Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I feel like my history education in public school was pretty good, but I was in a gifted program in middle school, took APUSH in high school, and was a giant nerd who read the textbook for fun, so my perspective is almost certainly skewed. The average high schooler certainly isn't getting A People's History of the United States as assigned reading or watching The Power of Nightmares in class.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
tbf as much as i like it as an interesting work of art, i do not think i would recommend The Power Of Nightmares as curricula. you could maybe swing it as a good hook to get kids interested in history. it's definitely entertaining, but rigorous it ain't. you could build a curriculum around it, but lol at the idea of high school history having that much time to focus on that narrow of a subject and cover enough sources to contextualize it with drier sources

now, if your high school somehow has a video media production course, it'd be great for that

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A People's History of the United States was required reading for my Sophomore history class, and also for APUSH.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
As a product of 80s/90s education, I can say that anything that encouraged developing a critical eye to what was in front of you was absolutely not going to be a textbook. They were all about instilling the capital letters Belief In What You Are Reading

edit- in fact, and it kills me that I can't remember which book, but in like an 11th/12th grade lit class we covered a story with an unreliable narrator and it just absolutely broke these kids' brains. The idea that the omnipotent relayer of facts could be a lying piece of poo poo with an agenda (or, you know, just a flawed person whose perspective colors their description of events) was too much for them to handle. You can figure they did poorly when they got to the age to start seeing historical revisionism.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 29, 2023

Guuse
May 11, 2009

GD_American posted:

As a product of 80s/90s education, I can say that anything that encouraged developing a critical eye to what was in front of you was absolutely not going to be a textbook. They were all about instilling the capital letters Belief In What You Are Reading

edit- in fact, and it kills me that I can't remember which book, but in like an 11th/12th grade lit class we covered a story with an unreliable narrator and it just absolutely broke these kids' brains. The idea that the omnipotent relayer of facts could be a lying piece of poo poo with an agenda (or, you know, just a flawed person whose perspective colors their description of events) was too much for them to handle. You can figure they did poorly when they got to the age to start seeing historical revisionism.

Catcher in the Rye? That sounds like about the point in their schooling that a lot of kids might be exposed to it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I was a substitute, I sat in to help and learn with my friend's 12th grade English class.
They were doing "A Modest Proposal".
It was very difficult for some of them to understand that, no, he wasn't really saying to eat babies.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Having to teach children irony is sad but it explains so much. It should be comedy's job, which is funny and that's ironic in a meta sort of way

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Another Osprey has gone down, this time in Japan. It was flying off the coast of Kagoshima in the far southwest of Japan. 8 people were on board, and apparently 3 people have been found so far. No information on the status of the 3 people found has been released yet - due to the way Japanese laws work, this could mean anything from "they're fine" to "they found three bodies". In general only a doctor at a hospital can pronounce someone dead, so even if they're obviously dead the police or news will initially report them as "in critical condition" or "a state of cardiac arrest".

Here's the article from the NHK I got this from, in Japanese obviously. It looks like it's getting updated, so you might be able to google translate it to get more information if there are no English sources reporting on it yet.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Mass shooting from a white supremacist Nazi shooter, injured four people, luckily according to the video description they all lived. Shooter died from a self inflicted gunshot before cops arrived because he's a punk piece of poo poo who only likes unarmed victims.

News article in video description. Not graphic at all.

https://youtu.be/u4X6a2B39NA?si=nqY01pgmtiSRSrDl

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://x.com/HogarthFan69/status/1728435757545926944?s=20

New Hannibal Lecter origin story reveals he only became a serial killer to protest against the nanny state.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

These drat liberals are forcing my hand, gonna have to hurt some people!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bored As gently caress posted:

Mass shooting from a white supremacist Nazi shooter, injured four people, luckily according to the video description they all lived. Shooter died from a self inflicted gunshot before cops arrived because he's a punk piece of poo poo who only likes unarmed victims.

News article in video description. Not graphic at all.

https://youtu.be/u4X6a2B39NA?si=nqY01pgmtiSRSrDl

This is across the interstate from WPAFB, for context.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Share Message - US charges Indian man in alleged assassination plot
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67570007

Looks like they were gearing up to assassinate another Sikh separatist, but this time on American soil (and an American citizen, no less)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arrath posted:

Share Message - US charges Indian man in alleged assassination plot
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67570007

Looks like they were gearing up to assassinate another Sikh separatist, but this time on American soil (and an American citizen, no less)

Seems like India's gangs or agents are targeting more people on US soil lately.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Surely their actions will be just as consequence-free in the US as they were in Canada

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Next up on the All-Tom Clancy Channel:

https://defence-blog.com/venezuela-prepares-for-invasion-into-guyana

quote:

he ongoing contention centers on Essequibo, an area abundant in oil and valuable minerals. Venezuela aims to determine its future through a referendum scheduled for Sunday, intending to transform Essequibo into a Venezuelan state. However, the practical and legal ramifications of this vote, including its potential to alter the geopolitical landscape, remain unclear, stirring unease among the region’s inhabitants.

Encompassing an area of 61,600 square miles (159,500 square kilometers), Essequibo constitutes two-thirds of Guyana’s territory. Nonetheless, Venezuela has historically laid claim to Essequibo, tracing its possession back to the Spanish colonial period. The border defined by international arbitrators in 1899, during Guyana’s time as a British colony, has been contested by Venezuela for an extended period.

Venezuela’s commitment to its territorial claims has fluctuated over the years. In 2015, ExxonMobil’s announcement of significant oil discoveries near Essequibo reignited Venezuela’s interest in the region.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m looking forward to the first person to let slip on TV that they still believe that Chavez is running Venezuela.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Redoing arbitrated borders? 54’40” is back on the menu, boys.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hell yeah war in some place that isn’t a desert.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Anecdotally, a Venezuelan goon I chatted with on discord thinks that this is just posturing. They said that Venezuela's government has been making noises about this for years but hasn't as far as they know made any serious efforts to prepare for an invasion.

Fingers crossed this is just someone down there going "Pay attention to meeee, global media!"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Crossposting from YOSPOS because lol goodbye all that money

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1729993450001711475?t=hd90GViJ_BmUYx-dJ_bBFw&s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1729991315125878917?t=FAc83tNxsIiiY3B_npvOsg&s=19

Hot dog

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Hot diggity dog

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol was wondering why was still invited to that event but that’s excellent. Hope whoever has influence is leaning hard on sports to abandon Twitter, if the NFL left so much casual traffic would fade away.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s all happening at 𝕏.

🤣

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is the CEO all these other CEOs want to emulate. Genius/s

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

“Blackmailing” with ad money….

Imagine being as loving stupid as this goomba.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol was wondering why was still invited to that event but that’s excellent. Hope whoever has influence is leaning hard on sports to abandon Twitter, if the NFL left so much casual traffic would fade away.

To steal a line: NYT hates trans kids as much as Elon does

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If there is a god they’ll make these Linda’s last words on behalf of X

Edit: oh no it was in October :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1729980882734268612?t=PbCVy6r7tq-JUFKJ1zWMrg&s=19

Seems illegal.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I haven't seen a clip of Musk in a while but goddamn he looks like Dana Carvey in a bad rubber mask doing a bit.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
He got that Ted Cruz melting face before hiding it behind a beard thing going on

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm not entirely sure how this is possible but it just occurred to me this is the first time I've heard him speak before.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Haha, yessssssss! Light that match, Elon!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I hate his toddler-acting-unpottytrained-rear end smirk. He always just took a big poopy and knows you're gonna have to clean it up

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You know what, dog him all you want about telling all the advertisers to gently caress themselves, but that was literally the first time that I've heard him actually say something that wasn't a steaming pile of meaningless garbage wrapped up in 7 layers of marketing gibberish. He's finally evolving.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Basticle posted:

I'm not entirely sure how this is possible but it just occurred to me this is the first time I've heard him speak before.

Same here. Nothing of value was missed.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/esjesjesj/status/1730015972180857289

He's on all the drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

not caring here posted:

You know what, dog him all you want about telling all the advertisers to gently caress themselves, but that was literally the first time that I've heard him actually say something that wasn't a steaming pile of meaningless garbage wrapped up in 7 layers of marketing gibberish. He's finally evolving.

On the other hand, him saying advertisers were going to kill X, instead of him telling advertisers to gently caress off, was like that time my brother refused a transfer to another hospital for needed medical care because he wanted to send a(n unnecessary) message to my mom.

In this case, instead of "self-own winding up in the hospital again three days later anyway", it's "self-own, big melty-faced dumb tanking the rest of his $44B".