Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Also Strionic Resonator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Do you think its worth running the full playset of nine Nazgul in a deck if you're going to be running any of them at all, or is just, like, 4, enough? (the commander isn't a lotr commander, so they aren't essential to the deck, just pretty good)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Are you trying to play a good deck or a cool deck?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What's the role of the nazgul in your deck?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

its for a Ratadrabik deck lol, if you make the Nazgul legendary off the ring tempt when it dies you can then make the token generated legendary again and either keep looping it or keep recurring the original nazgul and start spitting out nazgul tokens (bonus points if you can get something like blade of selves on one of them to start spitting out myriad tokens :v:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Batterypowered7 posted:

Are you trying to play a good deck or a cool deck?

There is no difference.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Would mirror box be good in a Ratadrabik deck?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mix. posted:

its for a Ratadrabik deck lol, if you make the Nazgul legendary off the ring tempt when it dies you can then make the token generated legendary again and either keep looping it or keep recurring the original nazgul and start spitting out nazgul tokens (bonus points if you can get something like blade of selves on one of them to start spitting out myriad tokens :v:

that seems super slow because you have to keep doing "ring temps you" effects which kinda sucks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

that seems super slow because you have to keep doing "ring temps you" effects which kinda sucks.

At least on paper you can shortcut it by explaining the loop.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Spanish Manlove posted:

ratadrabik doesn't care if the legendary is nontoken, so legendary tokens will still generate a new zombie token, so the nazgul will keep etb-ing and then ring tempting you, so you can keep designating the new token as your new ringbearer to make it legendary and therefore keep generating a new token. you just need a sac outlet of some kind to recur death triggers.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Mix. posted:

ratadrabik doesn't care if the legendary is nontoken, so legendary tokens will still generate a new zombie token, so the nazgul will keep etb-ing and then ring tempting you, so you can keep designating the new token as your new ringbearer to make it legendary and therefore keep generating a new token. you just need a sac outlet of some kind to recur death triggers.

Buddy,, friend, pal, have I got news for you

(It kills everybody with a Blood Artist and Rata in play)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

already in the deck :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Balon posted:

Hey folks, just a reminder that my 30-decks in 30-days Marathon winds up this week. If you want some commander brew inspiration ranging from budget to cEDH or just want to watch another goon talk Magic check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/@commandermechanic

I might just try your Malcolm and Frank deck!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I might just try your Malcolm and Frank deck!

At like $30 how can you not??

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Balon posted:

At like $30 how can you not??

Oh wow, clicking through and I'd watched your Krydle video months and months ago when I was first putting it together.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Looking through you've got a bunch of decks I tried to build like Hazezon and others I got I wasn't what to do with lol. Gonna have to read through to see what to steal!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Also I hit 20,000 subs on YouTube early in the month but rather than clutter an already busy month I'm releasing a special video today. A walkthrough of my favorite - FULLY FOIL'D OUT - Commander Deck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocTiQZLvzvM

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Balon posted:

Also I hit 20,000 subs on YouTube early in the month but rather than clutter an already busy month I'm releasing a special video today. A walkthrough of my favorite - FULLY FOIL'D OUT - Commander Deck:

Foil Underground Sea when, wizards?

(The link in the video description is incorrect and goes to the Blood Rites upgrade, the one in the comment is correct)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Balon posted:

Hell yeah! Congrats on the milestone. Loved the Nov brew series and was happy to have donated.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Man im tempted to get the ahoy mateys precon.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I think I would like the Merfolk deck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
With some small "make the land base not suck" upgrades and $10 worth or random stuff you can make the merfolk deck a serious threat

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Hell yeah! Congrats on the milestone. Loved the Nov brew series and was happy to have donated.

Thanks for helping out!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Having trouble finding a gamestore with all the cards for the Birds of a Feather deck. :negative:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

That’ll definitely slow down my dinosaur deck.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So finding the cards cost me 42 instead of 35, then there was the shipping from two different stores, and then there was the deck box, sleeves, and then Id ecided to add a fat pack at this point to justify the whole thing to myself...

120 canadian dollars. :negative:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

That's like $30 American or something. Not bad!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It’s really the double shipping costs that hurt, cause I couldnt find one place with all of them. The rest I got cause if I was gonna pay shipping anyway I might as well spend a bit more.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Managed to find the Dinos precon for retail instead of at an insanely marked up price. I’ve looked at a couple of upgrade guides(including Balon/Commander Mechanic!) but was curious if anyone here had thoughts on easy upgrades (outside of the usual “make the manabase not terrible”).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TotalHell posted:

Managed to find the Dinos precon for retail instead of at an insanely marked up price. I’ve looked at a couple of upgrade guides(including Balon/Commander Mechanic!) but was curious if anyone here had thoughts on easy upgrades (outside of the usual “make the manabase not terrible”).

Beyond the general manabase stuff, the hard points I hammer home every time someone asks about this deck:
  • You need enough mana to support your deck. This deck has like almost zero ramp and some of it starts on 3, and even has activated abilities it wants to run in addition to its high base mana costs. You need more ramp and you don't need 40 dinosaurs and 40 lands.
  • Your commander is Once Per Turn. You need to break this in order to get even marginal value out of it. You need to be running ways to blink your commander and/or play dinosaurs with flash (or make tokens at instant speed, or blink existing ones at instant speed, basically anything off-turn). If you aren't, your commander is only doing 25% of what it needs to.
  • You need dinosaurs that operate as early threats, and ones that have bigger butts than CMC. A Runic Armasaur or Thrashing Brontodon in this deck is worth twice as much at least as a 6-drop durdle.
  • You need haste. Rhythm of the Wild is good, but you absolutely need more, preferably not in an easily-removed body. Fires of Yavimaya or similar.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Beyond the general manabase stuff, the hard points I hammer home every time someone asks about this deck:
  • You need enough mana to support your deck. This deck has like almost zero ramp and some of it starts on 3, and even has activated abilities it wants to run in addition to its high base mana costs. You need more ramp and you don't need 40 dinosaurs and 40 lands.
  • Your commander is Once Per Turn. You need to break this in order to get even marginal value out of it. You need to be running ways to blink your commander and/or play dinosaurs with flash (or make tokens at instant speed, or blink existing ones at instant speed, basically anything off-turn). If you aren't, your commander is only doing 25% of what it needs to.
  • You need dinosaurs that operate as early threats, and ones that have bigger butts than CMC. A Runic Armasaur or Thrashing Brontodon in this deck is worth twice as much at least as a 6-drop durdle.
  • You need haste. Rhythm of the Wild is good, but you absolutely need more, preferably not in an easily-removed body. Fires of Yavimaya or similar.

Any Red/Naya deck needs it's best creature, Taurean Mauler.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Would a Graaz modular deck work?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Would a Graaz modular deck work?

Only in the absolute slowest tables. An 8-mana no-evasion/no-protection/no-haste commander in the worst color that doesn't actively actually win you the game is about as bad as it gets.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/18bj960/murders_at_karlov_manor_commander_deck_packaging/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I hope they get spicy reprints like the Ixalan decks

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Only in the absolute slowest tables. An 8-mana no-evasion/no-protection/no-haste commander in the worst color that doesn't actively actually win you the game is about as bad as it gets.

The idea being that it turns a whole bunch of smaller creatures into bigger ones. With modular all the +1+/+1 counters are added on top of that. Basically you set up the board then the commander is the craterhoof, sort-of.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I have a Graaz deck that’s more focused around the various Colorless token generators that’s a fun pretty dorky deck of turning random 1/1 dorks into an army to murder people. Does it win especially in the face of removal? Not really but it’s a fun low power deck.

I have some modular creatures in it, but mostly I use the Various Pentavus like creatures.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Graaz is fun as hell, go for it

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Seconding Graaz as a much better tokens deck than a modular one; stuff like the Aftermath Karn helps get him out faster and there's been some recent fun surprising tech cards like the Cyberman that gives all your dudes afflict :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I did a Graaz/Lux Artillery brew that ended up being a lot of fun. You basically only cast your commander when you’re ready to alpha strike. It was a good deck!