Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The funny thing is that the first few drops instantly turn to steam upon hitting the ground. The ground is hot enough to boil water.

Jim's having his big speech while in the galaxy's worst sauna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kith posted:

To be fair, volcanic climates actually experience frequent rainfall due to constantly boiling off every bit of moisture in the area.

that cutscene sucks real fuckin bad though

Wouldn't that rain also probably be either real acidic or real alkaline, too?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

So one thing that strikes me about this Xel'naga artifact is that it can ostensibly de-zergify a zergified creature, which is fine, but... considering that zergified humans did not exist when the Xel'naga did, it seems odd that it would specifically target them.

I could maybe buy that the Xel'naga had it as a testbed for messing with the Zerg infestation during their own experiments,so that it might AoE de-zergify a LOT of creatures, whipping them back to their OG DNA and out of Overmind control, but I can't really believe it only affects humans or that it's laser-targeted at one person.

I think it would be way more interesting if it had some big, unrelated effect that coincidentally could also de-zergify people. Like maybe it separates things of alien nature, so it would also rip out a cyborg's augmentations, or maybe it literally rolls back time for an area/creatures, or something.

There's a lot more going on with that artifact in the later campaigns.

And by "a lot more" I basically mean "it does whatever space magic the plot needs".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
to be fair, it is pretty funny for Raynor to give a heroic speech that boils down to "the real Xel'Naga artifact was the friends we made along the way"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't remember what the artifact gets up to later and won't defend it, but given that one of the actors here is the inscrutable Dr. Narud who masterminded the collection of these particular fragments and assembled them in his lab, I don't think it's a stretch that it's capable of this specific act of bullshit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

PurpleXVI posted:

Wouldn't that rain also probably be either real acidic or real alkaline, too?

Now that I think about it, that whole cutscene might have been saved if Jim started giving the heroic speech… and then either begins hacking up his lungs because he left his helmet open, or Tychus has to tackle him into cover while shouting at him for doing something so stupid in a place where his face could melt off.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

PurpleXVI posted:

I could maybe buy that the Xel'naga had it as a testbed for messing with the Zerg infestation during their own experiments,so that it might AoE de-zergify a LOT of creatures,

Now I'm picturing the artifact turning a zergling rush into fluffy pomeranians.

That's a missed opportunity, Blizzard.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

I think it would be way more interesting if it had some big, unrelated effect that coincidentally could also de-zergify people. Like maybe it separates things of alien nature, so it would also rip out a cyborg's augmentations, or maybe it literally rolls back time for an area/creatures, or something.

Without getting into too many details and thus too terribly spoilery - while not in that exact manner, that's... kind of the most consistent throughline for what the artifact actually "does" across the campaigns? It's mostly handwavey space magic but if there's anything consistent to it, as I recall it's kinda that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Given the level of writing it just feels like what it does changes arbitrarily.
:ughh:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I've made it about halfway through LotV now, and while I was expecting the story to wear its influences on its sleeve, I wasn't expecting these particular influences lol. Dunno how much discussion we can have about that since the LotV LP is at least a few years away atm, I think.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
While I'm mulling over these games plots in my head again, I'm curious: other than the recording of Mengsk wanting to rule the sector or see it burnt to ashes, what's actually inspiring the people to want to rise against him? Like, don't get me wrong, that's pretty hosed up, but assuming he'd laughed it off at that press conference as a deepfake (like, it's hundreds of years in the future, you'd think they'd have the technology to do that by then) instead of freaking out about it, what would've happened? Other than gunning down a civvie in the first mission and having some generically dystopian loudspeakers and billboards, the Dominion as shown in game doesn't seem like a bad place to live. Before the Zerg showed up, he'd managed to begin recolonizing planets ravaged in the last war, the city maps show a pretty high level of technology, and instead of just having Kate Lockwell disappeared, he seems willing to tolerate dissent in the press to some extent. We know why Raynor wants to rebel, but what would lead to the other people of the Dominion rebelling as well?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
The dystopia of the Dominion is primarily implicit, rather than explicit. Someone calling themselves Emperor who polices the press' freedom of speech aggressively, it usually someone who has people's families disappeared and a creative array of torture tools.

But yeah, I agree, it would help us have a stronger connection if we spent more time dealing with Mengsk's crimes than looking for magic thingies and looking at orbs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mengsk was probably something approaching a breath of fresh air for not even bothering with the pretense that he was anything other than an autocrat, unlike the Confederacy.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

drkeiscool posted:

While I'm mulling over these games plots in my head again, I'm curious: other than the recording of Mengsk wanting to rule the sector or see it burnt to ashes, what's actually inspiring the people to want to rise against him? Like, don't get me wrong, that's pretty hosed up, but assuming he'd laughed it off at that press conference as a deepfake (like, it's hundreds of years in the future, you'd think they'd have the technology to do that by then) instead of freaking out about it, what would've happened? Other than gunning down a civvie in the first mission and having some generically dystopian loudspeakers and billboards, the Dominion as shown in game doesn't seem like a bad place to live. Before the Zerg showed up, he'd managed to begin recolonizing planets ravaged in the last war, the city maps show a pretty high level of technology, and instead of just having Kate Lockwell disappeared, he seems willing to tolerate dissent in the press to some extent. We know why Raynor wants to rebel, but what would lead to the other people of the Dominion rebelling as well?

Are people revolting against him other than in the first two missions and the Media Blitz post-mission cutscene? I don't think there's that much of an open rebellion at any point in the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

gohuskies posted:

Are people revolting against him other than in the first two missions and the Media Blitz post-mission cutscene? I don't think there's that much of an open rebellion at any point in the game.

There were some bits early on with Raynor saying that everyone is ready to revolt, they just need a push, even if it doesn't happen on-screen.

There's bits and pieces. When the Zerg attack starts, the Dominion abandons the outer worlds. New Folsom is described as holding a lot of political dissidents. The people on Mar Sara were being rounded up and shipped off for forced labour. There's enough to suitably give the impression you're fighting an authoritarian regime, but very similarly to Raynor's actual rebellion it mostly gets left to be referenced in dialogue rather than being actually engaged with in missions.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Tenebrais posted:

There were some bits early on with Raynor saying that everyone is ready to revolt, they just need a push, even if it doesn't happen on-screen.

There's bits and pieces. When the Zerg attack starts, the Dominion abandons the outer worlds. New Folsom is described as holding a lot of political dissidents. The people on Mar Sara were being rounded up and shipped off for forced labour. There's enough to suitably give the impression you're fighting an authoritarian regime, but very similarly to Raynor's actual rebellion it mostly gets left to be referenced in dialogue rather than being actually engaged with in missions.

I guess that’s a fair point… it just feels weird that the game subtitled “Wings of Liberty” isn’t more focused on fighting for liberty. While everything is at least tangentially related, the actual meat of the rebellion was the prologue and one mission tree. You’d think it would’ve been more prominent.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

drkeiscool posted:

It wasn't just that "I will rule or destroy", it was the revelation of the fact that no, Tarsonis was not a coincidence, he deliberately led the Zerg there with Psi Emitters. He wasn't some savior who swooped in amidst tragedy to start up a new government after the last one was tragically wiped away by alien invaders.

He's a genocidal maniac who murdered a planet so he could grab power.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

drkeiscool posted:

While I'm mulling over these games plots in my head again, I'm curious: other than the recording of Mengsk wanting to rule the sector or see it burnt to ashes, what's actually inspiring the people to want to rise against him?

check out the first mission again. hell, if you have SCII, play it yourself! really walk around and pay attention to the setpieces. in no particular order, the first mission has the dominion doing:

murder (the extremely dead vandal, "we got a runner!")
kidnapping (an entire loving town)
slavery (that dig site they're going to is not voluntary)
war crime coverups (the body bags in the canyon)
inciting paranoia ("watch your neighbors closely", speeches about dissent impeding progress)
theft

living under the dominion is not a good time!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gas prices are craaaazy

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hwurmp posted:

gas prices are craaaazy

you said it!

7.89 for unleaded?
8.59 for diesel???

mengsk must be stopped

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kith posted:

check out the first mission again. hell, if you have SCII, play it yourself! really walk around and pay attention to the setpieces. in no particular order, the first mission has the dominion doing:

inciting paranoia ("watch your neighbors closely", speeches about dissent impeding progress)
theft

There was also a little area that had what looked like an execution-by-firing-squad range.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

yeah that too

mission 1 of WoL is extremely heavy-handed in showing just how insanely loving evil mengsk and his regime are

which makes teaming up with them in the endgame suck super bad lmao

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You could possibly make a joke about how even in fiction, Blizz doesn't have the courage to follow its nominal convictions.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kith posted:

yeah that too

mission 1 of WoL is extremely heavy-handed in showing just how insanely loving evil mengsk and his regime are

which makes teaming up with them in the endgame suck super bad lmao

yeah but we're teaming up with the good mengsk, as soon as the bad mengsk gets bumped off the throne everything will be fine and dandy

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

yeah but we're teaming up with the good mengsk, as soon as the bad mengsk gets bumped off the throne everything will be fine and dandy

The great man theory of narrative resolution.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

all it takes to undo the war crimes of brownshirts is to put a twink in charge

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'll say one thing for Raynor's speech, I do appreciate how thick is lays on the "WE COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT TRUSTING EACH OTHER, BEST FRIEND TYCHUS FINDLAY!" when its juxtaposed with that final little dialogue the pair have at camp where Tychus is talking about pardons from Mengsk and tossing out the idea that Kerrigan might not deserve to be saved to take his friend's temperature on the endgame for all this. If the words hadn't hit him somewhere soft, he probably wouldn't have bothered.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 29, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BisbyWorl posted:

I mean, notice that Raynor has never spent a single second talking about helping build something new after toppling Mengsk. His whole plan seemed to be "As soon as I kill Mengsk everyone will be free and happy and we can all go home content with a job well done!"

Which would feel like a believable character flaw for Raynor if I thought for an instant Blizzard gave it any more thought than that line.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

drkeiscool posted:

I guess that’s a fair point… it just feels weird that the game subtitled “Wings of Liberty” isn’t more focused on fighting for liberty. While everything is at least tangentially related, the actual meat of the rebellion was the prologue and one mission tree. You’d think it would’ve been more prominent.

We're fighting for the liberty of the humanity still within Kerrigan from the Zerg part of her, not for the liberty of the people of the Dominion from Mengsk.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

gohuskies posted:

We're fighting for the liberty of the humanity still within Kerrigan from the Zerg part of her, not for the liberty of the people of the Dominion from Mengsk.

Thousands of people are fighting and dying just so Raynor can get laid.

Maybe they all know this and they think it's awesome that they're campaigning for their boss man's sex life.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe they all know this and they think it's awesome that they're campaigning for their boss man's sex life.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Because I'm going to be on my honeymoon, and y'all won't be seeing me 'till Starcraft 3.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Kith posted:

theft

I guess it's a bit hard for me to pin down exactly what I wanted from the narrative. Like, I completely agree with you, but that's all only shown in one mission on seems like a backwater planet, and even Raynor seems surprised when he exclaims "They're killing civilians!" in the first mission. I wanted an actual exploration of life in the core of the Dominion and how bad things were there that people were just waiting to rise up, and were willing to revolt against Mengsk even after the Zerg invade again only 4 years after Brood War and slaughter billions of people. Even if Mengsk is a monster, he's a monster leading a unified military force.

BlazetheInferno posted:

It wasn't just that "I will rule or destroy", it was the revelation of the fact that no, Tarsonis was not a coincidence, he deliberately led the Zerg there with Psi Emitters. He wasn't some savior who swooped in amidst tragedy to start up a new government after the last one was tragically wiped away by alien invaders.

He's a genocidal maniac who murdered a planet so he could grab power.

Again, that's also true, but I guess in my personal opinion, if people had to choose between freedom or security in the face of the Zerg killing billions of people, they'd be more inclined to stick with security. Then that could've tied in with the Haven plotline where Raynor could use that whole debacle to tell people "Hey, even if you stick with Mengsk, he'll leave you out to dry when the Zerg come!" and it would've inspired people to rebel against Mengsk even more.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

BisbyWorl posted:

Because I'm going to be on my honeymoon, and y'all won't be seeing me 'till StarCraft 3.

I was gonna ask if you thought they could possibly bring Raynor back after what happens in the epilogue, but then I remembered the entire story of StarCraft 2 exists :v:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Because I'm going to be on my honeymoon, and y'all won't be seeing me 'till Starcraft 3.

:allears:

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Kith posted:

theft

There's a lot of narrative dissonance here when you put it in context of what the Terrans were originally portrayed as, and it jumped out at me during my first playthrough of the game.

I assume a number of people in this thread, I'm not sure what the number is, are not from the US. We have a particular cultural trope over here that the Terrans (see: Confederacy) were designed around, let me tell you about it.

Several features of the particular (exaggerated in the writing, to be clear) cultural trope that the Terrans of the koprulu sector parody are:
1. Absolute mistrust of government in any way, shape, or form
2. Generalized hostility to outsiders, across the 'outsider' spectrum from Literal Alien to Guy From The Wrong Side Of Town
3. Inventive repurposing of abandoned/wrecked machinery to serve their needs
4. Loads and Loads of Guns

That first mission lays it on too thick. Dominion forces are openly doing all this absurdly over the top totalitarian stuff to the point of parody, and they're doing it... to [Space] Rednecks.

You're telling me that the Dominion could pull all this stuff without Billy Bob and his crew just coming into town on an armored pickup truck shooting off an army's worth of automatic weapons and rockets while waving their cowboy hats and going YEE HAW, HERE'S YER TAXES, GUB'MENT? Come onnnnnnn.

I admit up front that this is not a problem inherent to the scenario or writing of Starcraft 2 by itself, but, given what I knew of the background of SC1 this first mission really stuck out as a bit much. Also that Mar Sara isn't an endless field of beautiful glass as if the Multiverse's Lords of Law had laid claim to this dimension, but y'know. One plot hole at a time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mengsk prevented all that by telling his subjects that Raynor's Raiders are woke

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

bladededge posted:

You're telling me that the Dominion could pull all this stuff without Billy Bob and his crew just coming into town on an armored pickup truck shooting off an army's worth of automatic weapons and rockets while waving their cowboy hats and going YEE HAW, HERE'S YER TAXES, GUB'MENT? Come onnnnnnn.

I don't disagree with the jist of your post, but didn't you just describe Raynor's Raiders here and their intervention? Don't local rednecks account for 80% of the marines he gets in that mission too?

Then the plot loses itself five minutes later, and Blizzard have been trying really hard to make people forget Terrans are space rednecks, but that first mission is Jimmy Bob and his crew coming into town on an armoured pickup battlecruiser, shooting an army's worth of Gauss rifles while waving their cowboy power armour helmets. There might even have been a single YEE HAW, as a treat.

Whenever Jimmy has to deal with Arcturus, the space redneck peeks out again. Too bad it's 5% of the plot versus 85% pining for zerg redheads and 10% pondering the orb :orb:.
(Also the two Odin missions, isn't Tychus so stereotypically redneck there he could poo poo confederacy flags?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

it is pretty funny that Jimmy, Arcturus, and Tychus are the Last Space Southerners. in the hands of better writers this could have been a reconstruction analogy or something