Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ligmar balls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tragic page break.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

What's Ligmar?

Not much what's balls with you?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a bit of Rollerdrome on gamepass yesterday and game's neat but probably not something I'm going to play much more of. The controls feel a bit wonky and having to flip around and do tricks for ammo means I'm usually grabbing and rotating the same way every time I go over a jump just to get ammo back and the actual skating itself doesn't feel that great. You can't fall as far as I can tell so there's never any real reason not to roll and spin for as long as you can on every jump, which is probably the better way to do it if you're also being asked to shoot and dodge and stuff, but it makes the skating part not all that satisfying. I love the look of the game- the setting, the title cards, absolutely no complaints there. Just not really feeling the actual gameplay part all that much unfortunately.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

That Dang Dad posted:

This just unlocked a powerful memory of the boy who reversed himself and the twin who used a micro black hole to age faster than his brother.

And Interstellar Pig!

Oh man. Learning about Ana and Kata blew my miiiiind.

Also learning that the correct thing to do with your time machine would be to go back in time and steal it over and over so now you have more time machines.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 29, 2023

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ligmar updarg

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

ligmar updarg

A new and terrifying orc ork Orruk warlord who rages across the Mortal Realms, with lightning strikes and sudden withdrawals that leave his enemies exposed for a follow-up assault that frequently blindsides them.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

this was actually a point of contention on social media last week. mike rose, head of publisher house 'no more robots', talked about how he had an icky feeling about paying youtubers to cover/review the games he publishes (such as Spirittea) because it felt like payola. he then got blasted by a ton of youtubers and youtubers-in-training that his thinking was backwards and he needed to Do Better (tm). so everyone just expects payola now.

i saw one tweet from a developer that said a youtuber asked for $60k in exchange for covering a game, so that's how lucrative sponsorship deals are now i guess for the multi-million subbed channels. the only reason the FTC hasn't stepped in is likely because they're not paying attention and mostly old-media focused

I interpreted Mike's tweets as just feeling icky about normal sponsored streams, not that he was casually dropping that there's illegal payola schemes going on. Depending on which read you had you're gonna have vastly different responses, which is the main reason it was contentious I think.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

disposablewords posted:

A new and terrifying orc ork Orruk warlord who rages across the Mortal Realms, with lightning strikes and sudden withdrawals that leave his enemies exposed for a follow-up assault that frequently blindsides them.

if there are any game developers browsing this thread my associate and I have a pitch for you

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New humble bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fight-t1d-with-jrpgs

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Good bundle. A lot of stuff I had my eyes on.

Edit:

explosivo posted:

I played a bit of Rollerdrome on gamepass yesterday and game's neat but probably not something I'm going to play much more of. The controls feel a bit wonky and having to flip around and do tricks for ammo means I'm usually grabbing and rotating the same way every time I go over a jump just to get ammo back and the actual skating itself doesn't feel that great. You can't fall as far as I can tell so there's never any real reason not to roll and spin for as long as you can on every jump, which is probably the better way to do it if you're also being asked to shoot and dodge and stuff, but it makes the skating part not all that satisfying. I love the look of the game- the setting, the title cards, absolutely no complaints there. Just not really feeling the actual gameplay part all that much unfortunately.

One of the more obvious aesthetics are going to write a check that the gameplay can't cash in recent years.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 29, 2023

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Every act in BG3 gets better as it goes along, and each act is better than the previous. Well, not the final act, but that's short.

I enjoyed this statement given there are only three acts. Also act 3 is fricking huge if you do side quests, but the only strictly necessary one is house of hope. Do that, then you can close the game knowing it has peaked.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I kept reading about how House of Hope is so cool so I pushed through and did it a while back and it was awful because oh my god I can't stand musicals :argh: I can see why other people like it but I wish I had spoiled myself on what it was first so I could have not wasted the time. The whole gimmick there is it's a boring fight where one of the main characters of the game/the enemy in the fight sings a cringey Disney song while they fight you

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 29, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It feels like there are dozens of similar looking Warhammer games releasing all the time anymore so I'm surprised someone thought any particular one would stand out as a mega hit.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am confused by Myths of Rules, a text-based horror game by Chinese devs with a... workable translation. You click from node to node, drag nodes around, and it tells weird, interesting stories. I can't tell if they're helped by the weird translation or not, but it really feels like I've entered a strange, nightmarish like realm.

It's about 2$ so I'm happy but I don't know if I'd want this for any more... but man, I love the concept and would love to see more writers try it.

This seems like a pretty cool idea for a phone game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

there's a goddamn fully working Tie Fighter remake in an upgraded xwing alliance engine with the entire campaign and xpacks already in. They are even mostly finished with reimagined versions of the entire campaign + xpacks taking advantage of the expanded limit on ships so missions don't have to be broken up. Holy gently caress! I don't think there's a space sim thread or I'd post this there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upph89LYOUM

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FuzzySlippers posted:

there's a goddamn fully working Tie Fighter remake in an upgraded xwing alliance engine with the entire campaign and xpacks already in. They are even mostly finished with reimagined versions of the entire campaign + xpacks taking advantage of the expanded limit on ships so missions don't have to be broken up. Holy gently caress! I don't think there's a space sim thread or I'd post this there.

Wow drat, I had no idea this was out there.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Give Disney a minute

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Freebies!

Lumencraft - TAKEN
Paint The Town Red - I7D9A-F320L-RL236
God of Weapons - TAKEN
CRYPTARK - 8LF8E-7VZ9H-2IZ53

FlowerOfInfinity fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 30, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Don Quiballs posted:

God of Weapons - JNJNR-2P20Y-NPVIC

thanks

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Don Quiballs posted:

Lumencraft - EV7G5-XKGZ9-MBHCJ
snaked this, thank you!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

he's dead, restart steam

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FuzzySlippers posted:

It feels like there are dozens of similar looking Warhammer games releasing all the time anymore so I'm surprised someone thought any particular one would stand out as a mega hit.

This seems like a pretty cool idea for a phone game.

Yeah it would work pretty well on a phone from what I've played. It's a little more than a straight text adventure though with some fun puzzles and weirdness associated with the flowchart medium, like early in the tutorial you're instructed to move a bookcase and you actually have to click and drag the "Bookcase" flowchart node around in order to do so.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I kept reading about how House of Hope is so cool so I pushed through and did it a while back and it was awful because oh my god I can't stand musicals :argh: I can see why other people like it but I wish I had spoiled myself on what it was first so I could have not wasted the time. The whole gimmick there is it's a boring fight where one of the main characters of the game/the enemy in the fight sings a cringey Disney song while they fight you

Bad opinion.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Adding it to my long list of ddpm's bad opinions on things

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

FuzzySlippers posted:

Dang, that looks amazing! I've been half considering replaying some of the old Star Wars space sims after playing the hell out of Squadrons a few years ago and I may give this a shot in the near future.

It reminded me to check in with the remaster mod for the original Xwing that I'm pretty sure I've been following for over a decade at this point. It still hasn't released yet, but the demos they show off for it look incredible and it seems to be pretty feature complete. Maybe next year is finally the year for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmxIqoBOSgc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Played some more Control the other day. That game does not gently caress around, I died more than five times to the very first boss.

As expected, I'm not sure what's going on, but I do like the vibes and atmosphere after some initial misgivings. It's kind of...Twin Peaks? Lovecraft? Magical realism meets horror? There's probably a more apt comparison, but regardless, I enjoy it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

explosivo posted:

No joke, Rollerdrome is the oldest a game has ever made me feel by trying to play it.

Trying to control that game made me think it's time to go gamer dad and exclusively play Rollercoaster Tycoon or point and click adventures

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 30, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Played some more Control the other day. That game does not gently caress around, I died more than five times to the very first boss.

As expected, I'm not sure what's going on, but I do like the vibes and atmosphere after some initial misgivings. It's kind of...Twin Peaks? Lovecraft? Magical realism meets horror? There's probably a more apt comparison, but regardless, I enjoy it.

it's scp, a spooky amateur fiction in the form of a wiki.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

explosivo posted:

I am going to offer another view in that I loved Rollerdrome, probably the most fun I had with an action game last year and that was the year I played DUSK. It just feels amazing when you get into a flow state of stunting/dodging and shooting people up, I really loved how the challenges pushed you into testing the boundaries of what can be done and the seriously absurd scaling that happens through the game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Jokymi posted:

Dang, that looks amazing! I've been half considering replaying some of the old Star Wars space sims after playing the hell out of Squadrons a few years ago and I may give this a shot in the near future.

It reminded me to check in with the remaster mod for the original Xwing that I'm pretty sure I've been following for over a decade at this point. It still hasn't released yet, but the demos they show off for it look incredible and it seems to be pretty feature complete. Maybe next year is finally the year for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmxIqoBOSgc

that looks really cool. I've returned to Tie Fighter a couple times over the years but I haven't touched X-Wing since before TF released so it'd be all fresh to me. I remember the missions being so much more difficult than TF but maybe I was just younger and worse at sims. I don't think I ever got anywhere in the xpacks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, it has a really fun tone, landing an interesting balance between there being very weird poo poo going on, but also that weird poo poo sort of adhering to some sort of underlying logic. I could tell I was in for something special when one of the first memos I found went something like: "Do not bring any of these items into the building: weapons, laptops, smart devices, anything that can be considered an iconic representation of an archetypal concept" :allears:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also the combat in Control isn't that great, I turned on god-mode half way in and don't regret it, it's still a great game

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Phlegmish posted:

If you ever reach a point where the gently caress-around-ness tips over into being annoying, don't hesitate to boost your health a bit or something in the settings menu. No shame in it, I did so most of the early game during my recent replay because I just wanted to marinate in the vibes.

I enjoy the combat myself, though I know not everyone does.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ZearothK posted:

I am going to offer another view in that I loved Rollerdrome, probably the most fun I had with an action game last year and that was the year I played DUSK. It just feels amazing when you get into a flow state of stunting/dodging and shooting people up, I really loved how the challenges pushed you into testing the boundaries of what can be done and the seriously absurd scaling that happens through the game.

Yeah, I'm in the Rollerdrome=Awesome camp too. The game does get hectic, but the various weapons do a different job against different foes, and you do end up developing some kind of flow. And well, you do learn the maps and the main spawns for each stage, which turns seemingly stupid impossible stages into pretty manageable challenges.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Phlegmish posted:

It's been a while since I played but I recall the first boss being an oversized challenge because you don't have a lot of tools to fight it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

The first boss is easy if you (mechanical thing you might want to figure out on your own but the game will never tell you) don’t wait for stuff you pick up with launch to get all the way to Jesse before you throw it.

This is super handy on all sorts of flying enemies or enemies that are behind cover through the entire game too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

That's the hardest boss in the game. It's a weird spike where you have to face something that hits really hard with very limited options to deal with him on your end. It's smooth sailing after that. Max out launch first then put them into whatever you want after that. I love the game and its combat but the skill tree and mod system are really half-baked. I hope they either scrap it in the sequel or do something more interesting with it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

The stuff you're gonna wanna be careful about throughout the game is enemies using launch against you. They stay dangerous, even with upgraded health.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

those floaty assholes that juke your launches will usually get got if you launch one then immediately launch again. i guess the juke has a cooldown or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, that's a reason to build for launch. The double tap always works.