Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
da gently caress, why does a feature change/update need actual paragraphs and mixed media stuff?

i want release notes to just give me bullet points of things done, and why it was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Just switch to Firefox. Just switch to Firefox! It's not lovely! Yet!

Yea, I just kind of expect to have to switch browsers every few years or so because the current one I use became bad and a different one I previously switched from got better again.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
The real issue with the latest chrome is changing the security icon for cookies in the address bar to a nondescript ui element.

Great, another collection of random lines and dots to work out what’s underneath, alongside the other collections of lines and dots.

Needless.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I've been using Firefox for like 20 years now and I haven't had a complaint the whole time. About 5 or 6 years ago a lot of my friends in tech all switched from Chrome to Firefox and it was hard not to feel weirdly smug about it. Chrome seems to just get shittier and more invasive but Firefox just does what I need and doesn't hassle me otherwise so hooray

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cabal Ties posted:

The real issue with the latest chrome is changing the security icon for cookies in the address bar to a nondescript ui element.

Great, another collection of random lines and dots to work out what’s underneath, alongside the other collections of lines and dots.

Needless.

modern communication.

ultra minimal lines and dots on one end, and the other end is an emoji salad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
strong support for core download journeys

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I switched to Firefox after Manifest V3 got announced and have been extremely happy with it since.

It has some stupid poo poo that I'm sure is trying to plug a monetization hole, but you can turn off all it's dumb poo poo if you want to dig into it's settings. I have relatively minor complaints about it's UX in places, but it's otherwise a Browser Whomst Is Good, and unlike literally every other browser on the planet, it'll actually be able to block ads in a year.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My firefox doesn't have a "home" button for some reason.

I know it's probably super easy to fix, but I don't immediately know where to look, so I just keep opening new browser windows whenever I need to get to the homepage :shrug:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

credburn posted:

My firefox doesn't have a "home" button for some reason.

I know it's probably super easy to fix, but I don't immediately know where to look, so I just keep opening new browser windows whenever I need to get to the homepage :shrug:

right click on bar > customize toolbar > drag and drop preferred elements

I've been using Firefox since the name change from Phoenix, and the worst it's done to me is crashing and forgetting the 3000 tabs that I keep open at all times for no reason. Hasn't done it in years, though.

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

They changed all the street lamps to LEDs in my city about a year and a half ago and they’re almost all failing so everything is this dim blue you can barely see in

It sucks

The annoying thing about LED streetlights is they always seem to use that 6000k daylight color temperature that’s terrible for sleep, etc. They definitely DO make LED chips with the classic old HPS color spectrum (2700k) that is normal for streetlights. Just a stupid idea.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

HPS is 2200k, slightly lower for the new mercury free ones. The old ones contained about 10mg of mercury each, not a whole lot but still a reason to (at least over here) start phasing them out.

But the rest of what you say is correct. My city has put in some HPS color LED street lights that are very pleasant. From a distance you can't distinguish them from HPS, but if you're right under them, you get some improved color rendering.
The provincial road, however, has those shite 4000k LEDs with tons of blue light content. The road is right at the edge of a nature preserve. Stupid fucks.

Meanwhile the highway is lit so brightly that you can comfortably read a magazine on the hard shoulder.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

I saw an SUV commercial where the vehicle comes with a bulletproof vest and an army helmet. For picking up the kids from soccer practice.

In the US this is just a sensible safety precaution

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Throw everyone involved into an active volcano tia

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Just switch to Firefox. Just switch to Firefox! It's not lovely! Yet!

Work laptop, gotta use chrome

See I wouldn’t have my name attached to such loving drivel.

quote:

Occupied precious pixels at the bottom of the screen which squeezed the web content area, and was limited by screen width in how many files it could show at once
maybe??? I want the list of downloads??? There???

quote:

Didn't go away automatically, and only offered actions such as pause/resume and open in folder from a fixed overflow menu

I don’t want it to go away automatically, if anything just make that an option (or I don’t know, make the two UI options FOR the downloads an option! What a concept!)

quote:

Was no longer modern, interactive, and consistent with the look and feel of other browser UI or the browser ecosystem at large

https://youtu.be/C8GUcJEDNOM

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

I saw an SUV commercial where the vehicle comes with a bulletproof vest and an army helmet. For picking up the kids from soccer practice.

pffff lol at old legacy car makers.

can the car survive a tommy gun or a bow and arrow like a Tesla?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
The best thing about switching to Firefox is having the feeling that Google knows your doing it

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Cabal Ties posted:

The best thing about switching to Firefox is having the feeling that Google knows your doing it

When you use Bing to Google Firefox, as the first thing one does with a new PC, Bing will throw up a bunch of "but wait you haven't even seen all of it cool features yet!" messages. They were good messages, they actually made me feel a tinge of sympathy for Bing and how everyone craps on their dev team lol.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Microsoft being needy was fine once and a few times, but know I just get a usb with stuff and use the installers from that.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Signed up for Spotify after more than a year away and lol goddamn they keep making the UI worse. Also, :laffo: at the paltry audiobook time limits.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only use Edge with Netflix since the experience is (or was?) degraded in Firefox, but every time there's an update of some kind, those needy messages get tacked onto some new button or feature I didn't ask for and don't ever want. And of course you can't permanently banish them, they always go "ok we'll ask you again later!"

Microsoft just can't help it, they just have an annoying corporate personality.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah the nag messages from Bing are hilarious. They're so thirsty and that definitely puts me off using it as anything other than a last resort, much like IE.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Moved over to Brave for ~~compatibility~~ reasons and recently switched back to Firefox. Brave was fine but Firefox is just as good and solved the compatibility issue I had. I think at this point Firefox/Phoenix have held the majority of the time I've spent browsing the web.

Saganlives posted:

Signed up for Spotify after more than a year away and lol goddamn they keep making the UI worse. Also, :laffo: at the paltry audiobook time limits.

I tried signing back up a couple months ago and between the poo poo-rear end interface and the fact I couldn't find a way to turn of the audio preview on podcasts I canceled again. Who the gently caress needs an auto preview on every podcast episode you look at?

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Off brand sodas usually suck rear end, especially when it comes to diet flavors. However I've found Walmart's brands serviceable, as long as it's ice cold.

But...

The last few times I had their Dr Pepper rip off, Dr Thunder, it has tasted like literal cheap perfume. I thought maybe it was a one-time, local issue. Maybe the nearest factory had a bad batch of the amaretto flavoring or whatever. But it's been months apart since purchasing it (I don't drink that much soda) and it's still the same horrible chemical after taste. Seems to be an issue with their non-diet as well. I'm convinced that they completely changed the formula as a cost cutting measure.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

What? No, Firefox, no you can't.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

BigHead posted:

When you use Bing to Google Firefox, as the first thing one does with a new PC, Bing will throw up a bunch of "but wait you haven't even seen all of it cool features yet!" messages. They were good messages, they actually made me feel a tinge of sympathy for Bing and how everyone craps on their dev team lol.

I'd respect them more if the last message was a dialogue box:

gently caress YOU!

(OK)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hate how pop ups are back

Every webpage is a Olympic hurdling event

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

lol go check out some car dealership websites and prepare to be horrified.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

credburn posted:

What? No, Firefox, no you can't.

lol why would you ever not want a browser open

why even have a computer at all

euphronius posted:

Reading a webpage on my phone behind all the ads like a tweaker peaking through a slit in the miniblinds, an autoplaying video shrieking at me

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have basically made it a policy not to interact with pages with a pop-up asking me to subscribe to their garbage or whatever.

I'm sure they don't care, because clearly no one else wants to put in the effort, but whatever I guess.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

euphronius posted:

I think it's funny when I'm on a webpage trying to buy the product they are selling on the webpage and I have to close or click out of at least 3 modals in order to do it. Their web design actively impedes sales

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

I think it's funny when I'm on a webpage trying to buy the product they are selling on the webpage and I have to close or click out of at least 3 modals in order to do it. Their web design actively impedes sales

It's all secondary, or even tertiary, to serving you ads anyway. Making, selling and shipping a product to a paying customer? Grow up. Better get those engagement metrics up instead or else you'll forfeit your quarterly bonus

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Cabal Ties posted:

I use Firefox for android with ublock origin to play albums on youtube without ads and without being signed in. They hate it. It's constantly prompting me to use the youtube app and poo poo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

PopUpOff. I find has a habit of breaking websites though so I'm not yet sure if it's better than just dealing with the popups.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Biplane posted:

It's all secondary, or even tertiary, to serving you ads anyway. Making, selling and shipping a product to a paying customer? Grow up. Better get those engagement metrics up instead or else you'll forfeit your quarterly bonus

the best is when some sites no long allow for just buying stuff as a anonymous guest, have to make a account.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PhazonLink posted:

the best is when some sites no long allow for just buying stuff as a anonymous guest, have to make a account.

Huh, that's actually something I would say wasn't really possible before, you had to register an account to order anything on the web, guest checkout is something that started coming in 2015 maybe I started to notice it the first time. Our own website didn't start allowing guest checkout until 2021, granted we're pretty old fashioned and don't bother keeping up with trends.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Reading a webpage on my phone behind all the ads like a tweaker peaking through a slit in the miniblinds, an autoplaying video shrieking at me

lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Update on this bullshit new Chrome version:

- thank you for automatically downloading PDFs, something I never consented to, a great way of Keeping Me Safe. Thankfully that’s fixable, but what the hell.

- moving someone from or to CC requires a full minute on Gmail.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
For some reason the main google.com page now has a bunch of news articles at the bottom of the search window. Whatever, I don't care either way normally, but I've noticed a lot of those news stories are not good. I've been linked to parody news sites which gave me an article title that surprised me so I clicked through (I guess they got me) and it was obviously satire, and scaremongering "if you're a parent you NEED to know about these new iPhone features to protect your kid's safety!!!" nonsense. Like, if it was normal news reports about current events of the day then I could see some value, but what is this poo poo? I even checked news.google.com to see if somehow the algorithm would normally feed me that nonsense and that's where it came from, but no, I just get normal relevant daily news on that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you want to see some poo poo , download Edge and glance at its default home page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah I keep getting space clickbait there in my chrome.