Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

It's not a dad joke, it's just an old joke told badly. The whole point of that joke is, the set-up sounds like you're talking about directions to the location of Carnegie Hall, the twist is: no, I was talking about performing there! Ha-ho! But in this case, the lady was talking about performing in the first place. So what's the joke?? :argh:

That fucken squirrel or whatever it is understands my rage.

quote:

Mary Worth

"...You said the n-word so many times!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

THE loving CAR TALKS?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Julet Esqu posted:

We've all at one time or another had the unpleasant experience of discovering we are a Plugger. Today I have discovered I am a Lockhorn and so far it ain't too bad.

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1495518266214600709

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

In any other scenario, this would just be two people who haven't seen each other in decades reconnecting by bonding over the things they liked. But this is explicitly Keith inviting his ex-girlfriend to an activity that he suggested so he can try winning her over and have an 'in' with his kid who doesn't want anything to do with him. So all the compliments to Kitty and reminiscing over how much fun they had, how great they were together, feels a bit... manipulative.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I looked something up:

Now, this site sells skydiving packages, so they don't want you to know the horrible truth that the death rate doubled the next year... to twenty. So it's not like it's the safest thing you can do, but, like, do it if you want to. You'll probably be fine.

Stop hemming and hawing about whether you want to skydive and just do it, you wuss! Luann keeps finding ways to waste everyone's time.

emSparkly posted:

THE loving CAR TALKS?

It's apparently just a smart AI (because of course it is) acting as the GPS. Ignore the fact that it's asking things it's not programmed to do, or the weird coincidence that it's named after Rudy's half-brother who got shuffled away from the strip ages ago.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

God drat it, now I have to create a new account!

emSparkly posted:

THE loving CAR TALKS?

It's going to be eaten by a truck.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

And that's it for Blind Alley year 2. The strip is currently on hiatus until spring but in the meantime Adam has a new short comic called Brambles running on Patreon which is pretty cute imo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Caption It!
"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wow, Legend of Bill shows a lot of promise for a webcomic from 2002.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Now this one is a winner! :haw:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 27, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the [url=https://www.patreon.com/raethedoe]author's Patreon[/url

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

CommonShore posted:

FWIW I knew someone who died in a skydiving accident

at least they died doing what they loved?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Either Boyce had a key stroke, or I did

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

emSparkly posted:

THE loving CAR TALKS?
iirc the car is sentient and basically a brain-clone of Rudy because... something to do with the GPS/onboard computer copying the data on his phone?... It's loving stupid is what it is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Darthemed posted:

Wow, Legend of Bill shows a lot of promise for a webcomic from 2002.
no it doesn't

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

LvK posted:

Exploding violently?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

or the weird coincidence that it's named after Rudy's half-brother who got shuffled away from the strip ages ago.
I think it's named after Vehicle Identification Number.

LvK posted:

I don't think many people love slamming into the ground at terminal velocity.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

iirc the car is sentient and basically a brain-clone of Rudy because... something to do with the GPS/onboard computer copying the data on his phone?... It's loving stupid is what it is.

I didn't know about the car being a brain-clone of Rudy because it copied his phone data. I've no clue why the hell Holbrook keep portraying technology being super invasive into someone's privacy as a good thing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
everything has to talk in holbrook land. animals talk, trees talk, houses talk, computers talk, the individual programs on those computers talk to each other. mars, the planet, the pile of rock in space, talks and has an identity. you could make a bigger deal out of it like you could with the constant rolling marriages and pregnancies, though i'm inclined to err on the side of that's just how soap operas work. not sure how to explain "everything talks" in a convenient narrative way though

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
I'm just realising with this latest batch that in real time, it's been an entire year of baby jokes in K&K- was it in the thread by that time?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

:haw:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 10, 1960)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mister Olympus posted:

everything has to talk in holbrook land. animals talk, trees talk, houses talk, computers talk, the individual programs on those computers talk to each other. mars, the planet, the pile of rock in space, talks and has an identity. you could make a bigger deal out of it like you could with the constant rolling marriages and pregnancies, though i'm inclined to err on the side of that's just how soap operas work. not sure how to explain "everything talks" in a convenient narrative way though
BILL HOLBROOK has become SHINTO

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I've no clue why the hell Holbrook keep portraying technology being super invasive into someone's privacy as a good thing.
Holbrook is a massive tech bro simp.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/29/03

Brenda Starr 3/3-5/52

Smokey Stover 4/20/58

Everyday Movies 1/5/37

"Let's take it home, Jimmy, and then tomorrow we can throw it out and it'll look like we had a Christmas tree."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/31 - 9/2/42

If this guy is smoking around the jugs of gasoline, I'm not sure Scarlet has to do anything to stop him -- just let nature take its course.

Closer Than We Think! 4/20/58

Park right in your hotel room? Why not!

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 30, 2023

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

:byodood: just walk into the store and ask for a job!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Hat posted:

i was just about to scream this at my monitor, thank you.

also, IF YOU DO EXTRA WITHOUT ASKING/WORK WITHOUT PAY, THEY WILL REWARD YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE A GREAT WORKER.

reminds me of an ex-friend who 'worked' at her friend's new game store. Now she had left her normal job some time back and was "working" for him. Including all the setup, painting the walls, retiling the floor, stocking, running the cash register. She wasn't paid in money but did get a few games once in a while. And she insisted this was super special and important because she wanted the store to succeed! And her dad was super mean for wanting her to get a soulless cashier job again! And she would rather be "working" 10 hour days at this game store instead of being at home or being forced to get a real job.

edit: Val, Aleta, damnit, stop being stupid! You two are acting like Diana and the Phantom.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 30, 2023

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Big fan of the exterior spiral ramps without any kind of traffic barrier.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hostile V posted:

I Got So Distracted By Kissinger Dying I Almost Forgot To Post Whatever The gently caress Is Happening In Hellworld

When did you start doing this? We have to be crossing over into you posting strips that were new while you were posting the backlog.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

Green Intern posted:

Big fan of the exterior spiral ramps without any kind of traffic barrier.

Contemplating the first schmuck who tries a three-point turn on one of those.

Mutts

Santa's Victory Christmas, in which the Old Man's cover is blown. (November 30, 1942)

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 25, 1935)

Peanuts (December 2, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mindy has the right idea coming out in white in a snowstorm. Perfect camouflage for when she finally makes a break for it.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (March 25-27, 1935)

Thimble Theater (July 4, 1940)

Olive & Popeye (and no, the Olive half never showed up this week)

Out Our Way (June 10-12, 1943)

He may be the world's greatest uncle, but as a brother he's pretty much standard issue.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 30, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You can really see Mindy begin to doubt her life choices in panel three: "I have to stand in the cold with these schlubby losers as we buy this greasy pizza dive...how the hell did it come to this?"

e: Misread character's name as Holly.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 30, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alterian posted:

When did you start doing this? We have to be crossing over into you posting strips that were new while you were posting the backlog.

Mikl started it in July 2020
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908728&userid=157780&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post506614682

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

So the July 19 2020 strip would be the loop around date.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mercury Hat posted:

I don't really enjoy defending For Better or for Worse but I have the urge to keep the hate readers honest now and again -

There has been an ongoing story for months about her having been laid off and her inability to get another job, more or less precisely about how "just walk into a store and ask for a job!" doesn't work, at least not for a middle-aged woman, and this is more about her noticing and jumping on a coincidental opportunity when she sees it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

The fun thing about this one is that it doesn't really require any new technology. Apart from the size of the TV screen, it would have been entirely possible to build this in 1958.

e: Okay, and I guess the robot parking attendants too.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

AP did a writeup today on McDonnell's decision to let Guard Dog free with this storyline: https://apnews.com/article/mutts-guard-dog-free-comics-d831d5fe301ca92bb4e0e45631dda8b0

Some choice quotes:

quote:

Patrick McDonnell, the cartoonist who draws the popular strip, is freeing his character Guard Dog, liberating an animal who has become for decades a symbol of the cruelty of dog chaining.

“I think it just hit me that I can’t do it forever and that it has to happen,” McDonnell told The Associated Press ahead of the publication of Thursday’s panel showing Earl’s owner kneeling beside the dog and announcing: “We have to remove this chain.” On Friday’s strip, it will be gone.

“I had a vague idea what the story was going to be, but I finally took some time and said, ‘Well, what is that story?’ And I was happy with what I came up with. So I said, ‘Now’s the time to do it.’”

quote:

Guard Dog was added about a year after launch as McDonnell explored the idea of having an antagonist for his heroes.

“I started in my sketchbooks drawing a tough dog,” he says. “I drew a big gruff dog and I put a studded collar on him. And then I drew a chain. And when I did that, it changed everything. I realized that it wasn’t a villain. It was a tragic character.”

For years, Guard Dog sat in the unmowed grass of a neighborhood lawn or howled at the moon, alone and philosophical. In one strip he holds a piece of paper that reads “Guard Dog’s To Do List” with only one item: “Remind people of man’s inhumanities.”

quote:

Fans of Guard Dog would regularly plead with McDonnell to free the mutt but the artist was also lobbied by animal welfare groups to keep the dog chained as a way to increase the spotlight on the issue.

“I always felt like, ’Geez, if I inspired even one family to bring the dog in the house, that it was worth doing. I know it was tough on the readers and it was tough on Guard Dog,” he said.

“You know, whenever I drew him in my sketchbooks or if I did a talk, I always drew Guard Dog free. So part of me felt like he was an actor playing a part.”

I've always been a fan of Mutts, it's rarely actually funny but it's always (usually) cute and good for a soft smile, which is all I can ask. McConnell seems like a great, thoughtful, guy. I respect him for stuff like the "tragic figure" quote, it shows that he actually cares and puts thought into his silly little kitten comics, and that's why this storyline is hitting the notes he wants it to. Compare it to other gag strips taking serious stances and it's a work of art. McConnell has his passion projects, he stays in his lane, and that makes everything feel sincere and not Batiuk-style clout-chasing.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

DRAW THE DOGS, BILLINGSLEY