Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
What's with these geniuses suing for defamation after committing heinous crimes. Did their lawyers not tell them about the civil standard of proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Buck Turgidson posted:

What's with these geniuses suing for defamation after committing heinous crimes. Did their lawyers not tell them about the civil standard of proof?

They all think they're Johnny Depp and the internet will turn against their woman accuser

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Buck Turgidson posted:

They're trying to kick start a career in stand up.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Actually I've decided it's a galaxy brained move to stave off future prosecution. You lose a super high profile defamation case about that thing you did and then they can't find an impartial jury for your criminal trial because everyone is convinced you're guilty.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Buck Turgidson posted:

Generally their lawyers will tell them that, but will also advise they’ll still represent them as best as they can for some sweet channel 7 coin.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

hambeet posted:

Generally their lawyers will tell them that, but will also advise they’ll still represent them as best as they can for some sweet channel 7 coin location shooting fees.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Channel 7 has to be the worst when it comes to giving money to criminals (or the best if you think about it)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-28/nsw-trees-cut-down-longueville-lane-cove-council-investigation/103155676

Effectively local news but if that got your blood boiling (I'd resume the home without compensation and give it to a local land care group to hostel volunteers and/or the homeless).........

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-01/ai-analysis-finds-failed-forest-regrowth-after-logging-/103153614

No need to read if you already knew that sustainable logging was the equivalent of clean coal.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
George Miller done Max Max 4: 2 and the trailer music is a sneaky cover of Thunderstruck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJMuhwVlca4

gently caress I love George miller

Babe, babe 2, Mad Max, those movies about penguins he made because he had young kids and was forced to watch cartoons and was like "I could do that. Then made Mad Max 4, which is the coolest poo poo of all time

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Peccadillo posted:

George Miller done Max Max 4: 2 and the trailer music is a sneaky cover of Thunderstruck

I dunno. It looks like it has more CGI and worse green screens than the Star Wars Prequels.

Maybe it's going to look better later.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

Babe, babe 2, Mad Max, those movies about penguins he made because he had young kids and was forced to watch cartoons and was like "I could do that. Then made Mad Max 4, which is the coolest poo poo of all time

Miller is the GOAT. Treats his employees really well too.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Comstar posted:

I dunno. It looks like it has more CGI and worse green screens than the Star Wars Prequels.

Maybe it's going to look better later.

As much as I hate to say it, the trailer has completely poleaxed every single bit of hype I was feeling for the film.

Those cars are ATROCIOUS. what the gently caress, the cars that they actually built for Fury Road were phenomenal and now they're replacing everything with really lovely plastic-looking CG?

Fuuuuck.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Trailer cgi is often worse than the finished product. Hopefully in this instance because hell yeah mad max but she's a young girl named furiosa which is almost as cool a name

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Peccadillo posted:

also 3000 Years of Longing, which was a big comfortable couch of a movie based on Idris Elba being very attractive.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I forgot about that movie, it was lovely

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
His production company did the Bodyline mini series which everyone should watch.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
he was also a surgeon in an accident & emergency room, which is a pretty good thing of him to do

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

His production company did the Bodyline mini series which everyone should watch.

could have used more explosions

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

he was also a surgeon in an accident & emergency room, which is a pretty good thing of him to do

There’s where he got the inspiration and the money to make Mad Max.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Stars Hugo Weaving, but not a single CGI Kung Fu fight. Shameful.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

There’s where he got the inspiration and the money to make Mad Max.

i see you've played movie-facty before

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The whole thing is on youtube you might as well watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3MkGh096E

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Stars Hugo Weaving, but not a single CGI Kung Fu fight. Shameful.

It did have some pretty aggressive fast bowling though.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

The whole thing is on youtube you might as well watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3MkGh096E

Hey it's Gary Sweet

Police Rescue > A Country Practice :australia:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Some posters I know... Think that I'm craaayaaayaaayzyyy

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
No silly, you don't need 300,000 for a house! Just 285,000. Per Year

quote:

The “great Australian dream” is – once again – under fire, and in a surprise to absolutely nobody I’d like to talk about it. A recent housing report has suggested that Australians now need to earn an annual income of more than $300,000 to embark on the journey of home ownership – a claim I’d like to dispute.

This has been gleaned from the analysis of over 22,000 property sales conducted by Suburbtrends in October, has purportedly established that median house prices are currently nine times the average annual income.
Reports this week claimed an income of $300,000 would be needed to afford property. In my experience, you can get by on far less.

Reports this week claimed an income of $300,000 would be needed to afford property. In my experience, you can get by on far less.Credit: Dionne Gain

Employing the internationally recognised “median multiple” as its metric – a calculation involving the division of a market’s median house price by the gross median household income – the report indicates that Australia has grown to a median multiple of 9.1.

This figure implies that aspiring home owners would need to command an income of at least $301,769 to navigate the property market terrain successfully – which understandably has disheartened many people around the country who still hold tight to the dream of one day owning the roof that covers their heads.

As someone who works every day in the property space, it’s essential for me to demystify this consistent narrative of unaffordability.

Chief analyst and founder of Suburbtrends, Kent Lardner, has suggested the prospect of home ownership is gradually escaping the average Australian, especially for those without the proverbial “bank of mum and dad” safety net. The ability to save for a deposit while allocating a substantial portion, approximately 31 per cent or more, of household income to rental expenses renders the dream of property ownership an increasingly elusive one.

Home ownership need not be an unattainable goal; rather, it can be a well-executed journey when you practise good financial awareness.

Regional nuances further amplify this dissonance, with Sydney’s northern beaches setting an ambitious bar at $600,000 per annum as the requisite income for home ownership. The outer west and Blue Mountains region, in contrast, presents a relatively “more affordable” option at $283,333 annually.

Melbourne’s inner east requires a sizeable financial commitment of $428,833 yearly, while the Mornington Peninsula extends a more accessible entry point at $274,000 per annum. Brisbane and the Gold Coast offer a somewhat more palatable required incomes of $330,000 and $282,500, respectively, yet they still demand a significant financial investment.

Lardner’s call for effective policy solutions echoes the need to address the affordability crisis without exacerbating existing inequalities. He cautions against relying on strategies such as First Home Buyer grants and shared equity schemes, asserting that these initiatives may inadvertently contribute to long-term inflation in house prices, favouring sellers more than buyers.
Related Article
Housing crisis
Opinion
Housing affordability
Why there’s no quick fix to the housing affordability crisis
Elizabeth Knight
Elizabeth Knight

Business columnist

In emphasising the importance of balancing supply and affordability, he suggested that the government should focus not only on increasing housing stock but also on promoting the development of affordable housing options, crucial for achieving sustainable affordability – and this is something I can not only agree with, but wholeheartedly get behind.

However, beyond the headline-grabbing figures and affordability concerns we’ve seen thrown around over the past few weeks, the gateway to home ownership actually hinges on a crucial factor – serviceability.

Cait Bransgrove, a broker (and my co-director at Zella Money) really drives home this point, emphasising that home owners seeking to refinance and prospective buyers face hurdles in the current financial climate.

Despite the prevailing cost of living crisis and elevated interest rates, securing a home loan is contingent on serviceability – essentially, the borrower’s ability to repay the loan – not just what they earn.

The recent decision by the Reserve Bank of Australia to raise the cash rate target further underscores the intricate dance between borrowers and lenders, one which mortgage brokers – who are responsible for orchestrating nearly two-thirds of all new residential loans in Australia – are becoming increasingly important. In a financial landscape where straightforward deals are becoming increasingly elusive, especially for first-time homebuyers, the role of a knowledgeable mortgage broker becomes pivotal.
Related Article
For first home buyers, is it worth getting a mortgage broker, or just working it out yourself?
Analysis
Home loans
The questions all first home buyers should ask mortgage brokers

Bransgrove suggests that instead of getting overwhelmed by the process, recruiting a broker early on in your journey to work closely with you can help you understand what hurdles you might be up against.

While $300,000 might seem like an intimidating financial threshold, the true key to unlocking home ownership lies in strategic financial planning, a nuanced understanding of serviceability dynamics, and support from a professional if needed.

After all, it’s what you do with your money that’s important, not how much you earn. In my previous career as a financial adviser I saw it all the time: those with average incomes retiring financially comfortably due to good financial planning, and those who earned big dollars who ended up with little to show for it at the end of the day.

As we navigate the intricate movements of the housing market, it is critical that we keep our heads screwed on and recognise that the real magic lies not in the headline figures but in the hands of informed borrowers, adept mortgage brokers, and a harmonious financial strategy.

Home ownership need not be an unattainable goal; rather, it can be a well-executed journey when you practise good financial awareness, strategic planning, and collaboration with knowledgeable professionals.

Victoria Devine is an award-winning retired financial adviser, best-selling author, and host of Australia’s number one finance podcast, She’s on the Money. Victoria is also the founder and co-director of Zella Money.

Comments have been turned off for this article. You just need strategic planning of a revolution, a nuanced understanding of guillotine dynamics, and support from a professional hangman if needed.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 2, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Honestly if people can pay rent currently then serviceability won't really be an issue. 100% of people I know who bought recently had their parents stump up the deposit so really everything is totally fine, I am very smart.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-03/free-detainee-laws-based-on-coalition-era-terror-laws/103181494

wow thanks labour for being not the coalition.

quote:

The Albanese government will use existing laws passed when the Coalition was in office as the basis for a new preventative detention regime aimed at locking up some of the non-citizens released following last month's landmark High Court ruling on indefinite detention.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I see they learnt the correct lesson from last time they were in power and had an opposition that just said no to everything

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Comstar posted:

No silly, you don't need 300,000 for a house! Just 285,000. Per Year

Comments have been turned off for this article. You just need strategic planning of a revolution, a nuanced understanding of guillotine dynamics, and support from a professional hangman if needed.

This repeats itself over and over and says almost nothing, it could have been a few sentences long.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We were slightly optimistic in the first few weeks but then we look back and realise how loving stupid we were

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1731443161980186854

strange

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-04/australian-jobs-being-lost-to-ai/103123682

quote:

Like most smaller agencies, Ezra's business has a small number of core staff and hires contractors to work on specific contracts.

"We're fortunate that we don't employ full-time writers, because the first thing that would have gone would have been writers," Auperle says.

"And I see that obviously in our contract bills — they're pretty much non-existent."

As soon as he grasped the new capacities of generative AI, he called a meeting, telling staff: "We don't need writers anymore. We don't need storyboard artists anymore … You just need to learn how to ask [AI] the right questions so it gives you what we need.

"And that was basically day one."

Ezra is also the CEO of a parallel animation company called Fox & Co.

Since that staff meeting, AI's role in both businesses has grown as the technology has become more sophisticated and tailored.

"The previous two films we made, we had 20 contractors working on the animation [for each].

"By contrast, the one they're making now involves zero."

worlds most punchable boss.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Basically - We don't need it to be good, we just need more content for the content farm

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Paging Electric Wrigglies:

Guardian AU posted:

The Northern Territory government walked away from a proposal to set net zero emissions requirements for new onshore gas developments after the industry objected, government documents show.

Letters and emails released to Guardian Australia under freedom of information laws show the Fyles government quietly consulted the gas industry in late 2022 about a plan to meet the key climate recommendation from a scientific inquiry into fracking. Other key stakeholders and the public do not appear to have been consulted about the proposal.

“It isn’t every day that we obtain this level of insight into the direct influence that the fossil fuel sector has on the climate policies of Australian governments,” said Harriet Kater, special adviser at the Australasian Centre for Corporate Responsibility.“Unfortu nately, this has a strong sense of being the tip of the iceberg." “The unchecked influence of the fossil fuel sector on policymakers is a primary reason that emissions continue to rise on a trajectory that is catastrophic for human safety.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/04/net-zero-policy-new-gas-projects-abandoned-industry-objections

This is what I am talking about, it's not a secret conspiracy, oil and gas companies use the power and influence that their large amounts of capital grant them to forestall effective climate action.

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 4, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Are progressive No voters useful idiots or collaborators? Just trying to understand here because it does seem that the progressive No either willingly or naively leaned into far right propaganda.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That animation/VFX company is trash

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

luckily we didn't have to fire our full time writers because we never employed full time writers :shepface:

Recoome posted:

Are progressive No voters useful idiots or collaborators? Just trying to understand here because it does seem that the progressive No either willingly or naively leaned into far right propaganda.

get a different hobby

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

get a different hobby

Is the progressive no case being used as cover for far right groups not sufficiently Auspol for you? Shouldn't we be concerned with the co-opting of progressive ideas into nationalistic movements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Captain Theron posted:

Is the progressive no case being used as cover for far right groups not sufficiently Auspol for you? Shouldn't we be concerned with the co-opting of progressive ideas into nationalistic movements?

That was Recoome baiting the easily baited progressive no guy.