the cliff within eight months. Time is not a major issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
The balls are safety yellow and we put up some cones around the cliff. Does that make a difference?