Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didn't know we hadn't sorted out bodycams yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
FFG insist on them being facial recognition bodycams because they like the idea of watching poo poo like it's Robogarda or something, but technical and legal problems are preventing that, so they refuse to make a small positive change when denied a massive terrible one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

As Arquinsiel said, the charges that were brought in court today are the immediate ones that can be proven trialaly. In many cases files are being sent to the DPP.

What you will probably get in a number of weeks are a bunch of the people charged today (and others who have not been charged yet) being charged with a bunch of other offences (criminal damage using fire, assault, burglary) The bigger one's will be Violent Disoreder and possibly Riot.

Make no mistake, a bunch of these people will end up being moved from the District Court to the Circuit Court over this.

That being said, don't expect any of the people who were stiring all this up on social media to be prosecuted as there is no law here that would really cover that.

Though I have heard rumblings about new incitement to hatred statutes being drawn up.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The Question IRL posted:

Though I have heard rumblings about new incitement to hatred statutes being drawn up.

Yeah, I heard that too. The far right calling it censorship or some nonsense.

And the irony of this would be funny if it wasn't so... I just can't find the words. Get mad at a stabbing of women and children and then go threaten female immigrant workers with a knife:

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerSP/status/1728183053925941553

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Valko posted:

Yeah, I heard that too. The far right calling it censorship or some nonsense.

And the irony of this would be funny if it wasn't so... I just can't find the words. Get mad at a stabbing of women and children and then go threaten female immigrant workers with a knife:

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerSP/status/1728183053925941553

I can't find any paper talking about it - Google first page for "Ashtown Aldi knife" only returns that Twitter account or people reposting it, so not sure if this is some old stuff.

It looks like they are at least talking about changing the new incitement to hatred act to include social medias. It's funny that it was not there already since this act is from last October, iirc? https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/11/24/taoiseach-vows-to-modernise-laws-on-incitement-to-hatred-to-include-social-media/

A bit more on new legislation here https://www.thejournal.ie/cctv-incitement-to-hatred-legislation-6231721-Nov2023/?utm_source=twitter_short

Of course this can't be retroactive, so it won't have any impact on what happend already, but maybe it'll make things a bit more difficult for the fash. At least for the really dumb ones.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 25, 2023

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

That Italian Guy posted:

I can't find any paper talking about it - Google first page for "Ashtown Aldi knife" only returns that Twitter account or people reposting it, so not sure if this is some old stuff.

It looks like they are at least talking about changing the new incitement to hatred act to include social medias. It's funny that it was not there already since this act is from last October, iirc? https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/11/24/taoiseach-vows-to-modernise-laws-on-incitement-to-hatred-to-include-social-media/

A bit more on new legislation here https://www.thejournal.ie/cctv-incitement-to-hatred-legislation-6231721-Nov2023/?utm_source=twitter_short

Of course this can't be retroactive, so it won't have any impact on what happend already, but maybe it'll make things a bit more difficult for the fash. At least for the really dumb ones.

Yeah, I should check my sources better. I'm furious about this - just as furious as the far right - and it's not making me think clearly.

Anyway, this is something I have been waiting for - a timeline of events that led to the riots:

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1728134867429560334

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Valko posted:

Yeah, I should check my sources better. I'm furious about this - just as furious as the far right - and it's not making me think clearly.

Anyway, this is something I have been waiting for - a timeline of events that led to the riots:

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1728134867429560334

Well it seems that something happened at that Aldi, whether it was racially motivated hasn't been clarified.

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-threatened-with-knife-aldi-ashtown-6232619-Nov2023/

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Ah sorry I didn't see that when I Googled the fact this morning.

Anyway, I was in the city center earlier and it looks like they have built some waist high fencing around the Parliament and the Foreign Affairs ministry. The ministry has two rounds of fencing, the first one is the usual stuff you'd see at concerts or such, the second one (as the one in front of the Parliament) seems to be anchored to the ground and buttressed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yer man Care2much18 is a known con artist btw.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

Yer man Care2much18 is a known con artist btw.

Oh for the love of christ.

Sitting in the dark here about something that happened barely over 100 miles away.

I'll try Al Jazeera.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He might be telling the truth here, to some degree, but he's got a history of colouring the data around the rona to make Fine Gael look good. He's also got a history of telling people he's a gambling addict who's deep in debt to some dodgy people and if you could just lend him a couple euro for a few days he'd totally pay you back with extra...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

American here who lived in Dublin quite a few years back - I remember there being a LOT of anti-Polish feelings from locals. Is that still the case or have they turned to other targets?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The general anti-Polish bullshit kind of trailed away as they just became part of the community, but the far-right started hating muslims in general, and nowadays they also specifically hate Ukranians. Really that lots have just sort of condensed it into the most generic terms though. "Foreigners", "wokism", and the catch all of "pedo" for "disagrees with me".

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Also yer man from the Corrs is a card carrying fascist now

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

Also yer man from the Corrs is a card carrying fascist now

He's been 5G Jim for a while now

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the Mancorr can get hosed imo

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I remember a debate me and the boys used to have in highschool.

"Would you sleep with Jim Corr, if you got to sleep with all three Corr sisters after?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Only if it's all 4 at the same time

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'd just j/o behind the skip w/ bob geldof

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they say he appreciates the company from time to time

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

(Potentially opening up a can of worms here but...)

I have all the sympathy in the world for Emily Hand and everything she went through. She shouldn't have to have been kidnapped and the contradictory information on what happened to her must have been so awful for her family....

But her Dad sounds really weird, right?
Like all the things he said in the media before and after the family got her back, that was really weird, right? It's not just me, is it?

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 2, 2023

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
He's a Zionist.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I didn't see much of what he said.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I didn't see much of what he said.

It's comments he's made.

Like after she had been kidnapped but before she was returned he said in this article from November.

https://jrnl.ie/6215628

Thomas Hand posted:

Thomas said at the time: “They just said, we found Emily, she’s dead, and I went ‘Yes!’ and smiled, because that is the best news, of the possibilities I knew, that was the best possibility I was hoping for.
“The way they treat you, they have no food, they have no water, she’d be in a dark room filled with Christ knows how many people and for how many years to come.

“So death was a blessing, an absolute blessing.”

Then afterwards, talking about her being "Broken but in one piece."

Like, I know full well how grief does a number on parents, but those comments are just weird.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
He seems an odd fellow. I haven't been able to find anyone who can collaborate his claim of their being a Hand pub beside the Foot grocery in dun laoghaire. But people do fake anecdotes.

Most of what he says about Hamas hostage treatment is fantasist as well, but easy to think that's what many Israelis do believe Hamas is like.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
He's a standard issue broke brained settler, he just happens to be Irish. I feel sorry for the poor girl.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think it's totally reasonable to feel glad Emily is OK while still feeling weird about her dad hoping she was dead instead. I would have been worried about the IDF blowing her and her captors up while carpet bombing the place , but then again I'm not a father yet so I don't know how that feels, his imagination must have been going wild. Which is about as much of a chance I'll give a Planter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay yeah, that reads like she shouldn't be returning to that home :stare:

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
He was saying how his family were wracked with shame and grief at Leo’s statement about his daughter’s return. Which… I dunno, obviously a traumatic situation but that was genuinely as anodyne a comment imaginable.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

GhastlyBizness posted:

He was saying how his family were wracked with shame and grief at Leo’s statement about his daughter’s return. Which… I dunno, obviously a traumatic situation but that was genuinely as anodyne a comment imaginable.

By all accounts being in Hamas' custody is significantly more pleasant than being in Israeli custody

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

GhastlyBizness posted:

I made the mistake of checking Reddit (I know) and Ireland is "antisemitism: the country" according to the World News subreddit. Leo using the prodigal son parable is a way to use passive language so that he could avoid condemning Hamas, apparently (specifically the "was lost" part).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 2, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
No amount of kowtowing is ever enough for those Hasbarist freaks, so easier to just tell them to suk dick, Israel is a terrorist state

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
While the Right is unfortunately on the rise, world wide, we can at least take comfort in the fact that the Burkes are still gobshites

Martina and Ammi Burke removed from Court of Appeal

The appeal went well

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Paddy Cosgrave is back on twitter. After some Israeli intelligence was exposed as taking credit for his being forced out of his company.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1733415090433442048?s=20

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Cosgrave is an attention seeking techbro twat, but it's kind of wild that poo poo's escalated to the point where he's ended up being on the same side of issues as me more often than not these days.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
FUCKIN CREEPY MEAT THERMOMENTER BASTARD RUINING MY TELEVISION AGAIN :mad:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbSvugzXll4

Have I fallen into another dimenson here, or has the Dublin accent gotten more hosed up?

It's like a SCP video, such a sense of uneasiness about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What the actual gently caress? There are three seasons of it? :psyduck:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
hehehe that's a very wacky way to walk around the kitchen isn't it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Lmao at this whole thread
https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1752052609320423646