Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Forget the stem cells and space telescopes, THIS is the kind of science we should be funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Maybe the real stinkers are marinating way up in there and therefore are a couple degrees warmer

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
trying to find a ye olde insult similar to charletan/scalawag

i could have sworn it was milibank but google turns up nothing

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Ragamuffin?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Caitiff?
Dastard?
Miscreant?
Scoundrel?

Edit:
Poltroon?
Milksop?
Varlet?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cant remember definition but like i could have sworn the word was "milibank" or some variation of the spelling

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alan Smithee posted:

cant remember definition but like i could have sworn the word was "milibank" or some variation of the spelling

Mountebank?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

THAT'S THE ONE

thank you

I think i mixed it up with the pokemon militank

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thank you I was starting to get invested in this too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I can whistle while engaging my vocal cords. This is fun, and you should try it. However, I am unsure if my talents are limited or the world is against me. Physiologically and physically, is it possible for me to harmonize with myself this way?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

I can whistle while engaging my vocal cords. This is fun, and you should try it. However, I am unsure if my talents are limited or the world is against me. Physiologically and physically, is it possible for me to harmonize with myself this way?

I don't see why not, it sounds pretty hard to do though. I can whistle a lot better than I can vocalize anything so i sure as hell can't do it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BonHair posted:

it's incredibly difficult to control both pitches at once, i've never heard anyone do it. you can harmonize with yourself via overtone singing but only certain harmonics, or you can do whatever the gently caress crazy poo poo lala hathaway does, i don't even know what's happening there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah in my experience i can vocalize at a constant pitch and whistle at varying ones, creating a drone-and-melody kind of thing, but it's not particularly good. There are a number of esoteric kind of singing styles that involve self-harmony, including throat singing, but they're limited and to do them decently is really hard.

But i agree with you, it's fun! I do it but I'm not about to enter a talent show or anything.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Speaking of whistling. I’ve never been able to

But in recent years I’ve been able to make whistling sounds from sucking while my lips are pursed (har har that’s what I said)

Whistling hasn’t been a sucking as opposed to blowing thing this whole time right?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

But in recent years I’ve been able to make whistling sounds from sucking while my lips are pursed (har har that’s what I said)

Whistling hasn’t been a sucking as opposed to blowing thing this whole time right?

That's how I first learned to whistle as a kid and I think it's probably easier than blowing air, but blowing air gives better note control so that's the normal way to whistle.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

BonHair posted:

This technique was used in The Simpsons to make a UFO noise.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Sucking is easier but doesn’t sound as good.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Is AARP membership worth it, for seniors? Was considering getting my mother on it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BonHair posted:

I can do this pretty easily too, but yeah finding an actual harmonic interval and changing it up at will is the difficult part.

On the plus side, when you do it it feels like you're finding the resonant frequency of your own head.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

I can do this pretty easily too, but yeah finding an actual harmonic interval and changing it up at will is the difficult part.

On the plus side, when you do it it feels like you're finding the resonant frequency of your own head.

Yeah I've been doing it since childhood also. It's very fun. I had not thought of the harmonic relationship until now. The humming moves as a fraction of the whistle. Now I'll be obsessed with this for a while

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BonHair posted:

The lead singer of Jethro Tull is/was known for humming while playing the flute

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why is it that when a bar of soap is like 75% used up, it becomes way harder to get a lather out of it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
soap works by swapping your skin cells with the soap particles. at that point the bar is mostly skin which doesn't lather well

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

butt dickus posted:

soap works by swapping your skin cells with the soap particles. at that point the bar is mostly skin which doesn't lather well

I don't know the answer to the question but that is not how soap works.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
lather builds up from friction, friction requires surface area, you have very little surface area on the soap after a while.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mak0rz posted:

I don't know the answer to the question but that is not how soap works.
then how do you explain all the skin bars i've saved up over the years

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

butt dickus posted:

Your black market skin buyer is going to want their bitcoin back when they hear about this

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

just wait until they nerf your unlimited max skin bar trick in the next patch

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
There's loads of slow mo ballistic gel videos on YouTube but are there any where people simulate shooting big game, dinosaurs or even stuff like Godzilla/king Kong?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Crankit posted:

stuff like Godzilla/king Kong?

I don't think any of these answers are what you're looking for but your idea led me to a genre of video where people play games like "Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator", "Animal Revolt Battle Simulator," and "Totally Accurate Battle Simulator" with these ideas and this will be my background for today's paperwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67v06VFuok4

alternatively,
Anno Hideaki, Peter Jackson, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Matthew Broderick, Sean "Puffy" "Puff 'P. Diddy' Daddy" Combs...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

dupersaurus posted:

The lead singer of Jethro Tull is/was known for humming while playing the flute

True, but I'd call that an understatement.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
May bea stupid question to ask, but does anyone have a recommendation for a backpack with reinforced stitching at the top for the straps?
It uh, needs to be able to hold a 5lb. co2 tank (~27lbs.).
The volume would need to be 30-40 litres. My current one is 35.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is there a reason your current one can't swing it? 27 lb is really not much for any backpack meant for outdoorsy poo poo. If you have a secondhand outdoors gear shop near you, buy a cheap ragged old 40L pack.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

alnilam posted:

Is there a reason your current one can't swing it? 27 lb is really not much for any backpack meant for outdoorsy poo poo. If you have a secondhand outdoors gear shop near you, buy a cheap ragged old 40L pack.

im gonna guess its cause of the straps

what shape is the co2?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
27 pounds should be pretty doable for most bags, just eyeballing it to see if the stitching is good or not will probably do you fine in person.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm a Eurogoon who got a task from his US employer to approach US universities that have a publishing program and try to find recent graduates (or students in final years I guess) to hire in our marketing.

I don't know much about how US universities function. What kind of contact am I even searching for? I don't want to appear like a scammer or totally clueless.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm a Eurogoon who got a task from his US employer to approach US universities that have a publishing program and try to find recent graduates (or students in final years I guess) to hire in our marketing.

I don't know much about how US universities function. What kind of contact am I even searching for? I don't want to appear like a scammer or totally clueless.

Find and email student services and ask what they do for placement, or if there's a campus job board you can post in and about. Or email a couple of the professors who teach publishing and do the same.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Doctor Malaver posted:

You can email various departments (check the university website) and mention that you’re looking to hire recent graduates. Some universities also have student career centers and alumni associations that can help with this too.

This is a very common sort of request. Universities want their graduates to land jobs.

Edit: As an example, here’s a page on UC Berkeley’s website for potential employers.

https://career.berkeley.edu/employers/recruit-at-cal/

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 30, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
What would be the difference between laundry detergents 'for colors' vs. 'for color&whites'?

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Why are some people so adamant about using tap vs. chip on cc readers? For context, the chip readers at my job are 100% functional, but the tap reader is hit or miss. So I end up having this conversation a jillion times a day:

Customer: Will this do tap?
Me: Chip is most reliable, you can go ahead and insert your card.
C: [taps anyway]
-- 30 seconds pass --
Me: Yeah, it's not taking. Put your card in.
C: [starts furiously swirling the card over the whole screen] It says I can tap!
Me: Yes, but it doesn't always work. Go ahead and insert the card.
C sighs heavily, puts card in, transaction concludes.

Like, it takes literally the same amount of time and effort to just use chip, why do people think tap is easier/quicker/whatever and insist on it?