Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

oh man, that's my favorite liam gibson book. i think i paid like 14 bytes for it back in the day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lmfao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"how do you like them onions bitch?!?"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

well-read undead posted:

oh man, that's my favorite liam gibson book. i think i paid like 14 bytes for it back in the day

liam gibson read it. this plot has k dick written all over it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I would 100% play this cyberpunk DLC

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Armitag3 posted:

liam gibson read it. this plot has k dick written all over it

if it's PKD then the book will be called something like Closing Down Sale At The Cyber Warehouse, and it was probably made into a movie called Cerebral Disclosure

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 28, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
lol I want to know the original liam gibson quote they lifted that from. assume it's not even about this book

edit: gently caress

https://twitter.com/Jackapedia_/status/1631272347687682050

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 28, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there's no way yall thought that was real

it was funny as hell, though

i looked up the isbn to see if it was a different joke, but it just goes to this: https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?225585

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

everything from "and they do sex stuff up there as well" is very obviously a joke

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all of it is very obviously a joke

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yes but what's initially unclear is whether it's a parody book or a nonexistent one

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

This reminds me of the first chapter of snowcrash, which is incredible. Unlike the rest of snowcrash, which is awful

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like snow crash but i dont give a gently caress about babylon or the nam shub of enki poo poo

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

ADINSX posted:

This reminds me of the first chapter of snowcrash, which is incredible. Unlike the rest of snowcrash, which is awful

this is also every other neal stephenson book ever

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I read the baroque cycle god help me

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I enjoyed anathem but I don't want to go back and read it again because I'll probably hate it, like when I read cryptonomicon a second time

having the nerds they weren't allowed to talk to called IT Admins was dumb as hell though.

I feel like Diamond Age might be worth a re-read but now I spend all my time posting because my brain has rotted

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sweevo posted:

if it's PKD then the book will be called something like Closing Down Sale At The Cyber Warehouse, and it was probably made into a movie called Cerebral Disclosure

the movie would be called Murdercyde Chips

bought off a book about a British serial killer who poisons potato fries

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I read the baroque cycle god help me

i never finished that one, i got like halfway through book 2 at some point

it has its good moments but it's a little too much about neal stephenson feeling like he needs to shout to the world how much smarter he is than everybody else

anathem kinda got me interested in philosophy and metaphysics so mission accomplished there i guess

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Toadsmash posted:

the man cannot end a book to save his life

if someone was to make a play out of one of his books, there would just be a point where the main character turns to the audience and says "ok, well, i guess we're done" and then everyone comes out from back stage and takes a bow to confused, scattered applause

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Toadsmash posted:

neal stephenson feeling like he needs to shout to the world how much smarter he is than everybody else

Toadsmash posted:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
seveneves could have ended after part two and been fine or even after part one and been better and still a full-length novel. instead there was an incredibly tedious part three that made you forget there was anything good in the first parts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

the man cannot end a book to save his life

if someone was to make a play out of one of his books, there would just be a point where the main character turns to the audience and says "ok, well, i guess we're done" and then everyone comes out from back stage and takes a bow to confused, scattered applause

boy was that ever my experience with the diamond age.

six hundred pages building up this girl's story, which was fine tbh, a little overcooked but it kept up a decent pace mostly

and then like thirty pages of "uhhhh and i guess now it's ten years later and she's an adult and uhhh she takes over the world, i suppose. yeah. she was helped by all those other girls we talked about in chapter 2, remember them? yeah they were there too. ok see ya"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Neal Stephenstop

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

seveneves could have ended after part two and been fine or even after part one and been better and still a full-length novel. instead there was an incredibly tedious part three that made you forget there was anything good in the first parts

what part 3 was there, i remember everything up to the end of the world as part 1, everything after as part 2

i assume your part 3 is my part 2

post apocalypse was an ok standalone scifi story but it had no right being part of the same story

then you would just kind of :stare: over all these made up tribal names or whatevers and just kind of giggle hysterically at very tropey typical fanficy scifi

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Neal Stephenstop

more like Neal Stephensoff :smuggo:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Reamde was an even more self indulgent circlejerk

i preordered it on kindle back in the day, got like 5 minutes into it, dropped it like a hot potato and didn't come back to finish it till just like last year

his ridiculous diatribes about how mmos and their economies work and how this guy got rich off of one reads like neal's dream of how he wished his own life was

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Toadsmash posted:

what part 3 was there, i remember everything up to the end of the world as part 1, everything after as part 2

i assume your part 3 is my part 2

post apocalypse was an ok standalone scifi story but it had no right being part of the same story

then you would just kind of :stare: over all these made up tribal names or whatevers and just kind of giggle hysterically at very tropey typical fanficy scifi

maybe i'm not remembering right, it's been a while since i read it. the space stuff was cool, the far future stuff was weird and yeah seemed like it should have been a different book

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
yeah reamde was dreadful. must have been something about the very early 2010s because it came out just after a rare miss from greg egan with zendegi, also about mmorpg bullshit

e: lol ready player one came out the same year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a certain subset of sci-fi became absolutely fascinated with these virtual worlds and attendant social hierarchies, which had only existed for 20-something years previously

you don't see gibson going entirely up his own rear end over mmos in the 2000s because they were old hat by then

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
part 1 is discovering the world is going to end and making preparations. it ends with the world ending

part 2 is living in LEO in the immediate aftermath of the world ending. it ends with orbital society collapsing and humanity being reduced to the seven eves (and one dude)

part 3 is the far future

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Toadsmash posted:

his ridiculous diatribes about how mmos and their economies work and how this guy got rich off of one reads like neal's dream of how he wished his own life was

that certainly adds to my understanding of his overly-wrought sword fighting kickstarter

like his books, it also ended suddenly without resolution. this bit from the last update could be the afterword for so many of his stories

quote:

The prototype was technically innovative, but it wasn't very fun to play. This is for various reasons. […] I probably focused too much on historical accuracy and not enough on making it sufficiently fun […]

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

that certainly adds to my understanding of his overly-wrought sword fighting kickstarter

like his books, it also ended suddenly without resolution. this bit from the last update could be the afterword for so many of his stories

oh my god I forgot about that

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

First dog is the gently caress, man!?

https://files.catbox.moe/f5y013.mp4

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

he wanted to make the game he described in snowcrash. turns out it was a terrible game

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

infernal machines posted:

he wanted to make the game he described in snowcrash. turns out it was a terrible game

he should have just made the virus in snowcrash

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

humanity being reduced to the seven eves (and one dude)

aww yeaaah

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alan Smithee posted:

he should have just made the virus in snowcrash

if neal stephenson snowcrashed a bunch of tech idiots I'd buy all his crappy books and even recommend them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

RAIDEN. WINS.

https://files.catbox.moe/2jmya1.mp4