Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/middleeasteye/status/1729833740514304168?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Well, poo poo. It's genuinely remarkable that there hasn't been a major West Bank uprising yet, given the steady stream of atrocities there. Feels like it can only be a matter of time, no matter how heavily repressed the residents are.

According to ISW, there's some armed resistance occuring. ISW is going to be very pro-western military complex (imo), just an FYI for this source if you're unfamiliar.

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1729712099977256970

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/iran-update-november-28-2023

quote:

Axis of Resistance campaign objectives:

Draw IDF assets and resources toward the West Bank and fix them there

Hamas fighters clashed with Israeli forces in Tubas and assisted a Hamas member to evade Israeli arrest on November 28.[29] Hamas fighters used IEDs and small arms fire against Israeli soldiers.[30] Israeli forces assaulted a building in which a Hamas member was barricaded before escaping.[31] The al Qassem Brigades Tubas wing said that it is continuing to resist Israel and that the confrontation will be a long fight.[32]

Clashes continued between Israeli forces and Palestinian fighters in at least three other locations in the West Bank on November 28. Unidentified Palestinian fighters separately targeted Israeli forces with IEDs in Dheisheh refugee camp near Bethlehem and fired small arms at Israeli forces in three other towns.[33] The IDF furthermore said on November 28 that Israeli forces conducted overnight raids and arrested 13 individuals throughout the West Bank.[34] The IDF stated that its forces confiscated small arms, knives, incendiary materials, and military equipment in Hebron.[35]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They keep trying to talk about a ‘two-state solution’ but conveniently ignore the details about how that would actually happen

Like I think even a lot of Palestinian activists have long since given up on that being a possibility

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Nothing will fundamentally change.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

They keep trying to talk about a ‘two-state solution’ but conveniently ignore the details about how that would actually happen

Like I think even a lot of Palestinian activists have long since given up on that being a possibility

The two-state solution is a political cadaver. It's still a useful fig leaf to let the current policies go on because as long as there is a single palestinian ghetto surrounded by barbed wire and bombed every other week, the Blinken and their peers can still go "Ahem, we're working for peace between the peoples and hopefully we can advance at some unspecified date."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FlamingLiberal posted:

If the US had any intentions of a two-state solution that involved a sovereign Palestine, they would actively push back against settlements, which are both war crimes and deliberately sabotaging any hopes of a non-Bantustan Palestinian state. It's a convenient lie because it sounds believable so long as you don't actually look into what Israel is doing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Anyone with power in Israel fully rejects the two state solution too so it's just a complete farce.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Whelp, there goes that, I guess. Serves me right for posting a tweet and getting my hopes up before there is another official statement of full support for Israel.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah - they posted about it on Telegram. As I understand it they were firing rockets very frequently prior to the ground invasion.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rocket-to-blame

I believe PIJ also claimed a missile attack at around the same time but I can't currently find a source on that.

e: honestly, I don't see how Hamas would've even known themselves until they inspected the fragments they recovered from the scene. It's not like these rockets are gonna give you GPS feedback or anything.

You're right, I actually tracked down the exact tg post from that Guardian article when it was first published but for some reason misremembered whose channel it was.

Paladinus posted:

Found the original tg post:
https://t.me/hamasps/16836

It looks like it is HAMAS' official tg channel, there are google results about it prior to Oct 7. I don't speak Arabic so don't know how accurate the translation is, but Google gives me this:

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 29, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

"To continue down the path of terror, violence, killing, and war is to give Hamas what they seek. We can’t do that" -- was a reference to how Hamas does not want peace, and not a reference to Israel.

"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself." - WH official to man being beaten while held down.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hamas is THE impediment to a two-state solution which is why we successfully got one in the twenty years before it was founded and the twenty years after that where they held no power.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
How do you tell the difference between a PIJ rocket and a Hamas rocket.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

Whelp, there goes that, I guess. Serves me right for posting a tweet and getting my hopes up before there is another official statement of full support for Israel.
I think Biden is just trying to cover his rear end before the war resumes. It wouldn't surprise me if Israel invades southern Gaza next.

I don't like Hamas or religious fundamentalists of any faith, but one reason why the Zionist lobby critique doesn't sit right with me is Biden's line about how if Israel doesn't exist then the U.S. would've created one. It's like... only if not for that... the U.S. would act according to its values! It's not anti-Semitic necessarily within its own scope but it superficially shares that notion with anti-Semitic discourse which might criticize the "king" but never the "crown."

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Ograbme posted:

How do you tell the difference between a PIJ rocket and a Hamas rocket.

Sigint connected to the launch?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If the US had any intentions of a two-state solution that involved a sovereign Palestine, they would actively push back against settlements, which are both war crimes and deliberately sabotaging any hopes of a non-Bantustan Palestinian state. It's a convenient lie because it sounds believable so long as you don't actually look into what Israel is doing.

The US does push back against settlements, at least within the limits of its absolute refusal to back up its pushback with actual action. For instance, the Obama administration openly demanded a settlement freeze, and continued to do so for pretty much his entire presidency. But when Netanyahu ignored him, he fell into the same trap that US attitudes toward Israel have long taken: an unwillingness to back up his demands with actual consequences for refusing.

In the end, the only actual action Obama took against Netanyahu or Israel for that was choosing not to veto a single UN resolution condemning the settlements. And even that only happened after the 2016 election, in his lame duck period when he no longer had to worry about elections - he'd been perfectly happy to veto a similar UN resolution back in 2011.

Ultimately, that's the big issue in US involvement: the US is unwilling to pressure Israel with anything more than mild criticism, but there's no political will to make that criticism anything more than empty words. On the other hand, the US is willing to put quite a bit of pressure on Palestinian factions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come the U.S. doesn't at the very least go after dual citizens that are American and taking part in illegal settlements, and even settlement terrorism?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Main Paineframe posted:

The US does push back against settlements, at least within the limits of its absolute refusal to back up its pushback with actual action. For instance, the Obama administration openly demanded a settlement freeze, and continued to do so for pretty much his entire presidency. But when Netanyahu ignored him, he fell into the same trap that US attitudes toward Israel have long taken: an unwillingness to back up his demands with actual consequences for refusing.

In the end, the only actual action Obama took against Netanyahu or Israel for that was choosing not to veto a single UN resolution condemning the settlements. And even that only happened after the 2016 election, in his lame duck period when he no longer had to worry about elections - he'd been perfectly happy to veto a similar UN resolution back in 2011.

Ultimately, that's the big issue in US involvement: the US is unwilling to pressure Israel with anything more than mild criticism, but there's no political will to make that criticism anything more than empty words. On the other hand, the US is willing to put quite a bit of pressure on Palestinian factions.

I think it says a lot about US/Israel relations that Obama and Netanyahu had a notably bad relationship and were viewed (at the time) as a low point.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inside-barack-obama-benjamin-netanyahus-strained-relationship/story?id=44414492
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/world/middleeast/israel-benjamin-netanyahu-barack-obama.html

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I said come in! posted:

How come the U.S. doesn't at the very least go after dual citizens that are American and taking part in illegal settlements, and even settlement terrorism?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Israel_Public_Affairs_Committee

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

vuk83 posted:

Sigint connected to the launch?

Israel does not have any of that. Sigint that is.

https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/1729935192716980400

quote:

Tonight, the cornerstone is laid in the Gaza Strip for the settlement "Ofir" named after the former head of the Negev Gate Council, the late Ofir Liebstein, who was murdered by Hamas. Ofir was a leader, a man of the Land of Israel, a man of construction, a man of settlement. Children will grow up here And girls who will be educated about his contribution, his heroism and his sacrifice. We will restore the settlements, expand the settlements and add more settlements. The wheat will grow again.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Prosecuting them for crimes committed in the West Bank would be extremely difficult without Israeli cooperation, and Congress is unlikely to pass laws making that easier.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/18/biden-orders-top-aides-to-prepare-reprimands-for-violent-israeli-settlers-in-west-bank-00127940

quote:

President Joe Biden directed top officials to prepare visa bans and sanctions for extremist Israeli settlers attacking and displacing Palestinians in the West Bank, according to an internal document read to POLITICO.

The Cabinet memo, sent to senior aides like Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Friday, orders their agencies “to develop policy options for expeditious action against those responsible for the conduct of violence in the West Bank.”
The targets for reprimands are broadly defined in the memo. They include people or entities that “have directly or indirectly engaged in actions or policies that threaten the security or stability of the West Bank,” take “actions that intimidate civilians in the West Bank with the purpose or effect of forcing displacement actions in the West Bank,” or make moves “that constitute human rights abuses or violations and actions that significantly obstruct, disrupt or prevent efforts to achieve a two-state solution.”

The memo notes that Biden sees the settler-violence issue as a “serious threat” to peace among Israelis and Palestinians and destabilizing throughout the Middle East.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I wonder how they will define both illegal settlements and 'violent settler'. Will you have to be condemned by an israeli court? Merely mentioned in a case?

It's kind of a ridiculous waffling as it is, with Bibi expanding the settlements into newly-conquered land right this moment. "This situation will not stands, it's a flagrant violation of existing deals and UN charters, and you can go full throttle as long as you don't put too many americans in your racism colonies!"

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Am happy to extend/withdraw the word thin here. ...

Yeah this is just a great post. I think it's a tremendous achievement that Judaism was able to remain a "globally synchronized" religion over time, with a lot of genius innovation and hard work, but obviously this wasn't sufficient to build a national ethos, there was a lot of other innovation and work that went into building those myths and ideas.

I said come in! posted:

Obviously they should, but is the US government generally active in going after dual citizens who commit serious crimes to non-Americans overseas? Even if that's common, I doubt it's common when there's a 100% chance that the citizen will be supported and protected by the state where they are currently.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Biden also recently delayed shipment of 4,500 rifles to Israeli security squads due to concerns that those weapons will be handed over to right-wing settlers and used in attacks on Palestinians in the West Bank. Not sure how common that action is, or if it's an indication that the US may go further at some point.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-said-to-delay-shipment-of-weapons-for-security-squads-due-to-ben-gvirs-conduct/

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't think anyone is thinking that Israel is declaring new township inside Gaza, but just in case - the translation is wrong (rather than Gaza Strip it says Otef Aza, meaning around Gaza, the name for the area near Gaza).

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I believe PIJ also claimed a missile attack at around the same time but I can't currently find a source on that.
It was a different terrorist group that credited PIJ for the Al Ahli bombing: https://www.idf.il/en/mini-sites/ha...ctober-18-2023/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Looks like since Israel is keeping the ceasefire limited to Gaza, Hamas also decided that other occupied territories are a fair game.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67575684

quote:

Three Israelis were killed and 16 injured after two Palestinian gunmen opened fire at a crowded bus stop in West Jerusalem, Israeli police say.
Video showed the attackers getting out of a car on a highway and shooting at people with a rifle and a pistol.
Off-duty soldiers and a civilian at the scene killed the gunmen, who police said were from occupied East Jerusalem.
Hamas claimed the pair as its members and said the attack was a response to Israeli "crimes" in Gaza and elsewhere.

I know that Hamas are not as numerous outside of Gaza, but how much trouble outside of small-scale terror attacks like that can they cause? There were reports about rockets launched from West Bank before Oct 7, but not much since. I imagine Hamas want to involve all Palestinian territories in the war effort and will try to ramp up their activity outside of Gaza. Is it something they are likely to accomplish with attacks like that coupled with being seen as responsible for bringing people back home from Israeli prisons?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Due to the west bank being so locked down hamas and other groups have very limited ability to recruit, organize, arm and train there, so a lot of it is attacks like this.

Because of the fracturing and surveillance of Palestinian communities in the west bank they tend to come from larger communities like Nablus where there are enclaves like the Lions Den, who formed last year. However they are not nearly as well equipped and trained as those in Gaza. So I dont think they see enough value in involving those forces outside of the implicit threat of retaliation that they carry.

Also to note:
Israel also doesnt consider the occupied territories part of the truce and has been doing near daily raids and mass arrests on Palestinians in the west bank, and this attack is most probably directly spurred by the killing of two children in broad view of cameras yesterday.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 30, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Looks like since Israel is keeping the ceasefire limited to Gaza, Hamas also decided that other occupied territories are a fair game.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67575684

I know that Hamas are not as numerous outside of Gaza, but how much trouble outside of small-scale terror attacks like that can they cause? There were reports about rockets launched from West Bank before Oct 7, but not much since. I imagine Hamas want to involve all Palestinian territories in the war effort and will try to ramp up their activity outside of Gaza. Is it something they are likely to accomplish with attacks like that coupled with being seen as responsible for bringing people back home from Israeli prisons?

Israel sniped two children in the West Bank earlier yesterday. Popped on twitter and the first thing I saw was an 8 year old getting domed.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://www.972mag.com/mass-assassination-factory-israel-calculated-bombing-gaza/

This is a pretty damning indictment of the entire Israeli security apparatus and should lay to rest any claims that Israel is doing all it can to limit civilian deaths and injuries.

+972 posted:

Several of the sources, who spoke to +972 and Local Call on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that the Israeli army has files on the vast majority of potential targets in Gaza — including homes — which stipulate the number of civilians who are likely to be killed in an attack on a particular target. This number is calculated and known in advance to the army’s intelligence units, who also know shortly before carrying out an attack roughly how many civilians are certain to be killed.

In one case discussed by the sources, the Israeli military command knowingly approved the killing of hundreds of Palestinian civilians in an attempt to assassinate a single top Hamas military commander. “The numbers increased from dozens of civilian deaths [permitted] as collateral damage as part of an attack on a senior official in previous operations, to hundreds of civilian deaths as collateral damage,” said one source.

“Nothing happens by accident,” said another source. “When a 3-year-old girl is killed in a home in Gaza, it’s because someone in the army decided it wasn’t a big deal for her to be killed — that it was a price worth paying in order to hit [another] target. We are not Hamas. These are not random rockets. Everything is intentional. We know exactly how much collateral damage there is in every home.”

Really read the whole thing though, it's insane how they just do not care about the lives of anyone who lives in Gaza.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Israel sniped two children in the West Bank earlier yesterday. Popped on twitter and the first thing I saw was an 8 year old getting domed.

That's what the attack was directly in response to, although, as mentioned above, Israel's been conducting raids and detaining Palestinians at an unprecedented rate after the Oct 7 attack, and the ceasefire doesn't affect that at all. On the flipside, the ceasefire in Gaza is also doesn't seem to be affected by Israel's actions elsewhere, and will be extended as long as Hamas are willing to exchange more hostages.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Israel is going to bury the hundreds of cars that got blown up at the music festival. Imo pretty clear cut destruction of evidence

https://jpost.com/israel-news/article-774511

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

Israel is going to bury the hundreds of cars that got blown up at the music festival. Imo pretty clear cut destruction of evidence

https://jpost.com/israel-news/article-774511

Evidence of what?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

Evidence of what?

The IDF blowing people up at the music festival. Notably, all of those cars.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is this or joke or we going with “IDF deepfaked all the footage”

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Im sure Hamas killed a lot of people at the festival, it seems unlikely they destroyed hundreds of vehicles though. Likely the IDF killed many civilians with their own indiscriminate fire which has been documented by numerous outlets.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Im sure Hamas killed a lot of people at the festival, it seems unlikely they destroyed hundreds of vehicles though. Likely the IDF killed many civilians with their own indiscriminate fire which has been documented by numerous outlets.

Maybe Hamas actually had helicopters and tanks, because why else would helicopters and tanks be at a music festival blowing up people

Edit: whoops thought this was the other thread sorry.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is this or joke or we going with “IDF deepfaked all the footage”

I guess we'll never know if they destroy the evidence.

Likely the IDF killed many civilians with their own indiscriminate fire which has been documented by numerous outlets.

This, too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You need to set just a few cars on fire to take out a huge parking lot because they're all packed together and burn very hot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boomtown-fair-music-festival-fire-hampshire-evacuated-80-cars-destroyed-a7189156.html

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

similar looking, but we also have images of individual vehicles outside of the lot that have been obliterated.

we also have Israeli police stating that the IDF hit civilians with at least one attack helicopter on the scene.

"According to a police source, the investigation also shows that an IDF combat helicopter that arrived to the scene and fired at terrorists there apparently also hit some festival participants,”

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...000?shem=ssusxt

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are confirmed reports of civilians who died from IDF's fire, like this man in Nahal Oz

https://www.haaretz.co.il/news/politics/2023-10-15/ty-article/.premium/0000018b-32e1-dff1-a5eb-fefd9bce0000

Haaretz also reported that the police investigation revealed that an Israeli helicopter fired at the ravers (not clear if any of them died and how many were injured as a result).

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...ef-f7fe8ca20000

quote:

According to a police source, the investigation also indicates that an IDF combat helicopter that arrived to the scene and fired at terrorists there apparently also hit some festival participants

There were also some fake/misinterpreted videos allegedly showing helicopters firing at vehicles at the festival, but they were actually from Gaza proper. Another video alleged that there was a tank at the festival from the start and it was also false to my knowledge.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

That's pretty unlikely, because survivor accounts suggest that the IDF didn't arrive at the music festival until three hours after Hamas attacked it. By that time, most of the civilians had likely been killed or captured.