Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

skybolt_1 posted:

If you are looking at an under-counter unit, I have had great luck with the iSpring systems, this specific model in particular: https://www.123filter.com/ac/ro-good-taste-alkaline-mineral-bottle-water

If you are looking at whole house, this is generally going to be a pro install scenario.

Yep, under counter is what I’m looking for, should have been clearer. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Troubleshooting an old, pre-wired Christmas tree is all the minor electrical work I want to do for a while. So many bulbs replaced.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Artificial tree chat related, does anyone make trees with individual limbs that detach anymore? My tree is a 30-year-old that is about at the end of its life, and I want to replace it with a non-lit, detachable branch type.

"Non-lit" eliminates more than half of my options to start, and I want the detachable branches because Iight each level as I build it, which would be a lot more difficult with the hinged style permanently attached that are the default these days.

I think this is supposed to be "hook on" type but that filter at many stores doesn't actually mean "branches come off" for some reason

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 27, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Verman posted:

That's the kind of thing you think "okay, I'm going to replace this outlet cover. 20¢ and a minute of my time." Then you uncover this cluster gently caress.

"Well poo poo. Okay. I'll spend $3 and 5 minutes of my time to replace this".

Secretly the foam has snuck in between the drywall and the outlet and is planning to tear the drywall with it when you pull it out, adding drywall repair, outlet replacement and paint to your 5 minute project.

Because this is just how house projects go.

Somehow the fates smiled upon me and this was actually one of the easier outlets to swap out! :toot:

But that's the last of the "easy painting" spots in the kitchen, time to skim coat until I hate myself...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How does the thread feel about generators and portable power stations?

I have some EGO batteries that I use with some of their tools (their blower and their chainsaw kick rear end), and I was looking at this thing:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-NEXUS-POWER-STATION-KIT-2X7-5AH/1003130756

A small gas generator might be cheaper, but obviously you can't run that indoors so you'd need an extension cord going outside. OTOH this power station isn't going last more than a day. Ace Hardware has the same unit without the batteries for $600, there's some appeal to having something that can run a lamp and maybe the fridge for awhile if the power goes out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It depends on your usage. Battery generators are great if you just need a bit of portable power for a short term. But if you're getting one for any sort of emergency usage, I'd recommend gas all the way. If your power goes out, the batteries are good until they die. Gas you just keep refilling. Most generator uses you'll be using an extension cord anyway.

I'd suggest a good gas generator probably but that's based on my needs and uses.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Yeah, the run time, watts required, and seriousness/length of emergency due to weather are big factors.

In my use case (Wisconsin), battery ones are good for things like camping and backups for the real backup - a dual fuel generator that can use gas or propane. I keep a couple of tracks of propane around just in case, and usually have 5-10 gallons of fresh gas that odds being cycled in snow blower or other lawn equipment.

Right now I have a few big extension cords that run in the house, but next year I plan to put in a transfer switch kit with an outdoor plug. That way I have certain breakers also running into a dedicated separate box that can be flipped on to pull electricity from the outdoor plug/generator.

I'm tempted by the whole home generator setups, but not sure I'm willing to invest in the cost for that level of luxury. But again, depending on where I lived that might be less of a luxury and more of an essential.

Either way, the thought of relying on just a battery generator is laughable in my region.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Nothing like waking up to cold air coming out of the HVAC vents because the furnace isn't running when it's 11 degrees out. :negative:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m really interested in a home battery that can power a 240v well pump. It’s pretty rare to get power outages in my area so maintaining a gas generator and paying for the interlock seems crazy to me.

I think Anker makes a model with a 240v outlet. I’d only have to wire in a switch on the romex leading to the pump.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

How does the thread feel about generators and portable power stations?

I have some EGO batteries that I use with some of their tools (their blower and their chainsaw kick rear end), and I was looking at this thing:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-NEXUS-POWER-STATION-KIT-2X7-5AH/1003130756

A small gas generator might be cheaper, but obviously you can't run that indoors so you'd need an extension cord going outside. OTOH this power station isn't going last more than a day. Ace Hardware has the same unit without the batteries for $600, there's some appeal to having something that can run a lamp and maybe the fridge for awhile if the power goes out.

That's neat! I love the idea of double duty on lawn tool batteries.

I'd say it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. A small gas powered generator is going to be a hassle to maintain, gas degrades and goes bad unless it's stabilized, it's a hazard to store, pain to obtain, and you're going to have to pick and choose what you want to power with it anyways (eg fridge, etc).

I would say we're closing the gap on the early adopter curve for solar & battery backups vs gas generators. I can live entirely off grid with a single 140W solar panel, but that basically powers a cooler 12v fridge/freezer, 12v lights, charging mobile devices, and a fan or two running throughout the night. The key to running off batteries alone are DC powered appliances as there's an efficiency loss converting to AC, and you're going to have to rethink what you really need, especially in an emergency. But same is true for gas unless you have a whole home generator.

Plus you've got battery type to consider. I'd recommend going with LiFePO4, Lithium Iron Phosphate, as the chemistry supports substantially longer lifetime recharge cycles (roughly 10,000 vs 3,000 for Lithium Ion), and is much safer and less prone to combustion. Also works in a wider temp range, though charging under freezing temps can damage it. We're also on the cusp of some real big battery transitions with silicone Lithium and solid state batteries and wider adoption of EVs which could be plumbed into your electrical panel as a battery backup.

It is going to take some thinking about what you need and what sort of setup you can accommodate, but something like this might be a good all in one starting point: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099Z2RDS5

It should run your fridge for a day if you're smart about when you open the doors/etc. Paired with 3-4 cheap 100w solar panels with good south facing exposure, you can probably stretch that into perpetuity. Rinse/repeat/expand batteries and panels according to your needs. You can get real deep real fast, and diy a whole setup with solar charge controller, inverter, electrical panel disconnect, it just really depends on what you need and there's tons of great resources out there. I think the above linked unit *might* be able to run a window ac, but probably not for more than a few hours as the startup energy requirements for the condenser are very limiting.

For the price of a whole home generac, you're about halfway to a whole home solar panel install (sans batteries), and the latter would pay back dividends every day.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
What's people's opinion on generator break in periods? I bought a HF Predator 8750 Inverter Generator and the manual says to run it under 75% load for 25 hours to break it in.

That sounds crazy long. I've run it for 8 hours so far and I'm debating calling it good enough at 16 because of the noise.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

What's people's opinion on generator break in periods? I bought a HF Predator 8750 Inverter Generator and the manual says to run it under 75% load for 25 hours to break it in.

That sounds crazy long. I've run it for 8 hours so far and I'm debating calling it good enough at 16 because of the noise.

The most impactful thing you can do for longevity is to change the oil now. That's it. You'll get most/all of the manufacturing debris and break in wear debris out.

And most don't even get that and are fine.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Beef Of Ages posted:

Nothing like waking up to cold air coming out of the HVAC vents because the furnace isn't running when it's 11 degrees out. :negative:

:pressf:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a tree fall in the forested area behind my house. Shook the house, but no real harm. However, it fell right as I was flushing the toilet. I thought I had dislodged some antimatter poo poo and broke all the sewer lines in the wall.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dropping' a log.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Guy Axlerod posted:

I thought I had dislodged some antimatter poo poo and broke all the sewer lines in the wall.

Nibbler? That you?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shifty Pony posted:

Dropping' a log.

:boom:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’m dealing with some water issues in our basement that I thought might be related to some issues with our mortar. Had two mortar/brick companies come out:

1. Said it was in decent shape and that our water issues were due to grading, and to have some landscaping company come out.
2. Said most of it was grading, but also some was due to our window mortar breaking down. Want to do outdoor regrading, mortar repair, and repair of the inside water damage (ie some plaster/painting) for 3500-4000. They want a $375 deposit for a “formal” estimate though. Guy sounded like he’d take care of everything.

We live in denver and it’s going to be winter. Does #2 sound reasonable? Are they just going to keep raising the price after we pay $400?

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Google Nest started sending us emails letting us know that the upstairs HVAC unit has started to malfunction in small, but increasingly frequent intervals of time. Got a guy out to look. $8,000 to replace the unit...right when we're buying a new car for my wife and also replacing the brakes on mine. :negative:

It's like houses know when is the worst time to gently caress up, somehow. Do houses know this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Scream posted:

Google Nest started sending us emails letting us know that the upstairs HVAC unit has started to malfunction in small, but increasingly frequent intervals of time. Got a guy out to look. $8,000 to replace the unit...right when we're buying a new car for my wife and also replacing the brakes on mine. :negative:

It's like houses know when is the worst time to gently caress up, somehow. Do houses know this?

There is a 95% chance you are getting sold a bill of goods. Ask them exactly what is wrong and how much it costs to fix. Then ask two other companies that repair residential HVAC systems in your area.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Motronic posted:

There is a 95% chance you are getting sold a bill of goods. Ask them exactly what is wrong and how much it costs to fix. Then ask two other companies that repair residential HVAC systems in your area.

The unit's 18 years old. The guy replaced the flame sensor because he thought that would fix the problem, but it didn't work. He thinks the heat exchanger is failing. So that's the info I've got right now (wife talked to him, not me).

So, I'm not surprised it's come to this, just wish it had held on another year or so :sigh: I will say we've worked with this company before and they've always been good dudes, but it never hurts to get a second or third opinion. Will do.

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 29, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Scream posted:

He thinks the heat exchanger is failing.

Bad tech, or someone trying to sell a unit. Any time you are told a heat exchanger is failing the next statement needs to be "show me." There needs to be a reason why and a method of diagnosis that indicates how or where and it's going to be visible.

What did your "smart thermostat" tell you? Because I'm really curious what symptom a "heat exchanger going bad" is going to be detectable by a thermostat.

E: also, its a super bad sign when they're shotgunning a flame sensor because that's a part you can literally test with an ohm meter.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 29, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah, unless major components of the unit have failed like blower motor, condensors etc, and in catastrophic ways (corrosion, dead motors etc), furnaces are pretty simple machines with not a ton of moving parts. Most of the things to keep my furnace going have been ignitor ($10-30), flame sensor ($10-30), pressure switch ($70-140), and control board ($70-150). The thought of scrapping an entire furnace for a few hundred bucks worth of parts seems incredibly wasteful and expensive.

See if you can find your furnaces user manual. My furnace has diagnostic lights/codes that tell me what exactly is happening and whats malfunctioning. Youtube showed me how to diagnose a bad pressure switch.

Honestly if an HVAC repairman comes to your home and you tell him "yeah my smart thermostat is telling me the furnace is acting up" ... unless you get an incredibly honest and trustworthy person, they're likely going to see you as an easy target for an upsell. Ask details about which parts specifically need replacing and why. My step brother is/was an HVAC installer for several years and owned his own company. Most of the cost in furnace installs is the labor of installation and removal. Parts to keep a furnace functioning (aside from the major components) are almost always cheaper to keep it running than replacement.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

It was SA that pulled the curtains open for me regarding smart devices trying to tell you to replace/swap/upgrade/literally anything - they just want you to buy more of their poo poo. Turn it all off!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i love my nest thermostat but if it told me the sky was blue i'd get 3 competing quotes

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

See, lack of "something is hosed" is part of why I ditched my Nest. I was on vacation and my housesitters noticed it was getting warm so they just cranked the thermostat down without thinking anything of it. The compressor was making GBS threads the bed, but it was still making just barely enough cold air to do some cooling.

The system ran for 24 hours nonstop and Nest decided yeah, that's totally normal, not gonna pop an alert, when I could've called the company that installed it a few days earlier had it notified me at all and gotten back to a working system sooner.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The system ran for 24 hours nonstop and Nest decided yeah, that's totally normal, not gonna pop an alert, when I could've called the company that installed it a few days earlier had it notified me at all and gotten back to a working system sooner.

I mean, that's like the easiest, most basic alert for a system ever. They know the outside temperature based on your install location. They know the inside temperature. They know how long it's been calling for cooling. If you don't satisfy in less than an hour it's a problem, period. You don't even need all the historic data they definitely have.

I knew some of the original nest people before it got bought by google. They don't work there anymore by their own choice.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ecobee will fire an alert if it's been calling for heating or cooling for a while and temps are still going the wrong way

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah I got an alert from my Ecobee right quick when the AC didn't kick on one afternoon (because the power was out and Gary had bought an undersized standby generator that couldn't run the AC compressor).

The alert was a simple "there may be a problem, here's a graph showing why the alert triggered, probably should check on that" type deal though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Big fan of my Ecobee. I retuned the Nest I bought first after 2 days, it was garbage at being an actual thermostat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I switched to Ecobee. It should be loving trivial to code in some logic that says "if calling for heat/cool and the temperature keeps going the wrong direction for another hour, notify the user".

Ecobee did at least catch it faster the next time the system poo poo the bed but I was home for that one and noticed before the first hour was up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

According to the marketing an ecobee has a radar sensor? No thanks I don't think that I can afford to let my dick and balls get any smaller

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Going directly from, "possibly failed sensor" to "cracked heat exchanger" is some real big-brained crap, especially if they don't show you.

You usually can actually be shown the crack on your exchanger, but the simplest way is to slide a CO probe in a duct or the plenum & see if it sounds. A cracked heat exchanger will kill everyone in their sleep, once the crack gets big enough. You don't gently caress around & claim it for $$. Get more opinions.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Ecobee will fire an alert if it's been calling for heating or cooling for a while and temps are still going the wrong way

My ecobee was very mad when it was like -20 here last winter and the heat pump and auxiliary toaster couldn't keep up.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My ecobee will pop an alert because the air quality gets real bad because of the gas stove across the house has been on simmering a chili. Love that it can tell me I’m dying.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nest blows for many reasons, including giving me notices every few months for "hey save money by enabling eco mode 🌠 [Enable] [Not Now]". I don't need occasional offers from my thermostat, especially when I turn them down every few months.

I can't wait to replace the two of mine with something else

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Partner at new house: “I really want to pull all the old coax and phone line out of all these rooms!”

*monkey’s paw curls*

We found a bunch of live knob and tube today! At least we haven’t moved anything in yet and they were already going to be messing with some walls so this is going to be the “easiest” time to ever deal with this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My wife is constantly mad that putting the ecobee in heat/cool mode won’t keep the house at a fixed temperature and now I just want to go back to a dial

Which does the same thing but like, you don’t see it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Every relationship has exactly one person who knows how to stack a dishwasher, and one person who thinks the house will get cooler faster if you put the thermostat on 55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
At atmospheric river that hit Seattle has given me a new issue. My roof is leaking at my chimney. So that's fun.