Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Module writers are good at coming up with a cool theme, initial plot arc, and setting. They are equally bad at being ok with staying in their lane and not adding a bunch of poo poo just to say that they can check more boxes. Not every campaign needs a dragon showing up, or needs political conflict, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zurreco posted:

Not every campaign needs a dragon showing up

Its not called Dungeons & No Dragons son.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Not every campaign needs a dungeon, either.

Scratch that - I want to play a campaign where your party gets shrunk to microbial sizes à la Magic School bus and you have to enter a dragon that is also a dungeon.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Dienes posted:

I saw someone reviewing the 4e books talking about how the dragons in D&D have gotten a mythical status that makes people think they can’t be handled as a result they end up being much more rare than they should be in a game that has them in the name.

I am of the opinion a traditional D&D campaign should feature at least one dragon at some point. It doesn’t have to be part of the main plot or even important, but there should be at least one.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yusin posted:

I saw someone reviewing the 4e books talking about how the dragons in D&D have gotten a mythical status that makes people think they can’t be handled as a result they end up being much more rare than they should be in a game that has them in the name.

I am of the opinion a traditional D&D campaign should feature at least one dragon at some point. It doesn’t have to be part of the main plot or even important, but there should be at least one.

Even my homebrew setting where dragons were all killed off thousands of years ago has had a dragon in it so far

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I've always felt there are not enough encounters, especially lower level ones, with dragons in published adventures and campaigns. One of the things I absolutely loved about 4E is that it had great low level dragons, and one even showed up in an intro adventure.

When I'm writing or tweaking a campaign, I aim for at least one dragon every 5 levels.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I DM'd an adventure for my kids over the Thanksgiving break where a Turkey-Dragon (Brass Dragon Wyrmling), that was pissed off at the nearby kingdom for eating its brethren as part of their harvest festival, was ambushing their caravans of food and having a Kenku sorcerer animate them into Mashed Potato Golems, Roll Boulders, Gravy Oozes, and Gelatinous Cranberry Cubes. They ended up finding a diplomatic solution with the Dragon, so they skipped the final boss battle, but even a Wyrmling as a CR1 creature had fire breath and sleep breath and other neat tools.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah you need at least one dragon per campaign, incidental or plot-important. Otherwise you're only playing half the game!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I played in a low-level 2e adventure where the enemy was a dragon. we managed to capture it and the lawful PCs insisted on a trial. played out the whole thing and the judge ended up sentencing it to death by hanging.

really weird group all around. the guy playing the cleric named his character William Riker.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I played in a low-level 2e adventure where the enemy was a dragon. we managed to capture it and the lawful PCs insisted on a trial. played out the whole thing and the judge ended up sentencing it to death by hanging.

really weird group all around. the guy playing the cleric named his character William Riker.

Sounds like the group really just wanted to recreate that one Larry Elmore painting from the PHB.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I hope the quest to find a rope large/strong enough became the next quest

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PeterWeller posted:

Sounds like the group really just wanted to recreate that one Larry Elmore painting from the PHB.

I'm pretending not to know what we're both referencing

change my name posted:

I hope the quest to find a rope large/strong enough became the next quest

poo poo, that would be a good hook

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah you need at least one dragon per campaign, incidental or plot-important. Otherwise you're only playing half the game!

I've made do with a dragonborn at times

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dienes posted:

well that's too good not to be the thread title

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

PeterWeller posted:

I've always felt there are not enough encounters, especially lower level ones, with dragons in published adventures and campaigns. One of the things I absolutely loved about 4E is that it had great low level dragons, and one even showed up in an intro adventure.

When I'm writing or tweaking a campaign, I aim for at least one dragon every 5 levels.

The fun thing about low level dragons is that they're basically petulant teenagers with superpowers, so you can have a super powered nerd going on and on about how running a local bank is just like having your own horde, Mom.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I had a mini campaign I threw together where some level 1 characters had to stop an adult red dragon by stealing something from it that could drive him away from the village he was threatening. Every time they traveled between the village (where a neutral hag aided them out of mutual interest) and the lair, I rolled on an encounter table where 1 possibility was the dragon.

My inspiration was that in ADnD, there was a random encounter table that included dragons that even level 1 characters were subject to. Anyway, 1 time they did roll a 1 and had the dragon flying overhead. They had 2 rounds to figure out how to flee or otherwise save their skin. They took a chance on splitting a potion of invisibility between them, which I decided to allow to work well enough to keep the dragon from detecting them.

I was prepared to wipe them out, though. I even warned them to make backup characters on this account.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 30, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zurreco posted:

Scratch that - I want to play a campaign where your party gets shrunk to microbial sizes à la Magic School bus and you have to enter a dragon that is also a dungeon.

I got you, fam: https://www.patreon.com/posts/32630422

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zurreco posted:

You won't get a feat until you hit Monk 4 or Rogue 8. That being said, you should take Monk 3 to unlock a tradition since that should be a power spike for you.

From there, I think Monk 4 for the ASI/Feat is the best option. I have opinions about what you should take at that point but it depends on what your character has learned or will have learned about the Tomb by the time you hit 9.

Still on this, I can't decide which subclass to take. None of them seem super appealing (I rarely Flurry of Blows since I'd rather spend the ki points on dodging). Shadow monk should totally give you stealth proficiency, though, I'd take it in a heartbeat if it did

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Still on this, I can't decide which subclass to take. None of them seem super appealing (I rarely Flurry of Blows since I'd rather spend the ki points on dodging). Shadow monk should totally give you stealth proficiency, though, I'd take it in a heartbeat if it did

What was the plan for the character at the outset, or was this more of an organic/storyline thing? Monk/Rogue is an uncommon multiclass.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Legit Businessman posted:

What was the plan for the character at the outset, or was this more of an organic/storyline thing? Monk/Rogue is an uncommon multiclass.

Indiana Jones roguish explorer/tomb diver type (hence the Inquisitive subclass). Open Palm would be a good fit flavor-wise but the benefits aren’t great

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Indiana Jones roguish explorer/tomb diver type (hence the Inquisitive subclass). Open Palm would be a good fit flavor-wise but the benefits aren’t great

You're in a bind - basically the character is going to just be a little less powerful than it's counterparts at the table, just given the lack of synergy between the two classes, sadly.

This is not the end of the world.

Your overall leveling focus is to get to the next ASI level and get Dex up to 20. Either way you do that, either your class gets less focused on sneak attack (with monk levels), or you have 2 levels of monk just hanging around until you can spare a level to pick up way of shadow for it's mechanical benefit, or something else for the level 3 subclass benefits.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Or, go Way of the Long Death and use your sneak attacks to help keep your HP up?

In the tomb, part of the tomb.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

pseudosavior posted:

Or, go Way of the Long Death and use your sneak attacks to help keep your HP up?

In the tomb, part of the tomb.

It will probably be this since I keep ending up in the front/middle of combat anyways. The monk benefits have helped a lot so far; 40 feet of movement speed, 20 AC without armor (since we haven't like, found any yet...), bonus action unarmed attack, dodging as a bonus action, etc etc

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Shadow or Long Death would be my suggestions as well. The former gives you access to some helpful spells and kinda vibes with the tomb. The latter helps you with sustain. If you think you could make it to Monk 6, the Shadow step ability will be a godsend in the later floors.

As for getting to Monk 4, getting Dex to 20 is a great idea but by that point you will have seen enough of the tomb to have some feats be really appealing. Alert, Observant, maybe (for the first time ever) Dungeon Delver might look really juicy as you progress.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m a new player running a paladin in our campaign. My first ever thunderous + divine smite stack was on a crit that one shot a mini boss. I’ll be chasing that high for a while.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Some news about upcoming stuff for next year is supposed to drop today, will post it as it happens.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm playing in a mini-campaign over the holidays with a slightly different group (same DM) that's supposed to be some Days of Future Past/Terminator Genisys shenanigans where I take my level four character and scale him up to level twenty. I don't really know what to do with super high level play.

I've been a straight Divine Soul Sorcerer, but considering a Sorc 18/Paladin 2 split so as to get some proficiencies and smites. I'd still basically be a full caster under this set up but I'm not sure the actual smites will be worth it: yes I can hit hard but can I even hit (14/14 str/dex) often enough as opposed to just casting a spell again? The other option would be more Paladin, up to getting the extra attack, but I'm not sure that's worth giving up the high level spells.

I'm expecting to die in the course of this bad future stuff so I'm trying to be a bit tankier, grabbing tough and warcaster and maybe resilient for wisdom. Should I just do like Paladin 1 for the armor and shield and not worry about smites?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Still a couple hours, but looking like we will be seeing both the VTT and Vecna.

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1730620748568395787

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m a new player running a paladin in our campaign. My first ever thunderous + divine smite stack was on a crit that one shot a mini boss. I’ll be chasing that high for a while.

I love this. In our first session of my campaign the great weapon fighter got a crit on the boss that was meant to be our recurring nemesis and just utterly annihilated him the turn before the DM was going to have him misty step out of there. The player was so pumped.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

First new thing announced

A short adventure remake of the classic.

Adventure that goes to 20th level.

Adventure Anthology of older adventures.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 1, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i for real thought it was another lost mines of phandelver remake but no it's an ad&d adventure by gary gygax that i'm sure people are gonna be normal about

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Old art and correspondence.

New PHB Fighter art each class will get a splash page.

All subclasses getting art.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 1, 2023

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Backgrounds with backgrounds

Edit: DMG is supposed to be much better. Full Campaign setting and a few short adventures will be in it. "makes you think, wow I actually want to use this book"

All monsters in the MM will be getting a tune up, over 500 monsters in the book.

Many Magic items and spells are also getting changed.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 1, 2023

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Release dates for some stuff

Edit Release date tweets went down, guess there was a change. May is the preliminary month for the new PHB release.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 2, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Are Stat bonuses from backgrounds replacing racial stat bonuses? Or is there some system to place them whatever I want?

New background look otherwise excellent, except the stat bonuses.
Maximizing Class combat stat is so ingrained to DnD that I don't feel comfortable taking -1 to hit to play Acolyte Rogue.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Racial stat bonuses have been going away for awhile, none of the races they've introduced since Tasha's have had them, so for like pretty much half the life of 5e. Now the only thing you take from your character's race are features that explicitly have to do with their biology, like darkvision or Elven trances or whatever, and background constitutes all your character's training and culture, so their stat bonuses, languages, skill proficiencies, starting equipment etc. You don't have to pick a background from the book though they're just templates for essentially the same rules as Tasha's custom origins and you can put the ability bonuses and stuff wherever you want.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Issaries posted:

Are Stat bonuses from backgrounds replacing racial stat bonuses? Or is there some system to place them whatever I want?

New background look otherwise excellent, except the stat bonuses.
Maximizing Class combat stat is so ingrained to DnD that I don't feel comfortable taking -1 to hit to play Acolyte Rogue.

So effectively these backgrounds are examples, at the start of the section it will tell you how to build backgrounds, and then presents a bunch of quick examples that can be used. So you can make an Acolyte Rogue with a bonus to Dex, you can even swap out the feat, tool, and anything else.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yusin posted:

So effectively these backgrounds are examples, at the start of the section it will tell you how to build backgrounds, and then presents a bunch of quick examples that can be used. So you can make an Acolyte Rogue with a bonus to Dex, you can even swap out the feat, tool, and anything else.

Cool. That sounds much better.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really hope they do the pictures in the races chapter more interesting. They won't, but I'm so tired of the same old; flip to the dwarf page and oh look there is a single dwarf there, who is of course white male, covered with mail with a beard and holding an axe. Actually show what they look like as a PEOPLE for a change! Don't waste a freaking full or half page of the book on a single individual. Show many different dwarves! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
That champion looks a lot like the character I played in our last one-shot. :allears: