Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Hello thread!

Does anyone have experience with rattlecan matte varnish over Turbo Dork metallics? Does it dull the effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Mouzer posted:

Hello thread!

Does anyone have experience with rattlecan matte varnish over Turbo Dork metallics? Does it dull the effect?

Turbo Dork themselves have an article covering varnishes: https://turbodork.com/blogs/momma-dorks-miniature-musings/varnish

Their Facebook group (Turbo Dorks) is a great resource, with the owners and the chief paint tester/mother of one of the owners posting frequently and answering questions.

Muir fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 29, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Some recent Shatterpoint miniatures. I'm pretty pleased with Darth Vader in particular, though I could see bringing up the highlights on his helmet a bit more, and trying to make the cape more smoothly blended.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Muir posted:

Some recent Shatterpoint miniatures. I'm pretty pleased with Darth Vader in particular, though I could see bringing up the highlights on his helmet a bit more, and trying to make the cape more smoothly blended.

You got to be pretty drat proud of that amazing work¡

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya those minis are doing a real good job at selling me on ShatPoint. That outlaw posse with Cad Bane looks dope as hell.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah personally I consider all my various hobby junk "safe" in the sense that I just sort of casually apply them onto the model without worrying about it, and if some gets on me it's not the end of the world, but I still wouldn't put it on me or in me on purpose. So basically the same level of care I'd use if I was cleaning the kitchen, I don't go find a mask and eye protection to clean the stove but also don't take a sip or lather it on bare handed. Like was said earlier you'll never know when you transpose that habit onto a third party technical product that whoopsie isn't safe at all, also I feel like there's degrees of "non toxic" where maybe won't want to find out later what 50 of direct contact on your skin does.

IMO the one really, rapidly nasty thing in our hobby is casting resins. You will never forget your PPE after you accidentally get uncured polyurethane resin on yourself.

By extension beware if 3D printing resins which are also potent sensitisers and potentially toxic with prolonged exposure (say keeping a printer in your unventilated Goon Cave) I think people are generally good with wearing gloves as PPE but everyone forgets about resin fumes. A little (or even a few months) of exposure is unlikely to hurt, but like licking cadmium paint off a brush it will eventually build to a point where it becomes a problem.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Jesus Christ, buypainted uploaded a new video.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

Ya those minis are doing a real good job at selling me on ShatPoint. That outlaw posse with Cad Bane looks dope as hell.

It's a great game to boot. I have a couple to finish up, and I'll have 100% of all mine done! Until I start messing with them more....

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ok?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Thanks for the kind words. They really are fun minis to paint, just a touch bigger than 40k, with enough detail to be interesting but not so much that you get bogged down. And yes, the game is a lot of fun too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I found a hilarious set of cheap minis on Amazon today :xd:

https://www.amazon.com/Wildspire-Minatures-Miniatures-Accessories-Figurines/dp/B095J3PK5Y/

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm getting a new game, and it's the first one where it will be all resin vs my current plastic ones. How careful should I be about sanding/cutting off moldlines as far as toxicity concerns?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

That goblin shaman needs to be moved to unspiration. The totem pole makes it racist as gently caress.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

chin up everything sucks posted:

That goblin shaman needs to be moved to unspiration. The totem pole makes it racist as gently caress.

I didn't even know that thread was a thing, yeah that post would've definitely belonged there.

Yeah it's a dumb and racist sculpt, I'm not sure the company over in what I assume is China that makes that set would even aware of the connotation of that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm getting a new game, and it's the first one where it will be all resin vs my current plastic ones. How careful should I be about sanding/cutting off moldlines as far as toxicity concerns?

Don't snort the dust. It's not cocaine.

If you're going to use a powered tool on it wear a mask of some kind.

Otherwise I seriously doubt hobby levels of exposure to resin dust can compare to smoking, vaping or living in any major metropolitan area.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

For those that don’t know him, he was a very popular yt painter before it was a big thing. He hasn’t posted in 8 years.

He used to use the airbrush a lot, do lots of undershading and was a huge fan of vallejos metals. It will be interesting to see if his techniques have changed much in the missing decade.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the context, I hadn't heard of them and watched a few minutes feeling baffled; I'll watch the rest now.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Don't snort the dust. It's not cocaine.

If you're going to use a powered tool on it wear a mask of some kind.

Otherwise I seriously doubt hobby levels of exposure to resin dust can compare to smoking, vaping or living in any major metropolitan area.

I've worked in an injection molding factory, so I am familar with that and what PPE is needed. With the talk of how nasty resin fumes are, I was worried that resin itself was overly toxic when cut/sanded, even at the hobby level.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's inert but poses the same threat as any kind of fine particulate that is not biodegradable. You can always wet sand it so you don't have resin dust kicking around on your floor forever.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twincityhacker posted:

I've worked in an injection molding factory, so I am familar with that and what PPE is needed. With the talk of how nasty resin fumes are, I was worried that resin itself was overly toxic when cut/sanded, even at the hobby level.

It's the uncured resin which is bioactive. Like what the other Goon said the dust is inert and its just a regular airborne particulate hazard.

If the minis are 3d printed then you should take extra care if they look wet or if they start leaking when you work on them (pockets of uncured resin). Uncured resin on the surface can be fixed by leaving it out in the sun for a few days. Any contaminated surfaces can be cleaned with IPA. Occasional exposure is nbd - anyone who has false nails will have had similar resin applied to their hands.

2-part casting resin is suuuuper toxic if not fully cured and if your model is still sticky or wet I would dispose of it and ask for a refund. Handle with gloves, wash hands religiously etc etc.

Edit - do you make injection moulded toys?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

It's the uncured resin which is bioactive. Like what the other Goon said the dust is inert and its just a regular airborne particulate hazard.

If the minis are 3d printed then you should take extra care if they look wet or if they start leaking when you work on them (pockets of uncured resin). Uncured resin on the surface can be fixed by leaving it out in the sun for a few days. Any contaminated surfaces can be cleaned with IPA. Occasional exposure is nbd - anyone who has false nails will have had similar resin applied to their hands.

2-part casting resin is suuuuper toxic if not fully cured and if your model is still sticky or wet I would dispose of it and ask for a refund. Handle with gloves, wash hands religiously etc etc.

Edit - do you make injection moulded toys?

Thank you for the info! I will keep an eye out for uncured material. I belive they are being industrial 3D printed. It's the just ended Kickstarter of All Quiet on the Martian Front: Return of the Tripods.

And I made resturant and food equipment - metal serving scoops ( the handles were plastic, but we did finally assembly of the rest of it too) fries scoops, spatulas, dishwasher racks, ect. The fumes were basically a non-issue, but the items were still quite warm though our heat resistant gloves.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is there a quick/easy explanation for getting the correct amount of paint on the brush for dry brushing? Or what condition the brush needs to be in for it?

I love it when it works, but I've had trouble getting the right amount of paint on the brush to do it and seem to end up with maybe too much a lot of the time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

Is there a quick/easy explanation for getting the correct amount of paint on the brush for dry brushing? Or what condition the brush needs to be in for it?

I love it when it works, but I've had trouble getting the right amount of paint on the brush to do it and seem to end up with maybe too much a lot of the time.

https://youtu.be/kxuY2NXeI2M?si=doFPiZk_m512wmo4

The Artis Opus guys are really into dry brushing everything (cause they sell a big pack of expensive ones) so they got a lot of videos on drybrushing. Tldr is that paper towel absorbs more water than paint so if you use that to remove paint for drybrushing you end up with chalky texture. Use their patent pending Drybrushing Palette to get the ideal consistency! (Or a piece of cardboard or the back of your hand)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

People also make texture palettes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The texture palette thing is a complete waste of time and material. Use some particle board or a random piece of balsa wood that I found in a scrap pile.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

The texture palette thing is a complete waste of time and material. Use some particle board or a random piece of balsa wood that I found in a scrap pile.

Do you know what hobby you're in?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Spanish Manlove posted:

Eh, I use cardboard torn off amazon boxes myself but I see the point of the texture palette. You can get a better feel for how much paint is going to be deposited when you drybrush your model because you are essentially drybrushing the texture palette. Theres value there especially if you tend to a heavy hand. You could just have a designated "tester figure" to try it on instead of course (or the tried and true back of the thumb, natures palette), and eventually you should end up more or less having a feel for it, but they arent entirely pointless. I've considered making one out of misprinted figures hot glued into a tub because what else am I going to do with them?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When I switched from paper towels to the random block of balsa wood it's been night and day, then I test how much paint comes off on the back of my hand and it's so much less fiddly than it used to be.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twincityhacker posted:

Thank you for the info! I will keep an eye out for uncured material. I belive they are being industrial 3D printed. It's the just ended Kickstarter of All Quiet on the Martian Front: Return of the Tripods.

Privateer press (Warmachine/Hordes) infamously sold mass produced 3d prints which were half cured so industrial production is not as reliable an indicator of quality as you might expect.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm going to be experimenting more with dry brushing using that Artis method as well. The $20 army painter brushes I ordered will hopefully do the trick. I know this hobby is expensive, but I'm not spending $130 on a fancy case.

I was thinking of making my own texture palette with a bunch of unused plastic mini parts. The idea being that I would be able to test how much coverage I'm getting before putting it on my main model.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm going to be experimenting more with dry brushing using that Artis method as well. The $20 army painter brushes I ordered will hopefully do the trick. I know this hobby is expensive, but I'm not spending $130 on a fancy case.

I was thinking of making my own texture palette with a bunch of unused plastic mini parts. The idea being that I would be able to test how much coverage I'm getting before putting it on my main model.

i saw youtubers doing that with sprue and extra bits and it seemed to be really effective*
*i do not want to spend 30 dollars

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I use a cork & wood coaster that my boss gave me to use up the last of his morale budget a few years ago. I actually use two of them. One's for greyscale, one's for color, and I swap as they get too saturated to tell what consistency I'm getting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like you can use anything, just need to test the brush before applying it to any model.

But if you want to get fancy you pretty much take a piece of surface and make a bit of terrain out of it with a bunch of bits, sand, or whatever you can think of glued to it, or painted with texture paint, and then you prime it black or whatever.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I really like my texture palette for drybrushing, it is very helpful for seeing how it is going to look when applied and has saved me from disaster a few times. You can make your own if you have an FDM printer, or just purchase one. I am not adverse to purchasing tools, if you are going to be painting frequently, especially more than playing anything, it makes sense to work towards having the best possible tools.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cardboard Fox posted:

You can go to the dollar store and get makeup brushes for a couple bucks that work amazingly for dry brushing.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Lumpy posted:

You can go to the dollar store and get makeup brushes for a couple bucks that work amazingly for dry brushing.

What good is this hobby if I don't have a separate budget spreadsheet dedicated to it.

I also purchased a base kit and will be trying my hand at making a desert base for my Orcs. However, that is my final purchase of 2023!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Opposite direction from dry brushing, but the number one recurring frustration I have with painting is: is the paint thin enough, and is there the right amount of paint on and in the bristles. A wet palate has helped tremendously because I don't really need to actively thin the paint down as much if I don't use too much and mic it around on the palate, but it's still a tremendously frustrating moment when I give that first brush stroke on the model and realize "nope, nope, you've messed up". Or, in the opposite direction, I'll accidentally get it perfect and the paint will flow out smoothly in a thin, even coat that seems endless, and I'll know it won't be that good again the next time I return to the palate.

I'm trying to be mindful of it, and keep adjusting, but I really wish it would just be right every time, bleh.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lumpy posted:

The trick is to buy cosmetic products like brushes and nail files online and watch a bunch of makeup tutorials.

You'll spend less than on specialty hobby tools, learn how to better paint faces, and start gaming the algorithms until they start concluding wargamers are into drag and not 5 hour rants about wokeness.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i slay in the name of the emperium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cthulu Carl posted:

The trick is to buy cosmetic products like brushes and nail files online and watch a bunch of makeup tutorials.

You'll spend less than on specialty hobby tools, learn how to better paint faces, and start gaming the algorithms until they start concluding wargamers are into drag and not 5 hour rants about wokeness.

People at work are confused at how I know how to do manicures now after deep diving into the algorithm once it got skewed by makeup tutorials