Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Yeah PS3 is okay with a decently chunky PC with a couple exceptions (MGS4 in particular is extremely demanding) but the PS3/360 console generation isn’t at a point where it’ll run well on a Deck outside a couple select titles that aren’t too demanding, so most of the handheld/mini space is out of the question for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can you put in a 5" screen?

njsykora posted:

Russ tested the 5700U in a mini PC a while back and it struggled with harder PS3 games, I legit don't get the purpose of the 3200U model except maybe as a dedicated Moonlight client.

Why not just get a Shield and hang it to the back of the monitor?

I would get this if the outer shell is a lego set.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEr_Pjsb_iQ

Taki Udon also posted a video coming away impressed and felt the stock OS was actually much improved and currently better than the day 1 GarlicOS release

main difference is the added wifi & bluetooth, better d-pad, and support for some N64, Dreamcast and PSP titles (Taki compared it to the RK3566 chip performance)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 28, 2023

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I ordered a RG35XX Plus over the weekend. It's my first retro console! My criteria was bluetooth, video output, and playability up to Dreamcast. I had settled on either the Anbernic RG-353M or Retroid Pocket 2S, but both were $30ish more than I wanted to spend. I happened upon a video about the Plus going on sale this weekend, and it checked all the boxes. Looking forward to checking it out.

How long does stuff from Anbernic take to get to the US typically?

Terminus
May 6, 2008

canyonero posted:

How long does stuff from Anbernic take to get to the US typically?
I just got my RG405M* after ordering it on the 15th so it looks like about 2 weeks. Yours might take longer with all the holiday shipping though.

*Off topic, It''s awesome and runs Gamecube and Dreamcast a lot better than I assumed it would.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just got my Arc S today and I can play Shining the Holy Ark on a Saturn controller with a screen. It's a dream come true!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just installed daijisho on my rp3+ and it's a way smoother experience than the default launcher. Highly recommended.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I ended up building a Pi4 device with Lakka OS and tonight I discovered I can emulate DS games which opens up a whole new world.

Working trying to change the lakka boot logo to goatse.

The Lakka OS is neat because it’s a retroarch build with just the best cores available for that hardware platform.

If that Aya mini comes in at reasonable pricing, I might skip waiting for a Pi5 since I think pirates ate the pi5 shipping container.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

coconono posted:

If that Aya mini comes in at reasonable pricing, I might skip waiting for a Pi5 since I think pirates ate the pi5 shipping container.

You can see pricing on their Indiegogo page: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ayaneo-retro-mini-pc-creator-of-mini-pc-2-0-era#/. They have some different combos. Lowest is a 3200U+8G+256G for $150, highest is a 5700U+32G+1T for $381. So I guess you're paying a lot for the looks (and brand?). I found some Mini PCs with 5900s on AliExpress for less.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

canyonero posted:

You can see pricing on their Indiegogo page: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ayaneo-retro-mini-pc-creator-of-mini-pc-2-0-era#/. They have some different combos. Lowest is a 3200U+8G+256G for $150, highest is a 5700U+32G+1T for $381. So I guess you're paying a lot for the looks (and brand?). I found some Mini PCs with 5900s on AliExpress for less.

The Minisforum UM590 with a 6900HX is $420, hell the UM773 with a 7735HS is $450 and that uses RDNA2 for its iGPU instead of Vega.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

canyonero posted:

I ordered a RG35XX Plus over the weekend. It's my first retro console! My criteria was bluetooth, video output, and playability up to Dreamcast. I had settled on either the Anbernic RG-353M or Retroid Pocket 2S, but both were $30ish more than I wanted to spend. I happened upon a video about the Plus going on sale this weekend, and it checked all the boxes. Looking forward to checking it out.

Same, pretty excited for it.

I'd eventually like to get one that plays later consoles, like N64, but those seem a bit more expensive.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

What color did everyone end up ordering?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Gray for me. I always disliked translucent controllers when I was a kid, so that's carried forward to adulthood. But maybe if I saw one in person I'd change my mind.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It probably surprises no one here but the fact that I can plug my Arc aka a Sega Saturn controller with a screen in it into a TV then hook up controllers for 4 player Simpsons or Turtles is incredible and I love it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just wish it was more powerful, it would have been an automatic purchase for me if it could actually play Saturn and Dreamcast games.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Terminus posted:

I just got my RG405M* after ordering it on the 15th so it looks like about 2 weeks. Yours might take longer with all the holiday shipping though.

*Off topic, It''s awesome and runs Gamecube and Dreamcast a lot better than I assumed it would.

Yeah. I was shocked, too. Honestly, the only Gamecube game its flubbed for me so far has been Rogue Leader.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah I heard the Arc can be used as a USB controller. Is this a standard thing? Is there a chart somewhere that shows which retro console can be used as a controller on pc/steam deck/shield?/Xbox?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Found the guy Analogue keeps doing these limited runs for

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/s/vFNmWzLAjh

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whatever my brain has that keeps me here, that guy has a whole lot of it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rolo posted:

Whatever my brain has that keeps me here, that guy has a whole lot of it.

I think thats depression :ohdear:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I want bad things to happen to this person.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Good lord, that’s well over $3,000 of hardware. Can those analogue pockets even share cloud saves with each other?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

Edit: nevermind I shouldn’t joke about this. Hopefully they’re just super into collecting these for the nostalgia.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 30, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the grey 353ps rules, aesthetically

the frankenstein approach of snes controller shell and GB DMG bezel and button colors is the best. i hope they do a 355 or 356

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i just wish it was more powerful, it would have been an automatic purchase for me if it could actually play Saturn and Dreamcast games.

Dreamcast is pointless without an analog stick, and it can play a lot of Saturn games just fine! People are also working on custom OSs to improve performance

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nickoten posted:

Good lord, that’s well over $3,000 of hardware. Can those analogue pockets even share cloud saves with each other?

They don't have wifi IIRC

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I imagine we'll probably see the RGARC shell get reused in the future with other chips

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Alan_Shore posted:

Dreamcast is pointless without an analog stick, and it can play a lot of Saturn games just fine! People are also working on custom OSs to improve performance

Now you have me thinking of a Dreamcast controller with a 5” square screen.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

otter posted:

Now you have me thinking of a Dreamcast controller with a 5” square screen.

Sign me the F up

... if it has a smaller VMU screen below

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

interchangable vmu style screens would be sick but i dont even wanna imagine the price point there

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Rolo posted:

Edit: nevermind I shouldn’t joke about this. Hopefully they’re just super into collecting these for the nostalgia.

Maybe he wants to play Zelda and Final fantasy Crystal chronicles with 9 of his favorite bros at the same time.

E. Oh maybe Mario kart tournament. Now that I think about it why wouldn't you buy 10 at a time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Seems like he is prepared for a Game Boy multiplayer adapter Bacchanalia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3r5QLsyhkA

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I got a used Odin Pro from a fellow goon and I'm just totally in love with it. The Retroid 2 I had always hurt my wrists too much, but the Odin feels like a dream.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

njsykora posted:

I want bad things to happen to this person.

Matt Zerella posted:

So are you telling me he’s the guy that sucks?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

So are you telling me he’s the guy that sucks?

My post was sincere and I hope that person seeks help. I legitimately am not making fun of them nor am I wishing any harm on them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

canyonero posted:

It’s using Vega 3 as the GPU which I don’t think is hoss enough to handle PCSX2.

A neat gift you won’t feel bad if they regift.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
maybe i will get the duo before christmas!

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1730618043695276393

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I said 1,000x I’d have my duo before my polymega ever ships. Now analogue has my back on that hunch.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Polymega isnt real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

hatty posted:

Polymega isnt real

Not with that attitude.
I got my (yeah right) it’s shipping before the end of year email like 2 weeks ago now but I don’t think I’ll see it complete before the end of q1 24.