Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If Cease is actually available and Mike Elias isn't on the phone like, yesterday, I am going to be very upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Chicago White Sox are dogshit garbage.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1730006443632337270?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Huh

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
There is a distinctly possibility that if the Yankees trade Schmidt straight up for Soto, they are still not good enough to make the playoffs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

Soto on the Yankees will fill the Bernie hole that’s been open for years

Soto and Bernie go into the HoF together, who says no?

Oh, ew. First Dellin, now Sevy?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

live with fruit posted:

Plenty of guys have had a great first 30 at-bats. Which isn't to say that Dominguez sucks but it's classic Yankees to act like their prospects are the greatest in the world when, according to neutral prospect writers, he'd be the fourth best "unestablished young player" in the Padres organization.

I think the opposite is true for Jasson. He was so heralded out of international free agency and people were disappointed that he wasn't Mike Trout or Juan Soto and kind of wrote him off despite still having obvious talent and being 20 years old. Here's what I posted about him when he was first called up:

ihatepants posted:

Edit: He had been showing elite levels of swing decisions all year despite not getting results until the last couple of months. I found it weird that lots of people jumped Spencer Jones over Jasson as the Yankees top prospect when Jasson was the youngest player in the EL by nearly a year, was four years younger than the average player and still leads the EL in walks despite being promoted a week ago.

https://twitter.com/RyanGarciaESM/status/1693801016410489098?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Mets are so confusing. Are they rebuilding or not?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MarinoMLB/status/1729899468412146078

More and more teams realizing Ohtani has already decided to become a Cub and moving on, as they should.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sydin posted:

More and more teams realizing Ohtani has already decided to become a Cub and moving on, as they should.
So that would probably be who, Blue Jays or Yankees? I don't think Boston would be in. Tampa certainly isn't, and there's no way the Orioles were involved.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What is this severino signing, Mets?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FlamingLiberal posted:

So that would probably be who, Blue Jays or Yankees? I don't think Boston would be in. Tampa certainly isn't, and there's no way the Orioles were involved.

Boston probably had one conversation and then dropped out

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
If there isn’t a no trade clause then it looks to me like they hope Severino will be good enough for three months and flip him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Boston probably had one conversation and then dropped out
"Look, our city technically isn't racist to Asians"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I see no mystery on why a team would take a one year flier on a dude with ace ability. Maybe it’s a wash and he sucks. Maybe he is good and helps you. Maybe he’s good and you trade him. If you’ve got the rotation room and no better plan why not?

I would have loved to see the Yanks keep him but given their rotation questions and the pressure to improve the team that wasn’t gonna happen. But I don’t hate the Mets so I’m glad I’ll be able to watch some Sev games local and will be rooting for him.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Barvos

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's the NL East

I also don't think Liberty Media is going to let the Braves pay Ohtani $500 mil or whatever even if he wanted to go play there

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the NL East

I also don't think Liberty Media is going to let the Braves pay Ohtani $500 mil or whatever even if he wanted to go play there

We’re not going to keep Fried after next year, so why not?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

I see no mystery on why a team would take a one year flier on a dude with ace ability. Maybe it’s a wash and he sucks. Maybe he is good and helps you. Maybe he’s good and you trade him. If you’ve got the rotation room and no better plan why not?

I would have loved to see the Yanks keep him but given their rotation questions and the pressure to improve the team that wasn’t gonna happen. But I don’t hate the Mets so I’m glad I’ll be able to watch some Sev games local and will be rooting for him.

Yeah the Mets are paying Severino $13M hoping for a bounce back and like, he was good as recently as last year so why not? The Cubs gave Bellinger $18M when he hadn't been good since 2019.

That said if there were a list of teams I'd trust to successfully help an oft-injured starter bounce back, the Mets would be so far off that list you'd have to write them down in a different zipcode.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sounds like it was Boston

https://x.com/MarinoMLB/status/1729900491042091139?s=20

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Bregor posted:

If there isn’t a no trade clause then it looks to me like they hope Severino will be good enough for three months and flip him.

Yep, this looks like the vintage Royals move of taking on a cheap vet in hopes that he gets hot in the first half, then flip him before the ASB to a team with playoff hopes for some decent prospects.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sydin posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ERkpS9i.gifv

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WHY IS THIS SO loving HARD ARTE

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This loving franchise deserves the Curse of the Second Bambino

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mdemone posted:

WHY IS THIS SO loving HARD ARTE
I feel bad for Angels fans that he didn't sell

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel bad for Angels fans that he didn't sell

That's the thing that makes me crazy, somebody convinced him he had a big upside in franchise value based on Shohei, that's why he didn't sell

BUT NOT IF HE LEAVES GOD drat IT

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ohtani, please. Come to the Rangers. The shittiest old white dudes on the radio will be dead soon, it'll be okay.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm kind of working myself up about a 6-man rotation if they get Yamamoto, although that would also require buy-in from Cole and the rest of the guys. I reckon there's gotta be some value in not asking NPB guys to change their routine immediately after being posted.

The thing you want to do when you have the best pitcher in baseball is reduce the number of games he's able to start. Seems like a GREAT idea.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

mdemone posted:

This loving franchise deserves the Curse of the Second Bambino

If the Angels really did draw a curse down upon themselves for letting Ohtani leave, how would anyone be able to tell

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I was under the impression that the Ricketts were cheapskates, content to ride the fumes of a WS win for the foreseeable future. Why would they be going for Ohtani?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The thing you want to do when you have the best pitcher in baseball is reduce the number of games he's able to start. Seems like a GREAT idea.

Its not like Rodon and Cortes will stay healthy!

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Sydin posted:

For what it's worth, this guy is full of poo poo and has no actual sources to back him up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

I was under the impression that the Ricketts were cheapskates, content to ride the fumes of a WS win for the foreseeable future. Why would they be going for Ohtani?
I still think that any contract money that would be going to Ohtani is earmarked for a Trump Super PAC

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The idea that Ohtani was even considering the Rangers seemed like bullshit to me anyway. Just sign with the Dodgers already so we can all move on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I went into the offseason similarly thinking that there was no way in hell the Cubs would spend on Ohtani, but every report out of MLB beat writers is that they are going all in on him. :shrug:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

bravesword posted:

If the Angels really did draw a curse down upon themselves for letting Ohtani leave, how would anyone be able to tell

See you down in Arizona Bay.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Cortes would do better as a long relief guy who can give you 3-4 innings twice a week, notably a role they did not have anyone in last year. It's not out of the question that the yankees need to add at least 2 starters to even get to 5, let alone six (presuming someone goes in a Soto trade and honestly who knows about King - I think he will do fine but it is a new venture after all).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Cortes would do better as a long relief guy who can give you 3-4 innings twice a week, notably a role they did not have anyone in last year.

No team has used anyone in that role in 10+ years

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Mets also signed Joey Wendle. Enjoy, Mets fans!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

No team has used anyone in that role in 10+ years

Wow someone doesn't watch the Rays!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I went into the offseason similarly thinking that there was no way in hell the Cubs would spend on Ohtani, but every report out of MLB beat writers is that they are going all in on him. :shrug:

Jason Heyward is off the books and suddenly there's lots of extra money lying around