Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The highlights are a lot of awesome Fields plays where he's scrambling around and making magic happen, but then you see the ultimate outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My redeye home last night got delayed two hours, so I only had energy when I finally got back to check the score, which was good for a hearty lol

This morning I checked the box score, which was good for a hearty lmao

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Still thinking about that Vikings cowardly punt that literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night. Prevent defense prevents you from winning

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
A tale as old as time itself

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

D-LINK posted:

Still thinking about that Vikings cowardly punt that literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night. Prevent defense prevents you from winning

It seems like a ton of the logic of prevent defense is dated. In todays game huge chunk plays are normal instead of teams only taking short yardage plays. So yeah you prevent them from scoring on one play but scoring in 1:20 or so is almost just as bad.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I saw a stat this morning that there were four total passes between both teams that went past the line of scrimmage. I dunno if that’s correct but I did unfortunately watch most of the game and I could believe it. I’ve never seen so many loving WR screens in my life. And the other plays the QB was running for his life 15 yards backwards and had to toss it to the RB for a loss.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kawalimus posted:

It seems like a ton of the logic of prevent defense is dated. In todays game huge chunk plays are normal instead of teams only taking short yardage plays. So yeah you prevent them from scoring on one play but scoring in 1:20 or so is almost just as bad.

It seems worse than that, for instance

Your team is on defense with ~2mins or left in the game holding a 1 score lead. Here are the possibilities:

- The opposing offense drives and scores while using up the remaining time, you lose
- The opposing offense drives and either sputters out or turns it over, you win
- The opposing offense drives and scores quickly, you still have a shot
- The opposing offense is stopped immediately, barring some weirdness with Timeouts you win

It feels like prevent defense is gambling between the 1st and 2nd option when with a super aggressive blitz heavy defense you’re more likely to give up a quick score or get a stop than you are to give up a long drive that eats all the clock. If anything you should blitz more on the final drive, force the issue quickly whether that’s a stop or a score bc at least with a quick score you still have a chance. Prevent defense is choosing to end the game with your defense on the field and zero chance to respond on offense.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Defensive guys love that poo poo. They get to be conservative and have their defense be the saviors. Plus, when they gently caress up, no one ever calls them on it because they did the safe thing. Whereas a heavy blitz call leading to a 70 yard touchdown has every sports journalist creaming their pants at the anticipation of asking why did they call that?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

Defensive guys love that poo poo. They get to be conservative and have their defense be the saviors. Plus, when they gently caress up, no one ever calls them on it because they did the safe thing. Whereas a heavy blitz call leading to a 70 yard touchdown has every sports journalist creaming their pants at the anticipation of asking why did they call that?

I get what you're saying but consider going full aggro was Gregg Williams' calling card.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

really queer Christmas posted:

Lmao I never quite thought about it like that but yea, it’s literally the CYA move bc you won’t get ripped a new one by the press/fans. Thinking about conservative coaches as dudes just always picking the CYA option makes a lot of sense.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
aren't big chunk/"explosive" plays way down this year or did I make that up

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

indigi posted:

aren't big chunk/"explosive" plays way down this year or did I make that up

Use of quarters coverage has been rising in recent years, allowing a lot of underneath routes to eat. We’re in the dink and dunk age.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1729366741027786768

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Then he found $20

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Roasted Donut posted:

Then he found $20

Yeah but on the way out he dropped it. :(

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Did they slow clap for him? Did they hoist him on their shoulders?

He’s no Jonathon Moxon.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

NFL Week 12 Aftermath: We Appreciate You

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Use of quarters coverage has been rising in recent years, allowing a lot of underneath routes to eat. We’re in the dink and dunk age.

Tom Brady suddenly shoots up from bed in a cold sweat and doesn't know why.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I find it funny that the bears were putting up like 25 points a game with Fields out then can’t even get one touchdown when he comes back.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

if my coworkers all started chanting "we appreciate you" at me i would go postal on the place the next day

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

this is like when people clap when the plane lands

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Justin has to go if they're treating him like that. No respect, I tell ya

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Ort posted:

I find it funny that the bears were putting up like 25 points a game with Fields out then can’t even get one touchdown when he comes back.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ort posted:

The Vikings defense balled out. The box score only looks terrible (-ly funny) because nobody ever looks at the defensive stats. There are more than a few offenses that can get a touchdown or two against that D, but not all that many. I look at that less a case of "no Bears TDs" than one of "4 scoring drives versus 2".

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i appreciate him!!!!!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

mllaneza posted:

There are more than a few offenses that can get a touchdown or two against that D, but not all that many.

The only other offense that Minnesota has held to 0 TDs is the Panthers

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Per Orlovsky, Fields may be better than a bunch of backups and terrible starters. Gotta keep him.
https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1729828724042760250?s=20

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Per Orlovsky, Fields may be better than a bunch of backups and terrible starters. Gotta keep him.
https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1729828724042760250?s=20

Honestly, if he's still better than backups and terrible starters after three years of Chicago Bears coaching, it really is a point in his favor

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Black Lighter posted:

Honestly, if he's still better than backups and terrible starters after three years of Chicago Bears coaching, it really is a point in his favor

The man's a survivor. Got that Bear in him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fields better than Baker? :thunk:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fields is better than Bryce.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I honestly think fields is being sabotaged by his coaches, they refuse to run plays he is effective at. Just the typical sign of a coach who won't adapt his offense to the skills of the players he has.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Black Lighter posted:

Who on the Browns is he not better thsn??

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Wasn't Fields good last year? I remember that SNF (MNF?) game where he single-handedly housed the Patriots?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wasn't Fields good last year? I remember that SNF (MNF?) game where he single-handedly housed the Patriots?
He was very good at running the football and scoring fantasy football points.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Scipiotik posted:

I honestly think fields is being sabotaged by his coaches, they refuse to run plays he is effective at. Just the typical sign of a coach who won't adapt his offense to the skills of the players he has.
….are you saying you doubt the incredible brain trust that is Matt Eberflus and Luke Getsy?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

He was very good at running the football and scoring fantasy football points.

Is there another metric by which we measure?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Flikken posted:

Who on the Browns is he not better thsn??

I think Orlovsky was thinking Watson when he made his list. I’d absolutely take Fields in an instant over DTR and PJ loving Walker on the Browns at this point since everyone else is dead.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

No Butt Stuff posted:

Is there another metric by which we measure?

Throwing the ball, the thing the QB is supposed to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Fields is not better than Carr or Baker.