Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Generally speaking, you reserve the right to recall witnesses to re-examine them on relevant evidence that comes to light.
See putting "Perjuring Dave" as your last witness is not a rock solid tactic.

If I had to guess it's because Trump has told his lawyers he is testifying and to make him go last as he will change everyone's mind when he reads out his piece of paper about how he didn't do no crimes.

"Listen, I have no control over what other people do, I just say how much I would enjoy if something happens and it happens. Are you really going to throw me in jail because I just think out loud and other people do what I say without me asking? They're the real crooks, I hardly even know them. You should throw them in jail, I'm America's favorite president. I don't even need to be here, you know. My lawyers could have handled all of this for me. I could have been out on the campaign trail telling people about how crooked the democrats are. They're the real criminals here, they're the ones that should be locked up, along with all those corrupt judges and clerks. You better believe when I'm elected president again, there's going to be some big changes to the court system."

"... Mr Trump, you were asked to state your name for the record,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sir, this is an Engeron's indict-thru

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Question IRL posted:

Generally speaking, you reserve the right to recall witnesses to re-examine them on relevant evidence that comes to light.

If I had to guess it's because Trump has told his lawyers he is testifying and to make him go last as he will change everyone's mind when he reads out his piece of paper about how he didn't do no crimes.

He's gonna "change his mind" at the last minute and not testify, and then go outside and do a courtroom steps speech to the reporters who all showed up because he was supposed to testify

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump plans First Amendment defense to Fulton criminal charges

quote:

Donald Trump will defend himself against charges that he illegally sought to overturn the 2020 election in Georgia by arguing his claims about voting fraud were “core political speech” protected by the First Amendment.

In a filing on Monday in Fulton County Superior Court, Trump attorney Steven Sadow said the former president will challenge his indictment on racketeering, conspiracy and other charges by asserting his right to political speech and expressive conduct.

Trump relied on numerous false claims of voting fraud as he tried unsuccessfully three years ago to convince the Georgia General Assembly and Vice President Mike Pence to overturn Democrat Joe Biden’s narrow victory.

The former president was one of 19 people charged in what prosecutors describe as a “criminal enterprise” that sought to overturn the election. Four people already have pleaded guilty to various crimes for their roles in the alleged conspiracy.

Trump pleaded not guilty to all counts in August.

Judge Scott McAfee has already dismissed First Amendment challenges from two other defendants – attorneys Kenneth Chesebro and Sidney Powell (both of whom later pleaded guilty). The judge cited numerous court cases in ruling that he must first establish a factual record before considering such challenges. McAfee said those facts must be established at trial.

In Monday’s court filing, Sadow argued the judge can consider a pre-trial First Amendment challenge if the facts laid out in the indictment are not disputed by the defendants. To pursue such a defense, Trump presumably would have to acknowledge his voting fraud claims were false.

“Here, the indictment’s recitation of supposedly ‘false’ statements and facts, undisputed solely for purposes of a First Amendment-based general demurrer/motion to dismiss, show that the prosecution of President Trump is premised on content-based core political speech and expressive conduct protected by the First Amendment,” Sadow argued.

Sadow said that in a free society, the remedy for false speech “is speech that is true … not a state (racketeering) prosecution against the former president of the United States.”

Trump is relying on a similar First Amendment defense in a separate election subversion case in federal court.

Seems like a winner to me.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
*casually pulling a case-winning crumpled piece of notebook paper out of my pocket on the last day of my trial*

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

That sounds equivalent to a mob boss going "look, all I said was that I didn't want to see Paulie no more, I'm allowed to say that under the First Amendment!"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"Will no one rid me of these troublesome millions of people who voted against me?"

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe it's somewhere in between? Trump told the lawyers he's testifying, so they scheduled him last to try and talk him out of it/he loses interest in doing it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Georgia prosecutors oppose plea deals for Trump, Meadows and Giuliani

quote:

Fulton county prosecutors do not intend to offer plea deals to Donald Trump and at least two high-level co-defendants charged in connection with their efforts to overturn the 2020 election in Georgia, according to two people familiar with the matter, preferring instead to force them to trial.

The individuals seen as ineligible include Trump, his former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, and Trump’s former lawyer Rudy Giuliani.

Aside from those three, the Fulton county district attorney Fani Willis has opened plea talks or has left open the possibility of talks with the remaining co-defendants in the hope that they ultimately decide to become cooperating witnesses against the former president, the people said.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Didn't Meadows already plea on the same charges at the Federal level? Seems bad for him if his Federal-level confession is just going to be evidence in his state-level trial

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

InsertPotPun posted:

*casually pulling a case-winning crumpled piece of notebook paper out of my pocket on the last day of my trial*

"I can do what I want."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

Didn't Meadows already plea on the same charges at the Federal level? Seems bad for him if his Federal-level confession is just going to be evidence in his state-level trial

It might be part of his bargain in the federal case that anything he says can't be used against him in the state case. Alternatively he read that headline and turned his trousers into a war zone.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tesseraction posted:

It might be part of his bargain in the federal case that anything he says can't be used against him in the state case. Alternatively he read that headline and turned his trousers into a war zone.

Is that an actual thing the feds can guarantee? Do they have much influence on state prosecutions besides asking nicely?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A federal plea deal won't have any impact on the applicability of evidence revealed in it to a state proceeding unless the state also signed on or he signed on to a separate agreement with the state to that effect. A federal prosecutor can't bind a state one like that.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
hey i was told that the disolving of trump's company was inevitable and could not be stopped even during appeal and...that was wrong. so...were you guys wrong or did the rules shift?

cause i was punished for saying such "nonsense" as "trump will just put punishments on hold forever" so...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

InsertPotPun posted:

hey i was told that the disolving of trump's company was inevitable and could not be stopped even during appeal and...that was wrong. so...were you guys wrong or did the rules shift?

cause i was punished for saying such "nonsense" as "trump will just put punishments on hold forever" so...
They haven't finished the damages section of the trial.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

Who told you that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

InsertPotPun posted:

What made you believe that it has been stopped, just now?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

haveblue posted:

What made you believe that it has been stopped, just now?

I presume they are talking about the October 6th appellate holding that paused the cancellation of his business licenses in NY after he argued that some companies which weren't included in the suit were included in the verdict.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

A federal plea deal won't have any impact on the applicability of evidence revealed in it to a state proceeding unless the state also signed on or he signed on to a separate agreement with the state to that effect. A federal prosecutor can't bind a state one like that.

Right if I were to post smarter I probably meant more that for the federal case they could just not ask him any questions about what he did in any specific state, on the understanding he testify as to what Trump did that would incriminate him with respect to Jan 6. In exchange they give him a fine for obstructing an official proceeding or whatever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

The likely outcome will be that Trumps company will be dissolved and he'll be barred from doing business in New York. That won't actually happen until the trial is over and the judge renders a verdict.

Trump will undoubtedly appeal it, but he cannot appeal it forever. It may take a couple years to exhaust all the court challenges, but the punishments will be leveled eventually.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If I remember correctly, most of the appeals in the NY case are being run concurrently so when he finally gets to the big appeal at the end he'll have already used up 95% of his appeal ammo too.

And all those appeals will likely make the final case even more rock solid.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status/1729974630675308890?s=20

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Trump Org pays the Carroll judgement off?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You know, using your corporate account like a personal checking account to pay off personal judgments against you would normally let you pierce the corporate veil.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

You know, using your corporate account like a personal checking account to pay off personal judgments against you would normally let you pierce the corporate veil.

Engoron sighs and opens a new Word document

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

tecnocrat posted:

Trump Org pays the Carroll judgement off?

They had to put up the value of the judgement when they appealed. Or something like that.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

mdemone posted:

Engoron sighs and opens a New World Order document

Fixed it for you, according to Trump supporters

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
First three words, We're Taking Over

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trump regagged

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1730262975427097031

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Has Trump violated the gag order yet

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Technically no, but he is trying to get Engoron’s wife killed.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

pumpinglemma posted:

Rudy told him that the law says that if a judge's spouse dies during the case you get to walk.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pumpinglemma posted:

Wow it's almost like playing "not touching you not touching you" whack-a-mole with a narcissist is a bad idea and you have to just shut the fucker down and put him in a cell or it's never, ever going to stop. Weird how the " " " justice " " " system has these wild overreaches for other, normal, people that would have shut this down for even a percent of a percent of the bullshit he's pulling but just can't figure out how to get Trump to stop the gob-smackingly obvious poo poo he has done for decades, is doing right now, and will continue to do for as long as possible.

Yup.

Weird.

Think anyone will draw a line between A and B when one of his nutcase followers murders someone on the case or will it still be :decorum: all the way while the unpredictable lone wolf with inscrutable politics that nobody can figure out gets ventilated on the sidewalk?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

You'll know when they lift it again so they don't have to punish him for violating it. Again.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Charliegrs posted:

Yes

Trump attacks wife of New York judge after gag order reinstated by court

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Pro-Trump attorney who helped orchestrate fake electors plot cooperating in Nevada criminal probe

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/30/politics/pro-trump-attorney-who-oversaw-fake-electors-plot-cooperating-in-nevada-criminal-probe

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Scratch Monkey posted:

Rudy told him that the law says that if a judge's spouse dies during the case you get to walk.

As always, trump has the worst loving attorneys.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

But most importantly, its not even his wifes account, she says she doesnt have a Twitter.
Dumb Donald.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1730311674194722985

Looks like he may have gotten his idea from Loomer.
Would be great if her stupidity caused him to get fined.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

He'll surely face consequences this time!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)