Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Damning that the best scifi show England can create is sub Stargate level.

A single episode of Lexx would destroy the nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Doctor Who special was explicitly pro-trans rights so even white man David Tennant nostalgia wouldn't have satisfied the chuds

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Alaois posted:

The freaking chuds...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Red Dwarf?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

doctor who once had a rated r spin off full of sex and gore i dont think anyone liked it...

That was Torchwood and it actually acquired a significant fanbase among people absolutely desperate for gay main couple in the early 2000s (so of course it ended with everyone but the main character and female lead dying)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Torchwood should have ended before Miracle Day. (Or not have started at all)

YggiDee posted:

The Doctor Who special was explicitly pro-trans rights so even white man David Tennant nostalgia wouldn't have satisfied the chuds

All I know is that they are seething about a scene where characters express missing the female doctor.
Like 'how dare they' .

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Has Doctor Who gone woke?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
*panting, sweating* doctor whoke

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Lexx actually got shown on Channel 5 back in the late 90's. It was on rather late but still pretty good from what I remember.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pachylad posted:

F D Signifier dropping a vid about interracial (specifically black/white) relationships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-KoABq6ygA

beep by grandpa posted:

Ooh video just for me, never heard of this channel, he's funny ty

Thank you for introducing me to F.D Signifier. I've been going thru his stuff and he fuckin rules. I got kinda sad watching his (incredible) video about NFL Running Backs cause at one point during one of his rants about capitalist welfare for the wealthy I remarked to myself "god drat this boy woke as hell" and briefly and fondly remembered what that term used to mean to black ppl amongst ourselves before conservatives hijacked it to mean they saw a gay person with a speaking role in a movie or whatever

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kim Justice posted:

Lexx actually got shown on Channel 5 back in the late 90's. It was on rather late but still pretty good from what I remember.

It was on SciFi in the USA

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Grassy Knowles posted:

*panting, sweating* doctor whoke

Ooohhh got'em :hellyeah:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Reflections85 posted:

This encouraged me to rewatch the review and I was wrong about one thing: He doesn't like it for the tactical stuff and explicitly says the fight scenes are bad. I was completely wrong there.

Instead, he likes it for having character arcs, interesting world building re: the game system, ideas of multiple heroes, etc., for the found family vibes the main character has with his enslaved kids, and for the main villain being incredibly hateable.

But I don't think it was a negative review. He frames it as a debate between those who think it's the worst isekai and those who think it's the best and ends by saying it's average.

Maybe I'm missing context and he was definitely operating at some level of irony (e.g. the joke about how having no incest as an unexpected positive), but I don't think I'm coming to it from the worst possible faith. If a reviewer spends a good amount of time praising aspects of a work and ends by calling it average and enjoyable, like I don't think it's wrong to view that as a positive review.

The only thing I know about shield hero is that basically every fan of it is really loving weird because they constantly say how awesome it is a woman gets her name forcibly changed to "bitch" after getting defeated in the court of facts and logic for falsely accusing the main character of rape. Apparently the anime was a lot more toned down than the original where some real hosed up poo poo happens. There are a lot of anime out there that center around found family, and a million isekai that have game system themes and lovely world building in place of actual writing. So if someone specifically chooses to endorse the weird child slavery show they're probably into it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh hell yes, Marco listened to my request, The Last Duel from Lufia 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QtOTfJvhY8&hd=1&t=679s

it's uncanny how good he is at picking up on what's going on based entirely on the music. He had never heard of Lufia 2 before this, but picked up on the "back against the wall, the hero's determination and galvanization, it's now or never" sense of it, which is exactly how the theme plays out in the game. like, this is the scene that happens right before this track kicks in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJkTiMJ-NY&hd=1&t=76771s

airship crashed on their floating continent, no way to escape, it's truly a desperately heroic finale theme. now, unfortunately, the music gets cut off whenever a battle happens, but that is sadly a significant problem with a lot of JRPGs with random battles.

also it's really fascinating seeing him trying to find a throughline with three very, very different games's themes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1730022623160254667

:smith:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Youtube is cool

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think I saw exactly one episode of Dr. Who out of curiosity and it was one where the shaved head Doctor is in the future and there's some bullshit with Earth getting swallowed by the sun and the last human is just a face and some skin stretched out on a rack, and I got so bored/creeped out that I just started watching Regular Show instead

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Whirling posted:

I think I saw exactly one episode of Dr. Who out of curiosity and it was one where the shaved head Doctor is in the future and there's some bullshit with Earth getting swallowed by the sun and the last human is just a face and some skin stretched out on a rack, and I got so bored/creeped out that I just started watching Regular Show instead

That's like the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) episode of the reboot. I haven't watched Doctor Who since like 2011 but it's a case study of a show of incredible peaks and valleys

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's like episode 2 or 3 of the revival. 's alright. Not the season's strongest but at least there aren't 90 minutes of fart and fat jokes.

What you want is The Empty Child.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Whirling posted:

Yeah I've always preferred the classic series because it has a certain charm. That charm mostly involves watching very good, classically trained actors shout at monsters played by dudes encased in trash cans without any level of irony whatsoever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

YouTube is rife with/protects a ton of animal cruelty videos and what I can only assume are videos for gambling, etc involving animal fights set up under the flimsiest of “education” guidelines. It’s really hosed up

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

beep by grandpa posted:

That's like the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) episode of the reboot. I haven't watched Doctor Who since like 2011 but it's a case study of a show of incredible peaks and valleys

my grandpa taped all of it because dude will just watch anything sci-fi (I swear that guy has seen every sci-fi tv series of note), so maybe it was a bad idea by the younger me to start with that, but oof.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Happy Landfill posted:

Violet_Sky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hTMKDSoYG0

Ashley Norton ranks the Mary Kate and Ashley movies.
As someone who watched a not-insignificant amount of Olson Twin stuff when I was younger this is right up my alley. I've always kind of wondered what going back and watching some of that stuff again as an adult would be like (they are most definitely not as good as when you were a kid)

I thought the only Olsen Twin movie I'd seen was that one on the ranch where they solve mysteries, but then that one where they have to rescue an old woman who is a witch from a mirror she was sealed into by her sister came on and I realized that was another one that must've been on the Disney Channel rotation or something.

Also jeez these are way more racist than I was expecting.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ok Comboomer posted:

YouTube is rife with/protects a ton of animal cruelty videos and what I can only assume are videos for gambling, etc involving animal fights set up under the flimsiest of “education” guidelines. It’s really hosed up

Some of it's purely evil rear end in a top hat shock too, not that long ago I happened on a short that I forget what the content was even pretending to be at first, but cut to Ronnie Mcnutt blowing his head off again and just jesus christ.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah I've always preferred the classic series because it has a certain charm. That charm mostly involves watching very good, classically trained actors shout at monsters played by dudes encased in trash cans without any level of irony whatsoever.
a collection of dr who charm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJN9c2lxmYk

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I stopped watching Doctor Who well over a decade ago. I just hated his attitude: 'Look son, this alien slug may have eaten your dad's insides and is wearing his skin right now, but who are we to judge? Executing monsters is wrong.' Just a preachy git with a fancy wand and a saviour complex.

I then moved on to other, better science-fiction. LOGH may be a bit too soft on the neo-monarchy at its centre, but I appreciated how even the most idealistic of its characters still got their hands bloody. The ending was refreshing in that the youngest hero executes a defenceless but guilty conspirator after a gunfight with his forces, and none of the hero's allies give him any smack about how 'revenge is wrong' or some other nonsense.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

All those videos and bugfights is some real freak poo poo. I honestly can't believe any of that is allowed on the platform. There is no value in allowing it; it is pure cruelty.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I stopped watching Doctor Who well over a decade ago. I just hated his attitude: 'Look son, this alien slug may have eaten your dad's insides and is wearing his skin right now, but who are we to judge? Executing monsters is wrong.' Just a preachy git with a fancy wand and a saviour complex.

Yeah the classic series had way less of that kind of bullshit.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

i liked the one with a scarf

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Was the shift a Blairite thing of the times? Come to think of it, that's the exact same reason I hated Harry Potter.

Now, Picard I'd follow any day of the week if he always has a killer speech on hand.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every doctor who episode ends with the doctor explaining how clever he is and beating the monster of the week with a deus ex machina and nerds eat the poo poo up

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

genuine lol at "I AM THE COMPUTER" [credits]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Was the shift a Blairite thing of the times? Come to think of it, that's the exact same reason I hated Harry Potter.

Now, Picard I'd follow any day of the week if he always has a killer speech on hand.

Nah it's a new series thing. Old Doctor Who had the Doctor sending entire space fleets flying into the sun or stranding monsters in a star system about to explode. All with an effects budget just sizeable enough to pay for a Happy Meal.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The bigger youtube problem with animals is that a whole lot of videos of "Animal rescues" are very blatantly staged, with animals that were already hurt or are being put in danger to then be "saved", plus a bunch of those come from a handful of SEA countries where there's really just no animal welfare laws to stop them.

"Look at this dog incidentally next to a venomous snake! But we'll save them!"

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

One of the most famous moments of the classic series was the doctor deciding he couldn't kill Space Hitler before he made his Space Nazis. Whereas you have Tennant murdering things regularly. The doctors personal boundaries have always varied wildly between different iterations, both in the new and old series.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
new dr who seems like it sucks but old dr who seems like its bad rear end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone should introduce Mother's Basement to Homestuck. It has everything you could want! Game mechanics, incredibly complicated worldbuilding, incest, time travel, Con Air, casual reminders of how people just used to toss the r-slur out back in the late 2000's, and an author thay talks in an even wordier fashion thsn the Architect from The Matrix.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

New Ordinary Things: How to Coup ANY Country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeurjIY3__o

It's a fun video that manages to sneak in a LOT of interesting history behind a ridiculous gimmick.

Collabs with Ordinary Things and Sumito are of the major reasons I still give Internet Historian the benefit of the doubt that IH is at the very least aware that being an awful chud is something to keep out of his videos if he wants to keep building a larger audience.

Also, (unrelatedly) the new Jack Saint is a fun ramble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5jEny6FhkU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RareAcumen posted:

Someone should introduce Mother's Basement to Homestuck. It has everything you could want! Game mechanics, incredibly complicated worldbuilding, incest, time travel, Con Air, casual reminders of how people just used to toss the r-slur out back in the late 2000's, and an author thay talks in an even wordier fashion thsn the Architect from The Matrix.

That's just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Homestuck isn't hosted on Cruncyroll yet is it? No way Mother's Basement would cover it.