Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

How was it or is that against nda?

I haven't played it quite yet but the NDA seems pretty legit. I'm not sure if they'd do anything but there's a good chance that the animaniacs would be released from the warner tower and beat the poo poo out of me. I hope its surprisingly fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So I've been really enjoying my time with Eiyuden Chronicle Rising so far but the actual existence of this game perplexes me somewhat. It is simple but surprisingly feature complete, the metroidvania-style action combat is sturdy, and overall presentation is very polished. I've not been following the Eiyuden Chronicle kickstarter campaign very closely despite being reasonably hyped for the thing but it is somewhat amazing that they took the time to spin up this little game and put as much care into it as they did while working on the main event. Hype for April

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ha, I have an invite to that alpha too. I have no recollection of ever signing up for this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Dysmantle's third DLC "Pets & Dungeons" releases on consoles today.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
God drat it whenever I shut my eyes I see ixions bullets flying at me. He's tough as balls. I've nearly managed to get him to his third phase, but the last gun I had (lvl 5 side arm) barely scratched him so it took forever.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
The fuuuck, they said it was over! It was done!!!

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1730195463951831505?t=1uOAj89W5jXvoPMwVWj-hg&s=19

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I keep putting off finally playing Cyberpunk and everytime they release some new hot update.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
so what is dragons dogma, was it good

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

WaltherFeng posted:

I keep putting off finally playing Cyberpunk and everytime they release some new hot update.

I have a feeling theyre throwing in some mods for the new ultimate edition release like they did with the ps5 witcher 3

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

bows1 posted:

Dark yet D&D style fantasy world with action game combat and perhaps tiny bit of monhunt. AI pawns that follow you and say the same 5 things over and over

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

bows1 posted:

All roads lead to Gran Soren

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

bows1 posted:

You could jump on monsters and stab them. In many ways it's exactly the same as Shadow of the Colossus. In fact in every way.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

bows1 posted:

It was loving exceptional in some areas. Really unique feeling game with great combat. Night time is super dangerous and the intended original release of the game had no fast travel - to head to a new town you'd have to load up on supplies, rest until morning and head out at the crack of dawn. Getting caught out at night because you got distracted on your way somewhere was super tense and exciting.
Monsters could be 40ft tall, and it had a satisfying climbing mechanic where you could get right up on them flailing around to stab a cyclops in the eye. You get one party member you pick the skills of directly and hire the other 2 from other players, swapping them out every few levels to get better ones. yours also gets hired out by other players and reviewed, which is always fun logging in and seeing how many people borrowed them.
Doing builds and swapping classes was really well done, they nailed how character development works. and late level spells felt pretty spectacular too. At the time of release it felt like a new level of scale for magic in an action rpg I think.

It's a super janky game and SO low budget at times, but I think for emergent, exciting moments it's one of the most memorable games i've ever played. I even enjoyed overarching narrative of how the story links together, even if the moment to moment beats are generic at best.
The post game DLC is also a super hard dungeon that was a lot of fun.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 30, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Dragon's Dogma has probably emerged as my all-time favourite game which I would never have expected when I first played it. I didn't even notice it becoming my favourite game, I've just played it to completion (including to 100% completion on PC) on every platform it currently exists on except Xbox and still find myself wanting to play it again. It's just so it's own thing while still being obviously a high fantasy RPG. There's no other game that's really like it. I know every quest and story beat by heart and still find it satisfying to play again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dragon's Dogma seems to get a lot of praise but to me it felt like a very unfinished game guilty of the same things people on the Something Awful forums love to complain about all the time. Green and brown everything, a pointless open world filled with meaningless fetch quests, chatty companions that explain literally every action you and enemies make, a totally perfunctory story. The only thing it really has going for it is the combat system, and even that takes a long time to come together. I suspect that Capcom will probably do a much better job on the second try.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you've ever played a eurojank rpg like Gothic, Dragons Dogma is the Japanese equivalent of that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

bows1 posted:

They're masterworks all, can't go wrong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's the one where the game tries to figure out who your favorite NPC is for the big final confrontation but usually ends up picking the vendor you patronized the most?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
the entire pawn system creeped me out lol

like in most games generic hirelings have the "oh we met this guy at a bar" flavor to them, but in DD they really go out of their way to go "nah these guys are totally mindless slaves! a total blank slate! wouldn't even breathe if you didn't tell them to!"

like, don't lampshade it like that, why is this the only unique thing in this otherwise normal fantasy pastiche and why is it so loving weird

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haveblue posted:

That's the one where the game tries to figure out who your favorite NPC is for the big final confrontation but usually ends up picking the vendor you patronized the most?

yes

wolves hunt in packs, arisen

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

exquisite tea posted:

Dragon's Dogma seems to get a lot of praise but to me it felt like a very unfinished game guilty of the same things people on the Something Awful forums love to complain about all the time. Green and brown everything, a pointless open world filled with meaningless fetch quests, chatty companions that explain literally every action you and enemies make, a totally perfunctory story. The only thing it really has going for it is the combat system, and even that takes a long time to come together. I suspect that Capcom will probably do a much better job on the second try.
I don't think you can say the world is "filled" with quests by any stretch of the imagination. You can do 100% of the main and side quests (not counting the contract board quests) in a normal playthrough without even really trying. It shares almost no similarity with your average open world game. It's closer to old-school RPGs like Chrono Trigger and FF7 in terms of the scope of its open world, nothing like the sprawling bloatfest of modern AAA open worlds. A main city, some other settlements and encampments. The story is also not totally perfunctory, and if you play through to the end, it actually becomes extremely cool and recontextualizes the entire thing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Wolfsheim posted:

like in most games generic hirelings have the "oh we met this guy at a bar" flavor to them, but in DD they really go out of their way to go "nah these guys are totally mindless slaves! a total blank slate! wouldn't even breathe if you didn't tell them to!"

like, don't lampshade it like that, why is this the only unique thing in this otherwise normal fantasy pastiche and why is it so loving weird

BG3 does something like this with the hirelings and I refuse to use them because of it. They’re all dead people that Withers brings back from the fugue plane and then controls on your behalf

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dragon's Dogma is incredible and I'm eagerly awaiting to play its sequel.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
They're definitely ramping up the magic system too. A clip of double casting - https://www.reddit.com/r/DragonsDogma/comments/186kclr/double_casting/

I'm in day 1, super excited. my new year's games are going to be FF7r2, DD2, then yakuza Hawaii. what a start to the year. quite likely my GOTY is in that pack.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

And the most popular ones always have a striking resemblance to your av lol :pervert:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Wolfsheim posted:

It's part of the cosmology of the world. It's not a lampshaded way of saying "lol companions have no free will", their existence is a fundamental part of the world, and the juxtaposition of the Arisen as a human with an unbreakable will to live and the Pawn as a being with literally no will at all is an important aspect of the story (and in the DLC there's some pretty wild revelations about the nature of those things). One of the reasons I enjoy the story so much is that it starts out as a seemingly bog standard RPG story and escalates into an insane existential whirlwind.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Volte posted:

It's part of the cosmology of the world. It's not a lampshaded way of saying "lol companions have no free will", their existence is a fundamental part of the world, and the juxtaposition of the Arisen as a human with an unbreakable will to live and the Pawn as a being with literally no will at all is an important aspect of the story (and in the DLC there's some pretty wild revelations about the nature of those things). One of the reasons I enjoy the story so much is that it starts out as a seemingly bog standard RPG story and escalates into an insane existential whirlwind.

Well in this world the 10000 year old dragons look like 8 year old girls in thongs you just don’t get it dad

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1730234381719998650?s=20

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what in the sam hill

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

What does Larian think this is, Call of Duty?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Straining the definition of patch, there.

Dude, you need a Band-Aid for that cut?
Nah, I'm thinking I'll transfer my consciousness into a fresh clone body.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i dont like how quests just disappear for no reason in dragon's dogma. i am playing it for the first time and am so salty that i missed Lost & Found, because i had no idea it existed and it just stops being available if you do the first main quest for no reason. now, i can't get into one little section and i have a notice board quest thtat i picked up that will never go away because the only place to get a king bay leaf is in the section that i am forever banned from

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

big trivia FAIL posted:

i dont like how quests just disappear for no reason in dragon's dogma. i am playing it for the first time and am so salty that i missed Lost & Found, because i had no idea it existed and it just stops being available if you do the first main quest for no reason. now, i can't get into one little section and i have a notice board quest thtat i picked up that will never go away because the only place to get a king bay leaf is in the section that i am forever banned from

Yeah same. I understand the desire to have these sorts of things, as it makes the world feel more alive beyond just you the player, but doing it in a long-rear end RPG with no significant replay value, and with no signposting that it's going to happen, is a real annoyance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the main reason I never finish DD lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larian is disavowing you of the need to install any other game besides Baldur's Gate 3. All hail Larian.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Morpheus posted:

Yeah same. I understand the desire to have these sorts of things, as it makes the world feel more alive beyond just you the player, but doing it in a long-rear end RPG with no significant replay value, and with no signposting that it's going to happen, is a real annoyance.
I'm so mad about it that when I found out after about 20 hours of game, I just stopped playing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Elden ring has been getting a lot of updates on steamdb in recent days...

...you know what that means...

its time geoff. Drop it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Also rockstar killers right here

https://x.com/Kurakasis/status/1729359591262101864?s=20

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Lobok posted:

Straining the definition of patch, there.

Dude, you need a Band-Aid for that cut?
Nah, I'm thinking I'll transfer my consciousness into a fresh clone body.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1730256559186338235?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The patch says it added dynamic resolution for PS5 which is something it always should’ve had, so I will do a trip report on if act 3 still looks like garbage