Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That is absolutely abnormal behavior for CarPlay. I have a different podcast app though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that’s not how it is supposed to work at all.

CarPlay rules and I haven’t had any issues like that with Spotify

Reboot your car and your phone and try again maybe.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Also I figure it's worth making sure your phone is fully updated?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Demon_Corsair posted:

After switching to iPhone after years on android I’m genuinely impressed by how terrible CarPlay is.

Is it supposed to just be a pretty facade that doesn’t do anything? I’ve tried both Spotify and pocketcasts now and you can’t go pick a podcast or playlist and hit play. You can see everything just fine, but when you pick a podcast or song you get a grey screen and nothing plays.

Been using CarPlay for awhile now and never once had this issue. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this frustrating bs.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've gotten the issue where out of nowhere there becomes lag between my tap and it registering (and for all I know that could be a waze bug) but Spotify has never had an issue picking stuff and having it play.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had a weird issue this morning where the navigation on my main infotainment screen seemed frozen in that my position didn’t move, but the map it puts on my instrument cluster was correct. Just changing from route overview to the closer in where it’s showing from above your POV seemed to kick it into working again. Strange!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Demon_Corsair posted:

After switching to iPhone after years on android I’m genuinely impressed by how terrible CarPlay is.

Is it supposed to just be a pretty facade that doesn’t do anything? I’ve tried both Spotify and pocketcasts now and you can’t go pick a podcast or playlist and hit play. You can see everything just fine, but when you pick a podcast or song you get a grey screen and nothing plays.

something sounds up on your end, it works absolutely fun for me

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
This does happen to me sometimes. It’s either a network connection issue because I’m in covered parking or the app is not working right. I usually just kill the app on the phone to get it to work again

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

works4me

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s not how it’s supposed to work OP. It does the things just fine for me and most people.

Edit: oh, there was another page. OP you should restart your phone and car head unit. The latter can usually be done by holding down the “power/mute” button for your radio.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 28, 2023

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Any recommendations for a manga reading app on iPad?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panels is nice, and talks to Komga if you use that.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Panels is nice, and talks to Komga if you use that.

That looks perfect, thank you!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Peteyfoot posted:

Any recommendations for a manga reading app on iPad?

I agree Panels is best for your local files.

If you’re comfortable with either trying to grab a TestFlight spot from their Discord, or sideloading the GitHub .ipa through AltStore, Aidoku is the best way to interface with manga reading websites.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

101 posted:

I agree Panels is best for your local files.

If you’re comfortable with either trying to grab a TestFlight spot from their Discord, or sideloading the GitHub .ipa through AltStore, Aidoku is the best way to interface with manga reading websites.

That's great to know as well, I appreciate the rec!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
speaking of Panels, I thought of naming trends in iOS/macos apps, and one prominent one was the plural-noun. I guess iApps were another.

on the iOS paid leaderboard, i see Streaks, Things, arguably Ski Tracks (not counting AeroPads, PhotoPills, etc. -- they don't fit the mold). as far as iNames, i see iBend Pipe, iStroboSoft, iDrumTune, iReal

on iOS free, I see Threads (I don't think it really counts) and no iApps. it's mostly apps by companies with their own brands. I don't see any iNames.

on my App Library i see Drafts, iRetro, and iSh.

it seems it's the paid apps tending toward the names patterned after Apple's (eg Numbers, iTunes). I assume the iNames are mostly iOS-only. does anyone know if there are Android-only apps using the Nouns/iNames conventions? Are there other trends?

finally... why?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
seems like you could literally be doing anything else with your time, OP

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wait until you learn about the trend of financial companies naming their businesses after first names! (Oscar, Dave, Albert, Alice)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do y’all remember that app iBeer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No

Hope this helps

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Boris Galerkin posted:

yes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

There was an interview with the guy who made that app about a year ago

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/ibeer-app-history

From unemployed magician to self taught developer making $20k a day to farmer in Spain

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was that the one where you used the tilt sensor to drink a glass of beer the size of the screen?

Wild times, huh.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else just getting inundated with push notifications lately from apps? Amazon pushed 11 notifications to me today alone since 9am about gifts under $20, gifts for your family, gifts for your techy friends etc. the Etsy and eBay app are doing the same.

You can go in the app and disable them but it’s still weird they went from like 0-100mph on those so fast. Surely it’s not just the Christmas season causing it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else just getting inundated with push notifications lately from apps? Amazon pushed 11 notifications to me today alone since 9am about gifts under $20, gifts for your family, gifts for your techy friends etc. the Etsy and eBay app are doing the same.

You can go in the app and disable them but it’s still weird they went from like 0-100mph on those so fast. Surely it’s not just the Christmas season causing it.

Amazon in particular got real aggressive with that for me last week, had to go in and disable them.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’m in the same boat, it’d be great if they alerted me to things on my wishlist being on sale, something that’d actually make me want to buy something. But nope, a million notifications about sales I don’t care about

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
EFb

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just turn off most notifications lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Chewy started pushing deals to me even though I disabled “deals” so I just ended up turning the whole app off. Kinda sucks because the tracking and auto ship notices are nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Something definitely changed this year, I spent most of Thanksgiving weekend unsubscribing from the emails of every business I've bought something from for the past 15 years. They were desperate for me to buy crap.

Deleted a couple apps over it too, notifications ain't an advertising channel you dipshits.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple users are so valuable, Amazon doesn’t even let you granularly select what kind of notifications you want. It’s infuriating. Want updates on orders shipping? Enjoy being bombarded with Amazon streaming ads, cyber Monday ads, every ad under the sun.

It’s no wonder Apple users mostly just turn off notifications altogether. On Android, apps have different notification types and you can choose which you turn on and off. On iOS, apps can implement notifications however they want.

Apple should punish Amazon for stuff like that.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Boris Galerkin posted:

Chewy started pushing deals to me even though I disabled “deals” so I just ended up turning the whole app off. Kinda sucks because the tracking and auto ship notices are nice.

if you register your address with fedex, ups, et al you can either get their apps to send you updates or have them text you - it's not quite as granular but "Package from CHEWY.COM arriving on 11/30/2023" in a text message from UPS is pretty good, and they don't hit you with ads

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
If you pay for Parcel's premium features ($5/year), it will automatically pull your Amazon orders in, so you can disable Amazon's notifications if all you care about are shipping ones.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

What’s the benefit of using the Amazon app? It’s just a website??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TACD posted:

What’s the benefit of using the Amazon app? It’s just a website??

Imo it’s way quicker to look up and order poo poo on the app

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Corb3t posted:

It’s no wonder Apple users mostly just turn off notifications altogether. On Android, apps have different notification types and you can choose which you turn on and off. On iOS, apps can implement notifications however they want.

Apple should punish Amazon for stuff like that.

It’s actually against the App Store review guidelines to use push notifications for advertising. But when Apple themselves use them for upselling their own services there’s not a lot of hope for that rule being enforced.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't necessarily mind apps advertising certain things to me, but at least give me some granularity for notifications settings, or I'll just turn them off altogether, which is what I ended up doing for Amazon - I just use Parcel's integration instead.

Still can't believe Google Voice's app doesn't let you mute specific text convos. Do they even have one dev or pm working on the app at this point?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Still can't believe Google Voice's app doesn't let you mute specific text convos. Do they even have one dev or pm working on the app at this point?

I can absolutely believe that. It took me almost a year to get dark mode in gmail. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are versions of Google voice where you can mute the conversations you just aren’t on that testing branch or whatever.

A/B testing is the absolute worst.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I use GMail but am kinda over the app and how it is full of ads and keeps trying to get me to use Chrome.

What are people using? Is the Apple Mail good enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

smackfu posted:

I use GMail but am kinda over the app and how it is full of ads and keeps trying to get me to use Chrome.

What are people using? Is the Apple Mail good enough?

I've moved to Fastmail and am migrating most things away from Gmail. It can have your Gmail or icloud or whatever accounts in it too!