Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Where/what kind of silicone grease should I get to grease up the rails on my T160000000000000000000M throttle?

I genuinely wonder if wet lube would work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i used butter

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Inspector Hound posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Thanksgaming > Elite: Dangerous - I genuinely wonder if wet lube would work

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m genuinely enjoying exobiology. Finding a good planet, landing on the surface and hunting for plants and fungus tickles an exploration itch the I truly truly wish Starfield was capable of scratching. Planets with atmospheres are super pretty and I just love dune-bugging across the terrain in VR, turning my head this way and that trying to spot rare plants.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

chaosapiant posted:

Where/what kind of silicone grease should I get to grease up the rails on my T160000000000000000000M throttle?

Pretty much any kind, but I'd recommend thinner rather than thicker, you don't want the parts getting gummed up with residue. I used a cheap Amazon spray can and loosened the clamp so now I can slide it with just a pinky.

I also recently did the hall effect twist mod from this video which works like a charm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBo_dAvgZ1k if your twist is fine, obviously don't bother but for anyone who's been having trouble with it this was pretty easy to do.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tommy the Newt posted:

Pretty much any kind, but I'd recommend thinner rather than thicker, you don't want the parts getting gummed up with residue. I used a cheap Amazon spray can and loosened the clamp so now I can slide it with just a pinky.

I also recently did the hall effect twist mod from this video which works like a charm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBo_dAvgZ1k if your twist is fine, obviously don't bother but for anyone who's been having trouble with it this was pretty easy to do.

Thank you for this! Does the twist on these joysticks go out at some point? I’ve had mine for about five years and it still works like a dream. But maybe it’s something to keep an eye on?

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Thank you for this! Does the twist on these joysticks go out at some point? I’ve had mine for about five years and it still works like a dream. But maybe it’s something to keep an eye on?

They're prone to, all potentiometers eventually need a clean or wear out and the one in the T16000m is particularly cheap and under a lot of stress, but it'll depend on your climate and use. Mine needed cleaning and reseating about three times a year, but I live in a fairly humid place and I play a lot so YMMV. Don't do anything if you don't need to, but if it starts going wonky I recommend the mod I linked, it was cheap and easy to achieve and now I have 3 very accurate hall effect axes with no deadzone or drift so that's cool.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
New gold rush is here

The new Community Goal has, once again, offered us the opportunity for tremendous profit!

Here's the deal; the community goal is offering over 200k/each for tritium. This is theoretically for mined tritium, but while it doesn't count for the community goal, purchased tritium also pays the same, and can give you profit margins of 120 million credits per trip.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

thank you for the heads up, i may actually consider doing some of this

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Sorry I'm 15K light years in the black searching for the landscape signal. Enjoy the profits

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Sorry I'm 15K light years in the black searching for the landscape signal. Enjoy the profits

What does this mean and can it be done on console? It sounds like something I'd like.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

What does this mean and can it be done on console? It sounds like something I'd like.

https://canonn.science/codex/cartographics/the-landscape-signal/

Have fun :) It's quite fun

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Organic Lube User posted:

Yup, just follow the link and get out to Sagittarius A* to get scanning. Report your findings in the spreadsheet.

I've made billions in scanning and exobiology, and discovered dozens of systems at this point.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Didn't they put consoles in a separate legacy-mode? I'm not sure that kind of thing will work outside of PC nowadays.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Libluini posted:

Didn't they put consoles in a separate legacy-mode? I'm not sure that kind of thing will work outside of PC nowadays.

Surely the systems are the same, though, I thought they just split the two economies

e the end of that article does point out that it might just be a cool detail frontier placed juuuust off center from where they meant it to be, and it's caused multiple players to systematically drive themselves insane.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 18, 2023

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

My understanding is that the landscape signal has been present since horizons.

The current research indicates it originates slightly off to the side of the center of the galaxy. There's hundreds of thousands of stars in that area so it will take time.

Supposedly there are still several generation ships to find as well. Those could be literally anywhere.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Supposedly there are still several generation ships to find as well. Those could be literally anywhere.

Hey, that's neat! I thought the generation ships were all in the bubble, and just ignored them since I'm never there.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I don't think I've ever seen one, I've got to find a good list of the ones discovered. There must be some clues about where they are, the year they left and their destination or something, maybe stored in a satellite somewhere.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i did a few tritium runs in the laziest way possible, which was hopping in my python and going to medium stations one jump away

i still bagged ~35m a pop tho

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Frontier: First Encounters is one of my favorite games of all time and I put many, many hours into it as a child, and when this went on sale recently I finally bit the bullet and picked it up. From briefly skimming the thread it looks like the general consensus is that the game is broken and dead and no one plays it anymore, but honestly so far it is delivering exactly the experience I wanted out of it, which is 'FFE but better'. The whole thing was immediately familiar coming from the old Elite games, it really does feel like a sequel and not just a completely new game with the name slapped on. Everything in inhabited space is even approximately where I remember it being.

I am a bit annoyed that we apparently can't land on earthlike planets anymore when you could do that in FFE, but I suppose I understand why.

The first-person ground combat stuff is a bit weird - when the tutorial dumped me into an FPS segment I briefly thought I had installed the wrong game or something. It's not awful, I guess, it seems to mostly play just fine for what it is, but it's definitely not what I was expecting from an Elite title. The fantasy of being a space spy/thief/mercenary/revolutionary/whatever goes a long way towards carrying it for me, but the actual gameplay experience is nothing to write home about. If it were its own standalone game it would not be a very good one, but as side content in a space sim I don't think I hate it. Just being able to land my ship and get out and walk around and look at it has been pretty badass.

Poking at the background simulation a little has been interesting, too. I accidentally got killed and arrested almost immediately, I guess the nearest prison station was in the absolute middle of nowhere, and I have spent most of my time since jetting around the sparsely-traveled region of space I ended up in, doing missions for whatever minor powers seem the most interesting and bumping their influence up. It's kind of neat to see how actions taken by me individually effect the shape of the universe in very small, but still tangible ways - I found a system where no one else had been and spent an entire evening exclusively running missions for one minor rebel faction and more than doubled their influence, for example, and was able to push another from a close defeat in an ongoing conflict to a close victory by spending a bunch of time fighting for them. I imagine it's a lot harder in areas where there are established player groups operating.

I always ended up in an Asp Explorer in FFE so I have gravitated to one in this, with A-class FSD and thrusters mounted for maximum speed and range, and it's just as fun to fly as I remember it being. I have had a lot of trouble with it in space Conflict Zones, only managing to win two so far, but I can't tell if that is my own inexperience with the flight model or if my loadout is just not suited for combat.

I haven't played a ton yet, but so far it scratches a very specific itch that no other game has really managed except its own predecessor. The flight model is excellent, it looks great, the sound design is good, the gameplay is more or less exactly as I remember it being back in the 90s, and the whole 'simulated universe' aspect to it is pretty cool. I have not tried playing in Open yet and am not sure I will, but even as a single-player experience it's pretty compelling.

thinking about it a bit I guess any game that's still receiving support in 2023 is going to look pretty good when my benchmark for comparison is a notoriously buggy DOS game from 1995, granted

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 30, 2023

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

elite is fun and most people posting in this thread have thousands of hours to get sick of it and hate it, youll be fine

E also we can expect them to put out more ship skins or w/e theyre called than ever now since FDev is canning most of their plans and "returning to sims" lol. at this point id be happy with an overpriced DLC if it added anything at all to the game

Worf fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 30, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The game is enjoyable to me, and I've played it for well over 1500 hours.
If you end up playing that much and have gotten it in a sale, I think you can be satisfied too.

The bittervets have been through some absolute poo poo, but somehow they keep returning to the game - so for all the whinging, it's clearly scratching an itch they can't get anywhere else.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Literally no game like it out there, for real. There are games that have bits and pieces of Elite, but E:D is the only one that's the full package for realistic sci-fi space sims. It occupies a niche of itself.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/doulbedoink/status/1725988749304041862?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i even enjoy the ground game a bit hehehe

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Worf posted:

i even enjoy the ground game a bit hehehe

I do like tasing people with the energy tool from time to time.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The ground game isn't that fun by itself but it's fun in context, at least for me.

In a vacuum it feels like a middling mid-2000s FPS, with extremely basic stealth, fairly rudimentary combat, and a limited selection of game modes, but as one small part of a larger whole I think it adds a lot.

Being able to fly from orbit, disembark, and get out and perform missions/take on jobs/generally interact with the world is really cool, and completes the fantasy in a way that was always missing in the older titles.

More importantly, it ties into the larger background simulation, all of the missions you do (and even non-mission stuff like just killing people or selling things) bump the numbers around a bit. I have not touched, or even really looked at, the high-level 'Power Play' stuff yet, but the local minor-power skirmishes have been a lot of fun. Doing things like infiltrating a holding of the ruling government to sabotage it on behalf of a rebel group, carrying out a targeted assassination on behalf of a crime syndicate, raiding a pirate base, choosing sides in a civil war and fighting on the front lines, and knowing that it might actually change the shape of the game world (in a small, insignificant way, but still), in a way that is not pre-scripted or planned and might not have happened if I hadn't come by, is pretty neat. It adds another element that was missing from Elite 3 - in that, even if you chose a side in the ongoing cold war, the universe stays pretty static no matter what you do, and the closest thing you can do to altering the state of the game world is by playing through the pre-scripted story missions, which follow a defined plot and which are also time-limited and will happen without you if you don't track them down in time. Giving me a sandbox toy to play with instead lets me create my own little story.

It's a little thing, but it's a little thing which I like, and which few other games have really done in quite the same way. The closest would be maybe the X games, which I also love, but X4 is really a strategy game, in which the space sim is not really the game, it's the interface. Being a tiny cog in a huge machine - one which will continue to tick away whether I'm there or not, one which does not revolve around me, but which will react to my presence and respond when I do things to it - is a specific kind of experience I really enjoy, and one that I don't find very often. Similar sorts of vibes include modded STALKER with its A-Life system, the Drox Operative games, the Last Federation, the extremely old and obscure space sim Hardwar, and dynamic-campaign combat flight sims like Falcon 4.0 and Wings over Flanders Fields.

I think I'm just a sucker for dynamic campaigns in general, and being able to define my own objectives, plot out my own path to achieve those objectives, do it, and have the game actually react to it, is pretty loving cool. I am willing to put up with a lot of jank for that.

Way back in my teenage years I even played a shitload of Battlecruiser 3000AD because it promised that experience, lol, and I think I'm still kind of pissed at that game, not just for how much it over-promised and under-delivered, and how far the actual experience was from what was advertised, but for how good it still sounds on paper even to this day.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 1, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's dumb in the context of a lot of things with elite (why does a gun cost more than some ships? why is a shotgun the same damage output as a class 2-3 plasma cannon? how can a personal shield have more defensive power than the shields on a mid-to-large ship? why can one person blow up a ship with a handgun? what the gently caress is even going on here) but the gameplay did manage to be Good Enough to catch my brainworms-- even if part of that was just figuring out the most efficient way to interact with it in ways the developer obviously didn't intend for it to be interacted with.

I still wish they had taken more lessons from X4 about optional on foot content, though, even if it's just magic elevators on your ship that connect to the station elevators-- docking in a station and disembarking from a Cutter is sick as poo poo the first time but between the run to the station elevator and the run back, it loses it's lustre possibly faster than any gameplay mechanic I have ever initially enjoyed in any game ever

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I still wish they had taken more lessons from X4 about optional on foot content, though, even if it's just magic elevators on your ship that connect to the station elevators-- docking in a station and disembarking from a Cutter is sick as poo poo the first time but between the run to the station elevator and the run back, it loses it's lustre possibly faster than any gameplay mechanic I have ever initially enjoyed in any game ever

I still remember the first time I looked at the cutter and noticed the staircase that folds out under it has steps that are like a meter high. I don't think it's climbable even by jumping.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

disembarking from my ship at a station is like the least enticing way i could think to spend time in a video game, they gave us supercruise assist module then supplanted that gameplay with something that managed to be infinitely worse

they should make a thing that cost arxbux that skips that all

Worf fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 1, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
at this point i just count my blessings that they didn't decide to go full immersion and make you always use a terminal in the station, or load and unload commodities with a hand truck

also, for all it's faults, odyssey did actually manage to make small ships viable again, even if that was an inadvertent side effect of large ships being an absolute misery to use in nearly every aspect of foot content, so good job i guess

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Once the honeymoon period wears off, or if you're interested in getting geeky about the BGS, you can join Diamond Frogs https://inara.cz/elite/minorfaction-presence/8623/ (link for the discord in the OP). We are the largest Anarchy playergroup in the game and are pretty deep into the black box at this point.

I would also say if you want to gently caress around with the BGS by yourself it'd be good to check over the system you intend to play with on that website. It's not immediately clear whether a system is a stake for a player minor faction or a powerplay faction - there's basically nothing in-game that would indicate this - so you might find yourself working towards goals that are suddenly and violently crushed. Basically, on inara you can check two things:

1) is the controlling faction marked as "Player":

2) is is part of a Powerplay "sphere of influence" (or worse, a control system):

Both of which will be a good indicator that the system is of interest to some group or other.

Finding systems that nobody cares about is increasingly difficult these days as the bubble reaches player faction saturation point, but it is still possible, especially if you head out to the fringes a bit.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Holy poo poo that website is incredible, there is a ton of information there that it feels really should be accessible in the base game.

The 'I want to buy/want to sell' feature in particular is revolutionary, and it would have made a multiple-hour-long odyssey a couple nights ago to do a mission to source some specific commodities take minutes.

I guessed that some of the factions I encountered were player factions based on how high their influence was in how many systems (indicating somebody gave a poo poo about shoring them up), and also from their names (including one which was misspelled), and from checking that site it looks like I guessed correctly on all of them. I also killed a shitload of their dudes running missions against them and dropped one player faction's influence by over 25% in one of their systems before I realized it was a player faction, whoops.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Don't do what I did, which was travel directly from the newbie zone to Skvortsov Orbital in 63 G. Caprisoni.
Especially don't do it if the station is on fire, like it was when I got there - but I still tried to dock, so to commemorate that, I now have a Sidewinder parked there:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mister Bates posted:

Holy poo poo that website is incredible, there is a ton of information there that it feels really should be accessible in the base game.

This is way too long to be a thread title, but it is the thread title in spirit

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mister Bates posted:

Honeymoon just got cut short.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Mister Bates posted:

The 'I want to buy/want to sell' feature in particular is revolutionary, and it would have made a multiple-hour-long odyssey a couple nights ago to do a mission to source some specific commodities take minutes.

When I started ED I spent an entire weekend looking for size 2 A class multicannons, because all the other modules were graded and it seemed impossible to me that 2F was the highest available. Every forum I asked on people said 'best to check High Tech economies with a high population', so I did, diligently, for hours. Then I finally discovered that weapon grades are a relic from a long-dead alpha build when the game had RNG weapons with different stats (kind of like engineering is now, but just scattered around).

Braben actively seeks to befuddle and confound, so no question is too stupid and no amount of study of in-game blurb will lead you to the truth. I kinda like that in its own way, using and building 3rd party tools and guides to the point that it's basically the end/metagame.

The honeymoon period, for real it's great, but if you find yourself thinking 'wait a minute, something smells funny here' you'd almost certainly be right and can ask for help anytime.

Edit: changed to sound a bit less like a douche. I mean it in a fun haha way not a portentous or condescending way.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 1, 2023

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I am starting to realize that 'this game feels exactly like the DOS game I loved in 1995' is more true than I thought, and is simultaneously a ringing endorsement and a damning condemnation

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Bates posted:

I am starting to realize that 'this game feels exactly like the DOS game I loved in 1995' is more true than I thought, and is simultaneously a ringing endorsement and a damning condemnation

Yeah, this game's ostensible longevity has a symbiotic relationship with the community-- everyone who plays it plays it because it's got the best space-feel, but so so much of the ability to enjoy everything else about it is tied to a collective usage of third party tools to crowdsource in-game market and outfitting data, because the "intent" of the game in the first place was the player shouldn't be able to just know that-- the concept of picking up a space-phone and asking "hey do you have this poo poo in stock" or "hey do you have someone at your station that can do material trading" just wasn't realistic for the 3300s, I guess.

Similarly, even your current level of interaction with the BGS wasn't quite intended-- the idea was every player is a space ronin, wandering from system to system at random and things would shift dynamically between visits, but nobody would really stick around one spot to watch the long-term outcome, but since that's the one persistent thing that players can directly and specifically affect, it's turned into the longest-lived source of community gameplay (we won't talk about Frontier's attempt to lasso that drive to affect the universe in the form of powerplay, because powerplay is really really dumb).

Anyways upshot is if you like screwing with the sandbox aspect in terms of influence numbers, you're in good company and will probably be able to keep enjoying that since it's the least likely thing to get changed (unlike all the pvpers or hooners who had their ancillary gameplay loops swiped out from under them like a rug)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Mister Bates posted:

If only you could land on earth-like planets in E:D like you could in F:FE