Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The labour government had a more hardline approach to gangs than the previous 9 years of national lmao

It's not going to work idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Both major parties know exactly what causes gang membership and youth crime

Feel free to speculate on the reasons neither do anything to fix the root causes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well clearly I know nothing about gangs except I know I don’t approve of them

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I don't grant your premise that the previous govt was "doing nothing" and "treating them with kid gloves"

tbf I base this not off news but by the sympathy for them I’ve heard from some (certainly not all) on the left, as if they’re just misunderstood misfits that do have a place in our society

and maybe this is fake news idk but word on the street is that gangs were encouraging themselves to vote for labour because national would be worse for themselves. maybe this didn’t happen, or maybe the gangs believed the anti-gang hype spouted by national idk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol didn't know hosking posts itt

Gangs offer an alternative social support structure to people who are completely left in the cold by the government, they are literally people self organizing in an alternative society because normal society would prefer they were dead instead

Christ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Stop generalising about entire cultures from your experience with like 10 people in your workplace. Please reflect on your lovely racism, learn and grow.

hmm well I’ll give it a shot

on some level I think it’s human nature to do this and I know fighting prejudice also means fighting natural human responses to observing (largely) consistent traits amongst groups

a less egregious example is that over time working in retail, I have this learned response that as soon as I hear a north american accent I do a huge internal rolleyes because almost all the time they are pain in the rear end customers, at least compared
to most others. it’s lately I noticed this in me, but I am not really sure what to do about it because whatever subconscious stereotype my brain is building continues to get reinforced by reality

of course this is acceptable prejudice because it’s almost exclusively white north americans :grin:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Lol didn't know hosking posts itt

Gangs offer an alternative social support structure to people who are completely left in the cold by the government, they are literally people self organizing in an alternative society because normal society would prefer they were dead instead

Christ

neo nazi groups offer similar support structures to down n out white kids too

the problem isn’t the support structure of course, it’s their means of self sustainability and intimidation of others that are the issues

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok I'm out, have fun dudes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sorry to piss you off dude. i’ll just unsubscribe myself from the thread. as far as I can tell it’s not like anyone here really enjoys my company anyway lol

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

carrionman posted:

About the only thing I'm cautiously optimistic about is Penny Simmons being put in charge of Te Pukenga, she's absolutely a fan of cutting dead wood in upper management in favour of more frontline staff. Which it needs so badly

Did you miss the bit where they are going to disestablish Te Pukenga?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Taitale posted:

Did you miss the bit where they are going to disestablish Te Pukenga?

Which I'm in favour of.
It's been a crazy amount of money spent on consultants, upper management and functions with zero effective change at ground level.

Bear in mind that she's said she doesn't intend on going back to the competitive model we had, but rather a more Region focused model and management.
It may not be ideal, but what we have now is an utter failure at everything but lining the pockets of upper management.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
It's also worth mentioning that she used to run SIT, which was one of the most successful and cheapest places to study at and only joined the national party because labour were the ones who brought in TP. She's a pain in the rear end micromanager but she does know what she's doing with Tertiary Ed.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

sorry to piss you off dude. i’ll just unsubscribe myself from the thread. as far as I can tell it’s not like anyone here really enjoys my company anyway lol

If you can't take the mildest engagement with and criticism of your ideas then sure, don't let the door hit you on the way out

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

carrionman posted:

only joined the national party because labour were the ones who brought in TP

That sounds like bullshit

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

echinopsis posted:

you think this thread of leftists enjoys even their own company?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

echinopsis posted:

and maybe this is fake news idk but word on the street is that gangs were encouraging themselves to vote for labour because national would be worse for themselves. maybe this didn’t happen, or maybe the gangs believed the anti-gang hype spouted by national idk.

lmao cmon dude.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I don't understand why people would vote for - and encourage others to also vote for - parties who would benefit them.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

carrionman posted:

Which I'm in favour of.
It's been a crazy amount of money spent on consultants, upper management and functions with zero effective change at ground level.

It may not be ideal, but what we have now is an utter failure at everything but lining the pockets of upper management.

The previous model was the same, it just had more upper management spread over the whole country.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Weatherman posted:

I've heard similar things about Vanessa Weenink who got elected to Banks Peninsula electorate. Was previously Labour but fell out in relation to disagreements in relation to health.
Not sure where she stands with things like the recent plan for increasing smoking and all that but eh who knows, maybe they actually buy into the party line that deregulation is always good.

Maybe these people are just single issue politicians who have jumped onto the National ship in the slim hopes of getting their single issue sorted.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lobsterpillar posted:

Maybe these people are just single issue politicians who have jumped onto the National ship in the slim hopes of getting their single issue sorted.

That's the impression I get, with a dash of "I'll go with whichever party that'll help me get into power", like the yanks that switch parties.

Both major parties are different enough that it doesn't sit right with me for someone to just switch their support for any reason other than selfishness (or a significant change in personal circumstances or outlook, like becoming a landlord or a lolbertarian thinking their ideas through and becoming a leftist).

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Nah, just super single issue.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Varkk posted:

The previous model was the same, it just had more upper management spread over the whole country.

Lol, gently caress no. The spread our upper management is still there, there's just more and more bolted on top.the TP strategy meetings I've sat in on have been loving wild

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Weatherman posted:

a lolbertarian thinking their ideas through and becoming a leftist

:allears:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I think I've had enough for a while. Been feeling really gloomy and bummed out the last few days with how loving dumb the new govt is and it loving sucks. I might even have to ignore the news for a while too.

Earlier I was trying to think of a good thing from the last National govt and could only come up with wofs being made every 12 months if your car wasn't ancient.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the auckland super city didn't turn out too bad

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chris Finlayson was by all accounts a very good Minister for Treaty Negotiations, and I think is still pretty well regarded in that area.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I think I've had enough for a while. Been feeling really gloomy and bummed out the last few days with how loving dumb the new govt is and it loving sucks. I might even have to ignore the news for a while too.

Earlier I was trying to think of a good thing from the last National govt and could only come up with wofs being made every 12 months if your car wasn't ancient.

Depending on mileage during the period you can wear your tyres and brakes out completely and still have a legal car!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Depending on mileage during the period you can wear your tyres and brakes out completely and still have a legal car!

System working as intended by those who designed the change

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

If you drive on bald tyres a police officer can pull you over and declare your car to not be roadworthy even if you've got a wof, so no the car would not be legal even if you have a current wof

The wof just says the car was legal at the time of the inspection

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

If you drive on bald tyres a police officer can pull you over and declare your car to not be roadworthy even if you've got a wof, so no the car would not be legal even if you have a current wof

The wof just says the car was legal at the time of the inspection

Lol a pig will almost never do this to anyone with a car new enough to benefit from the new rules

And cops can't really see brakes worn down to the metal, or wiper blades that don't do anything anymore, or any number of other things that aren't obvious

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

I like you echi!

People not respecting communal spaces is a universal thing sadly. I think it's even worse here because we are kind of culturally lazy and have a real "good enough" problem. Also symptoms of an atomized society, etc, etc.

The solution to overflowing work rubbish bins is, of course, communism.

Kathleen fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 30, 2023

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

Lol a pig will almost never do this to anyone with a car new enough to benefit from the new rules

And cops can't really see brakes worn down to the metal, or wiper blades that don't do anything anymore, or any number of other things that aren't obvious

Ofc but just because a car has a wof doesn't mean it's road legal, which is what you suggested

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I thought newer cars had to have a warrant once a year anyway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Ofc but just because a car has a wof doesn't mean it's road legal, which is what you suggested

Cool man

klen dool posted:

I thought newer cars had to have a warrant once a year anyway

A brand new car has a three year wof

A car from 2000 onwards has a one year wof

Older than that it's 6 months

It used to be six months across the board which imo was a good system

This means people are able to buy a brand new car and drive it until it's a deathtrap without ever getting a ticket. I don't care what you think the letter of the law is, that is functionally what the outcome is. No cop is pulling over a 3 year old car for no reason and inspecting the tyres and poo poo.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

cars

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

folks, is it a sign of a strong and stable government to have news stories about calls for the resignation of your health minister less than a week into the job?

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...okefree-changes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470bdH73TUY

klen dool
May 7, 2007

bike tory posted:

folks, is it a sign of a strong and stable government to have news stories about calls for the resignation of your health minister less than a week into the job?

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...okefree-changes

What would be the point? It's not like reti would resign then a new health minister would come along and ban ciggies

Should be calling for his medical licence to be revoked lol

But yeah "strong and stable" it's not.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Slavvy posted:

Cool man

A brand new car has a three year wof

A car from 2000 onwards has a one year wof

Older than that it's 6 months

It used to be six months across the board which imo was a good system

This means people are able to buy a brand new car and drive it until it's a deathtrap without ever getting a ticket. I don't care what you think the letter of the law is, that is functionally what the outcome is. No cop is pulling over a 3 year old car for no reason and inspecting the tyres and poo poo.

Nothing has ever stopped something breaking on any car just after you get a fresh WoF. I could smoke up a fresh set of tyres to nothing on the drive out of the testing station. A WoF has only ever been a snapshot.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

had a 90s hiace minivan up until recently and needing to deal with the wof every 6 months was a significant part of getting rid of it

once got dinged because one of the fog lights was pointed a few degrees too low, lol cmon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I once failed a warrant because I had stickers that extended more than 2.5 cm from the edge of my windscreen, and I mean by 1cm at the most.

I took a craft knife and an engineers ruler and cut all of them to exactly 2.5 cm. When I took it back they said "you didn't take those stickers off" and I said "measure them" and they did and called me a cheeky bastard lol

Another time I "fixed" a failed frayed seatbelt with a lighter and a black vivid.