Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

To clarify, the Chunky app is the one that stopped updating in 2020, not sure when ComicZeal stopped working but it must've been earlier than that
The Chunky guy was active on GitHub and Twitter last year, so at least it didn't stop updating because he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I say don’t read any sequels to any BDO book. The sequels always chose to answer the question of who built the Rama or the Ringworld, and that answer doesn’t really matter.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Does anyone know what book I'm talking about below?

The frame story is a widower who takes his young daughter to Italy to try to move on. But it dives into the history of everyone and everything he sees. Like it'll detour into a story of a member of the Red Brigades decades earlier. Sometimes, like an Icelandic saga, it will give the history of someone the protagonist meets and then the history of people they had met. e.g. There will be a story about a woman who grew up with a father who hated gentiles, and then it will dive into his experience during WWII as a professional artist and later a death camp inmate, and then it will go even into the experiences of the Nazi who kept him alive to play the piano. The main side-story is that of a childhood friend of the protagonist, who grew up the son of some military officer and later rebelled in college but then turned around and became a Catholic priest.

The title has "Sea" or "Beach" in it. The author I recall mostly wrote books about cadets at the Citadel. It was one of the options for book reports in Ontario high schools so maybe it was also that elsewhere.

I ask because if it were well written, and didn't have the melodramatic ending it does, it would probably be the best novel I had ever read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Maybe prince of tides by pat conroy?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe prince of tides by pat conroy?

Beach Music by Pat Conroy!

Thank you!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bright Bart posted:

Beach Music by Pat Conroy!

Thank you!

Yeah Pat Conroy is a weird one because he's a bad writer but has somehow managed to turn out some amazing novels. The Water is Wide and Prince of Tides are probably his best. Very boomer writes southern lit and individual scenes are often quite badly written but the whole is sometimes greater than the parts

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh God this unearthed memories. I had to read a Pat Conroy book for college. Which one was about young fresh military cadets getting into drama and one of them died, either accident or suicide? The whole thing was kinda Dead Poets Society ish with the remaining friend group reacting somewhat poorly to the death. Sadly the most specific thing I remember is the casual use of an Italian slur in the first or second chapter and hating the book overall.

I've read some bad books in my time. The rest for that class were no winners either.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/doom-guy-john-romero/1140973076

The John Romero biography is really good so far, I'm in the first few chapters. First chapter is :catstare:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/doom-guy-john-romero/1140973076

The John Romero biography is really good so far, I'm in the first few chapters. First chapter is :catstare:

Nice, $4.86 on sale for Audible. Thanks, just the thing for listening to while doing chores today.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just popping in to say that my wife is nearing the end of the second book of Fonda Lee's Green Bone Saga and has been absolutely obsessed with it and utterly loves it. So thank you to whoever originally recommended that ages ago.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Nice, $4.86 on sale for Audible. Thanks, just the thing for listening to while doing chores today.

Everything has been on sale on Audible. Good time to stock up!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nearly finished with "Strata" and just found out it's not part of a series. I guess I was thinking of the Bromeliad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

Just popping in to say that my wife is nearing the end of the second book of Fonda Lee's Green Bone Saga and has been absolutely obsessed with it and utterly loves it. So thank you to whoever originally recommended that ages ago.

Following up on this - I've never seen my wife as stressed out with a book as she was toward the end of Jade War. She spent the last two hours of the audiobook in a state of immense tension and anxiety and then, after finishing, was exhausted for the rest of the day. She is generally not too reactive to books and films, but this one got to her. Good times.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Following up on this - I've never seen my wife as stressed out with a book as she was toward the end of Jade War. She spent the last two hours of the audiobook in a state of immense tension and anxiety and then, after finishing, was exhausted for the rest of the day. She is generally not too reactive to books and films, but this one got to her. Good times.

It's genuinely really good, and the third book manages to pay off the whole series in a way I was pretty impressed with, there's a lot going on and a lot of interwoven storylines in those books so it was cool to see it stick the landing in a pretty satisfying way

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

It's genuinely really good, and the third book manages to pay off the whole series in a way I was pretty impressed with, there's a lot going on and a lot of interwoven storylines in those books so it was cool to see it stick the landing in a pretty satisfying way

Yeah, originally physically read the first book. She was going to do the same for the second but then switched over to audiobook because she's recently started a new job with a bit of commute time - giving plenty of audiobook time. Instead of hopping straight into the second book, she listened to the audiobook for Jade City and then moved on to Jade War. After finishing Jade War, she's now thinking she wants to listen to it again before hopping into Jade Legacy.

She often has a bit of trouble following a lot of the details of fantasy or fantasy-adjacent stories. Something about fictional names of places just causes her difficulties following what's going on and she'll often get names mixed up. So that second time through allows her to more deeply understand what wider story. Regardless, she's loving loving this trilogy and has been obsessed with it in a way that I have never really seen her get with books.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIW5jBrrsS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIW5jBrrsS0

Pretty neat video, but he goes into some beautiful libraries. Belgium might be worth visiting for those!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Boy, oh boy does Ringworld reflect when it was written good lord.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm so sick of zombies in everything but holy poo poo Zone One has reinvigorated the love I have for the genre. It's brought me back to where I was in the mid-late 2000's where I loved the classic Romero movies, the early 90's Night, and the Day of the Dead remake. Where I was when I started watching the first season of Walking Dead. The book has heart and soul and action and honest truth. It's amazing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I fukn love books

wonder how expensive it would be to start a bookstore ? I could be working and reading all day :allears:

I regret buying so many ebooks these past few years instead of physical copies. Not life-regret, just a little regret, because to be fair reading in the dark is great, e-readers have their advantages. I skipped BluRays and went all digital and it was the right choice, and I figured I'd do the same when the Kindles came out.

But some physical copies have wonderful design lately, they really invite you to read. Bought Norse Mythology by Gaiman and it's a gorgeous design, black and gold :love: Also bought Mythos by Stephen Fry, based on the cover design, and the definitive Anne Frank diary edition in some wonderful shade of yellow. Ivory and Bone bought too, no idea what it is, but it was on sale, and the cover was very nice. I think I would've enjoyed Infinite Jest a lot more in a physical version. Oh, and the new Odyssey translations, just gorgeous design all around.

It doesn't really capture the shininess and niceness tbh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Modern éditions of many works now are lacking in quality. This print on demand and lack of quality control really ruins the experience. I don't love reading on an eraser but I'll take it over low quality paper, poorly set type, and badly formatted texts.

Hardcovers barely even exist anymore it feels like

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'll say it: hardcovers loving suck and should be replaced by mass-market paperbacks. Drives me nuts that the only option to preorder some books is hardback and I have to wait for it to actually release.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress that

They're huge, heavy, easy to damage with dentable corners / easily ruined dust jackets, and are super duper expensive

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have loads of shelving now in my house and I feel kind of guilty that the only books I own are fancy copies that I basically buy as a memorial that says "this is the kind of book I like", because all the actual reading I do happens via e-reader.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're huge, heavy, easy to damage with dentable corners / easily ruined dust jackets, and are super duper expensive

Look at how hosed the spine of Monte Cristo is from one reading of it compared to the Mann collection which is decades older. Look at how much better the hardcover of An Evil Guest has held up compared to the paperback. A book should last centuries, ain't no paperback gonna be doing that without help.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

For Let's Read threads, are there any guidelines about how much of the book is appropriate to post?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Look at how hosed the spine of Monte Cristo is from one reading of it compared to the Mann collection which is decades older. Look at how much better the hardcover of An Evil Guest has held up compared to the paperback. A book should last centuries, ain't no paperback gonna be doing that without help.

Yeah this is correct, if you want a book to last decades, get the hardcover :shrug: the dust jackets are expendable

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

dust jackets are the perfect bookmarks. there are some paperbacks who have these little flaps inside to mimic them, and while they work in a pinch, isn’t the same

I only really strain a bit when the hardcover I read is over 600 pages long and/or has a weird and larger format (like my copy of Savage detective)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'll say it: hardcovers loving suck and should be replaced by mass-market paperbacks. Drives me nuts that the only option to preorder some books is hardback and I have to wait for it to actually release.

simply bind your own books in coptic style with handmade inks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Hardcovers barely even exist anymore it feels like

???

E: anyway my eyesight has started to go so now ludicrously oversized Anglo hardcovers are my friend.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 10, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They (we?) used to do stiched paperbacks from at least the 1940s to the 1960s and they hold up great but look like rear end because the glue has dried and made the spines all ribbed. Or sometimes of course the covers are gone but all pages are there because of the stiching.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://x.com/TheNerdforge/status/1725983020312604929?s=20

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

???

E: anyway my eyesight has started to go so now ludicrously oversized Anglo hardcovers are my friend.

same. Mass market paperbacks are requiring at least +1.50 reading glasses these days

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

same. Mass market paperbacks are requiring at least +1.50 reading glasses these days

This is one reason I prefer ebooks these days. Especially if I'm tired. Just crank that font up to mega.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

This is one reason I prefer ebooks these days. Especially if I'm tired. Just crank that font up to mega.

I'd be with you except my Kindle app is on my Pixel phone so I'm constantly flipping pages. I probably should just get a tablet at some point

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

I'd be with you except my Kindle app is on my Pixel phone so I'm constantly flipping pages. I probably should just get a tablet at some point

It's worth getting a dedicated ebook reader. Tablet batteries don't last and the glow is harsh; e ink actually does matter.

At this point I'm only buying physical books for annotated or illustrated editions and to give as gifts, or sometimes a signed limited press edition or something since you can't collect an ebook or have it signed.

Of course part of that is my house is so full of bookshelves that there isn't much room for anything else.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course part of that is my house is so full of bookshelves that there isn't much room for anything else.

Time to use The Biggest Shelf.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Seconding Hieronymous Alloy here, my kindle oasis is super comfortable and great for reading. I've had a regular kindle and now the oasis and both are great.

That said I have determined that I really prefer mass market paperbacks. I just like paperfeel.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

LLSix posted:

For Let's Read threads, are there any guidelines about how much of the book is appropriate to post?

Not that I am aware. Please use good judgement wrt copyright (and potential take down orders, lol like that will ever happen here) and scroll wheel fatigue when posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

It's worth getting a dedicated ebook reader. Tablet batteries don't last and the glow is harsh; e ink actually does matter.

At this point I'm only buying physical books for annotated or illustrated editions and to give as gifts, or sometimes a signed limited press edition or something since you can't collect an ebook or have it signed.

With you. We are trying to downsize our apartment for an eventual reno, and the enormous bookshelves are a hinderance so I am getting more in epub format and its a huge space saver.

I assume that I will be able to transfer non Kindle epubs via that program often posted in here, or alternatively, can I open Play Books with a Kindle?