Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, and Kerrigan, but I think she's completely lost the dialect at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, and Kerrigan, but I think she's completely lost the dialect at this point.

She doesn't really have it even in Starcraft 1. She may have been from a different part of the Confederacy.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

kerrigan is from west virginia

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

VostokProgram posted:

it is pretty funny that Jimmy, Arcturus, and Tychus are the Last Space Southerners. in the hands of better writers this could have been a reconstruction analogy or something

Every western is a reconstruction analogy if you try hard enough

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

VostokProgram posted:

As someone who grew up there, this made me laugh entirely too hard.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Did I already mentioned how I loving hate the fact that they had excellent chance to make Donny Vermilion someone with actual (if small) character development instead of long overstayed joke... but they decided to turn this entire "subplot" (and I'm being generous here) into lovely ableist joke? Yes? Well, then I just mentioned it again.

The Pipsisewah
Dec 13, 2022
something that stuck out to me when I played and was somewhat disappointed by WoL as a teen (I thought it was OK overall but not good enough to inspire me to but HotS etc) was how messy the mission choice makes the plot. I think that was a huge mistake as there's hardly any throughline to the game since the player could theoretically have skipped all but like 4 missions. Stuff that seems like it's going to be a big deal especially the progress of the rebellion just gets completely narratively destroyed because of this. I feel like maybe more missions should have been mandatory or there could have been more dynamic content like with Media Blitz impacting the UNN reports afterwards.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Char 2.5: Shatter the Sky

Video: Shatter the Sky

Just two more missions before we're done with Wings.

It's a bit hard to tell, but there's a stream of zerg crawling underneath that grate.

The reactors'll go critical and take care of the zerg for us.

Kerrigan won't be givin' us a second chance.

I start off with a decent army, with eight Marines, a few Medics, two Banshees, and a Battlecruiser.

Matt's nice and starts throwing out a bunch of Scanner Sweeps.

Once we blow those coolant towers it won't matter, the platforms'll burn up and kill everything on them.

You can also see that there are two expansions close to my base, with one being directly south of me.

Haven's Fall I went air. Gates of Hell I went mech. So today, I'm going with the strongest army: Marines, Marauders, and Medics.

Meanwhile, my ships are more than enough to clear out the nearby expansion.

Most of the defenses are anti-ground, and what few Mutalisks are here can be handled by the Battlecruiser.

And since it's on the path to my main base, I don't have to spend more supply to defend it and can cover both bases with a single Bunker.

There's no real pressure here, attack waves are much tamer compared to Gates of Hell, so I can take my time and get my economy going before pushing out.

Five minutes later, the boys are ready to roll.

There are these spires spewing green gas near every coolant tower that'll occasionally pop out Mutalisks, but they aren't a major issue.

A dozen+ Marines don't care, after all.

After each tower is destroyed I have to flee from the segment its on before everything explodes.

Each tower also leaves behind some caches when destroyed.

The other three towers are harder to take down. The bottom right one is covered in Spore Crawlers, top left has Spine Crawlers, and bottom left has a mix.

So naturally I'm going for the top left first.

Now, I could swing north and take that third expansion, but infantry is a very low cost army so I'm not going to bother building it up.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to clear them out, though.

Even an Ultralisk can only survive two seconds of sustained fire.

Also I threw in some mercs for fun.

Even the anti-ground base could only ding me for like 10 supply, and I have more than enough money to replace them.

*alarms blaring*

Destroying a second tower will kick off this scene.

The big zerg will putter around the map, much like the Mothership in Maw of the Void.

It's a nasty piece of work. 3K HP, with high damage, high range attacks that can't be cheesed with Vikings like the Purifier.

Also, it has two very potent abilities. Bio-Stasis is a 5 second aoe stun, while Bio-Plasmid Discharge is a Yamato Cannon that deals 500 damage. That's enough to kill anything short of a Battlecruiser, and even they would be near death.

Also also, it'll constantly pop out Mutalisks and Brood Lords when aggroed.

Now, techically I don't have to kill it...

But where's the fun in that?

The sheer power of Man With Gun cannot be surpassed.

The 10th anniversary achievement there is for killing the Leviathan within 2 minutes of its arrival.

With the Leviathan out of the way the only thing I have to worry about are attack waves.

Also there's a third expansion on this map. In case three bases worth of income and all the caches aren't enough.

Up next is the anti-air base.

Which is, uh, anti-air.

It just dawned on me.

Isn't Warfield supposed to be having his arm lopped off right now?

There's just one tower left, and I don't really need my army to survive, so...

I hit F2 and click on it.

Rather than making you needlessly wait to win the mission, the final tower doesn't bother with a timer.

Shatter the Sky is a bizarrely chill time, considering it's the penultimate mission.

Gates of Hell forces you to deal with a puny base and minimal income, while also fending off constant attacks.

Here there's just so many easy resources to make a massive army, and the enemy doesn't send nearly enough at you to pose a threat.

The Harder They Fall - Destroy the Leviathan in the "Shatter the Sky" mission within 2 minutes of it appearing on Normal difficulty.

Now, the intermission for this split is the exact same regardless of choice.

So that means we're ending our final trip to the Non-Canon Zone a bit earlier than usual.

And heading straight to the finale.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 6, 2024

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

drat, even goofing around for the LP you were less than half a minute from taking the 25 minute achievement too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man With Gun, the ultimate human technology.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PurpleXVI posted:

:blaster: :regd08:

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Cut Content

Horner's dialogue is almost the same as if you completed Belly of the Beast, but Swann's is completely different.

Horner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv29yx87WnE

How're things lookin', Matt?

With the platform down, the Zerg have stopped hammering us. We're finally gaining control of high orbit. But, sir... This last step... Are you sure you know what you're getting into? What if she can't be saved? Have you really considered that?

It's real simple for me, Matt. I'll never give up on her. Long as there's a chance of bringing her back, I'll never quit.

But what if you fail? Can you live with that?

Matt, if I fail, we're all dead men anyway.

Swann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPbEHQYXKSs

What's your status, Swann?

Crappy. How're you enjoying your little vacation dirtside?

Not much better. The beer's flat and the locals are ugly.

Listen, cowboy. I love you like a brother. I know you've got all your hopes pinned on saving Kerrigan, but just watch your back down there.

What do you mean?

Your girl's made herself a lot of enemies over the years. If that damned artifact does what you hope it does, they won't hesitate going through you to get to her.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

PurpleXVI posted:

It makes sense, they get the best battle theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeScjOTYl7g

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It occurs to me that I've never really done a proper bio-ball outside of early missions where it's pretty much mandatory thanks to limited unit selection. I just love high end expensive ships and tanks and such too much. But to out-swarm the Swarm, hm...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

since it consists of Marauders, Marines, and ladies, I propose the tactical designation: Marmalade

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I will always have a soft spot for Shatter the Sky because it's by far the best mission to just sit back, take it slow, and build an unstoppable death fleet of battlecruisers, which I quite enjoy with the special fiery death animations that zerg and some terran units have.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

disposablewords posted:

It occurs to me that I've never really done a proper bio-ball outside of early missions where it's pretty much mandatory thanks to limited unit selection. I just love high end expensive ships and tanks and such too much. But to out-swarm the Swarm, hm...

It is insanely loving satisfying to build an MMM blob and then lose almost nothing stutter stepping a much bigger army while everything your guys shoot turns to dust.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cythereal posted:

I will always have a soft spot for Shatter the Sky because it's by far the best mission to just sit back, take it slow, and build an unstoppable death fleet of battlecruisers, which I quite enjoy with the special fiery death animations that zerg and some terran units have.

I also just really enjoy the animation of the laser batteries raining down from various parts of the Cruisers.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Here's a youtube short I found that seems relevant to the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Kapf8tPsw

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
FWIW, your initial banshees can also destroy the first vent right after you destroy the first expansion. Also I think that if you want to get really fancy, you can use an exploding platform to take out the leviathan.

Anyway, this was a quick demonstration why there are only 5 missions where you can't just MMM F2 your way to the victory. (The battlecruiser one and the 4 where you don't play terrans)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

had a dumb thought and started wondering how viable it would be to play where you can only build units that have the same name as a battletech mech (you can still use any unit you start with, and any scripted reinforcements, and SCVs). turns out this isn't nearly as restrictive as i thought, but you'd still miss out on some really key units. here's the full banlist:

- marine
- medic
- spectre
- firebat
- siege tank
- diamondback
- medivac
- battlecruiser
- science vessel

no marines would make a lot of early missions be basically no-build, you'd be missing a core element of bio/mech/air no matter which you picked, and you have no mobile healing/repair other than SCVs

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Genuinely surprised that there is no Spectre battlemech.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Here's a youtube short I found that seems relevant to the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Kapf8tPsw

This is not peak management acumen, but it's getting close.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

aniviron posted:

Genuinely surprised that there is no Spectre battlemech.

That's because it's called the Spector.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Of course, silly me. :allears:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Huh, you know, if you really think about it, couldn't Raynor have done both missions? One is the hero mission with the, uh, all-star cast of the main crew, and the other just uses the generic military. Raynor could've taken out the tunnels while Horner led the army to destroy the platform.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

Huh, you know, if you really think about it, couldn't Raynor have done both missions? One is the hero mission with the, uh, all-star cast of the main crew, and the other just uses the generic military. Raynor could've taken out the tunnels while Horner led the army to destroy the platform.

In theory the reason they need Raynor at all is his strategic skills that you, the player, are demonstrating. I don't know if you really need a lot of tactical acumen for the idea of "round up the boys and shoot anything that moves" but, y'know, gameplay-story segregation.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm blaming the colony ships that brought the Terrans to the sector. Those must've been shitpiles. Probably enough contaminants on board that all their descendants are still born with lead poisoning.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

VostokProgram posted:

If she was from Florida, she'd probably have had more experience with swarms of terrifying giant bugs.

Tenebrais posted:

In theory the reason they need Raynor at all is his strategic skills that you, the player, are demonstrating. I don't know if you really need a lot of tactical acumen for the idea of "round up the boys and shoot anything that moves" but, y'know, gameplay-story segregation.

C'mon Matt, you just press the A button and click where you want the horde of Marines to go! I guess you really weren't the commander in Starcraft 1 after all.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Matt keeps directing the marines in groups of twelve

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Maybe he's their regimental drummer and he's absolutely vital to getting the rhythm for stutterstepping just right.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Horner is busy crafting the ultimate social media post to hit Mengsk while he's still somewhat rattled. Once the Sector hears about #Assturus Mengsk the Dominion is history.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Absolutely. This is one of my favourite missions for this reason. Just good clean fun. It's especially nice as a breather level on Brutal before the absolute meat-grinder of... well, we'll see.

*** NITPICK LAUNCH DETECTED ***

Re: the cut Swann dialogue, to me this is one of the weirdest things about the WoL campaign. They keep hinting at this "Oh no, better watch out, someone on our crew isn't trustworthy, maybe he's working for Mengsk!" but like, that's info we get from the opening cutscene. And that wasn't just the opening cutscene, it was the announcement trailer. Literally the first piece of information the public received about this game was that there is a man named Tychus Findley and he's working for Arcturus Mengsk (should I spoiler that? But again, it's content we've seen). So I get the whole tension of "will he, won't he" when it comes to actual betrayal, and we'll soon find out how that shakes down, but the whole "Oh man, someone might not be trustworthy!" thing strikes me as odd. I guess maybe it could be more to show the characters speculating on it than to give info to the player? But the characters don't actually do anything about it.

I wonder if maybe they were going for a double-bluff, where they wanted players to say "Oh, we know Tychus is working for Mengsk, I'll bet that's a red herring and the traitor will turn out to be someone else!" Or maybe it's just a factor of the non-linear mission structure limiting how much storytelling they could do there. I guess they're kinda forced to have plot points that just tread water like that because they have so little control over what dialogue the player will see in what order and who will be present. And I'm down with that trade; I'd rather the game as it is now than something with better story, pacing, and characterization but less choice in terms of missions. I mean we've seen in this very Let's Play the fun that you can have by delaying certain missions until you've got particular units and/or upgrades running. And even though there's a lot more plot stuff in this game, the story is fundamentally still the same thing it is in every RTS: flavour text to explain why your little dudes are beating up the other little dudes.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, the character speculation seems to mostly exist to show that the characters are aware of the possibility... but then they also do nothing about it. So they're minimally aware but also just dangerously complacent about the possibility too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

JohnKilltrane posted:

Absolutely. This is one of my favourite missions for this reason. Just good clean fun. It's especially nice as a breather level on Brutal before the absolute meat-grinder of... well, we'll see.

*** NITPICK LAUNCH DETECTED ***

Re: the cut Swann dialogue, to me this is one of the weirdest things about the WoL campaign. They keep hinting at this "Oh no, better watch out, someone on our crew isn't trustworthy, maybe he's working for Mengsk!" but like, that's info we get from the opening cutscene. And that wasn't just the opening cutscene, it was the announcement trailer. Literally the first piece of information the public received about this game was that there is a man named Tychus Findley and he's working for Arcturus Mengsk (should I spoiler that? But again, it's content we've seen). So I get the whole tension of "will he, won't he" when it comes to actual betrayal, and we'll soon find out how that shakes down, but the whole "Oh man, someone might not be trustworthy!" thing strikes me as odd. I guess maybe it could be more to show the characters speculating on it than to give info to the player? But the characters don't actually do anything about it.

I wonder if maybe they were going for a double-bluff, where they wanted players to say "Oh, we know Tychus is working for Mengsk, I'll bet that's a red herring and the traitor will turn out to be someone else!" Or maybe it's just a factor of the non-linear mission structure limiting how much storytelling they could do there. I guess they're kinda forced to have plot points that just tread water like that because they have so little control over what dialogue the player will see in what order and who will be present. And I'm down with that trade; I'd rather the game as it is now than something with better story, pacing, and characterization but less choice in terms of missions. I mean we've seen in this very Let's Play the fun that you can have by delaying certain missions until you've got particular units and/or upgrades running. And even though there's a lot more plot stuff in this game, the story is fundamentally still the same thing it is in every RTS: flavour text to explain why your little dudes are beating up the other little dudes.

I guess its because Raynor is the main character and if he were totally ignorant of the possibility of a betrayal all the dramatic focus would be on Tychus? Maybe they should have just made him the main character, that'd have been pretty interesting. Seeing Jim's shifting priorities and indecision from the outside and leaving the fate of the player's avatar so far up in the air would made for some high drama.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, there’s a fun idea right there: you start off playing as Tychus in the immediate aftermath of what would have happened in the first mission, and the carnage of still-warm bodies littering the streets is bad enough to give a grizzled badass like him pause, and make him start wondering if Mengsk’s propaganda about his old buddy becoming a ruthless bandit had an actual ring of truth to it after all.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Alternatively play it as they all loving knew and were keeping him at arms length waiting for the betrayal and it comes from an unexpected quarter and Mensk, the serial Chessmaster, was using him as a decoy for his real spy

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Come to think of it, it's also maybe something they ran into with the Narud thing. Like, in universe, yeah, for someone to make a connection that "Hey, Narud is Duran spelled backwards, this old white scientist dude must be that lieutenant from a few years back, just in a different body" would be completely off the wall. Like that is moon man talk, it's a completely unhinged theory that no character could rattle off without sounding like Koprulu Alex Jones. But it's still something that's pretty obvious to the player.

I think maybe both were attempts at dramatic irony that just didn't quite land, again maybe because of the trading story for non-linearity thing making build-ups and reveals hard to do (and again, I still think the trade was worth it. Nuking trains >>>>>>>>>>>>> story).

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

JohnKilltrane posted:

Like, in universe, yeah, for someone to make a connection that "Hey, Narud is Duran spelled backwards, this old white scientist dude must be that lieutenant from a few years back, just in a different body" would be completely off the wall. Like that is moon man talk, it's a completely unhinged theory that no character could rattle off without sounding like Koprulu Alex Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

JohnKilltrane posted:

Like that is moon man talk, it's a completely unhinged theory that no character could rattle off without sounding like Koprulu Alex Jones

You know in a setting where body snatchers and ancient aliens are both provably real, having a Koprulu Alex Jones as a side character or radio show alternative to the official Mengsk News Network would've been a pretty funny and obvious slam dunk.