Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sega 32X posted:

Folks who watched it: is it not for kids at all? My guy is a young preteen and watches all sorts of 80s PG/PG13 stuff (Ghostbusters, etc -- some swears, some scary stuff) and we watch Godzilla movies together, but I don't know if I should bring him and I haven't seen too much about gore, etc. (He was a bit bored with Edwards Godzilla and I don't think we will watch Shin for a few years, for reference).

Gore is pretty light. Blood on faces and shirts level stuff. People get stepped on but you don't see the results.

The worst is probably right at the beginning when (minor spoilers discribing violence in the opening scenes) soldiers are bitten in half and tossed through the air by small Godzilla. Similar to Jurassic Park's T-Rex

I'd be more worried your kid will be bored with the human story. There is much more of that than Godzilla himself.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m so drat hyped for this movie im going tomorrow

bigDninja
Jul 31, 2011
Saw the new movie and really liked it.

Probably my favorite human elements/characters from any Godzilla.

It felt like a retelling of the original Godzilla cast with modern sensibilities but still some ambiguity around the Japanese government post WW2.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Just watched this in IMAX and holy poo poo what an experience. Speechless. Go watch this y’all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

unpurposed posted:

Just watched this in IMAX and holy poo poo what an experience. Speechless. Go watch this y’all.

Same. I found out that although the San Francisco Metreon's IMAX is held for the Beyoncé concert movie this weekend, G-1 is back to the IMAX screen starting monday. I'm going to see it at least one more time on that giant format.

WHat I love about this movie is that Shin Godzilla was amazing because it was the Eldrich Horror Godzilla; completely indifferent to humanity and just doing it's thing.

Minus One Godzilla is the VERY PERSONAL gently caress YOU Horror Godzilla. In ways, making it the smaller 50 meter height ads to just how loving terrifying it is.

2nd best G movie in my list for sure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This loving movie RULES. Holy poo poo. Perfect. I was blown away with it while being generally deadly serious had some of the classic human G elements. And the soundtrack is legit so scary - at least the first half. I listened to it on the way home and it made for a tense night drive.

Song
The cover of the classic theme is honestly one of the best I’ve heard. The tubas(I’m guessing) are just so loving LOUD. And then in the final battle they bust out the GODZILLA VS KING KONG THEME FROM 62???!! My second favourite loving song from the entire series??? I had a huge grin.

Like just turn this up as loud as you can - it’s incredible. It almost sounds like what they did in Dredd with slowing the Bieber song immensely but this time with an air raid siren. Incredible stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTvGUVX0D-k

I can’t wait to buy this and watch in 4K - it’s legit either tied or better than Shin. Prob better to be honest. You can easily follow along in a good way and the acting is actually real good! gently caress.

I loved this.

10/10

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
FOLKS

IT’S GOOD

SEE IT IN IMAX

I think this takes the cake for my favorite human plot in a g-film, to the point where I was more invested in them than anything the total character was doing. All the emotional beats land perfectly and I loved the cast.

Extreme spoilers:
I was not expecting a Godzilla film to finally have a “Just this once, everybody lives!” moment but it hit me like a truck when it happened.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Long time Godzilla fan, first time thread poster. I was really excited to see that and... I was not so hot on it.

Whole movie spoilers
The spectacle of it all was certainly amazing (got to see an atmos screening - kickass sound mixing) and I wasn't surprised to read afterwards that the director was a fan of GMK, especially with the way Godzilla was emitting some weird light at the end. But.. that plot?? I picked up on all of the themes of regret and of the main character wanting to redeem himself and so on, but then you deliver the ending to us in a Dark Knight Rises way? Why? Why was that necessary? I was so engaged with the story until that cheap rear end rug pull. I honestly think I would have been more on the edge of my seat if we knew about the ejector seat. Shikishima did not seem like a man who would use it. I dunno, the action was really tense, the monster bits were good, but I am kind of shocked that the general reaction from reviewers is "the human stuff in a Godzilla movie is finally good!"

Also - is this the first Japanese Godzilla movie where we actually see Godzilla bite a human directly and intentionally?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

holefoods posted:

Whole movie spoilers
I honestly think I would have been more on the edge of my seat if we knew about the ejector seat.

I dunno, I guessed that was going to happen after there was a discussion about the Japanese government not putting ejection seats in their fighter planes, and then it's revealed that the maintenance crew had fitted a foreign-made seat in the Shinden local fighter and it didn't hit as hard for me

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I dunno, I guessed that was going to happen after there was a discussion about the Japanese government not putting ejection seats in their fighter planes, and then it's revealed that the maintenance crew had fitted a foreign-made seat in the Shinden local fighter and it didn't hit as hard for me

Yeah to me it was obviously telegraphed that the plane had an eject. Just as telegraphed as the telegraph that Noriko was still alive.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zero One posted:

Just saw it in a Dolby Cinema. Try to find it in a large format screen.

Overall Very good. Agreed with that review above that the human story is compelling. The score was also excellent.

I also saw it in Dolby tonight. I'm also a Red Wings fan.

Top tier Godzilla movie. Got all up in my feelings watching it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I initially thought he didn’t know either and that mechanic had snuck it in there and told him the lever was the safety thing until the flashback showing he actually DID know.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Maybe I'm bad at watching movies or something, I caught the line about ejector seats but I was unsure if the German writing on the seat was something that was possibly just present because of sharing tech between Germany/Japan since the plane was experimental. Either way, it felt like they went out of their way to show that Shikishima's intention was to die what with leaving the money and the "thanks for everything" to the neighbor, which is why I think making the ejector seat thing clear in the scene that they removed it from would've worked for me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I also have to say that the first appearance of Godzilla was absolutely terrifying. And showing Godzilla being blasted near Bikini Atoll was really great and JUUUUUST enough IMO.

gently caress I'm really sure that this is now my 2nd favorite G movie (Original 54 is still number 1 and the 3rd is now Shin). Horror Godzilla keeps being the one that hits me the hardest.

I'm going to see it again for another IMAX showing as a matinee next wednesday and I might go see it at a regular screen that same night with a group of friends (one of my friends gets motion sickness at IMAX).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think I still like Shin more overall just because it feels so different and unique from all the other films, but I think Minus One might be my favorite thematically. It just feels so strong, every character has a purpose, and everything comes together at the end so well.

I’m still in the post-watch bias/high of course, but the only real flaws I can think of are the ejection explanation flashback and the sequel stinger being completely unnecessary, and a couple of times where the cg Godzilla model wasn’t integrated into the shot very well or moved in an “off” manner, but the latter is easy to attribute to budget.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I still like Shin more overall just because it feels so different and unique from all the other films, but I think Minus One might be my favorite thematically. It just feels so strong, every character has a purpose, and everything comes together at the end so well.

I’m still in the post-watch bias/high of course, but the only real flaws I can think of are the ejection explanation flashback and the sequel stinger being completely unnecessary, and a couple of times where the cg Godzilla model wasn’t integrated into the shot very well or moved in an “off” manner, but the latter is easy to attribute to budget.

Yeah I think that this and Shin are two very very different films, and I really like both of them for their specific differences. It really shows in ways that Anno is really the "King of Otaku" with his Shin films- his Godzilla can be seen as a really 'anime' Godzilla. There's a ton of thematic hits that he's done again and again in various series he's written before, and then finally got to do in a tokusatsu instead of an anime. This isn't a bad thing, it's just playing on his strengths and visions, which I love (personally I like Shin Kamen Rider the best of his three Shin movies, even though I like Ultraman and Godzilla better than Kamen Rider in general).

I'm really glad for the return of Toho Godzilla. I enjoy the American films, but it feels right to have Godzilla back home. I'm hoping that it will be less than another 7 years for another Toho G film, but on the other hand if we need 5 or so years between them as long as they have the quality that Shin and Minus One have then I'll be happy.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ahh i'm in guangzhou there's no way i'll be able to find a theater with english subs for this =( =( =(

pray for me goons

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Shockingly sincere movie. Obviously I'm irony-poisoned to a large extent, but I was genuinely taken aback by how sappy this was at times. Not saying that's a bad thing, necessarily, just a completely different emotional register from what I'm used to. Godzilla stuff was cool, the plan to defeat him was an interesting set of new ideas, and I think the period setting worked really well. I've got some...questions...about how the movie reflects Japanese popular memory of WWII, but that's a whole other can of worms that's not really worth discussing at the moment I feel like.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got invited to a screening on Thursday night. Can I get a Hell Yeah?

You can always get a Hell Yeah from me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So imax is the choice over 4dx?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wdarkk posted:

So imax is the choice over 4dx?

I mean if you have a chance to see a 50 meter kaiju on the biggest screen possible I'd say do that.

I'd love to see a showing in 4DX and Dolby Cinema, but they ain't playing around my parts.

edit: if you have a real IMAX theater in your area do it. When it comes to sound, there were a couple times where my apple watch gave me a warning that the decibel levels were too high and could damage my hearing if it went on too long.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 30, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When it comes to sound, there were a couple times where my apple watch gave me a warning that the decibel levels were too high and could damage my hearing if it went on too long.

HELL yes

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

At first I thought the ejector seat and Noriko miraculously surviving were way too sappy, but after thinking about it, I really think that's the whole point of the movie. Koichi is destroyed by guilt and so obsessed with making things "right" that he starts to lose all will to live and convinces himself that he isn't allowed happiness. What he doesn't understand, and what WWII era Japan didn't understand is that wantonly throwing lives away isn't a glorious act.

So when Koichi ejects, he's finally overcoming his guilt. Him finding out that Noriko is alive is him allowing himself to be happy again.

The movie is talking straight to the audience and says, "Yes, this is a sappy ending. Life doesn't have to be gritty and raw, you're allowed to have a happy ending.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Actually losing my mind at how good this movie is.

Edit - literally everyone in my theater cried and clapped at the end

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

hallo spacedog posted:

Edit - literally everyone in my theater cried and clapped at the end

There was a dude at my Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla screening earlier this year who legit loudly talked to his friend throughout the entire movie and it was one of the worst experiences we’ve ever had in a theater.

We went to a different theater to see Minus One specifically in IMAX and like 10 minutes in I realize that the two dudes talking incessantly a row above me are the same two loving neckbeards from the earlier screening. These idiots basically narrated every single thing happening onscreen. ”OH they were DECOYS DUDE”, “oh poo poo he EJECTED what the gently caress” etc. It’s a testament to Minus One’s quality that this time it didn’t really take me out of the movie as badly.

Although it could have been worse; my friend sat next to a giant guy who reeked of piss the whole movie. Godzilla fans in Houston, get your loving poo poo together.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Biff Rockgroin posted:

At first I thought the ejector seat and Noriko miraculously surviving were way too sappy, but after thinking about it, I really think that's the whole point of the movie. Koichi is destroyed by guilt and so obsessed with making things "right" that he starts to lose all will to live and convinces himself that he isn't allowed happiness. What he doesn't understand, and what WWII era Japan didn't understand is that wantonly throwing lives away isn't a glorious act.

So when Koichi ejects, he's finally overcoming his guilt. Him finding out that Noriko is alive is him allowing himself to be happy again.

The movie is talking straight to the audience and says, "Yes, this is a sappy ending. Life doesn't have to be gritty and raw, you're allowed to have a happy ending.

About that at the final scene that you see Noriko, Koichi, and Akiko, you can see a dark mark on Noriko's neck. That mark is a mass of Godzilla cells according to the director. :smith:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

About that at the final scene that you see Noriko, Koichi, and Akiko, you can see a dark mark on Noriko's neck. That mark is a mass of Godzilla cells according to the director. :smith:

:smugjones:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So they're gonna turn into a Weregodzilla on the next full moon?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cinema Discusso > Kaiju Megathread: They called the 38th Godzilla film Godzilla Minus One

or something other than the current title please

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

hell yeah let's go biollante redux

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Seeing it tomorrow night, can't wait. I'll probably be fighting with my brother about Godzilla again, because he likes Shin and i don't like Shin and it's bound to get brought up

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
there are people who don't like shin? what a world

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I fully understand why people wouldn’t like Shin but also those people are wrong

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jesus loving Christ this is a Film. Holy poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zero One posted:

Yeah to me it was obviously telegraphed that the plane had an eject. Just as telegraphed as the telegraph that Noriko was still alive.

Yeah I 100% saw it coming the second the mechanic goes oh one more thing and they it cuts to the other 2 mechanic helpers while you see the conversation continue in the background. I immediately said “oh yeah we have an ejection seat now”

That said (big spoilers) the second heat breath, the first time we truly see it, was such an incredible moment and take on something we’ve seen dozens of times and still have it be this new fresh and honestly terrifying force of destruction. Unlike anything I’ve seen in a very long time

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 1, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The whole minesweeper/Takao fight is fantastic. The movie is so good at giving you flashes of hope for the human protagonists before snatching them away and showcasing the terrifying raw power of this Godzilla.

It’s also one of the scenes where the great sound design really elevates things to another level.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just got back from it. I’m gonna be thinking about it all day tomorrow. There was a moment in the finale where entire theater was absolutely silent. I haven’t experienced a moment like that since the Caesar “No!” moment in that first new Planet of the Apes.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
god hearing those horns in a movie theatre is great

fantastic film

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I wanted to see a Godzilla movie on the big screen with the big speakers and was willing to pay the permium and get annoyed at wearing a mask to do it, and I was not disappointed.

Godzilla being specifically mean to humans in its way made the happy ending feel much more earned. I didnt catch the black goo on the neck but the line "is your war over" still made me think on how the hero is now going to have to help his injured psuedo-wife in her war of recovery, so I don't think I missed too much from the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Got to see -1 in Winnipeg last night. Heard a staff member say that they extended the showings from 2 nights only to a full week! Checked the site and it’s true :swoon: really happy to see Godzilla doing well here. STAY UNITED G-FANS