Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

euphronius posted:

If you want to see some poo poo , download Edge and glance at its default home page

Don't encourage self harm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It’s crazy to think that to many Boomers, the default front page full of fake news and scam poo poo IS the internet

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Original_Z posted:

For some reason the main google.com page now has a bunch of news articles at the bottom of the search window. Whatever, I don't care either way normally, but I've noticed a lot of those news stories are not good. I've been linked to parody news sites which gave me an article title that surprised me so I clicked through (I guess they got me) and it was obviously satire, and scaremongering "if you're a parent you NEED to know about these new iPhone features to protect your kid's safety!!!" nonsense. Like, if it was normal news reports about current events of the day then I could see some value, but what is this poo poo? I even checked news.google.com to see if somehow the algorithm would normally feed me that nonsense and that's where it came from, but no, I just get normal relevant daily news on that.

euphronius posted:

If you want to see some poo poo , download Edge and glance at its default home page

Yeah, I went through this same rude awakening when I got a job where I had to use Edge. It was like my racist uncle was sharing articles with me on Facebook again. This is what PC users see by default now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s literally 100% trump all the time no matter what is happening

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

euphronius posted:

My homepage has been about :blank for decades

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

An old lady who used to work at the local health care center told me that D.A.T.A. meant "Dubbelt Arbete Till Alla" which translated to english doesn't work, but means roughly "double the work for everyone".

She sounds pretty ignorant, you should probably take less talking points from old ladies

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

euphronius posted:

It’s literally 100% trump all the time no matter what is happening

For me it was all Desantis, all the time. Also unlimited clickbait articles that were some variation of "10 things boomers are right about, zoomers hate this!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess I got lucky, for me it's 100% celebrity gossip about celebrities I never heard of on Edge, and 100% fake science news (think ancient aliens) and tech scams on Chrome.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

I'd be more likely to use Edge if it wasn't for the default homepage. Yes, I can change it, but the fact that's Microsoft choice pisses me off.

Then, when I'm downloading Chrome, Edge is like "Are you sure? I'm a really good browser, and fast! Please don't leave..."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Chad Edge vs the Incel Microsoft

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

this reminds me when i had to do a fresh install of Firefox and got a bit lazy in locking it down and not having all that engagement bullshit. even FF's home splash screen of a bunch of clickbait news bullshit.

lol is this what normal people see the internet as?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PhazonLink posted:

lol is this what normal people see the internet as?

No, it's what the internet actually is

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean i have ublocker and noscript so i see ad free websites.

also even though i dont doomscroll news on my phone, or even have news apps, I learned about important newsevents before some dumbass "i like to keep informed and subscribe to ....." types.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

teen witch posted:

Update on this bullshit new Chrome version:

- thank you for automatically downloading PDFs, something I never consented to, a great way of Keeping Me Safe. Thankfully that’s fixable, but what the hell.

- moving someone from or to CC requires a full minute on Gmail.

Always fun dealing with the constant fight of who gets to be PDF reader. No matter how many times I tell it Sumatra, Edge or Chrome will end up taking it over or loading it directly instead of just downloading it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

My homepage has been about :blank for decades

IIRC you can't do this on Edge. Needed a browser extension for it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It works for what's technically the home page but not the new tab "empty" page (which is of course different because gently caress the user) :capitalism:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alright I have known for years that AdBlock isn't the best ad blocker browser extension, but it has always done the job well enough just running silently in the background and I guess I've been too lazy to try out any others since it never did anything to piss me off.

The latest update has three new 'features':

1) It allows 'appropriate' ads, from some sort of whitelist that I guess the extension makers curate?
2) Now introducing AdBlock VPN! Sign up Today! We're going to remind you about this every now and then.
3) It displays ads for itself loving constantly with a bigass popup going "AdBlock has blocked x amount of adverts today! Why not give us money?"

gently caress you.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

steinrokkan posted:

No, it's what the internet actually is

if you took away the internet people would have to go back to watching tv or reading magazines on the shitter to get their self inflicted advertising enema

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

Alright I have known for years that AdBlock isn't the best ad blocker browser extension, but it has always done the job well enough just running silently in the background and I guess I've been too lazy to try out any others since it never did anything to piss me off.

The latest update has three new 'features':

1) It allows 'appropriate' ads, from some sort of whitelist that I guess the extension makers curate?
2) Now introducing AdBlock VPN! Sign up Today! We're going to remind you about this every now and then.
3) It displays ads for itself loving constantly with a bigass popup going "AdBlock has blocked x amount of adverts today! Why not give us money?"

gently caress you.

This is true of most adblockers, the reason ublock origin is the preferred/good one is because it's open source. Nearly every other ad blocker is owned by an ad agency whose purpose is to sell advertising space to ad-blocking users. Here's a page from the company that owns Adblock bragging to advertisers about their ability to serve ads to ad-filtering users:
https://eyeo.com/solutions/advertisers

Eyeo acquired another company about a year ago that's focused on "ad-blocking revenue recovery" (https://www.adexchanger.com/online-advertising/eyeo-owner-of-adblock-plus-is-acquiring-blockthrough-with-a-focus-on-ad-filtering/) and I guess they just now implemented it? But I thought they had been whitelisting their 'preferred sponsors' for years

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I ranted about this in another thread the other day but movie streaming is absolute dogshit now. The quality of the stream is getting worse while the price goes up, and I have to subscribe to myriad different services to get even a fraction of what I want to watch. Every studio has its own streaming service or 'channel' through Prime video now. The '4k' streams look worse than a regular blu ray, especially in films where there are any scenes that are lit with less than total daylight. Which is every film except most of Midsommar.

Remember how iTunes started offering music at a reasonable price (albeit with the shittiest interface I'd ever used at the time) and music piracy started to die really quickly? Then music streaming services came along and pirating music barely existed (at least compared to ~2000). Movie studios seem to be doing everything they can to make us pirate all of their poo poo because you have to loving research which combination of services you need in order to watch certain films. And then when you do get to watch them, the video and audio quality is significantly worse than a pirated copy that I could download in less than 5 minutes. And with the lovely 'FreeVee' thing on Prime now, there's a good chance you'll have to sit through ads while watching the film that you already loving paid for, which also disables the neat Watch Party feature.

This poo poo is actually making me nostalgic for the time I used to live next door to a Blockbuster Video store. I would go there multiple times a week, and it cost less than lovely streaming now.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is true of most adblockers, the reason ublock origin is the preferred/good one is because it's open source. Nearly every other ad blocker is owned by an ad agency whose purpose is to sell advertising space to ad-blocking users. Here's a page from the company that owns Adblock bragging to advertisers about their ability to serve ads to ad-filtering users:
https://eyeo.com/solutions/advertisers

Eyeo acquired another company about a year ago that's focused on "ad-blocking revenue recovery" (https://www.adexchanger.com/online-advertising/eyeo-owner-of-adblock-plus-is-acquiring-blockthrough-with-a-focus-on-ad-filtering/) and I guess they just now implemented it? But I thought they had been whitelisting their 'preferred sponsors' for years

Funnily enough I just installed ublock origin just before I posted that, because I remembered it being highly recommended. Like I said, AdBlock had never once seemed intrusive or failed to block ads until a recent update, and now it might as well not exist because its own ads are more intrusive than ads in general.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

I ranted about this in another thread the other day but movie streaming is absolute dogshit now. The quality of the stream is getting worse while the price goes up, and I have to subscribe to myriad different services to get even a fraction of what I want to watch. Every studio has its own streaming service or 'channel' through Prime video now. The '4k' streams look worse than a regular blu ray, especially in films where there are any scenes that are lit with less than total daylight. Which is every film except most of Midsommar.

Remember how iTunes started offering music at a reasonable price (albeit with the shittiest interface I'd ever used at the time) and music piracy started to die really quickly? Then music streaming services came along and pirating music barely existed (at least compared to ~2000). Movie studios seem to be doing everything they can to make us pirate all of their poo poo because you have to loving research which combination of services you need in order to watch certain films. And then when you do get to watch them, the video and audio quality is significantly worse than a pirated copy that I could download in less than 5 minutes. And with the lovely 'FreeVee' thing on Prime now, there's a good chance you'll have to sit through ads while watching the film that you already loving paid for, which also disables the neat Watch Party feature.

This poo poo is actually making me nostalgic for the time I used to live next door to a Blockbuster Video store. I would go there multiple times a week, and it cost less than lovely streaming now.

I said so a couple weeks ago and lol it's still the case, but the Paramount app straight up just doesn't work anymore and even clearing the cache doesn't fix it. Amazing.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

skooma512 posted:

I said so a couple weeks ago and lol it's still the case, but the Paramount app straight up just doesn't work anymore and even clearing the cache doesn't fix it. Amazing.

I factory reset my fire TV cube and it still doesn't work lol I'm cancelling all of this poo poo, gently caress it I'll learn 2023 piracy

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Somebody already mentioned this, but it’s loving infuriating that when you turn on a FireTV now, it automatically runs an ad before going to the input screen. Like an actual commercial. Yeah, you can click out of it currently, but that’s not going to last.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

skooma512 posted:

they already solved the piracy problem! they made it possible to get content at an affordable price that made consumers happy and everyone started paying that price instead of pirating!

Then the movie studios went "haha no gently caress you pay us 4x as much for worse quality" and they can't figure out why subscriptions are dropping, while Elon Musk blames it on "woke".

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hmmm should I go with the cheaper, more flexible, more convenient option or go with streaming? Golly I just don't know.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Quote-Unquote posted:

Remember how iTunes started offering music at a reasonable price (albeit with the shittiest interface I'd ever used at the time) and music piracy started to die really quickly? Then music streaming services came along and pirating music barely existed (at least compared to ~2000). Movie studios seem to be doing everything they can to make us pirate all of their poo poo because you have to loving research which combination of services you need in order to watch certain films. And then when you do get to watch them, the video and audio quality is significantly worse than a pirated copy that I could download in less than 5 minutes.

I've said before that one of the biggest successes of things like Netflix/iTunes was that it killed off a lot of institutional knowledge of how to pirate stuff. Even people who were once able to get ahold of stuff are stuck in the streaming groove because they've been out of the game for a decade. I've had a couple conversations where people are like "can you still torrent stuff? what's the good site nowadays?" It's only the weirdos (myself included) who never switched over in the first place that still have the active accounts in private trackers and whatnot.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Quote-Unquote posted:

they already solved the piracy problem! they made it possible to get content at an affordable price that made consumers happy and everyone started paying that price instead of pirating!

Then the movie studios went "haha no gently caress you pay us 4x as much for worse quality" and they can't figure out why subscriptions are dropping, while Elon Musk blames it on "woke".

it turns out that it's really cheap to supply content when you don't have to pay the writers or actors any residuals

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

Hmmm should I go with the cheaper, more flexible, more convenient option or go with streaming? Golly I just don't know.

I swear you were arguing with me the other day for buying blu rays, which remains the only way of legally watching films at home in not-poo poo quality.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The microsoft windows search bar often has a little selection of trending searches in my country (Canada) One of the main ones was "trump news today." I can't imagine caring about what lil Donny did to look him up each day. Some people are weird. (Yeah I know about his trials but honestly it got tiresome to follow after a while.)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cerekk posted:

it turns out that it's really cheap to supply content when you don't have to pay the writers or actors any residuals

I want the writers and actors to get paid, that's why I don't want to pirate films, but they're making it very difficult to do that.

I was watching Mr Robot when it suddenly got removed from Prime. The cover image still has "Amazon Prime Original" on it but it's no longer included. It is not on any streaming service available to me. Can I just send some cash in the post to Esmail and Ramek to watch the rest of it?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Violet_Sky posted:

The microsoft windows search bar often has a little selection of trending searches in my country (Canada) One of the main ones was "trump news today." I can't imagine caring about what lil Donny did to look him up each day. Some people are weird. (Yeah I know about his trials but honestly it got tiresome to follow after a while.)

there was an article a while back about how Microsoft turned the curation of that stuff over to an AI and now that algorithm is just mainlining the hardest-core right-wing chud and Nazi poo poo to the mainpage of Bing lol

and of course, the solution is to not do gently caress-all about it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Rochallor posted:

I've said before that one of the biggest successes of things like Netflix/iTunes was that it killed off a lot of institutional knowledge of how to pirate stuff. Even people who were once able to get ahold of stuff are stuck in the streaming groove because they've been out of the game for a decade. I've had a couple conversations where people are like "can you still torrent stuff? what's the good site nowadays?" It's only the weirdos (myself included) who never switched over in the first place that still have the active accounts in private trackers and whatnot.

Pirate Bay is still good enough. The meta largely hasn’t changed other than you should definitely use a vpn. Though many other stalwart public trackers have gone down. Private trackers have always come and gone.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

skooma512 posted:

Pirate Bay is still good enough. The meta largely hasn’t changed other than you should definitely use a vpn. Though many other stalwart public trackers have gone down. Private trackers have always come and gone.

use a vpn, tpb, 1337x and whatever private trackers you can get ahold of. It's pretty much that.

There's not a whole lot of institutional knowledge around install a client like qbittorrent, hide your ip and click a link, unless you're treating a 20 year old private tracker like a dragon's hoard.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 1, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The constant need to squeeze even loyal AdBlock users out of their complacency is something to behold.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 1, 2023

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

MrQwerty posted:

use a vpn, tpb, 1337x and whatever private trackers you can get ahold of. It's pretty much that.

There's not a whole lot of institutional knowledge around install a client like qbittorrent, hide your ip and click a link, unless you're treating a 20 year old private tracker like a dragon's hoard.

just don't download games off anything but a private unless you want to mine bitcoin through a tasty malware treat.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

shirunei posted:

just don't download games off anything but a private unless you want to mine bitcoin through a tasty malware treat.

It's not that quite that bad, but I also know how to tell them apart.

But I also just stick to fitgirl repacks for the most part. She has her own site with magnet links so you don't need to seek them out anywhere else.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

skooma512 posted:

It's not that quite that bad, but I also know how to tell them apart.

But I also just stick to fitgirl repacks for the most part. She has her own site with magnet links so you don't need to seek them out anywhere else.

yeah fitgirl is fine

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I swear you were arguing with me the other day for buying blu rays, which remains the only way of legally watching films at home in not-poo poo quality.

Yes I was. Blu-ray aren't convenient and you can download "not poo poo" quality easily. If you have hangups on the legality then lol whatever you can have your worse more expensive experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Rochallor posted:

Just do what I do and have a friend who has a seedbox hooked up to Plex and has semi-automated the download of basically every single movie and show in existence including new stuff coming out because she's unemployed and dealing with crippling anxiety and also maybe has a bit of a data hoarding problem