Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Well Played Mauer posted:

I saw an F-150 from the 90s at a red light next to a modern F-150 and the new one was a foot higher and wider. I know trucks and SUVs are marketed at insecure people but how soon until people are just buying an Abrams tank with cup holders on a 120-month financing plan?

I saw an SUV commercial where the vehicle comes with a bulletproof vest and an army helmet. For picking up the kids from soccer practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

lol at the glass bottom Camry

edit: don't confuse this with excusing the child murder mobiles

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I just wish they made decent smaller pickups so I had a chance of getting a decent second hand truck that isn't larger than a bus.

Also the new Ranger looks like rear end.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Outrail posted:

I just wish they made decent smaller pickups so I had a chance of getting a decent second hand truck that isn't larger than a bus.

Also the new Ranger looks like rear end.

There will never be trucks that look and are sized like 90's tacomas and rangers/b-series again :(

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The ford maverick is pretty close but tbh I am just gonna import a kei truck

duncandisorderly
Nov 24, 2023

QuasiQuack posted:

I've never used a self check out without stealing something and if a cop is reading this they can straight gently caress off. They're a cost saving measure, but who said it should only apply to the store?!

yep.

I stopped being poor enough to need to shoplift a thousand years ago, but I still do it.

in sainsburys, I do the 'carrots' thing, where anything expensive & heavy goes through the transaction as a big bag of carrots (just dump it onto the scales & don't scan the b/c).

round the corner here is one of those business-park-convenient-mini-markets that has one person there to sell grown-up stuff (baccy, booze), one person to stack shelves, & one security guard. sometimes two. there are ten self-serve checkouts, & while the volume is turned right up on these things, it's only to tell the shop employees that the thing is actually doing something to take money from you while you lob stuff into your bag.
no-one checks.
the trick is to pick two or three things up in one hand & wave ONE barcode at the scanner.
instant discount.

no, I don't have any conscience about this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MrQwerty posted:

There will never be trucks that look and are sized like 90's tacomas and rangers/b-series again :(

Let me out of this world

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

There will never be trucks that look and are sized like 90's hardbodies again :(

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Cerekk posted:

A 2023 F-150 is 4.6 inches higher and 0.9 inches wider than a 1995 F-150.

Did you choose 72 months or 86?

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The ford maverick is pretty close but tbh I am just gonna import a kei truck

I know U-Haul placed an order for a bunch of Ford Mavericks a couple years back and has gotten like 5.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Well Played Mauer posted:

Did you choose 72 months or 86?

I have a Maverick that I paid cash for.

"Full size trucks are huge now" is a dumb complaint because full size trucks have always been huge. And about a billion Colorados/Tacomas/Rangers/Canyons are sold per year, all of which are smaller than whatever old-rear end full size truck you're nostalgic for.

If you want an actual legitimate truck complaint, complain about the disappearance of true compact trucks.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

Aren't there EPA regs that severely disfavor small trucks because the EPA is totally captured by the auto industry and exists to greenwash the sorts of cars that are most profitable?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cerekk posted:

I have a Maverick that I paid cash for.

"Full size trucks are huge now" is a dumb complaint because full size trucks have always been huge. And about a billion Colorados/Tacomas/Rangers/Canyons are sold per year, all of which are smaller than whatever old-rear end full size truck you're nostalgic for.

If you want an actual legitimate truck complaint, complain about the disappearance of true compact trucks.

A 1993 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed is almost exactly the same dimensions as a 2019 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab. The Tacoma has more horses :v:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Vampire Panties posted:

A 1993 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed is almost exactly the same dimensions as a 2019 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab. The Tacoma has more horses :v:

Extended cab short bed is exactly where trucks first took the lovely turn

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cerekk posted:

This is a weird take when my '18 Canyon is three feet longer than my '70 C10, the same height as my C10, and the only dimension where it's smaller is width - by five inches.

The Canyon is effectively what a full-size truck was up until a decade ago.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

tactlessbastard posted:

I only need a 6.5 foot long bed if I get a truck. The Nissan Frontier is the only midsize truck I would consider getting new.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

smart cars et al were really good and the world hosed up by not embracing them

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

GolfHole posted:

smart cars et al were really good and the world hosed up by not embracing them

Smart cars only got 31-33 mpg in city driving and required premium gas, meanwhile a Prius or Corolla hybrid gets 57 or 53 while being able to carry 4 people and groceries.

Their whole selling point was being small and efficient for urban environments but they sucked rear end at it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

:hmmyes: but the short bed here is 6 feet, as compared to the long bed of 8 feet.

Toupee Groupie posted:

I only need a 6.5 foot long bed if I get a truck. The Nissan Frontier is the only midsize truck I would consider getting new.

:same: had three nissan trucks - 720, Hardbody, and Frontier - and they were all fantastic. I have a 2019 Tacoma now (a loving short bed because I'm stupid :rolleyes:) and I cant wait to trade that thing in for either a Frontier or some sort of van

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As someone who’s had to work on a friend’s smart car a lot they loving suck please just buy a prius

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
People's commuter should ideally... well ideally it would be a large vehicle that's shared and publically owned like a bus or train, but ideally a commuter car should be something like an electric smart car or a tuk-tuk with a sealed shell. I see so many people commuting in empty minivans and pickup trucks and it's so wasteful on both fuel and physical space in general.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Things work pretty well in China.
There are two main vehicle types that keep the economy going:

The "ebike" (electric-powered moped, has been called an ebike for longer than the word has been commonly used in the west to refer to electric-assist pedal bike).
~40-60kph max speed, ~50-100km max range.
They are cheap (~$350-700), zippy, get people where they need to go, and charge from empty on normal power supplies in ~4-6 hours (i.e.: during a work day or overnight).

The bright-turqoise-painted electric open-bed trike-truck.
These things carry anything and everything, from consumer goods to construction materials to construction crews to entire food stalls or sound systems. If you order something, it probably comes on one of these.

Between those two vehicle types, plus municipal bikes and buses, ~70-80% of short-range road transport gets handled cheaply and quickly.

Unfortunately the government is trying to encourage car ownership for ??? reasons, but for now that stuff works really well.

For some weird reasons the cars keep getting bigger every year here as well.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oh wow, you made me flashback to my 1988 Honda Civic, in which I could not see the hood while driving. It was like you and the wheel, and there's the road right there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Oh wow, you made me flashback to my 1988 Honda Civic, in which I could not see the hood while driving. It was like you and the wheel, and there's the road right there.

Subaru has really mastered the art of the seating and dash position, it's really impressive. My mom's old '99 Legacy, all my friends' WRXs, and the 2012 Outback my mom sold my girlfriend - they all have this perfect feel to the seating and dash position, physical and visual ergonomics-wise.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 29, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

redshirt posted:

This but with my Suzuki Sidekick

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

MrQwerty posted:

Subaru has really mastered the art of the seating and dash position, it's really impressive. My mom's old '99 Legacy, all my friends' WRXs, and the 2012 Outback my mom sold my girlfriend - they all have this perfect feel to the seating and dash position, physical and visual ergonomics-wise.

They're also more comfortable for sleeping than you'd expect for a non-luxury brand

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Whoa, that's pretty scary. I have a Subaru Forester and it's hard to imagine having a front blind spot more than double the size. I once had a young cyclist try to hurry across the road in front of me when it was raining. He immediately slipped and fell right in my path and I slammed on my brakes, only coming to a stop when I could no longer see him over my hood at all. (He was fine!) If a whole rear end bike and teenager can be invisible to me, I'd hate to double that.

Edit: I saw that this chart was based on people who are 5'4". I am shorter than that and my grandma is like 4'11" so it's probably even worse for shorties and/or olds.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 29, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

They're also more comfortable for sleeping than you'd expect for a non-luxury brand

:hmmyes:

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Netflix recommendations make YouTube recommendations look like mind reading.

Yo, I said "Not for me," I never want to see Adam Sandler's goddamn face again

This is really old but… many years ago I went to a machine learning conference where Netflix discussed their recommendation algorithm. I thought it’d be good for a laugh because their recommendations have always been loving terrible.

Anyway, this was after they took away the star ratings, when they had thumbs up/thumbs down. They apparently completely ignored these ratings because not enough people actually clicked on the star ratings or thumbs up/down, so they went entirely based on whether you watched something or not, including if you clicked it accidentally or hated it and stopped watching it midway through. (Note that it’s unclear whether they actually ever used this model, very frequently people will give tech talks on projects that flop internally for their career growth/free paid trips).

In general, some actual good recommendation algorithms like Spotify try to optimize simultaneously for giving artists exposure as well as showing people things they like, but these days most ranking algorithms run in multiple stages where first they determine which of the “promoted” poo poo to show you, then after that they show you what the actual things you want to see are.

Google Search has probably been brought up a million times already, they along with Amazon are by far the worst offenders.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

As someone who’s had to work on a friend’s smart car a lot they loving suck please just buy a prius
Priuses also get much better mileage. In addition to being tiny, smart cars have dogshit aerodynamics so they only get 40 mpg highway.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Chrome moved the downloads bar to a weird pop up bubble and goddamnit does this tick me off

Like, why. Who asked for that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think they made a similar change years ago and it taught me to always use ctrl-j to get to downloads

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

teen witch posted:

Chrome moved the downloads bar to a weird pop up bubble and goddamnit does this tick me off

Sorry, had to “innovate”.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Sorry, had to “innovate”.

Bonuses were at stake :hai:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Just switch to Firefox. Just switch to Firefox! It's not lovely! Yet!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

teen witch posted:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Spotify added audiobooks? I don't want audiobooks. On desktop I can use browser scripts to filter out the elements for audiobooks and podcasts, but the app is AFAIK not something you can edit like that

I don't want to hear audiobooks when I'm listening to music

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Rochallor posted:

Just switch to Firefox. Just switch to Firefox! It's not lovely! Yet!

I did this for 99% of my browser stuff and it was surprisingly painless, it's been a long time since I used Firefox and it has gotten a lot better in the meantime

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

teen witch posted:

https://blog.chromium.org/2023/08/redesigning-chrome-downloads-to-keep.html?m=1

quote:

What influenced your decision to redesign Chrome downloads?
Downloads are a core part of day to day web browsing, from getting the perfect cat themed background for your PC to saving a copy of your tax return. Over the years, we have listened to your feedback about the legacy Chrome downloads experience. We learned that while there was a lot about it that worked well for you, like strong support for core download journeys and built-in protection from potentially harmful files, it had its problems too. For example, it –
  • Occupied precious pixels at the bottom of the screen which squeezed the web content area, and was limited by screen width in how many files it could show at once
  • Didn't go away automatically, and only offered actions such as pause/resume and open in folder from a fixed overflow menu
  • Was no longer modern, interactive, and consistent with the look and feel of other browser UI or the browser ecosystem at large

All this made it clear that there was room for improvement for us to create a more intuitive experience for downloading in Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ah, it took up valuable ad-serving space.