Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Lid posted:

Henkas own and they should be done more often.

Terunofuji's greatest moment was in his first makuuchi run when he stopped an old guy getting ozeki again by henkaing him so hard that they wanted him to resign immediately from sumo.

I’m torn between kinda hating henkas but valuing how they keep people honest at a sports competition level and how funny both critical success and failure ones can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I’m torn between kinda hating henkas but valuing how they keep people honest at a sports competition level and how funny both critical success and failure ones can be.

I like the way they are now. Legal, but not really accepted. Keeps them happening enough so that the threat keeps people honest but enough of a stigma against them that they don't happen enough to make things super boring if everyone has to be conservative every match. They'd stop being funny if it happens every other match rather than every couple days.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Really strong scores from everyone overall. I'm in the basement but still had 3 KK.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I like that henkas end up being a mind game.

E.G.: I kinda expect Abi to henka any time he's against Keisho, because they're both kinda one trick ponies and Abi won't probably be able to overpower Takakeisho. But they both also know that? Means that Keisho might be a little less forceful on the tachi-ai which conveys some advantage to Abi.

Or maybe I'm just projecting my impressions into the bout.

It's also funny to watch rikishis face after a match where one happened, if it succeeded or not.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like henkas, generally speaking. They're a solid strategic move and I think they're in a pretty good spot. The threat of them keeps people honest at the tachiai, because they punish overcommitment and excessively hard charges. The stigma against them, on the other hand, ensures that they don't get used so frequently that the tachiai becomes slow and boring because they are expecting one.

However, I also don't think they're representative of the kind of dominant sumo you'd want to see from a yokozuna candidate. A henka in a playoff bout to take an 11-4 yusho over an M15? It's a solid strategy, especially with an opponent who gets into his head as much as Atamifuji does, but IMO it's one that smells like desperation and a lack of confidence in his sumo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I don't mind them, but I think a lot of things that aren't henkas get called henkas. Sidestepping after impact to hip-throw an opponent is not a henka.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Terunofuji's greatest moment was in his first makuuchi run when he stopped an old guy getting ozeki again by henkaing him so hard that they wanted him to resign immediately from sumo.

lol

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Usually I just dislike henkas because they mean I miss out on a good match. If they're funny they're good, like that match a few basho back when Hoshoryu grabbed the back of his opponent's mawashi as he ran by and hurled him into the audience, or when the henka fails and the rikishi doing it loses easily in embarrassing fashion. If someone does a henka to a guy I'm rooting for then I feel that he should be immediately barred from competition.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Eldoop posted:

If someone does a henka to a guy I'm rooting for then I feel that he should be immediately barred from competition.

I tend to react the same way. See also: when rikishi I like fail to anticipate what technique Abi is going to use (a flurry of pokes to the throat while hopping around like a frog on a skillet) and wind up being throat poked into oblivion.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://tachiai.org/tag/dirty-henka/page/2/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comments/rhpki4/terunofujis_infamous_henka_v_kotoshogiku_this/

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The henka is the natural and necessary counter to a powerful charging rikishi. Fear of the henka discourages steamroller charges, and often if you watch the replay the henka'd wrestler was head-down and not minding his opponent enough. Also, you occasionally get the Teru vs. Kotoshogiku, or the somewhat less celebrated but still excellent Tochinoshin vs. Kakuryu henka (that gave the cup to Asanoyama on Day 14, trivialized the final day, and got Tochi his promotion to back to ozeki). I laughed out loud at that henka, and still smile to remember it. Those are always a delight.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tochi's henka was even more hilarious given that the day before he had a controversial loss that I recall should have at least warranted a rematch.

That henka was him going 'gently caress you for screwing me out of a win'.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, they absolutely robbed him the day prior in a mono-ii against Asanoyama. The Tochi henka is notable to me because it didn’t get the usual disapproving reaction from watchers.

This is the best video I can find of the henka now, since the NHK went on their copyright striking spree.
https://www.tiktok.com/@allgoodsumo/video/7108650386185080065

Sumostew’s video on Tochi has the Asanoyama mono-ii bout at 10:30ish. Dude got loving robbed.
https://youtu.be/mV_xmGrDgUA

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I love a good henka.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Henkas are good except for when they happen in an important match where I'm hyped up for some really good sumo and to the guy I'm rooting for.

They're also good when they fail; I think it was Terutsuyoshi, or maybe Enho, that tried a full-on flying henka once only for their opponent to anticipate it and catch them midair.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Besides being a necessary counter to a charging rikishi, as Kenning pointed out, I love henkas at the highest levels for all the resulting fallout and handwringing and tut-tutting. I’m a pig for the drama, honestly.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Khizan posted:

Yeah, they absolutely robbed him the day prior in a mono-ii against Asanoyama. The Tochi henka is notable to me because it didn’t get the usual disapproving reaction from watchers.

This is the best video I can find of the henka now, since the NHK went on their copyright striking spree.
https://www.tiktok.com/@allgoodsumo/video/7108650386185080065

Sumostew’s video on Tochi has the Asanoyama mono-ii bout at 10:30ish. Dude got loving robbed.
https://youtu.be/mV_xmGrDgUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUAuUwwTxQI

Found this on YouTube which I hope doesn't get marked soon

Hilarious henka tbh

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Henka depends on the henker.

Henker>henkee is all good to me, henkee>henker, that's awfully unfair.

Didn't catch quite as much of this Basho as I wanted, but thanks Kenning! Less said of my performance the better, but we will come back stronger in the new year. Gamberize!

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I can't remember exactly which basho, but I think it's March 2023: Hoshoryu got henka'd by his opponents for a couple matches in a row, and then Tobi tries to get a third in and gets thrown like a ragdoll.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's an absolute pain in the rear end to find any old fights now. :smith:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

There was a fun double henka video that I can find anymore where they wind up turning and swapping sides on the mat before engaging normally.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Roctavian posted:

I can't remember exactly which basho, but I think it's March 2023: Hoshoryu got henka'd by his opponents for a couple matches in a row, and then Tobi tries to get a third in and gets thrown like a ragdoll.

Eldoop posted:

Usually I just dislike henkas because they mean I miss out on a good match. If they're funny they're good, like that match a few basho back when Hoshoryu grabbed the back of his opponent's mawashi as he ran by and hurled him into the audience

Assuming these are talking about the same henka, it's Day 9 of March. I know because I sent a clip of it to a group chat so it was easy to find the date. The only non-rumble link I can find is this one and if the timestamp doesn't work their match is at 26:14, it's still great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPpVnFWmzw&t=1574s

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Bentai posted:

It's an absolute pain in the rear end to find any old fights now. :smith:

I think I'm going to start archiving the Natto videos. On my nas.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Kenning posted:

Congrats to MalarkeyToboggan on their first-ever yusho, and from nearly the very bottom of the division!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be more like when Terunofuji won from the bottom rank and less like Tokushoryu.

I could have sworn I'd won a tournament before and turns out I did way back in september of 2020. Do you keep track of previous winners? Do we have a Hakuho among us?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CodFishBalls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUAuUwwTxQI

Found this on YouTube which I hope doesn't get marked soon

Hilarious henka tbh

I always suspected Kakuryu didn't mind that loss too much. That was the tournament Trump showed up with his "President's Cup" to award to the yusho winner. It's possible the notably cerebral Yokozuna preferred to give that particular honor to a lower-ranked rikishi.

Either way, it was very satisfying to watch at the time after the previous day's bullshit. One of the few times I've yelled at my monitor after a match.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be more like when Terunofuji won from the bottom rank and less like Tokushoryu.

Tokushoryu's yusho was one of the greatest moments in the history of sports.

I know you meant the subsequent performance but that singular effort was magical.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I could have sworn I'd won a tournament before and turns out I did way back in september of 2020. Do you keep track of previous winners? Do we have a Hakuho among us?

I got curious so I went back and looked. I only went back as far as March 2020, because that's the basho that Kenning chose as the Universal Goon Maezumo for seeding the goonzuke so victories before that don't contribute to goonzuke placement.

code:
3/20: 	sivad
5/20: 	=CANCELED DUE TO COVID=
7/20: 	Thauros
9/20: 	Fluffdaddy & MalarkeyToboggan
11/20: 	Khizan
1/21:	Brut
3/21:	captainblastum
5/21:	Vargatron
7/21: 	captainblastum(M)		TwoWord Name(J)
9/21:	BananaCanada(M)			CrustyNutsack(J)
11/21:	sivad(M)			Takuan(J)
1/22:	Tiny Bug Child(M)		Memento(J)
3/22:	Teddybear(M)			NuclearPotato(J)
5/22:	Banana Canada(M)		Saturnine Aberrance(J)
7/22:	EveryonesFavoritePoster(M)	Fluffdaddy(J)
9/22:	scripterror(M)			ilmucche(J)
11/22:	Fluffdaddy(M)			Brut(J)
1/23: 	Khizan(M)			Robviously(J)
3/23:	Thauros & TinyBugChild(M)	Gaghskull(J)
5/23:	=JUNGYO= bessantj
7/23: 	Brut(M)				CrustyNutsack(J)
9/23:	BananaCanada & TinyBugChild(M)	oldskool(J)
11/23:	MalarkeyToboggan(M)		NTRabbit(J)
It looks like our three-time makuuchi yusho winners are BananaCanada and TinyBugChild.

Two-time makuuchi yusho winners are: Fluffdaddy, MalarkeyToboggan, Khizan, captainblastum, sivad, Thauros, and Brut.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

pseudodragon posted:

There was a fun double henka video that I can find anymore where they wind up turning and swapping sides on the mat before engaging normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BonSrYM5MP0

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

wow. reddit being mostly correct in the comments is flooring me. lmao at the article. teru loving owns.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thanks. Forgot it was Haru/Tochi and thought it was just 2 rando midcarders.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Had some time this morning so I think I filled out the remaining winners by rummaging through kenning's post history in the OG sumo thread, from newest to oldest.

Kenning posted:

Final results from Kyushu 2019:

code:
bessantj	50.5
Kenning		26.5
Martytoof	37
Scythe		54.5
Sivad		47
Congrats to Scythe for taking it during a very messy tournament.

Kenning posted:

Killer basho! Mitakeumi is on a strong ozeki run now, I'm super looking forward to Kyushu!

Final standings:

code:
bessantj	50.5
Elissimpark	49.5
fisting by many	66
Kenning		54.5
Martytoof	52.5
Panaeolus	43.5
Polka		53
Scythe		50
Sivad		37.5
Congrats to fisting by many for a commanding win, grabbing the yusho and 2 special prizes and only one make-koshi from Kakuryu. Tsurugisho was a surprisingly good pick!

Kenning posted:

Final results:

code:
bessantj	53.5
Elissimpark	25
fisting by many	48.5
jng2058		36
Kenning		55.5
oystertoadfish	39.5
ratmosphere	57.5
sivad		47.5
Congratulations to ratmosphere on winning with a great team. Special mention to Elissimpark for getting the lowest score of any of the fantasy tournaments so far! Hope things go better in Aki!

Kenning posted:

Fantasy sumo final scores:

code:
Kenning		37.5
Martytoof	44
ratmosphere	37.5
Rigel		72.5
sivad		55
Congratulations to Rigel to putting up the highest score of any of the fantasy tournaments we've done so far, getting the yusho, the jun-yusho, and 2 of the 3 special prizes awarded, and also nearly doubling mine and ratmosphere's scores. Good times!

Kenning posted:

Final results for Hatsu 2019:

code:
jmzero		60.5
Kanthulu	54
Kenning		51
Martytoof	58
ratmosphere	48.5
Rigel		54
Scythe		38.5
Shiroc		45
sivad		39.5
Big congrats to jmzero for a convincing win in their first tournament. Special mention to Rigel, who was the only person who had all 5 rikishi get kachi-koshi.

Kenning posted:

End of basho fantasy results:

code:
Kanthulu	41.5
Kenning		41.5
Martytoof	69.5
ratmosphere	31.5
Rigel		40
sivad		46
Vargatron	38.5
Martytoof absolutely dominated, with the yusho, the jun-yusho, and 2 special prizes in his heya. Well done!

Kenning posted:

I totally spaced posting final results for sumo:

code:
Fluffdaddy	37
Kenning		36.5
Martytoof	36.5
rigel		45
Vargatron	42
This is the lowest-scoring fantasy tournament so far on account of all the MK and also no special prizes being awarded, and the only kinboshi being won by a wrestler (Chiyotairyu) who no one was holding. Rigel won it with Goeido's jun-yusho. Hell of a tournament; I can't wait for Kyushu.

July 2018 Cancelled

Kenning posted:

Final results!

code:
anakha		62
Fluffdaddy	39
Kanthulu	39
Kenning		58.5
rigel		47.5
sivad		59
Vargatron	49
Congrats to anakha! Well deserved, with both the yusho and jun-yusho winners, it was a solid win. As for the runner up, sivad got 4 of the 5 sanssho this basho (no one chose Kyokutaisei), which is how they shot way up to second place. Well done!

Kenning posted:

Hey everybody! Sorry for being MIA this weekend, I was out of town again. Here are the final standings!

code:
anakha		42
Fluffdaddy	50
Fryhtaning	39.5
Kanthulu	56.5
Kenning		69.5
Kikkoman	33.5
Martytoof	51
ratmosphere	50
Rigel		50.5
sivad		47.5
Vargatron	49.5
This is the first time I've won! I had all 3 special prize winners and both jun-yusho winners, which wasthe big source of points obviously.

Interestingly, looking back at the last 3 things we've done, the winner of fantasy sumo only held the yusho winner once, but they always held the jun-yusho winner/s and at least 2 special prize wins. Also, when sivad won with Tochinoshin it wasn't the 5 points from the yusho that made the difference. Does this suggest that maybe the yusho is under-valued in the scoring system? Or does it mean that the system is actually good, since it's not necessarily "pick Hakuho and you'll win the fantasy league."

Kenning posted:

Hatsu Basho 2018 Fantasy Results

code:
Elissimpark	46
Fluffdaddy	36.5
Fryhtaning	29.5
Kenning		49
Martytoof	44.5
nyerf		36
ratmosphere	27
Rigel		46.5
sivad		55
Tsaedje		32.5
Congratulations to sivad, whose cunning Day 5 trade for Tochinoshin won them the league. That was way before anyone was even thinking of considering him a yusho contender, so very well played! Special shout-out to my man ratmosphere, whose low score of 27 is the lowest of any of the 3 fantasy basho I've done so far, and included a 4-day stretch in which he got only 4 points total. Pretty grim!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
shoutouts to the ten or so sumo posters who did this year in year out in SAS before it got moved to the Big Men Hitting Each Other forum and exploded in posters

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Single Tight Female posted:

Assuming these are talking about the same henka, it's Day 9 of March. I know because I sent a clip of it to a group chat so it was easy to find the date. The only non-rumble link I can find is this one and if the timestamp doesn't work their match is at 26:14, it's still great!

Haha thank you for posting this

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
combining henka chat with 'videos of old bouts are hard to find', here's mainoumi pulling off a hassoutobi, which i don't think i've seen anyone seriously attempt in the past decade or more (whole vid is pretty great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcknTDbDT6w&t=605s

also this, which i've never been able to find the provenance of and suspect has to be from an exhibition/technique demonstration match, but is still physically impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neoypBY93nA

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Single Tight Female posted:

This wasn't the one I was thinking of but it's incredibly good lmao.

In the match I was talking about Hoshoryu was the one who henka'd, and as his opponent was charging past him he got a grip on the back of his mawashi and (in my memory at least) flung him off the corner of the dohyo. I'd already enjoyed watching his bouts but I think that was the moment that locked me in as a fan of his, especially as a heel. Iirc he topped it off with that smug little head waggle of his too.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Eldoop posted:

In the match I was talking about Hoshoryu was the one who henka'd, and as his opponent was charging past him he got a grip on the back of his mawashi and (in my memory at least) flung him off the corner of the dohyo. I'd already enjoyed watching his bouts but I think that was the moment that locked me in as a fan of his, especially as a heel. Iirc he topped it off with that smug little head waggle of his too.

I think this was against Sadanoumi? But I can't find any video of that match.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Apraxin posted:

combining henka chat with 'videos of old bouts are hard to find', here's mainoumi pulling off a hassoutobi, which i don't think i've seen anyone seriously attempt in the past decade or more (whole vid is pretty great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcknTDbDT6w&t=605s

The way his opponent looks around for a split second like "where the gently caress did he go" is amazing :allears:

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Henkas must be protected AND discouraged. This delicate balance is crucial to sumo.

That said, much as I love Terunofuji I am a bit gobsmacked at how many people here seem to take his side on his henka against the ol' Kyushu Bulldozer himself, Kotoshogiku in 2017.

It was fair. It was funny. But it was dastardly. Kotoshogiku never henka'd a soul and it seemed cruel to have his final hope of an Ozeki comeback end with a joke at his expense.

As an aside, I think Kotoshogiku had one of the more interesting Ozeki careers. He was so obviously one-note in his sumo with his patented hug-and-chug, but he managed to have extremely competitive head-to-head records with all the big names of his day.

36-31 vs Kisenosato
35-31 vs Harumafuji
22-30 vs Kakuryu
8-9 vs Terunofuji
21-30 vs Goeido

And then of course he was 7-56 vs Hakuho lol.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I loved Kotoshogiku and totally held that henka against Terunofuji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Terunofuji has only had 6 full basho as yokozuna and 8 where he was partially or fully absent. Kisenosato was 2 and 10. Sumo Association has to be pretty desperate to get one of the young healthy guys into the role and actually have their top guys participating.