Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hmmm I think I'm gonna play it safe and start with a shooty character, this home world sounds quite good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think I will as usual be boring and go with a leader/support type character. They seem powerful as usual and don’t look to have a lot of negative overlap with existing companions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Full breakdown of Cassia. She's so unique and developed that there must be some kind of future plans for letting you create Navigators as mercs or play as one in some additional content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrzqwKX2_cY

Starting Abilities
Lidless Stare: All creatures take 1+WP damage, must pass a +30 WP check or be stunned. Unlimited Range. Spends all MP, cannot attack after.
Notch of Purpose: Select a square, enemies closest to the square move 4 cells to if even if stunned or immobilized.

Abilities
(you get to pick Navigator Origin Abilities in the same space as the Archetype abilities. When you become an Exempler, you can't select Navigator abilities anymore.)
Glimpse of Fate: Target gains +WP bonus to increased hit chance for next attack, dodge on next dodge, resistance on next resistance check
Mend Reality: Decrease Veil degradation by WP, allies gain +WP deflection against psychic powers
Reveal the Light: Ally gains bonus to WP and TGH until end of combat
Show the Path: Select ally with at least 1 melee weapon, immediately gives them ability to Charge for 0AP
Vigil Beyond Time: Target any creature, targets take WP check, if failed it marks them. Using the ability a 2nd time returns the target to where they were the first time and sets their HP to what it was at that time as well.
Held in My Gaze: Deal WP damage to an enemy, if they fail a WP check they are immobilized until your next turn.
Immolate the Soul: Does WP damage to all targets in a line and inflicts Soul Burn (regular burning effect, psykers/demons takes extra damage)
Scourge of the Red Tide: Creates a 3x3 cell, deals WP damage to all enemies inside the area, who enter the area, or begin their turn in the area
Visions of Hell: All enemies in a 4 cell radius take a WP penalty to their WP and TGH until the end of combat.
Warp Curse Unleashed: All incoming warp damage is increased, all other damage increased slightly less, will curse the enemy closest to them next turn,
Point of Curiosity: All enemies in 6 cell radius take a WP check, if failed they move 3 cells to the target point(may be one of the best abilities in the game)
Spot of Apathy: Create 3 cell radius, all creatures inside take a WP test, if they fail they gain Apathy, if they fail again next round, they cannot dodge or make AoO.
Zone of Fear: Create 3x3 zone, all creatures take a WP check or move out of the zone, movement can trigger AoO from allies.

Talents
(same as psyker, can take Navigator talents instead of Archetype.)
Course Untraveled: each time you use a Navigator power for the first time, gain +2 PER until end of combat
Blood Augury: Enemies damaged by the Navigator take +PER extra warp damage, bonus damage stacks for each hit.
Ebb and Flow: Every even turn, gain +1AP, every odd turn, gain +20 PER.
Eye of Oblivion: All enemies in line of sight have their dodge and hit chanced reduced based on PER
Tonicity: Navigator powers deal 1 extra damage for every 5 bonus characteristics of the Navigator's equipped staff.
Mastery of Time: Whenever a creature gets an extra turn, Navigator gets stacking +5 bonus to WP.
Mind of Matter: Navigator makes all resistance tests using WP, if WP is higher then TGH, HP is determined by WP.
Open to the Wrap: Enemies affected by Navigator abilities take stacking -10 penalty to their next resistance test, penalty is lost after the test.
Pass Unscathed: If PER is higher then AGI, dodge is calculated from PER
Stable Routes: Reduces Veil by 1 whenever using a Navigator ability
Strange Vitality: Heals Navigator based on WP every turn, gains +1HP for every Navigator talent, and +1 for every creature killed in between turns
Perilous Ways: Enemies moved by Navigator take damage based on WP, damage is +2 for every cell moved.
Threads and Faults: When an enemy fails a resistance test against Navigator power, attacks against them gain a stacking +PER crit chance, effect lasts until next critical hit
Unblinking Stare: Enemies damanged by Navigator take +PER damage from all AoO and cannot dodge them
Undam the Sea of Souls: Enemies under effect of Navigator power have armor reduce by WP, reduction is increased by Devastating parameter of a staff.
Under my Proctection: Allies targeted by abilities gain +5 to all resistance tests until the end of combat, effect stacks with every ability.
Unnatural Allure: Gain +5 FEL and an additional +1 FEL for every Navigator talent and ability.
Veil of Protection: Allies targeted by power gain +10% armor, reduced by Veil degradation, or increased by infusing parameter of a staff.
Guide of Souls: Navigator starts all turns with +3 MP, first ally targeted will a single target ability gains the same until their next turn.

She's a potential high damage dealer on a level that makes psykers look like a joke. Sky high WP and PER will make her a massive threat to literally everything and the ability to casually yank enemies out of cover every turn is a must have.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 27, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I had to stop myself from using Cassia too much because of how powerful her default powers were lol. Argenta too

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cassia is gonna be the Shadowheart of this game

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That's kind of wild how strong she is, you could at least make a strong marksman to replace Argenta but Navigator Origin is like a premium Psyker without having lose talents to take more psy rating.

Unless there are some Psy Rank 4/5 abilities that can force movement out of cover, Cassia would practically be mandatory for a Core playthrough.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The thing is, that's not far off from how Navs were on the tabletop, too. You could create some absolutely cracked Navigator characters; if they weren't so valuable, they'd be used on battlefields and the like by the Imperial Guard.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Imagine having one person on your 18,000 person ship that makes it so you can travel and then regularly exposing that person to small arms fire.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Tune down some numbers maybe but I’m a big fan of more companions having unique mechanics that are unavailable to the player. I like that some Deadfire companions had unique subclasses for instance. Doesn’t need to be everyone but where it makes sense I wish Owlcat would do it more.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eifert Posting posted:

Imagine having one person on your 18,000 person ship that makes it so you can travel and then regularly exposing that person to small arms fire.

"I hope you've been treating the prize of our House appropriately, Trader Von Valancius"

"yeah we got into uhhhh like 20 firefights on the way here. Cassia personally murdered about sixty people. we had to revive her twice"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Do leaders actually spend much time fighting or are they mostly shouting orders to the others? My thought for my first character was someone who mostly dumps proper ranged combat in exchange for shouting and maybe a flamethrower.

Edit: The problem I had in my test run through the first act was that my first character was a naval officer soldier who immediately almost fully overlapped with Argenta, and she just did it better because of the starting bolter versus whatever early game trash I could scavenge.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPAtEonHROc

Exemplar starts at level 36 automatically, you get 19 levels in it (or maybe 20 not sure). As you progress

- select 5 talents from the first archetype, levels 1-15
- select 5 talents from the second archetype, levels 16-35
- 2 selections from the full list of both archetype talents
- 6 chances to get +10 to any skills
- 6 chances to raise any stats by 5
- select 1 ability from first archetype
- select 1 ability from second archetype
- select 1 ability from list of both archetypes
- at rank 10, gain +1AP
- select 5 exemplar talents from a list of 39

Exemplar talents are a mix of talents suited to every playstyle some more then others. Extermination that are just stacking damage increases for attacks during combat, meanwhile Know-It-All is a very good permanent buff to armor pen, dodge, dodge reduction, crit chance, crit damage, and parry that scales with INT.

DeathSandwich posted:

Do leaders actually spend much time fighting or are they mostly shouting orders to the others? My thought for my first character was someone who mostly dumps proper ranged combat in exchange for shouting and maybe a flamethrower.

Edit: The problem I had in my test run through the first act was that my first character was a naval officer soldier who immediately almost fully overlapped with Argenta, and she just did it better because of the starting bolter versus whatever early game trash I could scavenge.

Leaders, now the Officer archetype, focus on willpower and fellowship. The core focus is extra turns, single target buffs, rescuing allies, and momentum. Between the psyker origin and the second archetype I think you can probably make a ranged or melee leader quite easily for normal difficulty. You don't even need to be hitting for massive damage, you could focus on burning/poisoning weapons for all the abilities those effects stack with. Jae is a Officer and starts with Gunslinger meaning she gets a 0AP ranged attack every turn with her offhand weapon.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 28, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

The problem with asking people now about leader is basically everyone is going to play the beta with only Cassia in the leader role and there's 100% something better to be doing with her on any given turn.

The people who are playing the release version early seem to be very enthusiastic about the leader role though, particularly with the prestige class where you set zones in the combat encounter that give people buffs and debuffs

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dunno, I think Cassia's great in a support leader role, especially once you stick Unnatural Allure on her (which in turn should make her great at passing FEL tests). Don't get me wrong, using her as a frontline damage dealer is great, but Warp Gaze does friendly fire and with a +30 Resistance roll for those caught in it isn't all that hot. A properly-equipped and specced melee character could probably do a lot more in combat in the lategame, and her ability to calm the warp should save you a lot of trouble if you've got multiple psykers in the group, which I certainly will.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can't find any news on the mercenary system past a few scattered reddit posts, looks like it's currently just the same options as the player character, nothing special or exotic. The system is also bugged as well turning out mercs with 3AP and unlimited movement.

Meanwhile Owlcat is trying to drum up sales for their Collector's Edition with the statue, it looks cool but $200+ for an 8 inch statue is Japanese PVC figurine level prices. For those you expect it to be literally perfect, and Owlcat does not have a good track record with that kind of thing.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

Can't find any news on the mercenary system past a few scattered reddit posts, looks like it's currently just the same options as the player character, nothing special or exotic. The system is also bugged as well turning out mercs with 3AP and unlimited movement.

Meanwhile Owlcat is trying to drum up sales for their Collector's Edition with the statue, it looks cool but $200+ for an 8 inch statue is Japanese PVC figurine level prices. For those you expect it to be literally perfect, and Owlcat does not have a good track record with that kind of thing.

My head says ' wait at least till spring', my body needs it's crpg fix. Don't worry, I submit reports so stuff may be fixed 2 years down the road.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

JamMasterJim posted:

My head says ' wait at least till spring', my body needs it's crpg fix. Don't worry, I submit reports so stuff may be fixed 2 years down the road.

One playthrough now, one once they’re finished with the game. Best of both worlds.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those of you who played the WotR on opening day, how bad was it? I played the game two weeks after release, and it didn't seem too bad, but I was also busy in my personal life around then and didn't play much, only letting the game update now and then. If RT is anywhere near that stable for me, I'd be satisfied.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I played WotR from launch and honestly never had any serious issues. Part of it because I played slowly enough that serious things kinda got patched ahead of me, and I just lucked into not playing the paths that were worst off. But it really wasn’t that bad.

RT I expect to be more polished just from how much simpler it is structurally. The beta at least seemed more complete and more stable that Wrath’s.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CommissarMega posted:

For those of you who played the WotR on opening day, how bad was it? I played the game two weeks after release, and it didn't seem too bad, but I was also busy in my personal life around then and didn't play much, only letting the game update now and then. If RT is anywhere near that stable for me, I'd be satisfied.

yeah it was fine, there were some wrinkles further into the campaign but the first part was tight.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anno posted:

I played WotR from launch and honestly never had any serious issues. Part of it because I played slowly enough that serious things kinda got patched ahead of me, and I just lucked into not playing the paths that were worst off. But it really wasn’t that bad.

RT I expect to be more polished just from how much simpler it is structurally. The beta at least seemed more complete and more stable that Wrath’s.

All right, thanks for the info! There's a chance I might be out of my home state and somewhere where internet access is wonky just a few days after RT releases, so I was thinking of installing and playing it on my laptop first.

sebmojo posted:

yeah it was fine, there were some wrinkles further into the campaign but the first part was tight.

Yeah, that was what I was hoping to hear. I don't mind if Acts 4 and 5 are buggy, just as long as the early to mid game is all right.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CommissarMega posted:

Mostly functional, certainly better than kingmaker. I can't remember specifically what it was, but I only personally hit one showstopping bug. I know people who advanced faster than me hit a bunch in the untested stuff in act 4, but those were mostly resolved by the time I personally made it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My advice from playing the beta is to take it slow and make a concentrated effort to explore as much as possible as quick as possible once the game opens up. It was already super engrossing and I'm sure they've made it more polished and deeper since. It's also the best way to force ship combat and you want to fight as many ship battles as you can to level up your craft.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

it was actually beatable in the first few days, just some side quest triggers not working, lots placeholder text especially in Act 5. There was some rough stuff, they had to balance the difficulty of some encounters because they were quite frankly insane, and it was obvious a lot of Act 5 stuff was rushed out in a spit+duct tape shape. There's a real problem of running into confusing situations and not being able to tell if its by design or not.

My favorite memory was that Bolster Spell was bugged so it did way more damage then it should, a Bolstered magic missile would do 150-200 damage, and they patched that by the second week. The same major week 2 patch was also the one that broke the game for the Act 4 to Act 5 transition.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eifert Posting posted:

My advice from playing the beta is to take it slow and make a concentrated effort to explore as much as possible as quick as possible once the game opens up. It was already super engrossing and I'm sure they've made it more polished and deeper since. It's also the best way to force ship combat and you want to fight as many ship battles as you can to level up your craft.

Oh, I most certainly am going to do all that (I've actually pre-ordered and have been in since the alpha, derp :kiddo: ). I just wanted to know how it'd be like if/when I'd need to go out of state.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

I remember gray garrison crashing constantly on the first day in one room in particular that affected quite a few folks. And a few other pretty bad bugs. But overall the game was still playable. The final parts of the game were pretty bad too but that only matters if you get there fast enough before anything gets fixed. But in wrath there was enough stuff to do that theres plenty of time for stuff to get fixed before you get there. So I'd assume the same will be true for this game too.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

the class I picked straight up didn't work and I had to start over and pick a different one after 10 hours

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

the class I picked straight up didn't work and I had to start over and pick a different one after 10 hours

Mounted class, incense huffer or perhaps arcanist archetype beyond the standard one?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Having no experience with the system, what's a good starting MC build? Not necessarily for OPness but someone that doesn't overlap with the companions.

Like in the Pathfinder games I can take a quick glance at the companions and see what classes they are and fill in the gaps without digging into their details and running into spoilers but I don't know what to look at without digging into theory crafting and running spoiler risk.

I just don't want to create an MC and realize there's a companion that does the same thing.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Having no experience with the system, what's a good starting MC build? Not necessarily for OPness but someone that doesn't overlap with the companions.

Like in the Pathfinder games I can take a quick glance at the companions and see what classes they are and fill in the gaps without digging into their details and running into spoilers but I don't know what to look at without digging into theory crafting and running spoiler risk.

I just don't want to create an MC and realize there's a companion that does the same thing.
This does not work that well for this game, cause birth world , origin and archetype are all very important for character creation (especially the later 2). and the archetype splits after lv 16.
And some companions have unique talents not accessible to you anyway.
Finally, with just 4 starter archetypes and 6 tier 2ones, there will be SOME overlap in that regard.
For example, if you wanted to make a full PEWPEWPEW character (like say Fortress World, Imperial Guard, Solder/Marksman), keeping marksman Argenta in the team to shoot things would still liy be optimal (you become Bounty Hunter and she goes arch militant later on).

Still, if you wanted an archetype not covered as much and that companions may not want to focus on, you'd probably pick Officer/Leader(Cassia as your navigator can focus more on unique navigator talents for example, so she would still have place in your team)..

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 29, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

Still, if you wanted an archetype not covered as much and that companions may not want to focus on, you'd probably pick Officer/Leader(Cassia as your navigator can focus more on unique navigator talents for example, so she would still have place in your team)..

Cool. That works then especially if overlap is unavoidable. Just don't want to run into any issues like rolling a bard to start Kingmaker, running into Linzi 10 minutes in and realizing the designated storyline best buddy NPC is mechanically redundant.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a six-person party with four classes

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

It's a six-person party with four classes

And of the 10 potential companions, 2 are unique aliens, 1 is a Space Marine, and 2 are wholly unique types of Humans, AdMech and Navigator.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

Court Poet?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
On uniqueness-chat, do note that, so far as we know, there are no companions who have Sanctic, Pyromancer or Telepath psyker powers as their main choice (Idira has a sub in telepath, but she's mainly a diviner). So that'll be an easy way to give your RT some uniqueness (I'll be doing a ranged pyro for my first run).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I’m gonna make my guy a Necron

Anno
May 10, 2017

Owlcat did say they were improving modding capabilities for this game by a good bit compared to PF. Maybe we’ll get some fun mods like that since there are already Necron models in the game to use.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

On uniqueness-chat, do note that, so far as we know, there are no companions who have Sanctic, Pyromancer or Telepath psyker powers as their main choice (Idira has a sub in telepath, but she's mainly a diviner). So that'll be an easy way to give your RT some uniqueness (I'll be doing a ranged pyro for my first run).

Idira starts as Operative Unsanctioned with Divination and Telepathy, unsanctioned means she casts at +1 psy rank and +5% to trigger warp perils.

Heinrix starts as Warrior with Biomancy as a sanctioned psyker, -20% to trigger warp perils. He was set up in the beta to use force weapons, which can add psyker damage to melee attacks with the talent.

Idira is built as dodge/ranged and Heinrix as armor/melee. How well you could tinker with them is somewhat limited as their first archetype is set in stone. It's a significant talent cost in general, psyker is basically a separate class competing with the archetypes, as you need to take both Psy ranks, up to rank 5, then your psyker schools, Biomancer, Pyromancer, Santic, Diviner, Telepath, and then psyker abilities plus psyker talents, both from a general list and a school specific list. The abilities are unlocked as you progress further in psy rank too.

For the player the flexibility is pretty insane and you can build pretty much any type of psyker you want, from backline healer Grand Strategist to frontline murdermachine Assassin.

There's something with the mechanics about how psyker abilities count as attacks, and whether or not perception effects your hit chance, that I recall from a while back that hasn't been made clear to me.

As a note, there's a consequence with the last archetype rank at 35, Exemplar, where Cassia loses access to her homeworld/origin talent picks, and I don't know if that is universal or specific to her.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

JamMasterJim posted:

Mounted class, incense huffer or perhaps arcanist archetype beyond the standard one?

It was Judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Owlcat video breaking down the basic combat mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA1C_6v4rP0

Ranged Combat
- Need to roll equal or less then 30+BS to hit
- Standard dodge chance is 30+(target's AGI - attackers PER)%
- Full cover gives you 60% to avoid getting hit, half cover is 35%
- If you shoot more then half the weapons effective range, hit chance becomes 15+(BS/2)
- Burst fire all have separate to-hit rolls
- Area Attacks, if to hit roll fails, targets suffering a grazing hit, 50% of original damage
- Burst and AoE can hit allies

Melee
- Parry Chance is 2 x (target WS+parry bonus) - (attackers WS +parry reduction)
- Melee has 100% to hit, but will be dodged/parry whichever is higher
- Each ally next to your target gives you a +10 WS when attacking
- If in melee range you cannot use most ranged weapons, only pistols and shotguns
- If holding a melee weapon you make attacks of opportunity on anything who tries to leave a neighboring tile

Defense
- Deflection decreases damage by a flat number value
- Armor is % of damage absorbed after deflection
- Penetration will modify the targets armor
- Crits start at 10% doing 150% damage
- Every increase to hit chance after 95% increases ranged crit hit chance in a 1:1 ratio
- Melee crit chance is equal to (Attacker WS-target WS)

Momentum/Morale
- Fights starts with 100
- Increases as enemies go down, decreases as allies go down-
- Heroic Act becomes available when momentum hits 175, first use costs 75 momentum and each consecutive use costs 25 more.
- Desperate Measures: Available when momentum drops below 25, heavy drawbacks