Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Unfortunately the great white north already had our Thanksgiving last month so today and tomorrow are as normal for me. I am, however, loving off for the entirety of December so I simply need to survive one more week before I can forget about doing things for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
god a month off sounds divine. I should try to pull that move sometime

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm planning for five weeks next summer :sun:

Also planning to sail more than five nautical miles. Setting the bar low post-covid (and long covid)...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Working today. I’m making $50 an hour and my last call was 4 hours ago where I told a Canadian he needs to call tomorrow because the team that he wanted to speak to is out today.

This must be what consulting feels like.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I always volunteered to work the thanksgiving day shift at the hospital when I was single.

Extra $10 an hour, free food in the cafeteria for staff, and I would sit in the office watching the parade on TV. I’d get like one or two service calls the entire day. Otherwise I’d just sit at home and order Chinese to go.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Diqnol posted:

The worst poo poo I’ve ever had to deal with was zebra printers, their license servers, and their software. By loving *far*

Zebra printers themselves were pretty good, but you're right about the licensing and software being straight rear end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

From my last job. Still worked.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
A place I worked at a whole back had a pile of newer label printers and they always required calibrating almost every time a new roll was put in. Didn't help that they kept ordering the wrong paper and ink rolls. Hated those loving things.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I had two places where I worked that had four label printers that we used very frequently. Three of them at each place worked great, but the fourth one would spit out empty labels 80% of the time. I would take them, plus all the messed up or extra labels and stick them to the underside of my desk. I started arranging them by color, so the red, yellow, and blue blobs were slowly joining together. Then I quit and left it for whoever gets my desk next

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

GreenNight posted:

From my last job. Still worked.

That's a weird boxy coffee maker.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Seen a few laptops at work that look like that microwave

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Migrationwiz gotchas

Yeah, I had a bout of that in my migrations. No, look at THESES directions. As if nobody had the authority to hide or supersede publically available steps. No matter, i'd love to see what other players are in this space because all I see is microsoft and google's migration packages. Google is the worst by far because it assumes you're migrating from o365 and not say, a M&A from another google workspace account. Don't bother reaching out to your VAR for a google mig to mig quote. I got sent a 4 figgies for 12 users (what the f uck).

Microsoft is pretty on the ball allowing tenant trusting to allow the free flow of identities before the integration but i'd probably still trust MigWiz over microsoft's own tools for the meat and potatoes data push\pulls.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I used MigrationWiz a year ago to move a client from Gsuite to O365. 10 users, charged them $2200, worked fine. Now they want to migrate back lol so thats on the December project list

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Honestly for stuff like this, I just snapshot the VM and do an in place upgrade.

Not best practice, but I got other poo poo to do!

I mean in my case this server's only purpose is to be a license server. I was thinking the same thing.
Worst case I have to build it from scratch which, I would have had to do anyway so...

incoherent posted:

Yeah, I had a bout of that in my migrations. No, look at THESES directions. As if nobody had the authority to hide or supersede publically available steps. No matter, i'd love to see what other players are in this space because all I see is microsoft and google's migration packages. Google is the worst by far because it assumes you're migrating from o365 and not say, a M&A from another google workspace account. Don't bother reaching out to your VAR for a google mig to mig quote. I got sent a 4 figgies for 12 users (what the f uck).

Microsoft is pretty on the ball allowing tenant trusting to allow the free flow of identities before the integration but i'd probably still trust MigWiz over microsoft's own tools for the meat and potatoes data push\pulls.

I recently did a migration of a single user with M$ tools and I was not expecting it to remove from the old domain and migrate to the new domain, all of the groups that the user was a part of...
That was a fun problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 25, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What I really enjoy doing is spending ten days on implementing a project where all the technical objectives are met but such a dogshit job was done by the people that went before me that it's not what was actually wanted. I love wasting my time.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJ0UNq4Zhc

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Think I just got the bottom of the barrel IT ticket submission.

The entire ticket as written “a vendor stated that they didn’t pass an “intelliscore”. Can you please explain this?”

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Ask them if they can explain how that is relevant to IT in response

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Coworker was supposed to be in the office all week packing

So needless to say I'm the only one here

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Reoxygenation posted:

I am extremely confident that they tried to purchase/get a quote for an IT related function without going through us.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Incredible. What are the odds that nothing bad will happen to them because well why would they get punished?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like the deadline won't be met due to lack of staff, oh well!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Reoxygenation posted:

Incredible. What are the odds that nothing bad will happen to them because well why would they get punished?

It’s nearly a weekly occurrence at this point but leadership doesn’t care, they are just collecting their paychecks on the sinking ship.

Though if our credit is so bad we can’t get a basic nvr installed, we are deeper than I expected.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

What I really enjoy doing is spending ten days on implementing a project where all the technical objectives are met but such a dogshit job was done by the people that went before me that it's not what was actually wanted. I love wasting my time.

This feels like literally every project I'm not the lead on and subsequently have to wind up cleaning up after.
Though I think my director has caught onto this and stopped a bunch of ongoing projects and told us to start over. So at least I don't have to fix a bunch of really terrible half assed poo poo once it's done, but now I have to be involved in literally every project that gets implemented. :smith:

In happier news... Director also realized that they're never going to be able to hire a network engineer for the money they're offering so they decided it's probably better to split my Systems Engineer position between systems and network so now I have two jobs :toot:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

We still don't have leases signed or movers scheduled how in Lain's holy name do you gently caress up an office move this badly

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

tokin opposition posted:

We still don't have leases signed or movers scheduled how in Lain's holy name do you gently caress up an office move this badly

you could do worse.
you could come to work to find out that there are a fifty people downstairs waiting to get into the new office, and that huge stack of boxes out front of the building is their cubicles.
and of course everyone just expected the 2 person IT department was going to bring them in and put them together and set up the computers that don't exist because nobody told us...

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Logged in to a message of a sales person who messaged me like an hour before I start working asking me for help because 'they are disconnected from our cloud environment', which I don't know how that is even possible considering you sent me a message using the exact infrastructure they are claiming to be disconnected from (also outside of my work hours)?

Unironically a funny way to start the day

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Reoxygenation posted:

They used a computer at some point

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Logged in to a message of a sales person who messaged me like an hour before I start working asking me for help because 'they are disconnected from our cloud environment', which I don't know how that is even possible considering you sent me a message using the exact infrastructure they are claiming to be disconnected from (also outside of my work hours)?

Unironically a funny way to start the day

Update : their internet was spotty and it meant their emails weren't updating

I am not quite sure how they managed to form the conclusion that they 'can't connect to the cloud', I guess they sent a message from their phone.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So some of the finance people are finally sick of a bunch of our legacy data being in Citrix and want to get it out to either sharepoint or a more modern Azure storage solution. Does anyone have experience in Citrix data export, how much of a pain in the rear end is this going to be?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Reoxygenation posted:

Update : their internet was spotty and it meant their emails weren't updating

I am not quite sure how they managed to form the conclusion that they 'can't connect to the cloud', I guess they sent a message from their phone.

Users just fuckin say things and have no idea what words mean. Like 50% of the work of resolving tickets at my job is deciphering what the user is actually trying to say because the ticket will say "the printer isn't working" and it's actually that they aren't at their desk and don't have access to the network printers from the public wifi

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

LionYeti posted:

So some of the finance people are finally sick of a bunch of our legacy data being in Citrix and want to get it out to either sharepoint or a more modern Azure storage solution. Does anyone have experience in Citrix data export, how much of a pain in the rear end is this going to be?
Either I'm over thinking this, or you are. What kind of data are you trying to get out of Citrix?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's legacy data that can only be accessed via old apps then having that be a self-contained virtual desktop environment seems quite smart, as long as it's being maintained for as long as the data is needed for.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've only ever used citrix as an access layer, and doing what your saying would involve tools from the service being accessed not citrix itself

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Citrix is just a fancy Remote Desktop system.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Remote connection software has to be lovely by law

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

johnny park posted:

Users just fuckin say things and have no idea what words mean. Like 50% of the work of resolving tickets at my job is deciphering what the user is actually trying to say because the ticket will say "the printer isn't working" and it's actually that they aren't at their desk and don't have access to the network printers from the public wifi

Yeah, I've got some scientists I support that we love dearly. They have multiple patents to their name, work with high tech equipment, mass spectrometers, totally loaded PCs with 2x32 core Xeons with 512GB RAM, and we could still run a pool on what the actual situation is for every single ticket they put in.

I should have insisted on more rigorous testing on the 64 physical core system. It has dual 48GB GPUs. I shoulda brought my Index headset in and put MSFS2020 on it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, I've got some scientists I support that we love dearly. They have multiple patents to their name, work with high tech equipment, mass spectrometers, totally loaded PCs with 2x32 core Xeons with 512GB RAM, and we could still run a pool on what the actual situation is for every single ticket they put in.

I should have insisted on more rigorous testing on the 64 physical core system. It has dual 48GB GPUs. I shoulda brought my Index headset in and put MSFS2020 on it.
Research scientists are extra special because they're constantly code switching between academic publication language and pointing and grunting like cave people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The PhD's I work with have already decided what the solution is when they open the ticket, it's not a request for help it's a command.

If I push back on their stupidity they whine about it up the chain until someone gets annoyed and tells me to do what they want. They bring in the grant money so they get to control everything.