Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Only had ours less than a year, but it's holding up really well, no issues of any sort.

Ours (id.4) has been a big old pita, but the latest software update fixed all the issues it seems.

If it can be purchased for 35k or less plus the 7500 rebate, I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

And it seems that the range on the new model will still be unimpressive by today's standards. Hopefully they'll at least ditch CHAdeMO.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

The demand is driven by marketing, and the marketing is driven by whatever has the best profit margins. It's the same reason McDonald's wants you to supersize your meal or whatever the gently caress they call it these days, I haven't eaten that poo poo since they got rid of the pink slime

I’m tired of this, oh it’s the manufacturers shoving these high margin cars down our throats poo poo. It’s our (the consumers) fault, and we’re living with it. In North America, we’d rather have large highway-chewing cruisers than econo-city commuters, it’s just that way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Going from my crossover to a low wagon has been shocking just how it engages totally different muscles to get in and out and I am old and feeble lol

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

QuarkJets posted:

The demand is driven by marketing, and the marketing is driven by whatever has the best profit margins. It's the same reason McDonald's wants you to supersize your meal or whatever the gently caress they call it these days, I haven't eaten that poo poo since they got rid of the pink slime

No, the demand is driven by people experiencing bigger vehicles and wanting them because they are more useful.

If you aren’t an enthusiast nerd and AWD CUV is about as practical and easy to use as can be.

You don’t have to compromise, you don’t have to plan ahead, you can just do that thing you want to do or drive to that place you want to go to and it’s easier to get in and out of to boot.

And before you @ me I drive a 2dr MINI Cooper, but I’m not going to pretend that I make practicality sacrifices to have a fun to drive car. My wife’s iX is a fuckload more useful to our family.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’m tired of this, oh it’s the manufacturers shoving these high margin cars down our throats poo poo. It’s our (the consumers) fault, and we’re living with it. In North America, we’d rather have large highway-chewing cruisers than econo-city commuters, it’s just that way.

Yeah exactly, it is our fault in the sense that we let marketing tell us what to do like a bunch of dolts. Americans love buying what we see on tv

It's not American Exceptionalism driving us to want bigger vehicles, it's American Capitalism

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah exactly, it is our fault in the sense that we let marketing tell us what to do like a bunch of dolts. Americans love buying what we see on tv

It's not American Exceptionalism driving us to want bigger vehicles, it's American Capitalism

:ok:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit touts first wireless-charging public road for electric vehicles in US

quote:

The Motor City can add a new claim to fame, as home to the country’s first wireless-charging public roadway for electric vehicles.

On Wednesday, members of the news media got a chance to see it in action.

A blue electric Ford E-Transit commercial van was able to charge as it moved over a quarter-mile stretch of newly paved 14th Street, a short distance from the towering Michigan Central Station, thanks to rubber-coated copper coils buried underneath the road surface.

A large video screen set up for the occasion outside Newlab, the rehabilitated Book Depository, showed the kilowatts generated and the speed as the van made its passes on the street. Those numbers would fluctuate as the van moved along, 16 kw and 9 mph at one point, with the van at a 63% charge.

“It may seem small now, but it’s a huge step” in getting this to scale, Joshua Sirefman, CEO of Michigan Central, the Ford subsidiary running a “mobility innovation district” in Corktown, said before the demonstration began. “The implications are truly staggering.”

Not just any electric vehicle can pick up a charge just yet on 14th Street. The van was equipped with a special receiver to take the charge. The coils themselves are underneath the road surface, but a small section of the road was left unpaved to show how the coated coils would lie flat underneath. Two large boxes were positioned on the sidewalk to manage the coils.

The endeavor represents one piece of a public-private partnership aiming to show how this type of EV charging infrastructure could work in practice, and it follows up on an announcement by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in September 2021 that the state planned to launch the first wireless-charging public road project in the country.

The Michigan Department of Transportation is working with Israel’s Electreon, one of the member companies at Newlab, and numerous partners to build what will eventually be a mile of inductive-charging roadway, including a larger piece on Michigan Avenue (construction there is slated for 2025). Electreon already has projects in the works in numerous other countries including Sweden, Germany, France, Italy, Norway, China and Israel.

Stefan Tongur, Electreon vice president of business development, said that the project is in use for buses in Israel that pay a fee to use the service.

The system is safe, he said, because each coil is individually connected and it only charges when a vehicle with a sensor is over the coil. He noted that the road surface is regular asphalt.

The inductive-charging roadway isn’t seen as any kind of complete solution to expanding the EV charging infrastructure. Rather, it would function as a range extender, to be paired with charging vehicles when they are stationary. These kinds of options would allow automakers to reduce the size of batteries, so that, while cost might be added to the infrastructure to include such coils, it would allow a reduction in cost on the vehicle end, Tongur said.

The cost for this project, according to MDOT, is $1.9 million in state funds and $4 million from the Electreon team and others.

MDOT Director Brad Wieferich called the project revolutionary for EVs. The state and its partners would use this project as a “springboard” to both learn and “to see how we can scale this up,” he said.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cockmaster posted:

And it seems that the range on the new model will still be unimpressive by today's standards. Hopefully they'll at least ditch CHAdeMO.

I just want a 1st gen with an unfucked battery situation and CCS or J3400 charging.

QuarkJets posted:

The government also hosed this pig by exempting SUVs from fuel economy mandates, creating a perverse incentive for manufacturers to focus on them.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I just can't imagine this actually being deployed. It seems so expensive.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

cruft posted:

The forum’s not called “Automotive Sensible”

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cruft posted:

If you're resurfacing the road anyway, there's very little extra expense to laying down the inducers before dumping the asphalt on it.

Figuring out the economics of it is why they're testing it. It may go nowhere, it may be brilliant. We'll just have to see.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

This kind of tech (different OEMs) has been installed in a few test sites and never went beyond test stage. Tear and wear makes it expensive to maintain, also since it's a fixed road installation they could have gone for pantographs for a tenth of the cost.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

Going from my crossover to a low wagon has been shocking just how it engages totally different muscles to get in and out and I am old and feeble lol
lol

Ask me how I feel getting into, or more accurately, out of, the 911 after being in a silverado all week.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

lol

Ask me how I feel getting into, or more accurately, out of, the 911 after being in a silverado all week.

Haha, now that would be a change!

Even my kids find it weird to get in/out of a “low” car. But man, it is so nice to be in something low and planted again after 7 years of crossovers. It was on a business trip that enterprise upgraded me to an A5 sport back where I went “god drat I MISS this” and realized I better get something before I get too old lol.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

cruft posted:

Wireless charging while driving is neat in theory and testing. However, we can’t even get consistently reliable L2/3 charging stations. I’m imagining fumbling with your credit/card and phone to try and get the wireless charging road app to work. Then it turns out only one section of the road that consistently works and you have to call customer service to get the charge started.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SlowBloke posted:

This kind of tech (different OEMs) has been installed in a few test sites and never went beyond test stage. Tear and wear makes it expensive to maintain, also since it's a fixed road installation they could have gone for pantographs for a tenth of the cost.

It's inefficient, expensive, a pain in the rear end to maintain, I don't know what the charge rates are, but they're probably painfully slow, and the money would be better spent installing a bunch of L2 chargers around town. The only upside is it's cool and space-agey, like something you'd see in an old Popular Mechanics article, and it's harder to rip them out and sell them for copper than a J1772 cord, I guess. It's not as mind-numbingly stupid as the solar panel road idea at least.

Now, install publicly available overhead 1kVDC wires, and put trolley bus booms as an option on EVs and you have my attention.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yeah wireless charging your phone is fine because that uses so little energy to begin with but if you’re wireless charging your car you’re going to be losing multiple kWh of power to transmission losses on every charge, we can’t really afford to be throwing away energy like that.

Also it would really only makes sense to put the coils where cars would be stopped for a long time, like stop lights, so you’d really only be getting 5 minutes max of charging per charge.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I for one welcome F-Zero charge pads for our EVs all around the country.

As long as it makes the sound while you go over it.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Lemme know how it holds up to 80k lb 18 wheelers driving over it along with a couple years of 10-80F temp swings and a shitton of iceing

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
It feels like rolling out inductive street charging everywhere would be orders of magnitude more expensive than coming up with good batteries that can fully charge in 5 minutes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I could see long haul trucks using overhead lines in the distant future. Perhaps 60 mile stretches where they deploy the connection, and top off. But passenger vehicles are gettin' pretty close to 'good enough' at fast charging on long trips.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Freezer posted:

It feels like rolling out inductive street charging everywhere would be orders of magnitude more expensive than coming up with good batteries that can fully charge in 5 minutes.

Not only that, but how many DCFC stalls could you buy for $6 million? Even factoring in utility upgrades, at least 20-30? And that's just what they paid for a quarter mile of road.

Nah, let's just trickle-charge a slow moving van instead. :science:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I could see long haul trucks using overhead lines in the distant future. Perhaps 60 mile stretches where they deploy the connection, and top off. But passenger vehicles are gettin' pretty close to 'good enough' at fast charging on long trips.

Imagine how much more efficient those trucks could be if they had steel wheels instead to reduce the rolling resistance. And you could even attach several trailers together to be hauled by one truck motor too to save on labor costs for the driver. Seems like a far out possibility though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Imagine how much more efficient those trucks could be if they had steel wheels instead to reduce the rolling resistance. And you could even attach several trailers together to be hauled by one truck motor too to save on labor costs for the driver. Seems like a far out possibility though.

America's got a great rail system for freight (at the expense of it being lovely for passengers), in fact. Not all routes are covered by rail, though, sadly.

The US's freight is 38% rail while Europe's only 8% as an example.

Edit: typos

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 30, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cenodoxus posted:

Not only that, but how many DCFC stalls could you buy for $6 million? Even factoring in utility upgrades, at least 20-30? And that's just what they paid for a quarter mile of road.

Nah, let's just trickle-charge a slow moving van instead. :science:

Well, version 0.9 of something is always going to be exorbitantly expensive.

But having orbited around civil engineers, it smells like the sort of thing that frequently gets kicked over to the roadway design folks, who then have to come back and say "sure, here's the cost and practical considerations involved", and then you never hear about it again.

Like, I dunno, dealing with heat loss from transformers. Or how you modify asphalt equipment and procedures. Or separating AC noise from buried telephone wires. Or, hell, 5G nanobot weirdos complaining that inductive charging is heating up their dental crowns.

I'm not saying it's impossible, or that costs won't go down when you scale up. It just feels like there are a hundred compounding considerations that are going to torpedo this idea.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 30, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Doubling (or more) the cost of recharging a car due to losses associated with wireless charging is a non-starter. That doesn't even take into consideration the... substantial... increase in construction costs for roads that would be associated with running copper capable of delivering kilowatts of power on the fly to moving vehicles (or even parked ones)

There is no way this will ever go anywhere, and I am quite certain this is just a handout to some local engineering firm or Ford from the Michigan government.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Now, install publicly available overhead 1kVDC wires, and put trolley bus booms as an option on EVs and you have my attention.

I continue to be extremely disappointed that this isn't real every time I see it.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Qwijib0 posted:

I continue to be extremely disappointed that this isn't real every time I see it.

Seems real. https://thebolditalic.com/hacked-prius-running-on-muni-power-lines-the-bold-italic-san-francisco-80cdbe55d68e

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The trolley wires in my area are 600V DC and I’m surprised the local engineering schools haven’t jury-rigged up something given their history of car related stunts and pranks.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

This is the only article I've ever found on it, never corroborated by any other publication. The Bold Italic as far as I can tell is just a SF zine that anyone can submit for.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Let's get the already hot asphalt even hotter, sounds great

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sideeffects: Your TV dinner will be piping hot by the time you get home, but everyone with a pacemaker will have a jammer.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I also think the charging roadway idea is dumb, but if anyone can come up with another way for the public to further subsidize the automobile, it's us.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Double post for some cybertruk details:

RWD (available 2025)
$60,990
250mi range
6.5s 0-60

AWD (2024)
$79,990
340mi range
4.1s 0-60
112mph top speed

"Cyberbeast" (2024)
$99,990
320mi range
2.6s 0-60

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

2.6 is rolling start, cheating!!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Why does anyone need a pickup truck that can go from 0-60 in under 3 seconds

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Or under 9 seconds for that matter

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm imagining the "cyberbeast" attempting to accelerate to 60 mph in under 3 seconds and shivering apart into a cacophonous shout of knife-edged metal parts blasting themselves down the highway in an expanding cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Have you seen the length of interstate ramps in Dallas?