Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Fereydun posted:

A goddess! A saint! Wisdom! Intelligence! Kindness! Fraternity! That is it!

We don't need an enlightened despot, we need one who is completely in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

do not read Kenkyo Kenjitsu because it went on hiatus like 6 years ago and the author appears to have just loving vanished from the web. It is very good, but it's not even really in a good "and the story goes on" kinda place where it abruptly ends.

this is also true and sucks but I think it is still clearly worth reading

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm a fan of Isekai manga that has a mob or NPC who's normally nonexistent/a minor character coming into their own and suddenly interfering with the story, because one of the main characters is almost always also reincarnated and it's hilarious when they're blindsided by someone else loving with the story they couldn't anticipate. That's one reason I really enjoy Otomege Mob.

I also like Otomege Mob because the author likes to create harems where there's lots of strife between the harem members. His other series, Sevens, is fantastic because the MC isn't trying to build a harem but he does and they're constantly at each other's throats (Sometimes literally) and there's nothing he can do about it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

I'm a fan of Isekai manga that has a mob or NPC who's normally nonexistent/a minor character coming into their own and suddenly interfering with the story, because one of the main characters is almost always also reincarnated and it's hilarious when they're blindsided by someone else loving with the story they couldn't anticipate. That's one reason I really enjoy Otomege Mob.

Well if you like Tokusatsu and Otome school drama. There's a Series for you. Main character is a hero obsessed person who gets killed and reincarnated as a minor villain in a story, but has proceeded to change the plot for the other reincarnates through his genuinely good nature and the power of Henshin.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

I also like Otomege Mob because the author likes to create harems where there's lots of strife between the harem members. His other series, Sevens, is fantastic because the MC isn't trying to build a harem but he does and they're constantly at each other's throats (Sometimes literally) and there's nothing he can do about it.

I'm Not Even an NPC In This Otome Game!

quote:

Description
Taichi was reincarnated as Isaac, an apprentice gardener in the world of an otome game. But, looking back, Isaac wasn't even part of the game... This is the story of the interweaving lives of the Duke's daughter, Lydia, and a boy who isn't even an NPC.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Over the years I keep seeing suggestions on different platforms for twelve kingdoms. Seems like there's about 45 episodes or so? I guess I'm wondering if anyone can recommend it and/or is it a complete story or was it unfinished?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the books continued past the end of the anime. there were some plot hooks for future volumes that the anime never followed up on. but the anime story is complete and coherent, yeah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter of https://mangadex.org/title/d7f927c8-c1f5-474e-bb3d-57da04be7662/sentai-red-isekai-de-boukensha-ni-naru
"trigger harpy" for a harpy with gatling guns for legs is a great name

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just realized after reading that chapter that it's setting up this series' version of Forever Red. AND also includes the Edgy Future Version Of The Hero Who Has Lost All His Loved Ones In The Bad Future But He's Stoic And Cool And Scarred Now. I love this goofy rear end series :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

new chapter of https://mangadex.org/title/d7f927c8-c1f5-474e-bb3d-57da04be7662/sentai-red-isekai-de-boukensha-ni-naru
"trigger harpy" for a harpy with gatling guns for legs is a great name
Oh man, these guys look tough and I'm sure the fights are going to be pretty bombastic

I love this joke so much

The chapter itself has a lot to chew on. Despite playing it off it's probably going to be made clear that over the millenia Uragiris actually does care about the Demi-human nation beyond using them as resources and research material. And despite all the time he's had, his idea for the strongest anti-demon weapon was his greatest enemy so it's clear he's got a lot of respect for Red's strength. I can't imagine he couldn't have found another target within the multi-verse of created a chimera that could have rivaled Red with all the time he's had and knowing he's the one who made many of the legendary weapons. On top of this Red can clearly see the good Uragiris has actually done to this kingdom so if those two are going to be Tsundere about forming a Bond; I can wait for them to realize they can at the very least respect each others' work.

Lastly, I find it interesting that there seems to exist an Idola in other Red Ranger's native universes rather than her only being encountered after they get Isekai'd. Except for the "Bad End" Red Ranger.

Captain Invictus posted:

I just realized after reading that chapter that it's setting up this series' version of Forever Red. AND also includes the Edgy Future Version Of The Hero Who Has Lost All His Loved Ones In The Bad Future But He's Stoic And Cool And Scarred Now. I love this goofy rear end series :allears:
I also thought about the last two episodes of the 90's Spider-man animated TV series. In which a bunch of different spider-men are summoned to save the multi-verse and one of them is just an actor in a spider-man costume. He winds up being more useful than half the other Spider-men in that entire scenario as well.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
100gf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wrong thread

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Isekai'd from England.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CommieGIR posted:

Wrong thread

Yeah as great as 100gf is, it has no elements of isekai. Yet.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Ah gently caress i just clicked "Thread for posting"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Placing my bet on a female knight/Squire that was accidentally sent to his world.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd pencil that in for a girlfriend in the 60s or so, when he starts running out of original ideas and gets weird with it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

the bard is close

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A custom brought up the series Omniscient Reader. I think it’s Korean. Anyone here know anything about it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's extremely good. I think it's actually the only Korean WN I've read in its entirety. It starts from one of the standard Korean WN premises but gradually turns into something much more interesting. A lot like SSS Rank Suicide Hunter, actually.

The manwha adaptation is also good, and has good translators who write a lot of informative notes at the end of each chapter.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 10, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

A custom brought up the series Omniscient Reader. I think it’s Korean. Anyone here know anything about it?

its neat. One of the few long running novels I actually finished and its complete (and its not one of the ungodly long ones that are like 4000 chapters long, so that's great as well), and has a lot of roller coaster events and reveals. Can't comment on the webtoon.

premise is MC enjoys reading a particular not really popular webnovel and for some reason, just seems to eventually be the only one that follows the chapters each release and only commenter each chapter. But anyway finds himself in it. So he knows what's going to happen is his cheat.

the webnovel world itself is a typical korean survival story where participants are summoned in and have to play a bunch of games and tests while being watched by gods and other mythological entities as past-time like a twitch channel, and get stronger by being sponsor'd. But early stuff ends up with the MC trying to make connections with the real very cautious main character of the webnovel without being too suspicious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a mc whose defining trait is his terrible taste in webnovels is very relatable. picture a scene where an enemy is in disbelief at the unexpected power level of a mc, as seen in pretty much every single shounen fighting manga ever made. except, the power level is his ability to get through really bad amateur fiction.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like ones where they're fans of the work they're transported into and not just familiar with it. It makes more sense how they would recognize scenes and character motivations if they've obsessed over them. I've read hundreds of novels and if you dropped me into all but a handful of them I would be like "what's this guy's name again?" Your run of the mill generic fantasy story doesn't stick with me since I've already read all the variations it feels like.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Speaking of SSS-Rank Suicide Hunter, the latest arc has been going really loving hard in the paint, holy poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeeeeeeesssssss it looks good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPRnHQJrws&hd=1

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

This video is not available where I am, what is it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Argue posted:

This video is not available where I am, what is it

Anime trailer for The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
"Hero's Party Want to Experience LOVE" is an isekai, right?

On rereading chapter 1, it should have been obvious to me that Shaayu was a woman based on her figure when she took her breastplate off. I guess I don't pay enough attention. Why does Itsuka get jealous when other characters flirt with Shaayu if he doesn't like it when Shaayu flirts with him?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nebrilos posted:

On rereading chapter 1, it should have been obvious to me that Shaayu was a woman based on her figure when she took her breastplate off. I guess I don't pay enough attention. Why does Itsuka get jealous when other characters flirt with Shaayu if he doesn't like it when Shaayu flirts with him?

Shaayu knows, and I think the oneshots premise was that he doesnt.
And it has isekaid characters but none of main cast are isekaid persons.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Haystack posted:

Speaking of SSS-Rank Suicide Hunter, the latest arc has been going really loving hard in the paint, holy poo poo

The glitching of the system was fantastic and leans into the better aspects of the story. The romance of this arc is actively killing my interest in the series as a whole. This arc has some of the same things people complained about in the previous one, but now I'm on board with seeing them as problems. It's really hard to get invested in Raviel as a character knowing the best case scenario is that she might show up again later in the series for a brief moment but ultimately she's likely to never leave this floor. If the story really wanted him to learn what love is the Witch of the Black Dragon was right there. They have chemistry and unlike any of these book people, she's absolutely going to have a presence going into the future. This book had room for 2-3 more people to tag along and the witch is a secret lover of romance novels. Why the story only brought the inquisitor along confused me until I realized it was only so the MC would realize his powers would stick around even if he lost himself in his character.

If the villainess hadn't been a primary love interest, and maybe the MC and the Witch were inserted as characters that were actually interested in each other. I could tolerate this arc more because it would mean realizing that Raviel is the linchpin despite being the typically discarded badguy character. So giving her "time off" and indulging her in a break from having to carry the empire by day and fight her own demons every night could be more satisfying. But every time the MC and her get all lovey dovey I can't buy into it for a second. It's a fake love by default and further came at the expense of learning anything more about the Inquisitor. When Poison Viper in the previous arc got neglected, it was fine for me because he's a joke character so I put less stock in him. But the Inquisitor had a huge role in the massacre that allowed all the leaders to establish their positions, as well as a huge personality defect. So far none of that has been explored in an arc tailor made to help the guy with no emotions do something about that.

And while I was excited to see someone else who was a regressor partner up with Kim. And this is still the best part of the arc where both of them can use their powers in tandem. I'm all but certain even with the very touching action of allowing her to remember even Kim's loops, it's going to go nowhere for her in the long run. Story isn't terrible but I didn't bother reading the last few chapters until I saw your post and assumed something good had actually happened.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

All I'll say in response is that the author addresses these issues, so don't worry too much.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

This was a very long post to say you liked another waifu more.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

That's certainly a takeaway. But if you actually want to hear me rant about waifu's I could talk about how this arc could have benefited from more of best girl.

I really miss her.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

All I'll say in response is that the author addresses these issues, so don't worry too much.
I hope so.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Nah I agree with him. If you're gonna put the MC in a relationship don't just jerk the audience around by making the FL suddenly disappear from existence as soon as more plot needs to happen.

That poo poo is the reason I stopped reading Martial Art Reigns. I was legit so upset that the author wasted so much of my time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nebrilos posted:

If a guy that says sweet nothings to any girl hanging off their arm tried to flirt with you, would you actually believe them to be sincere?
Shaayu may be a woman but she's still presenting as a womanizer.

Plus, Itsuka wants to be popular and he probably sees Shaayu as stealing all the attention.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Brought To You By posted:

The glitching of the system was fantastic and leans into the better aspects of the story. The romance of this arc is actively killing my interest in the series as a whole. This arc has some of the same things people complained about in the previous one, but now I'm on board with seeing them as problems. It's really hard to get invested in Raviel as a character knowing the best case scenario is that she might show up again later in the series for a brief moment but ultimately she's likely to never leave this floor. If the story really wanted him to learn what love is the Witch of the Black Dragon was right there. They have chemistry and unlike any of these book people, she's absolutely going to have a presence going into the future. This book had room for 2-3 more people to tag along and the witch is a secret lover of romance novels. Why the story only brought the inquisitor along confused me until I realized it was only so the MC would realize his powers would stick around even if he lost himself in his character.

If the villainess hadn't been a primary love interest, and maybe the MC and the Witch were inserted as characters that were actually interested in each other. I could tolerate this arc more because it would mean realizing that Raviel is the linchpin despite being the typically discarded badguy character. So giving her "time off" and indulging her in a break from having to carry the empire by day and fight her own demons every night could be more satisfying. But every time the MC and her get all lovey dovey I can't buy into it for a second. It's a fake love by default and further came at the expense of learning anything more about the Inquisitor. When Poison Viper in the previous arc got neglected, it was fine for me because he's a joke character so I put less stock in him. But the Inquisitor had a huge role in the massacre that allowed all the leaders to establish their positions, as well as a huge personality defect. So far none of that has been explored in an arc tailor made to help the guy with no emotions do something about that.

And while I was excited to see someone else who was a regressor partner up with Kim. And this is still the best part of the arc where both of them can use their powers in tandem. I'm all but certain even with the very touching action of allowing her to remember even Kim's loops, it's going to go nowhere for her in the long run. Story isn't terrible but I didn't bother reading the last few chapters until I saw your post and assumed something good had actually happened.

You're missing the point of Raviel's actual character role, though. The thing Raviel can do but the Black Dragon Witch can't is say, "You need to value yourself more." No matter how much BDW came to care about Gong-ja, she couldn't do that, because the Tower is too important to her. Too much has been lost for her not to take advantage of him. But Raviel is a regressor and she's spent her life putting her own needs last, so she can say, "You aren't allowed to die until you've exhausted every other option."

Like, you can complain about her having a relatively limited role, but it's a role that straight-up couldn't have been performed by any other character in the story.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Einander posted:

[/spoiler]

I'm not missing the point. BDW doesn't need to be the one in this arc telling Kim anything about the powers she doesn't know he has (yet). I'm saying if there needs to be romance, have it directed at someone Kim has some level of feelings for already and isn't a character that is trapped in a book. On top of that Kim's feelings are not his own and the influence of Lady Goldy and the Butler are like a drug for anyone playing their role. Literally overriding their own will and memories in a messed up tug-of-war.

I like Raviel being a fellow regressor trapped in her own hell, I like that she serves as a cautionary tale for how love, duty, and self sacrifice can lead to hurting yourself and helping no-one. I'd like it if she could just be a source of some good advice and warning as the two try and avert the destruction of the world. But every time the story frames their interactions as this passionate love I just can't get into. On top of that everything Kim has done; fighting her demons at night, helping her have a vacation from the aristocracy, using his meeting with the pillars to allow her memories to pair with his looping. All of that would still happen if he wasn't "in love" with her because he's just a genuinely kind person and that last point is the crux of the entire plan to end this apocalypse.

But I'm going to take Neoman's word on it that the author is going to address it. I just hope it's somewhat satisfying.

Kyte posted:

If a guy that says sweet nothings to any girl hanging off their arm tried to flirt with you, would you actually believe them to be sincere?
Shaayu may be a woman but she's still presenting as a womanizer.

Plus, Itsuka wants to be popular and he probably sees Shaayu as stealing all the attention.
I was just surprised the serialization made this not a secret from Itsuka but I'm for it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brought To You By posted:

I'm not missing the point. BDW doesn't need to be the one in this arc telling Kim anything about the powers she doesn't know he has (yet). I'm saying if there needs to be romance, have it directed at someone Kim has some level of feelings for already and isn't a character that is trapped in a book.

I must be crazy but I did not even consider MC seeing potion lady as a love interest. he knew, as being a regressor, how rough she had it at the beginning trying to prove herself and he helped her get going faster. if he smiles or she smiles I take it as only platonic on both their mutual benefit and friendship .

quote:

But every time the story frames their interactions as this passionate love I just can't get into. On top of that everything Kim has done; fighting her demons at night, helping her have a vacation from the aristocracy, using his meeting with the pillars to allow her memories to pair with his looping. All of that would still happen if he wasn't "in love" with her because he's just a genuinely kind person and that last point is the crux of the entire plan to end this apocalypse.

I was frustrated and was plodding through the snow world arc when it was releasing . Then it started ramping up and I could not let go and the pay off was huge. I am giving the author a chance to do the same thing and just bracing through this whole real life / dating sim. breaking the whole game system wondering if the NPC or the barely human version of the MC should go back was some great stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man I loving love any sufficiently advanced medicine is indistinguishable from magic. two more chapters dropped, and just casually teaching vampires how to make tortillas to treat their weakness to the sun lol

also I noticed Amami suddenly looks way more mature and like an adult, he seemed kinda kiddy and "softer" before but these chapters he definitely feels like they aged him up a bit, which makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Same group as sufficiently advanced medicine also dropped a couple chapters of Behind the battle of the Hero and the Demon King, nice to see it moving out of that battle and on to further developments.