Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Engineering works in the Edinburgh area I think.

They will take advantage of the Xmas - New Year to do work requiring long "possessions" - jobs that can't be done in 5 hours overnight or over a weekend, as the use is much lower then (but of course for the travelling rather than commuting public it always feels like there are rail works going on when they want to use the service during holiday times, bank holidays etc).

It wouldn’t even let me book an open return in November though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've been trying to book a train up to Edinburgh for my annual journey to visit family friends over Christmas - usually I get an open return so I have some flexibility getting back but it seems that it is now impossible to get open returns there any more? Any day or time I try come up blank. Anyone know what's going on with this?

E: from London btw.
Honestly if I were you I'd just fly, it's bound to be cheaper, quicker, and less likely to get cancelled.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

What train operator(s) do you use, maybe there's other works going on affecting part of the route?

Aargh why can't I stop myself from going on Twitter. My blood pressure is sky high reading the hasbara bollox. Writing (and NOT pressing send) on so many tweets.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Comrade Fakename posted:

This website seems to let you choose an open return? I havent seen it through to completion mind.

https://www.mytrainpal.com/train-ti...%3A25%3A07.975Z

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I'm using the LNER site - unfortunately that mytrainpal site doesn't include the specific train I need to take out.

E: tbh I'm not really expecting a solution to this, I just wondered if this was just a weird one-off thing or if as an artifact of our collapsing infrastructure you now permanently couldn't get open returns there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

This is ranging dangerously close to Gundam 00 territory.

Iron Blooded Orphans surely?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans surely?

The protagonist is a Kurdish child soldier and the primary antagonist is a (cynical) Islamist.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But yes I got your joke about primarily targeting of children.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm a bit of a whisk(e)y snob but i loving love Jameson. You can get it in any bar and in most of them it doesn't break the bank. You can drink it neat like it's beer and on ice like it's Ribena, because it has just enough flavour for you to realize that it's whiskey. My favourite Christmas Day drink is an Irish Carbomb (shot glass filled half and half with Jameson and Bailey's and depth charged into just-less-than-a-pint of Guinness). Every time I've been blackout, Withnail and I-style drunk it's been on Jameson. I'm 2 doubles deep in a freshly-cracked litre of Jameson as I write this post. When I die they'll probably find Jameson on my tox report

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wachter posted:

My favourite Christmas Day drink is an Irish Carbomb

:chloe:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Caol Isla, cask strength where possible, or Ardbeg.

I am no longer into the things that try to throw peat at you like it's a competition - basic Laphroaig or Quarter Cask, basic Bowmore.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jack Daniels is probably the best wiski

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Wachter posted:

jesus christ

i'm going to be generous and assume you're american

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

The protagonist is a Kurdish child soldier and the primary antagonist is a (cynical) Islamist.

Well, more precisely, he's a career mercenary who did contract work with an Islamist faction during a very traumatic period of the protagonist's life. No ideology or long-term affiliation of his own beyond 'killing people for money is cool and fun'.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

TACD posted:

Honestly if I were you I'd just fly, it's bound to be cheaper, quicker, and less likely to get cancelled.

Yeah, if you have to get there and back, you're honestly safer flying. Keeping the air open is taken seriously in a way that keeping the trains running just isn't. Getting a train over Xmas is just asking for an 8 hour, unexplained delay, while you sit in some lovely situation with the worst hangover ever, just waiting for the train to move.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wachter posted:

Given we have lots of Irish posters ITT I would request not calling it something you wouldn't call it actually in Ireland, please.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, if you have to get there and back, you're honestly safer flying.
Can I still call it a Basque car trip?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, if you have to get there and back, you're honestly safer flying. Keeping the air open is taken seriously in a way that keeping the trains running just isn't. Getting a train over Xmas is just asking for an 8 hour, unexplained delay, while you sit in some lovely situation with the worst hangover ever, just waiting for the train to move.

Flying is also cheaper lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I would drive

Actually I wouldn't go.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Wachter posted:

Who the gently caress called it that, when Buda’s (Paddy) Wagon was right there.

Yes I know, just as offensive.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

crispix posted:

jesus christ

i'm going to be generous and assume you're american
I’m more of a Black and Tan man myself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wachter posted:

I'm a bit of a whisk(e)y snob but i loving love Jameson. You can get it in any bar and in most of them it doesn't break the bank. You can drink it neat like it's beer and on ice like it's Ribena, because it has just enough flavour for you to realize that it's whiskey. My favourite Christmas Day drink is an Irish Carbomb (shot glass filled half and half with Jameson and Bailey's and depth charged into just-less-than-a-pint of Guinness). Every time I've been blackout, Withnail and I-style drunk it's been on Jameson. I'm 2 doubles deep in a freshly-cracked litre of Jameson as I write this post. When I die they'll probably find Jameson on my tox report

Sounds like you have a healthy relationship with alcohol and also with the Irish

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Wachter posted:

... an Irish Carbomb ...

And then i punched him your Honour... :colbert:

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Caol Isla, cask strength where possible, or Ardbeg.

I am no longer into the things that try to throw peat at you like it's a competition - basic Laphroaig or Quarter Cask, basic Bowmore.

Laphroaig is what I referred to in my drinking days as a "punishment whisky".

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

frytechnician posted:

:wrong:

There's dumb meme peat whiskys, but Laphroaig is one of my favorites. My favorite Scotches, though, have been from this place (since closed) that I happened upon a number of years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Ewe_distillery

The guy that ran it was a real one.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i like jim beam

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

frytechnician posted:

It's an acquired taste but if you do acquire it then it is delicious, especially for a bottle you can find almost everywhere that doesn't break the bank

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
what's the cheapest whisky

that's my favourite, or well, would be if i drank whisky

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it all tastes nice with coke

coca cola that is you reprobates

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wachter posted:

:catstare:

I've never actually seen anyone call it that in non-American spaces before.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my favourite drink is called the columbine but it's just a bunch of shots

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

OwlFancier posted:

Given we have lots of Irish posters ITT I would request not calling it something you wouldn't call it actually in Ireland, please.

down our way we call it a Mountbatten's Surprise

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has to be kept well away from the Kinder Surprise.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm using the LNER site - unfortunately that mytrainpal site doesn't include the specific train I need to take out.

E: tbh I'm not really expecting a solution to this, I just wondered if this was just a weird one-off thing or if as an artifact of our collapsing infrastructure you now permanently couldn't get open returns there.

Seems it may be implementing something they talked about in February. I haven't dug further than this, but I had a look at a return fare from Newport to London but no returns available.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/rail-fares-return-train-ticket-b2276510.html

quote:

At last: some good news on the railway. According to a briefing provided by the Department for Transport to the Telegraph, return train fares are to be scrapped in favour of simplified “single-leg” pricing.

This should see many one-way fares almost halved.

And this one specifically mentions LNER

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/return-train-tickets-to-be-scrapped-on-some-routes-will-it-save-you-money-asVBC1d2k7Pn

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

And this is why plane prices should be raised to subsidise lower train prices.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Wachter posted:

This was a terrible, dogshit post. No excuse. Sorry everyone.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Amazingly enough* I have heard of this cocktail before.
I have even seen pubs have it on their list of drinks.

I mean, humour wise it's dark as gently caress**, and there is an edge to it, but I think you would be able to order one of these in Ireland and not immediately get the crap kicked out of you by the locals.

Now this has come in a week where a retro Podcast by two English hosts I quite like dropped a real clanger by using the phrase "throwing a Paddy" in reference to someone having a sulk. That one, I'd feel offended by more than the edgy name of a drink.
But different horses*** and all that.

* = Amazing since I'm a non drinker.
**= Much like this drink. Hi-oh!
***= Now I'm off to invent my own cocktail. I'm going to call it Shergar's Last Drink.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Wachter posted:

This was a terrible, dogshit post. No excuse. Sorry everyone.

Its easily done. Theres a lot going on and stuff you don't consider the significance of until someone points it out. And you've handled it in exactly the right way. imho

its a shame though, a doubling down no holds barred slap out fight would be more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My whole family used to say that growing up and I still have to occasionally bite it back after learning what it actually meant.