Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah but rich people just look like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah I guess.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

OK that is loving bizarre and there isn't enough money in the world to persuade me to even practice/test for such abomination.

Milo and POTUS posted:

They make 1500 an hour

Inceltown posted:

Don't forget tips.

And you get to take home leftovers!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Why is no one mentioning the clients? Two people who look like Bond villains.

Even Bond villains chew with their mouths closed.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK but the implication that I've never tried brioche was weird.

We all use PM's to talk behind your back about the different baked goods we think you have and haven't tried.

Don't even play like you've eaten brioche. homie.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

Why is no one mentioning the clients? Two people who look like Bond villains.

You just watched that video and still think they aren't? :thunk:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

They were actually going to eat that guy, this was a compromise.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Naked lady sushi for the family friendly set :blessed:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The extra zest is the breath of a stranger.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Strong "The Menu" vibes

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Compromise? They're just starting at the salad end?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

TotalLossBrain posted:

No it's duct tape

speed tape

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PainterofCrap posted:

OK that is loving bizarre and there isn't enough money in the world to persuade me to even practice/test for such abomination.

i've had worse jobs

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MrMidnight posted:

Strong "The Menu" vibes

Yeah, like SUPER strong, is this definitely not art?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ChubbyChecker posted:

i've had worse jobs
:justpost:

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

mind the walrus posted:

My brief time at Starbucks was legitimately harder on my mind, body, and soul than working terminal inpatient cases and giving life-saving CPR as an aide. gently caress all their poo poo.

Not Starbucks, but I had a barista job that was so terribly managed that we would often open without espresso, milk, or bagels - literally everything we sold. I was the opener and would literally beg nearby businesses for milk since none of the managers gave a poo poo if I opened with what I needed. I ended up having a meltdown realizing that I was telling my very first customer of the day "sorry, we only have drip coffee right now".

Corporate coffee shops truly are hell on earth

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Starbucks' entire early business model was importing the cheapest, shittiest coffee they could and plastering messaging all over the place about how actually this is extremely good coffee and if you don't agree, you don't know anything about coffee. Like, they were intentionally buying bottom-of-the-barrel reject coffee beans that no one else wanted because of how bitter and gross they were. That way, people who got used to drinking Starbucks would declare actual good coffee as "gross" because it's not what they're used to.

Also known as the Apple strategy: Make your computer products intentionally obtuse as gently caress and go against everything about industry standard design, then talk it up like you're making things "easier" and if you used the competitors, boy you'd be overwhelmed by everything! That way people who get started on Apple computers will always think PCs are too difficult and complicated!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 29, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

deep dish peat moss posted:

Also known as the Apple strategy: Make your computer products intentionally obtuse as gently caress and go against everything about industry standard design, then talk it up like you're making things "easier" and if you used the competitors, boy you'd be overwhelmed by everything! That way people who get started on Apple computers will always think PCs are too difficult and complicated!

Y'know, I've wondered about that. My friends who have Macs swear that they're easier to use, but they seem like a pain and I've wondered if it's just because I'm not used to them. On the other hand I do have an iphone and that's pretty streamlined and easy to use, but my needs from a phone are vastly different and simpler than what I need from a computer. Hard to say

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Kit Walker posted:

Y'know, I've wondered about that. My friends who have Macs swear that they're easier to use, but they seem like a pain and I've wondered if it's just because I'm not used to them. On the other hand I do have an iphone and that's pretty streamlined and easy to use, but my needs from a phone are vastly different and simpler than what I need from a computer. Hard to say

As an Apple devotee who went back to windows for a desktop…. Windows is far easier to use.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wondered that too. I've only used a mac a couple times for a few minutes each, and was completely frustrated each time. I wasn't sure whether it was actually more of a pain or simplified, but in a "you have to know how to do things our way" kind of setup, though.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I realized the other day that I’ve never even used Windows 11 outside of BrowserStack/SauceLabs browser testing for work, and haven’t used Windows on a daily basis since 2014 and Windows 7.

I can’t say that I miss it for what I do on a computer, and that’s probably the important part. Everyone has different needs from their devices.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm sure using a Mac is completely feasible, but that's not the question.

The few times I've had to use a Mac I found it to be incredibly frustrating. I also find the ridiculous over-streamlining of UIs and the hiding/loss of menus in all modern OSs to be a huge detriment to usability and, while that's not unique to Macs, it means that if I don't know how to do something on a Mac, I probably won't be able to find a god damned menu to be able to suss it out, either. So, if you don't already know how to do something on a Mac, just give up and find a Windows PC to do it on instead.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I use a Mac at home and a PC at work and they’re about the same as far as difficulty to use for me. The only thing I sometimes get hung up on is when I go to close a window and the x is on the other side so it takes me an extra half second to do it.

I do think Apple gets higher marks on other devices though like iPhones and iPads for ease of use for your average consumer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This is the year of Desktop Linux

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Okular, the KDE PDF reader, has a checkbox you can check if you want to obey DRM restrictions. It's not checked by default.

Sorry for posting an uncursed screenshot:

It's probably the purest Linux energy to make DRM opt-in. If you want lots and lots of options, this is where you end up.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Linux doesn't have ads natively in the desktop.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Neither does windows 10 if you specificallly kick that crap right out, or rather : yes it does for 99.8% of people that use windows.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kit Walker posted:

My very specific example of this is the Apple Pencil. It's a great stylus and drawing on an ipad is sublime.

It's a bluetooth stylus. As a long-time PC user who had never used Apple products when I got it, I was completely stumped as to how to pair it with the ipad. I had to look up a guide on how to pair a bluetooth device.

The answer is incredibly simple. You could even call it "obvious". You pull the back cap off the pencil and physically plug it into the ipad. That's not "difficult" to do but it completely flies in the face of pairing a goddamn wireless bluetooth device. But it's not actually any "easier" than going into Settings -> Devices and selecting a bluetooth device from the list either, which is the way every other device does it. The only reason it was designed that way is so that people who get used to Apple products will have a hard time switching to non-apple devices because nothing works like they expect it to, based on their experience with Apple's unique design "innovations" which never taught them how to use the same system that every other device and OS uses.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 29, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Which one is Biggus Dickus?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My very specific example of this is the Apple Pencil. It's a great stylus and drawing on an ipad is sublime.

It's a bluetooth stylus. As a long-time PC user who had never used Apple products when I got it, I was completely stumped as to how to pair it with the ipad. I had to look up a guide on how to pair a bluetooth device.

The answer is incredibly simple. You could even call it "obvious". You pull the back cap off the pencil and physically plug it into the ipad. That's not "difficult" to do but it completely flies in the face of pairing a goddamn wireless bluetooth device. But it's not actually any "easier" than going into Settings -> Devices and selecting a bluetooth device from the list either, which is the way every other device does it. The only reason it was designed that way is so that people who get used to Apple products will have a hard time switching to non-apple devices because nothing works like they expect it to, based on Apple's unique design "innovations".

I have muttered so many times when working on/with Macs: "Oh, it just works does it?"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

redshirt posted:

I have muttered so many times when working on/with Macs: "Oh, it just works does it?"

Have you tried turning on the monitor?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

staberind posted:

Neither does windows 10 if you specificallly kick that crap right out, or rather : yes it does for 99.8% of people that use windows.

I can't imagine talking meemaw through updating her hosts file with someonewhocares.org

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Have you tried turning on the monitor?

Siri, turn on the monitor

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

redshirt posted:

Siri, turn on the monitor

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol our corporate future

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

I made the jump from Win7 to Linux after realizing 90% of what I do with my PC is through a web browser anyway.

PopOS for my daily driver, Xubuntu on an old laptop and Ubuntu with Plasma on a newer one don't @ me.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ya’ll are crazy interacting with your operating systems beyond tapping cmd+space or that windows button or whatever and typing out what you want it to open plain and simple like. living that boomer lifestyle. all lost and confused when you swap between desktop environments. can’t figure out what to do because you’re functionally illiterate and someone moved the chrome icon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I agree that every computer should be command line based :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I agree that every computer should be command line based :colbert:

GUI's have made us weak, and soft.