Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Let's actually contextualize this with some recent history:

A really good summary

Of course, by now, a whole generation of kids has grown up really only knowing the non-blackface Pete, so they don't have an "old tradition to protect", which is why I'm somewhat hopeful that as more boomers die and the new generation grows up, blackface becomes a thing of the past.

Really good post and context. I'm slightly nervous the situation next year, though: if Wilders actually becomes PM, he's going to try anything in his power to gut public broadcasting. And since those are the guys that organize the national parade, I could see them tossing out dumb poo poo like "no funding without Black Pete."

lol our country is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It seems to always be a rump of about a third of any given society that insists on absolutely making said society as lovely and unpleasant and backwards as possible, and almost always gets their way

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

It seems to always be a rump of about a third of any given society that insists on absolutely making said society as lovely and unpleasant and backwards as possible, and almost always gets their way

We elected a man who denies climate change exists while living beneath sea level.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sucks that the bad third of humanity has all the money and power.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Worrying Warlock posted:

We elected a man who denies climate change exists while living beneath sea level.

The Dutch have hybristophilia.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anectdotal but my 4 year old nephew was staying with his grandparents (from my brother in laws side) and they filmed him doing the shoe thing because it was his first time with them and it's cute. (There's a tradition where you put out your shoe before going to bed and sing a little song, maybe leave a carrot for the Saint's horse, and the next morning the Petes have left you a treat or small gift, kinda like the christmas stockings?)

So he sings the song and loudly thanks Sinterklaas, and his grandparents say he forgot to thank someone. He's confused for a bit and they say you gotta thank zwarte Piet too, which only confuses him more because for him it's just Piet. So you can see him visibly uncomfortable say "Dank u Sinterklaas and.... uh... zwarte Piet!"

My brother in law told me the story laughing, saying they had to have a talk with the grandparents about the whole Black thing not being appropriate anymore. Young kids these days don't even know or care about the 'tradition' and for them it's just Piet. The story about him having soot on his face from the chimneys makes sense and is fine. There's no need for blackface and all the racists making a big deal out of it are so loving obviously in the wrong it's contemptible. They're the ones ruining it for the kids because for the kids it simply doesn't matter.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The obvious solution to this is to have the shoegifts be delivered by 13 ogres each of which has its own gimmick.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Steal the yule lads from Iceland, they can give you gifts

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

bring back Krampus imho

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Don't forget Mari Llwyd and the Jule Goat. They get angry when they're forgotten. You wouldn't like them when they're angry

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Philippe posted:

Steal the yule lads from Iceland, they can give you gifts

Which would be a bit of an oroburos because the Yule Lads didn't give gifts until the late 20th century when Icelandic fishermen landing their catch in Rotterdam came home with tales about how the Hollanders had their kids put shoes in windows to get gifts from a saint around Christmas. So they took it back home and slotted the Yulelads into the same role, thankfully without any Blackface.

Before that they were at best mischievous pranksters and thieves and at worst childsnatching monsters going back to the 17th century.

In a Danish decree on education and religion from 1746 Icelanders were forbidden from frightening their children with"såkaldte julesvend eller spögelser" ("so-called Yulelad or ghosts")

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Let's actually contextualize this with some recent history:

Since 2018, the televised version of the parade doesn't feature blackface anymore. This was a big moment, because many kids watch the televised thing, and to keep a consistent story, local events often follow their lead.

In 2020, for the first time the amount of people who said moving away from blackface is fine was more than half, in a representative poll. However, the percentage of people in favour of keeping blackface (in the range of 35-39%) hasn't dropped further since then.

The organisation that fights against blackface has since then continued their protests in every city that still does blackface. They tend to be peaceful, but especially in very conservative places, these protests tend to draw out truly violent racists, who throw rocks and eggs at them or try to hit them with cars. Last year (2022), when this happened, the police, who was "overwhelmed" fled the scene and didn't protect the protestors at all.

However, some good seems to have come from this, because this year many municipal governments in places that still did blackface refused to organizationally and financially support the parades out of fear of "harming the public safety". See, they can't ban protests because those are constitutionally protected, but they can refuse to help organize a parade. A bunch of those places didn't do a parade at all because the very conservative organizers refused to do an inclusive one at all.
Some others apparently did a "secret" blackface parade in some suburb or industrial area of the city, without any city funding, and only informing locals the day before with flyers, so that the protestors couldn't get there in time.

In summary, every year since the protests began in full, blackface in the Netherlands has being pushed further into the fringes of society. It probably won't disappear completely anytime soon but people are much less likely to run into it now.
However, sadly there's still a sizable chunk of the population who want to keep blackface. That, combined with the fact that the far right anti-immigration party won the elections last week, makes it hard to predict how this topic will evolve.

Of course, by now, a whole generation of kids has grown up really only knowing the non-blackface Pete, so they don't have an "old tradition to protect", which is why I'm somewhat hopeful that as more boomers die and the new generation grows up, blackface becomes a thing of the past.

I'm trying to imagine being so invested in being racist that you start throwing guerrilla minstrel parades, flash mob style.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Spoiled kids these days only want to get presents from the forest spirits. You're supposed to give them oatmeal at the least and your gift is not being cursed for a year.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wasn't the logic behind Santa giving you a lump of coal basically "you were a poo poo kid, but you can have this so at least you're a little less likely to freeze to death over the winter and you can try again next Christmas"?

Really harkens back to a time when children were lucky to get the gift of another year of not dying from scarlet fever or typhoid or somesuch

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Never saw it fact checked outside of a 3rd grade history book but I thought the 19th century US tradition for a while was your stocking stuffed with either a lump of coal if you were naughty (or poor, same thing here) so that you can help the heater stay running or an orange because it was an expensive treat.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Growing up I always got an orange and a dime in my stocking (with candy and toiletries). I was told it was a holdover from what my grandparents got growing up

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

zedprime posted:

Never saw it fact checked outside of a 3rd grade history book but I thought the 19th century US tradition for a while was your stocking stuffed with either a lump of coal if you were naughty (or poor, same thing here) so that you can help the heater stay running or an orange because it was an expensive treat.

"Here kid, you don't deserve a toy, but you ALSO don't deserve scurvy. Solid C student."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat, I really wanted a faceless corn husk doll

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks really stands out historically for its variety and creativity.

I love the painting, it's one of those pictures that just tells a story without any context needed, and if you do have it it's especially fun particularly considering the likelihood that the monk-ish guy writing the letter with the quietly amused expression is probably one of the only people in it who is actually literate.
Link to the painting, for anybody who hasn't seen it!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Asterite34 posted:

"Here kid, you don't deserve a toy, but you ALSO don't deserve scurvy. Solid C student."
No you get the orange if you're good. You get a toy if your parents are rich, that's an entirely separate concern.

My theory for the coal (and there is no historically accepted One True Reason so whatever) is that you want a decoy gift of some kind so you can watch your kids all get excited and the bad one you're punishing won't realize they're being punished until the whole family opens the stockings: if it's meant to be a public punishment you want the disappointment to be in public, and if you're the type of parent to do this then you're probably a shithead who wants to witness and laugh at the moment of disillusionment. If the bad kid's stocking is obviously empty you don't get that.

And coal is literally right there in the household at the time and place when this was a thing (turn of the 20th century America) and a big lump of coal might be indistinguishable from the other kids' oranges once each is tucked into a stocking. You already have it and it's convenient and it extends the kayfabe

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

And coal is literally right there in the household at the time and place when this was a thing (turn of the 20th century America) and a big lump of coal might be indistinguishable from the other kids' oranges once each is tucked into a stocking. You already have it and it's convenient and it extends the kayfabe

This is why I don't buy the "it'll keep you warm" theory. It's like saying "Here's your one piece of coal, go put it in the furnace for yourself" when there's obviously already a pile in the cellar

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Soul Dentist posted:

This is why I don't buy the "it'll keep you warm" theory. It's like saying "Here's your one piece of coal, go put it in the furnace for yourself" when there's obviously already a pile in the cellar

I base my history facts on Mickey’s Christmas Carol it checks out. I think the Muppets also support the “single piece of coal will warm a small family of rodents” theory.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

I always saw it as "Santa didn't forget you. Here's a useless hunk of nothing so you know I was here and didn't think you deserved anything good."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's a tidy karmic retribution even if the sum of things mean no one actually got anything they weren't going to get.

"You were naughty (selfish) during the year. As a gift, here is something you can contribute to the family to make your year a little less selfish."

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

A Worrying Warlock posted:

lol our country is hosed
Is this just everywhere now?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Heating a house for the winter could require literal tons of coal, tens of pounds per day.

One lump is practically nothing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kaspar (and many variants) is shown as black in a lot of old art around Europe. He’s held to be somewhere from Persia or northern India which apparently meant “idk a black guy?” in 1583.

Could maybe find a real black kid in Germany these days

I have heard that the three kings/wise men/magi are typically depicted as a diverse trio suggesting they're each from one of the 'continents', one from Europe, one from Asia and one from Africa.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Don't forget Mari Llwyd and the Jule Goat. They get angry when they're forgotten. You wouldn't like them when they're angry

The Christmas expanded universe is getting wild.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s always been specious reasoning that there were three gifts, and therefore three wise men.

Frankincense and myrrh are extremely similar things. They’re both sap from trees native to the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula, and both commodities are used for overlapping purposes. It’s possible that they were harvested on opposite sides of the Red Sea, but there’s no particular reason to believe this.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ok yeah man but what do you get a baby for Christmas in antiquity

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Platystemon posted:

It’s always been specious reasoning that there were three gifts, and therefore three wise men.

Frankincense and myrrh are extremely similar things. They’re both sap from trees native to the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula, and both commodities are used for overlapping purposes. It’s possible that they were harvested on opposite sides of the Red Sea, but there’s no particular reason to believe this.

If I remember correctly, there are some sects of Christianity which states there were as many as twelve. As far as the biblical text goes, I think all that can be said for certain is a number greater than one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Soul Dentist posted:

Ok yeah man but what do you get a baby for Christmas in antiquity

High quality linen cloth

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I mean in the Dutch tradition, if you were a naughty child, santa puts you in his bag and takes you home to his castle in Spain where he forces you to manufacture toys for a year.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Dec 1, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean in the Dutch tradition, if you were a naughty child, santa puts you in his bag and takes you home to his castle in Spain where he forces you to manufacture toys for a year.

Huge win for dutch children if true

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wish I'd gotten to manufacture toys...

Santa had other things in mind for me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

If the poo poo I sang in choir was accurate, Jesus received Golden Frankenstein and Merv

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The guy from home alone?

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The gifts have very different cultural symbolism though, which is probably why the author chose and listed them like that. As for the 3 gifts -> 3 magi tradition that most Christians hew to, keep in mind Christianity has a notable theme involving the number 3.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The guy from home alone?

Guy was giving the houses a baptism on Christmas day and the woke left cancelled him for it :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you were a good child I presume he took you for two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Subjunctive posted:

If you were a good child I presume he took you for two years.