Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Who is the youngest player to ever win comeback player of the year?

Posey was 25. The first time he won it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Who is the youngest player to ever win comeback player of the year?

chris young

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Popete posted:

chris young

lmao

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Posey was 25. The first time he won it.

Him returning to catch 110+ games that year alone should have won him that award.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I wonder if a COTY has ever had a lower WAR than Hendriks's -0.1.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

chris young

Nice :dadjoke:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1729886783184486428

Dominguez and Schmidt. Do it.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

Dominguez and Schmidt. Do it.

Bregor posted:

Just had a vision of Juan Soto launching dingers over the RF wall at Yankee Stadium and the fans booing and holding signs that said “WE WANT JASSON DOMINGUEZ BACK”

:doit:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1729898151220318428

Sorry losers, the Ohtani sweepstakes are over.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

I'd give up any pitcher they have but I'd rather not give up Dominguez if it's doable without him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

I'd give up any pitcher they have but I'd rather not give up Dominguez if it's doable without him

I would rather give up Dominguez than King tbh

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Dominguez and King and Cashman has a deal.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I would rather give up Dominguez than King tbh

I'm not sure I believe in King as a starter, and his injury history is kind of alarming. He's expendable if they sign Yamamoto anyway

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

I'm not sure I believe in King as a starter, and his injury history is kind of alarming. He's expendable if they sign Yamamoto anyway

There is no such thing as an expendable good starter lol. I think he has number 2 starter stuff. I feel like Schmidt kinda is what he is so I'm find to trade him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
According to FanGraphs, Dominguez would be the Padres' fourth best prospect and he's out all year. That doesn't make him seem too enticing as the main piece of a trade.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

There is no such thing as an expendable good starter lol. I think he has number 2 starter stuff. I feel like Schmidt kinda is what he is so I'm find to trade him.

King has basically a month of starting experience at the MLB level, he isn't a slam dunk for anything. He is also just like a year removed from breaking his elbow in half

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

According to FanGraphs, Dominguez would be the Padres' fourth best prospect and he's out all year. That doesn't make him seem too enticing as the main piece of a trade.

He's MLB ready at age 20 and raked in a (very) small MLB sample before getting hurt. He's not a "prospect" regardless of what MLB Pipeline says: when he's healthy he will be on the active roster.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

King has basically a month of starting experience at the MLB level, he isn't a slam dunk for anything. He is also just like a year removed from breaking his elbow in half

Yeah i know but he's been elite out of the bullpen and he was great as a starter last year. All pitchers hurt their elbows. He's not a sure thing but I think he has a lot of upside that I would rather not trade.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

He's MLB ready at age 20 and raked in a (very) small MLB sample before getting hurt. He's not a "prospect" regardless of what MLB Pipeline says: when he's healthy he will be on the active roster.

OK, he'd be the Padres' fourth best "unestablished young player." Either way, he's not as big of a deal for the Padres as he is for the Yankees.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

OK, he'd be the Padres' fourth best "unestablished young player." Either way, he's not as big of a deal for the Padres as he is for the Yankees.

The three guys who would be ahead of him are all currently in AA and two of them aren't expected to hit the bigs until 2026. Dominguez has already hit the bigs and will be back around July of next year. Again the Padres top prospects and Dominguez are not comparable and this a really dumb context for you to frame the trade in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Reds signed Emilio Pagan to a two year deal

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Yeah i know but he's been elite out of the bullpen and he was great as a starter last year. All pitchers hurt their elbows. He's not a sure thing but I think he has a lot of upside that I would rather not trade.

No, he actually broke (fractured) his elbow, not just needed TJS. We have no idea what the long term implications are for that as far as holding up to a starting pitchers workload

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

The three guys who would be ahead of him are all currently in AA and two of them aren't expected to hit the bigs until 2026. Dominguez has already hit the bigs and will be back around July of next year. Again the Padres top prospects and Dominguez are not comparable and this a really dumb context for you to frame the trade in.

2026 is very conservative. Maybe Lesko takes that long but Merrill's already in AA and Salas is on the Tatis track. And the Padres could call up Merrill and give him 35 PA and then he and Dominguez are even. Thirty-five PA is a cup of coffee.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Reds signed Emilio Pagan to a two year deal

That guy is going to get demolished in that stadium.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

2026 is very conservative. Maybe Lesko takes that long but Merrill's already in AA and Salas is on the Tatis track. And the Padres could call up Merrill and give him 35 PA and then he and Dominguez are even. Thirty-five PA is a cup of coffee.

A cup of coffee in which he excelled. idk personally I think six cheap seasons of a guy with top prospect pedigree who'll be just 21 the next time he stands on the field again and has already shown in a small sample he can handle MLB pitching is a pretty good headliner for a rental of a guy the Padres have already all but signaled they have to trade for financial reasons. I'm not advocating for a 1:1 swap or anything, but Dominguez is pretty good as the centerpiece if a Yankees trade is really on the table.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You also don't know what the market looks like for a 1 year rental of Soto who you have to then give 400 million to is.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

A cup of coffee in which he excelled. idk personally I think six cheap seasons of a guy with top prospect pedigree who'll be just 21 the next time he stands on the field again and has already shown in a small sample he can handle MLB pitching is a pretty good headliner for a rental of a guy the Padres have already all but signaled they have to trade for financial reasons. I'm not advocating for a 1:1 swap or anything, but Dominguez is pretty good as the centerpiece if a Yankees trade is really on the table.

Plenty of guys have had a great first 30 at-bats. Which isn't to say that Dominguez sucks but it's classic Yankees to act like their prospects are the greatest in the world when, according to neutral prospect writers, he'd be the fourth best "unestablished young player" in the Padres organization. And he's going to miss at least half the season and then have to DH in a season when the Padres presumably are still trying to win.

Part of it too is that the Padres don't have to trade Soto. They'd probably have to trade Merrill and Lesko for pitching but they could still make it work with Soto.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

Yeah players were allowed to pick their hats until the Hall got wind that the Rays were trying to pay Boggs to go in with a Rays cap instead of a Red Sox one.

Why does the Hall hate free agency?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Org prospect rankings are always a dumb metric anyway. Two of those guys are in the top ten in the entire MLB according to the mlb.com rankings. Meanwhile Dominguez is the #2 guy in the Yankees system by a single spot (he's 74 overall and the Yankees #1 guy is 73). If he was in Oakland he'd be #1. Being MLB ready is a pretty big deal too. A lot of the prospects ahead of him that are currently in AA or lower are going to drop way down in the rankings before they make it to the bigs (if they ever do). Austin Martin (one of the big gets for the Twins in the Berrios trade) was 22 overall in 2021, 52 in 2022, and unranked in 2023.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

You also don't know what the market looks like for a 1 year rental of Soto who you have to then give 400 million to is.

I'm still ardently convinced that nobody is going to be able to actually extend Soto and whoever gets him will be getting a pure rental unless they then go on to win the FA bidding war. Soto and Boras know a 25 year old clear HoF talent can get more out of FA than settling for an extension, even a historically large one.

live with fruit posted:

Part of it too is that the Padres don't have to trade Soto.

Pretty much all of the reporting out there is that they kinda do have to trade Soto. Or to put it better, ownership has taken the position that Soto needs to be traded, regardless of whether they could actually afford to pay him or not (they almost certainly could).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Pretty much all of the reporting out there is that they kinda do have to trade Soto. Or to put it better, ownership has taken the position that Soto needs to be traded, regardless of whether they could actually afford to pay him or not (they almost certainly could).

No one has said that ownership, which has only been in charge for two weeks, has mandated that Soto be traded.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sydin posted:

I'm still ardently convinced that nobody is going to be able to actually extend Soto and whoever gets him will be getting a pure rental unless they then go on to win the FA bidding war. Soto and Boras know a 25 year old clear HoF talent can get more out of FA than settling for an extension, even a historically large one.

IMO it's fine for the Yankees to get him and see how the year plays out before doing an extension.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

No one has said that ownership, which has only been in charge for two weeks, has mandated that Soto be traded.

https://theathletic.com/5095044/2023/11/28/mlb-trade-rumors-juan-soto-padres-blue-jays/

quote:

Unlike Bregman and Bichette, Juan Soto is almost certain to be traded, both to ease the Padres’ payroll burden and get them the pitching they desperately need.

MLB Trade Rumors projects Soto’s salary in his final year of arbitration to be $33 million. The Padres intend to open the season with a payroll of approximately $200 million, and Fangraphs projects their current number with Soto to be $189 million. Their projected luxury-tax payroll of $242 million, meanwhile, is $5 million above the threshold.

So let’s get this straight: The Padres are going to exceed the threshold a fourth straight year? Just after, as The Athletic reported earlier this month, they took out a $50 million loan in September to address short-term cash flow issues and meet their obligations, including player payroll? And at a time when their pitching staff has been decimated by free-agent defections?

Six pitchers who combined for nearly 700 innings with the Padres last season — Blake Snell, Seth Lugo, Michael Wacha, Nick Martinez, Luis Garcia and Josh Hader — are on the open market. A Soto trade not only could replace some of those innings, but also create the financial flexibility to add even more pitching.

The question is not whether Soto will be traded. The question is which team will acquire him.

He gone, sorry. :shrug:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

That's very clearly Rosenthal hypothesizing and not saying that ownership is making Preller trade Soto.

He also points out that they need pitching, which Dominguez doesn't provide.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/longleysunsport/status/1729930560552779950

Rogers gonna Rogers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

I don't see any way they get Soto and keep Jasson unless they were willing to move somebody like Volpe, which would then just open up another positional hole for the Yankees.

Nodoze posted:

I'm kind of working myself up about a 6-man rotation if they get Yamamoto, although that would also require buy-in from Cole and the rest of the guys. I reckon there's gotta be some value in not asking NPB guys to change their routine immediately after being posted.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't see any way they get Soto and keep Jasson unless they were willing to move somebody like Volpe, which would then just open up another positional hole for the Yankees.

I'm kind of working myself up about a 6-man rotation if they get Yamamoto, although that would also require buy-in from Cole and the rest of the guys. I reckon there's gotta be some value in not asking NPB guys to change their routine immediately after being posted.

All rumors so far indicate that the Padres want pitching, which makes sense since they are losing a ton of innings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Soto on the Yankees will fill the Bernie hole that’s been open for years

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1729971354307645907

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If the White Sox trade Cease to the Braves and Vaughn Grissom isn't in the deal I will laugh