Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I like how it asked me to rate how avid of a gamer I am on a ten point scale and then only gave me seven numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Soylent Pudding posted:

I like how it asked me to rate how avid of a gamer I am on a ten point scale and then only gave me seven numbers.

They hit the quiz in a balance patch but didn't update the tooltips. Classic civ.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The main reason I put uninterested in leaderboards is I have no confidence in their ability to actually measure 'success' - their current point system is basically a reverse time function so is completely useless for comparing any two games.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the point system in game rewards you more for taking longer to do things which is very much the opposite of what you want to do

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Angry at the survey because after it let me tell it I’m a fan of Stardew Valley it didn’t give me a textbox to pitch them on the idea of Civilization Moon: Friends Of Industrial District

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm upset that the two examples it gave of MMORPGs were World of Warcraft and... New World.

:aloom:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I did think that "factory games" or "colony sims" were notably absent from that list.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Poil posted:

"What country do you live in?"
And the list isn't loving alphabetized. I knew they were incompetent dumbasses but come on!

also Canada appears on the list twice

also also the "why did you pick up Civ VI" question with a jillion checkboxes is immediately followed by "why are you still playing Civ VI," with, as far as I could tell, all the same checkboxes but shuffled to be in a different order

professional poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol yes that annoyed me too.

Shuffling the answers is great if you want to avoid slight amounts of bias but this survey is definitely not important enough to merit that.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

also Canada appears on the list twice

also also the "why did you pick up Civ VI" question with a jillion checkboxes is immediately followed by "why are you still playing Civ VI," with, as far as I could tell, all the same checkboxes but shuffled to be in a different order

professional poo poo

On the second question I clicked "other" and typed in "see previous question"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Poil posted:

Most of the answers seemed very unrelated to Civ, this wasn't made by people who have much of a clue about the game(s) at all, right?

Civ VI itself also wasn't made by people with a clue about the game.

I perceive their intent is to bleed the series dry with t-shirts and Civ: Jurassic Park. I'm getting Hasbro acquired Magic the Gathering vibes.(for those of you who follow that)

I don't think we're ever getting a serious Civ game again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

This thread is a great source of gaming doomer-boomer quotes, ngl

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Thanksgaming > Civilization VI: I don't think we're ever getting a serious Civ game again

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Didn't you just get probed for precisely this?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's weird that people still don't get that being mad about other people being mad is just as pathetic, if not more so. At least if it's about as something as low stakes as this.

Anyway if Firaxis aren't scratching that itch, good news, they're not the only entity creating Civ games.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 29, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
that's true, they're the only entity making successful civ games

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Good for them, though when choosing something to watch or play I tend prioritize what I find fun as opposed to what other people purchased.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Bit of a worrisome questionnaire for a game supposedly deep in development. Are they starting civ 7 when they get the quiz results back? See you in 2030

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i find civ vi fun and like to play it and i hope civ vii is a continuation of the design philosophy in vi. maybe stealing some stuff from old world (undo button for the love of god an undo button)

(maybe orders too since that seems to have cracked the 1upt ai issues)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think one of the big changes I'd like to see is adding a settlement or outpost concept other games have introduced. Having something short of a city that claims territory and funnels resources back to the main city would make playing wide less fiddly in the late game when you have a lot of smaller cities to manage. Maybe something like the Humankind ability to merge cities as well.

I also think armies and corps are a good idea to reduce unit clutter caused by 1upt in the late game, but I find I never want to merge my existing units. It's mostly because they all have the same promotions and that would make them weaker overall than if I just made new units and merged them. If the promotions could stack with like promotions I'd be more willing to merge my armies together in the mid and late game.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I never played V, were spinning off far-flung cities into vassal states a thing? That was probably my favorite feature of IV, it was really cool to play on a Terra map, have the various civs start settling the "new world" and within a couple centuries there were 3-4 new civs in the game.

Hope something like that comes back.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
you can produce new units to merge with your veteran units to spend production/gold/faith to make your army stronger without further cluttering

or deliberately give units in the same tree separate promotions with the intent of merging them later

Though the big thing that bothers me about Civ VI is how it half-assed all the supplemental stuff, like the civpedia and tech quotes. I really hope they hire some actual writers and history nerds for the next one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Judgy Fucker posted:

I never played V, were spinning off far-flung cities into vassal states a thing? That was probably my favorite feature of IV, it was really cool to play on a Terra map, have the various civs start settling the "new world" and within a couple centuries there were 3-4 new civs in the game.

Hope something like that comes back.

That was always my favorite as well. I'd inevitably overextend myself during the colonial rush, knock out all the barbarian cities in the new world, utterly crater my economy, then end up basically birthing a country more powerful and successful than my own.

Surely that never happened in real history!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think one of the big changes I'd like to see is adding a settlement or outpost concept other games have introduced. Having something short of a city that claims territory and funnels resources back to the main city would make playing wide less fiddly in the late game when you have a lot of smaller cities to manage. Maybe something like the Humankind ability to merge cities as well.

I always thought it was silly to have to settle an entire city out in the middle of a snowy island just to get some oil. I think the best way to accomplish this without severely unbalancing the early/middle game is to add a new settler-type unit around when you get ocean embarkation, which acts as kind of a combined tile worker/trader - it would be able to set up on a tile but not be a permanent outpost, wouldn't add the tile itself to your empire but require an uninterrupted trade route back to one of your cities to deliver the resources. And it wouldn't have any of the defense/garrison capability of a city (unless you used a military engineer to build a fort, that would actually be a neat extension and a way to actually use forts in a game which I've almost never done).

It could even have its own promotion tree, perhaps with mutually exclusive choices that buff defense, resource extraction rate, or even extraction area (so you could get 2-3 resource tiles that are adjacent or near-adjacent).

A version that does offshore resource extraction would also go well with this system.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Xerol posted:

I always thought it was silly to have to settle an entire city out in the middle of a snowy island just to get some oil. I think the best way to accomplish this without severely unbalancing the early/middle game is to add a new settler-type unit around when you get ocean embarkation, which acts as kind of a combined tile worker/trader - it would be able to set up on a tile but not be a permanent outpost, wouldn't add the tile itself to your empire but require an uninterrupted trade route back to one of your cities to deliver the resources. And it wouldn't have any of the defense/garrison capability of a city (unless you used a military engineer to build a fort, that would actually be a neat extension and a way to actually use forts in a game which I've almost never done).

It could even have its own promotion tree, perhaps with mutually exclusive choices that buff defense, resource extraction rate, or even extraction area (so you could get 2-3 resource tiles that are adjacent or near-adjacent).

A version that does offshore resource extraction would also go well with this system.

maybe just turning forts into those "new settlements". in civ VI military engineers appear about the correct time, and rome having the ability to colonize with the legions would be kinda neat as well

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Xerol posted:

III already had this solved, workers could build a “colony” on a resource outside your borders and if you connected the colony to your civ with a road, ta-da, you had the resource. Colonies didn’t provide defense themselves nor fortification bonuses, just a way to extract the resource.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
It could also be cool to have some sort of outposts (preferably both sea and land) that you could place at the edge of a city radius to allow the city access to workable tiles outside the 3 tile radius. Like right now building a city on the tundra is kind of a waste of a settler for all but a few civs, but if that city could have an outpost or two it might, at some point, see a sustainable double digit population without 3 Neighborhoods. Maybe penalize the yields in the extensions, or make it so a citizen has to work an Outpost for the tiles to be accessible, there's loads of ways to balance.

If we're just wishlisting I'd also like a bigger map and more tile variations - things like Dense variations of the Forest and Rainforest that are impassable or less passable without technologies, and Mountainous Terrain as a step between Hills and impassable useless Mountains would be cool. Bigger map would also allow for multi-tile constructions to more accurately portray scales, like Petra is dozens of square miles of mountain pockmarked with (mostly ruined) subterranean structures and originally had buildings outside as part of the city while the Eiffel Tower is less than 500 ft per side, weird that they're the same size on the map to me.

E: Also Military Engineers feel like they show up at about the right time, but people have been tunneling through mountains or at least building roads over and through them for thousands of years, so Mountain Tunnel feels like it shows up late by at least a full millennium. I'd prefer earlier access to them but maybe they don't connect through the chain until Military Engineers?

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 29, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've been playing around with an idea for some time now regarding the extraction of resources: the idea is you can assign a citizen to work a tile regardless of how far it is away from your city, but the distance attenuates the amount of resource your city actually collects. So you work an iron mine but if it's five tiles away (and that terrain is all hills and no road) then you lose 80% of the effort in just transporting the stuff, so you end up with a trickle.

Obviously you've got to exert control of the tile (and the path back to the city) somehow too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Anyway, my biggest wishlist item of all is non-renewable resources that can be depleted, including forest

Gimme that and I'll tolerate a lot of poo poo

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Microplastics posted:

Anyway, my biggest wishlist item of all is non-renewable resources that can be depleted, including forest

Gimme that and I'll tolerate a lot of poo poo

I feel like this would end up just as unfun as every pollution and global warming mechanic ends up being. Also the way the Civ games get balanced you'll somehow end up running out of all your resources four turns into the industrial revolution and slide into post peak collapse instantly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh yeah I'm sure they'd implement it terribly, if they did.

But i think there's value in a mechanic where you have to weigh up long term sustainability that'll take you into the end game, against gaining a short term advantage that gives you an early game edge

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Microplastics posted:

But i think there's value in a mechanic where you have to weigh up long term sustainability that'll take you into the end game, against gaining a short term advantage that gives you an early game edge

The usual approach in civ is to use the short term boost to steal stuff off whoever opted for long twrm sustainability...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Microplastics posted:

Isn't that what chops are meant to be

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Valletta is the most OP of the city states, right? In the early game you can set up all your cities with walls for a very cheap price. Mid game you can get all your colonies monuments and granary so you can get to building districts. And late game you can build flood walls for next to nothing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's pretty good, but it's a bonus that fires once then you can let it go for a while. Other CS's can win you the game by themselves if you're even vaguely set up for it, such as Lahore giving you OP combat units you can faith-buy, then Akkad just letting you ram them through city walls. Or Yereven enabling an sudden pivot to religious victory, Carthage letting you buy combat units for near-zero gold, etc etc.

edit: I just checked the wiki, and meanwhile almost every single Commercial city-state is total junk, lol.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 30, 2023

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I shouldn't care but this question is getting to me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

take boat posted:

I shouldn't care but this question is getting to me

its like asking someone to rate doom

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's unfair, as Doom2 is still actively played & has a dev community to this day. I wouldn't recommend Civ1 as a starting point to anyone nowadays, but in the context of that survey it was clearly asking about "was this a good game y/n", which uh, a dozen sequels later, what type of question is that?

Survey dumb.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Maybe it's a vetting question, and they'll discard your entire entry if you liked Civ1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

If we're just wishlisting I'd also like a bigger map and more tile variations - things like Dense variations of the Forest and Rainforest that are impassable or less passable without technologies, and Mountainous Terrain as a step between Hills and impassable useless Mountains would be cool. Bigger map would also allow for multi-tile constructions to more accurately portray scales, like Petra is dozens of square miles of mountain pockmarked with (mostly ruined) subterranean structures and originally had buildings outside as part of the city while the Eiffel Tower is less than 500 ft per side, weird that they're the same size on the map to me.

E: Also Military Engineers feel like they show up at about the right time, but people have been tunneling through mountains or at least building roads over and through them for thousands of years, so Mountain Tunnel feels like it shows up late by at least a full millennium. I'd prefer earlier access to them but maybe they don't connect through the chain until Military Engineers?

I think they should just go back to mountains having yields and being traversable. Not great yields, 2 production and nothing else would be fine in Civ 6 terms. And cost like 6 movement points to move into, and maybe even a penalty for starting a turn on one. Make it so it really sucks to cross mountains but you still can.