Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I love reading stories about characters who are too socially awkward and unaware to leave a restaurant that they can’t eat at or a show they don’t like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is not a story but a crowdfunding backer reward delivery device

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

ScienceSeagull posted:

Given that mongrel folk (ugh I hate that name) are all mix-and-match chimeras of different species, you'd think most restaurants would have both vegan and meat-based meals (and more unusual fare like, IDK, metals and gemstones for mineral-based creatures), or if they'd didn't, they'd advertise it by being called "Carnivore Cafe" or the like.

The impression I got is that most mongrels are at least omnivorous because the Wild Edge is a terrible and dangerous place where everything is mutually preying on everything else, and that Snout was an herbivorous soft boy because he was The Good One™.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I think what really bothers me is if Makena's single defining character trait is, 'too much a softboi to say he doesn't like something' then we should have gotten a longer salespitch from Augustus.

Like, he clearly DOES ditch when he doesn't like/enjoy things. He even tells Augustus he's revolting!

Mookie wouldn't be the first person I've seen write a sequence that invalidates a character's defining trait before the trait is actually introduced.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

maybe the next comic the protagonist will say he's a vegetarian because he opposes needless animal suffering. though that would be him initiating a conflict so it's a vanishingly small chance

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Rotten Red Rod posted:

A naive protagonist can be charming. This guy is just a dumb annoying wuss.

Wuss. that was the word I was looking for for this guy

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mookie is genuinely the world’s worst vegetarian, and I’m including Eric Adams in this calculus.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You could probably write a good comedy of errors based around a character who is too polite and anxious to say no to anyone, but that's not what this is. This is just the main character being a big whiny baby.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Can't wait for the protagonist of the dwarf arc to be another loving vegan too

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Orcs being herbivores who hunt plant monsters is a cool idea. Transmuting beef into turnips for vegetarians otoh is extremely dumb on every level.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

FlocksOfMice posted:

No see if I turn this dead animal meat into plants, it retroactively undoes the ... death of the animal??

Is being a vegetarian like, does Mookie actually think it's a biological impetus? Like if he's willing to eat a dead animal that's been prepared in such a way that it suddenly has cell walls and chloroplasts and that's IT, then like, he's not doing this for any ideological purposes. This is digestive vegetarianism. Why is it always like this? Why are your Mookies always vegetarians but it's always because of herbivory ?? Mookie do you think you'll die if you eat a pig but you're fine with pigs being killed. Would you eat a pig if we processed it into a slurry and then processed it further so it had the texture of turnips. Mookie what the gently caress are you doing. This is your career. If you were just like a hobby artist I wouldn't give a poo poo but my dude this is your 20+ year career that you are proud of and brag about. This is your job.

The range of vegetarianisms is, in fact, genuinely interesting.

For instance - Hindus, though I suspect a lot of them will not be able to articulate this, traditionally do not eat animal flesh for what are essentially health and spiritual reasons. The belief is that ingesting meat agitates your mind, making you more decisive and passionate, but less contemplative and mindful. For this reason, diets are actually casted - the hard ban on meat applies to brahmin, the scholar-priests, for whom it's part of a pious and academic lifestyle, but not so much to the kshatriya, leaders and soldiers, who are in turn meant to listen to their chill, plant-and-milk-sustained advisors.

(Also, the strictest strictures forbid aromatics and excessive intake of acids, and even if I was still a full vegetarian, I'd be hard pressed to give up tomatoes and onions.)

And then there's also the part where, having been vegetarian for their entire lives, some Indians believe that they would get sick from eating meat because it's something their system isn't prepared for. And not to say there isn't an ethical component - the sanctity of all life and so on - but in practice it's not anti- the idea of meat itself, so much as concerned with the decisions you make on the world.

So in this situation I might say that, well, the animal is already dead, but if the formula works, I can avoid eating something I'm unwilling to without wasting the work of the chef, waitstaff, supply chain, etc. Hell, that might be an interesting worldbuilding reaction for Makena to express. He certainly doesn't come off as thinking of the all-meat menu as an injustice so much as a personal inconvenience.

I don't expect Mookie to get into any of that, though. I don't even expect that he's thought about it at all. I actually have no idea why he's vegetarian. I think he thinks it's cool.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Caphi posted:

I don't expect Mookie to get into any of that, though. I don't even expect that he's thought about it at all. I actually have no idea why he's vegetarian. I think he thinks it's cool.

Oh I can answer that part at least. Mookie is a vegetarian, and it's therefore a signifier of good guy. Main character is good guy. Main character must contain only good guy semiotics. Good guy semiotics are nerd and vegetarian. Most own book, must eat only plant. Good guy.
a
Bad guy eat meat play sport. Book gross veggie gross. Bad guy not Mookie so only opposite signs.

I'm lawful good because I said so so I can do no wrong, also I vegetarian so every good guy vegetarian

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway we already know it has nothing to do with taking a creature's life because Snout likes orc plantmeat.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Caphi posted:

Anyway we already know it has nothing to do with taking a creature's life because Snout likes orc plantmeat.

I mean, maybe, but on the other hand "eating plants = vegetarian = good" with no thoughts to the implications of sentient plantlife on that equation seems perfectly in line with "likes books = good person = anything they do is moral".

Any of the various lenses you can view vegetarianism through, like the ones you mentioned, would be potentially interesting ways to explore a little bit more of the protagonist's character. I guarantee that's not going to happen.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

FlocksOfMice posted:

Oh I can answer that part at least. Mookie is a vegetarian, and it's therefore a signifier of good guy. Main character is good guy. Main character must contain only good guy semiotics. Good guy semiotics are nerd and vegetarian. Most own book, must eat only plant. Good guy.
a
Bad guy eat meat play sport. Book gross veggie gross. Bad guy not Mookie so only opposite signs.

I'm lawful good because I said so so I can do no wrong, also I vegetarian so every good guy vegetarian

Legacy's good guys were a mongrelman, an orc, a Callanian, and a pod person, all four of them vegetarians.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Caphi posted:

And then there's also the part where, having been vegetarian for their entire lives, some Indians believe that they would get sick from eating meat because it's something their system isn't prepared for.
To my understanding, this is in fact correct. If a human has been on a no-meat diet long enough, they'll have trouble digesting it and this will cause some issues. Nowhere near the "instant vomiting" stuff the orcs in the setting have, but some unpleasantness.

... Which makes the guy not being willing to go "oh, sorry, I'm a vegetarian I didn't realize all you served were meat dishes" and leaving even worse.

Emrikol posted:

Legacy's good guys were a mongrelman, an orc, a Callanian, and a pod person, all four of them vegetarians.
Did we ever learn about Ink Witch and Vineclone's dietary preferences? They ate vegetarian meals and/or snacks, but that doesn't mean they were exclusively. It's not like you'd be served anything else in an orc's house.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zereth posted:

To my understanding, this is in fact correct. If a human has been on a no-meat diet long enough, they'll have trouble digesting it and this will cause some issues. Nowhere near the "instant vomiting" stuff the orcs in the setting have, but some unpleasantness.

... Which makes the guy not being willing to go "oh, sorry, I'm a vegetarian I didn't realize all you served were meat dishes" and leaving even worse.

Did we ever learn about Ink Witch and Vineclone's dietary preferences? They ate vegetarian meals and/or snacks, but that doesn't mean they were exclusively. It's not like you'd be served anything else in an orc's house.

They were vegan because Mookie is vegan, and anything he is his characters are too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't recall their diet preferences actually being stated, which given the way Mookie writes means they could change wildly at any time. :colbert:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I was thinking "well maybe Mookie's going to have Makena stand up for himself in the next strip and say that transmuting meat is still against his beliefs", but the Required Reading says the alchemist's help is a "lifeline", so that's probably not going to happen.

https://x.com/mookiebean/status/1729912839198892280?s=20

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
If I'm going to eat something experimental at a restaurant. I'd want it at least to be a) clearly food, and b) made by someone employed by the restaurant to prepare food, not another patron that I met seconds ago.

Well, unless I'm a side character in an isekai novel and the protagonist has shown up with mayonnaise or soy sauce. Obviously, then you eat it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Mookie has totally been in a situation where he was in a restaurant, noticed there wasn't anything he liked on the menu and didn't leave because it was too awkward. In the next couple comics we will learn what he hoped the universe would provide in that situation.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Caphi posted:

I actually have no idea why he's vegetarian. I think he thinks it's cool.

It's because he wants to have sex with women who think it's cool.

Like I know this thread doesn't like getting weird about this stuff, but 'man who is vegetarian/vegan for seemingly no articulable reason' is a really common trope and the Venn diagram of that with 'men trying to trick progressive, sex positive, queer women into having sex with them' is a circle.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I really question how this simp got up the courage to leave his house at all, let alone travel a huge distance on foot.

Also lol that he actually put the standing bat guy in the thumbnail, it looks so bad

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I really question how this simp got up the courage to leave his house at all, let alone travel a huge distance on foot.

He was supposed to just go to the supermarket, but he couldn't decide what to buy, so he ran out of the supermarket crying. Since he didn't dare face his dads after that, he followed the first sign he saw, which happened to point towards Mongreltown. They're still waiting for him to come home with dinner, but have accepted by this point that he's gotten distracted once again.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

""Makena is faced with an impossible choice (in regards to restaurant etiquette)! Will he be stuck or will someone throw him a lifeline? "

Breetai posted:

pusillanimous

Also hrs just doing the bit where Snout becomes inexplicably mortified because he didn't wait to be seated writ large.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

HazCat posted:

It's because he wants to have sex with women who think it's cool.

Like I know this thread doesn't like getting weird about this stuff, but 'man who is vegetarian/vegan for seemingly no articulable reason' is a really common trope and the Venn diagram of that with 'men trying to trick progressive, sex positive, queer women into having sex with them' is a circle.

I was curious if he'd mentioned anything about his history as a vegan in his blogs, and he says he became a vegan in 1996 strictly because he opposes inhumane factory farm practices. He has no problem "humane" meat & dairy, or with someone hunting & killing individual animals for food (because "that's how nature works"), and will eat gelatin-based marshmallows if he's nostalgic enough for the cereal they're part of.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zereth posted:

They're girls so obviously they're vegan too.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

maltesh posted:

If I'm going to eat something experimental at a restaurant. I'd want it at least to be a) clearly food, and b) made by someone employed by the restaurant to prepare food, not another patron that I met seconds ago.

Well, unless I'm a side character in an isekai novel and the protagonist has shown up with mayonnaise or soy sauce. Obviously, then you eat it.

The reddit relationships thread in GBS gets a lot of posts about people bringing their own condiments to restaurants, ranging from little bottles of hot sauce to a jar of pickled onions. Redditors and goons alike have argued for pages about whether that's acceptable, but I think most would agree that shilling your secret sauce to another restaurant patron is way out of line. Even if you are an alchemist who can turn meat into bizarro Impossible Burgers!

Also in a story with actual plot and conflict, a rando going "here try this experimental magic potion" would result in the protagonist being drugged or transformed or otherwise in some sort of danger. But here it's just the universe conspiring to make sure this dude doesn't have to leave his comfort zone or, god forbid, be a bit embarassed.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

GreenMetalSun posted:

I think what really bothers me is if Makena's single defining character trait is, 'too much a softboi to say he doesn't like something' then we should have gotten a longer salespitch from Augustus.

Like, he clearly DOES ditch when he doesn't like/enjoy things. He even tells Augustus he's revolting!

See, this makes Mookiena come across more as someone who would ditch someone if he doesn't like them if it's just the two of them, but put him in a crowd and Mookie suddenly goes passive and worried about what all these random strangers would think if he raises a fuss and doesn't go along with the flow like a cool person.

Which, in theory, would be a flaw you can grow out of, but I doubt Mookie realizes what he wrote here, just as he doesn't realize the implications of using alchemy so he can once again jump through hoops to have vegetarians consume something that used to be a living wildlife.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Robot Style posted:

I was curious if he'd mentioned anything about his history as a vegan in his blogs, and he says he became a vegan in 1996 strictly because he opposes inhumane factory farm practices. He has no problem "humane" meat & dairy, or with someone hunting & killing individual animals for food (because "that's how nature works"), and will eat gelatin-based marshmallows if he's nostalgic enough for the cereal they're part of.

I think that's a fair enough stance. None of it applies to the softboy & alchemist though, so I am actually curious to see how that plays out.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

My guess is within 2 strips at most, the backer character is going to pour a flask of goo over a tray of sausages and cartoon t-bones and turn it into broccoli. After that it's 50/50 whether snout 2.0 gets to tuck in and then wander off to spend the night at the first hotel he sees, or gets chased out of the meat palace by all the jocks, a sausage link hurled after him for "comic" effect.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
THRILL at a coward refusing to leave a restaurant because that would be rude

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

You know what's really going to kick off this new All-Ages era of Legacy and bring in a fresh audience of young readers? A comedy of manners!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Okay so a few comics back but in my heart of hearts what I wanted from curtain rise at the first jazz club was for it to be Snout up there angrily gesticulating at his deaf patch, judging these assholes for enjoying music when there's deaf people.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

rudecyrus posted:

THRILL at a coward refusing to leave a restaurant because that would be rude

It's an IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE, Jerry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just want to come back to the fact that this all-meat restaurant has the "Meat Special" with "Extra Meat" because Mookie has the imagination of a fish. Not even something like the Mongreltown Meat Feast with Extra Entrails" or something to make it sound more gross.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ScienceSeagull posted:

The reddit relationships thread in GBS gets a lot of posts about people bringing their own condiments to restaurants, ranging from little bottles of hot sauce to a jar of pickled onions. Redditors and goons alike have argued for pages about whether that's acceptable, but I think most would agree that shilling your secret sauce to another restaurant patron is way out of line. Even if you are an alchemist who can turn meat into bizarro Impossible Burgers!

Also in a story with actual plot and conflict, a rando going "here try this experimental magic potion" would result in the protagonist being drugged or transformed or otherwise in some sort of danger. But here it's just the universe conspiring to make sure this dude doesn't have to leave his comfort zone or, god forbid, be a bit embarassed.

"Where's the real vegetable flavor?"

And then the standing guy jumps on the table and makes a trumpet sound.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Robot Style posted:

You know what's really going to kick off this new All-Ages era of Legacy and bring in a fresh audience of young readers? A comedy of manners!

Kids, especially if this is supposed to be aimed at young teens, can handle deep storylines, violence, and dark themes just fine as long as those things are presented with at least a little nuance, talent, and grace.

Look at A:TLA and Korra, Amphibia, Gravity Falls, Owl House, Into the Spiderverse, etc. Hell, World of Warcraft is rated 'Teen'.

He could have gone for something a little harder than 'what if Black Mookie doesn't like a restaurant'?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ScienceSeagull posted:

Given that mongrel folk (ugh I hate that name) are all mix-and-match chimeras of different species, you'd think most restaurants would have both vegan and meat-based meals (and more unusual fare like, IDK, metals and gemstones for mineral-based creatures), or if they'd didn't, they'd advertise it by being called "Carnivore Cafe" or the like.
You would also think the first diner in the city would have an orc menu given Maltak is right next door.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tesseraction posted:

Just want to come back to the fact that this all-meat restaurant has the "Meat Special" with "Extra Meat" because Mookie has the imagination of a fish. Not even something like the Mongreltown Meat Feast with Extra Entrails" or something to make it sound more gross.

Hey now, fish can have pretty detailed imaginations. Like the little ocean fish that make elaborate and functional nesting sites by shoving sand around, in the hope of attracting girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Ugh, this character is such a passive softboi that he can't even speak up to the waitstaff and say "Do you have any vegetarian dishes? I can't eat meat"

Instead a nearby stranger has to step in and say "I noticed you were looking sad so I quickly intuited what is wrong, I will order for you and help you"

what a loving no-effort protagonist