Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

theironjef posted:

Sorry but your opinion got jacked by a lame and long running trend. You may now either claim everyone else is a poser or pick a new movie that occurs around Christmas. Weirdly Lethal Weapon also does but you never see that one come up.

Any Shane Black movie is valid except for The Predator which takes place during Halloween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

theironjef posted:

Weirdly Lethal Weapon also does but you never see that one come up.

You can pick any Shane Black movie right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Master Twig posted:

So why the hell can't the businesses that play Christmas music include these songs?
Probably the same reason they seem to play the same half-dozen songs on loop during the rest of the year. My guess is that they want to spend the minimum possible time picking out songs that they're reasonably certain are perceived positively by most and inoffensive by all, so the list they come up with is very small and doesn't change very often.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The trans Siberian orchestra song kicks rear end and should the only Christmas song.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Every Christmas in my house I insist on playing mariachi Christmas music, because mariachi is the fuckin best.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Shot dead". As opposed to what, shot alive?

If someone was fatally shot, just say that. 'Shot dead' is clunky.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Shot dead". As opposed to what, shot alive?

Ask 50 cent

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There was an FBI study on gunshot wounds and fatalities a couple decades ago and getting shot is surprisingly survivable.

Unless you're unlucky and they just hit an off button or no one finds you modern medicine has gunshot wounds handled.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I know service worker chat was a while ago, but it reminded me of the time I was a call center employee and a customer literally told me "And for the record, I know this isn't your fault, but it's your fuckin' job to listen to me yell so I'm gonna keep doing it!"

He wasn't my pet peeve. I appreciated his honesty.

My peeve was everyone who'd call in irate, rant for 10 minutes, then eventually quiet down and go "Oh but I know it's not your fault, I'm not mad at you, you had nothing to do with this."

Yeah, I know. I'm still the one who has to listen to your screaming rear end, so unless you come to that conclusion before picking up the phone it does nothing for me.

Related: people who would say "Oh, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble." You literally called the Get-People-In-Trouble line, ma'am, I don't know what you want me to do with that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I know service worker chat was a while ago, but it reminded me of the time I was a call center employee and a customer literally told me "And for the record, I know this isn't your fault, but it's your fuckin' job to listen to me yell so I'm gonna keep doing it!"

This would probably vary country to country, but I never worked a call centre job where they expected us to listen to people be dicks like that.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Elissimpark posted:

This would probably vary country to country, but I never worked a call centre job where they expected us to listen to people be dicks like that.
I only worked at a call center once and not for very long due to it being an absolute horrorshow of an abusive work environment, but they're weren't even policies in place to allow us to not listen to people yelling? We were not allowed to hang up on somebody, or talk back to them, and technically you could try to escalate it to a manager but realistically the manager would get mad at you if you did that for no reason other than "they yelled and were mean" because the manager on the floor expected us to just take it lol. And i don't actually think that experience was an outlier given every other person I've ever heard or read discussing call center work also had horror stories about it except, it seems, you. So I'm happy for you

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
We get trained on how to deal with difficult customers and sometimes when they are done being mad we can offer a useful solution, but we are also told that if the customer is getting personally abusive (it's one thing to be swearing about a neighbours idiocy, it's another to swear directly at us, "my loving neighbour keeps dumping sewage in my garden" is a very different use of swearing than "You and your colleagues are loving worthless" - the former we can advise on who to contact and possibly put an incident through, the latter is abusive and we are allowed to cut the line) we are allowed to end the call as my work prioritises our mental health.

That is the advantage of having a government job.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
When I used to work for a lovely little insurance brokerage, we had all these rules about how we were never allowed to give discounts or waive fees or whatever, no matter how pissed a customer is. However, if they ever asked to speak to one of the managers, the manager would just instantly give the discount they'd been asking for (and had been moaning to me about for the last ten mins) because all they wanted was an easy life.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
At Comcast we could hang up on them if they started directly abusing us, but it was pretty specifically defined what that meant. Basically slurs and sex stuff. Depending on the manager any direct insult. They could say “oh gently caress” but not “gently caress you” for mine.

We also had an escalations team though. They were who you sent angry people to because there werent enough manager hours in a day to handle all those angry olds. You could send pretty much anyone difficult there as long is it wasn’t really obvious you were shirking.

poo poo rear end place but shockingly humane by industry standards.

We serviced all of New England from Texas and the accents apparently sound indian to racist new englanders. So way more calls dropped for slurrage than you might hope.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When I worked at T-Mobile way back in 2004, we didn't outsource all of our calls, but if the volume was particularly high then tech support was outsourced. This one fellow called in, immediately screaming at me about all these fuckin Indians, he's sick of talking to Indians, give me a goddamn American to talk to, so I transferred him to my manager Aladdin*.

*edit just in case: Aladdin is a real name, I don't mean that like, it's not a reference to the fabled Aladdin

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Back when I worked in call centers I remember the better ones would include "You're allowed to hang up on people after giving them X scripted warnings" as a bragging point.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The Perfect Element posted:

When I used to work for a lovely little insurance brokerage, we had all these rules about how we were never allowed to give discounts or waive fees or whatever, no matter how pissed a customer is. However, if they ever asked to speak to one of the managers, the manager would just instantly give the discount they'd been asking for (and had been moaning to me about for the last ten mins) because all they wanted was an easy life.

This was my last job (not insurance, an MDM) except the customer needed to be at least 5 ticket responses or 3 calls in before manager escalation was allowed. This resulted in idiots cargo culting the *exact same messages* they had sent before, word for word, as they knew that "path" worked. There was no path, they could have sent a ticket and immediately responded "mgr plz" 4 times in a row without us so much as acknowledging the ticket and it would have worked just as well.

Of course we were under no circumstances allowed to acknowledge the policy in any way, but that was the policy and it resulted in the absolute stupidest bullshit responses I ever did see, which my beloved fellow queue members would attempt to respond to legitimately and uniquely. Massive waste of everyone's time, and the absolute only thing it ever did was ensure that by the time manager escalation was an option the customer was somewhere between "mad as hell" and "incoherently irate".

Everyone lost!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Back in my mid-20s, (3 years ago) I had a car rental job where people would ask for like 20 bucks off a 500’dollar rental and I said no and we would argue back and forth and then I’d have to talk to my manager who would say no and get pissed and I’d have to go back and tell the customer no because I couldn’t just send them right to the manager. Then it reached the point where they could transfer to the manager who would give it to them anyway so I just started doing it right away to save all the time and trouble. So anyone I dealt with who asked for a small discount just because got one.

It was the best job I ever had, except for the financial part.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I will never understand why opening up a folder on Windows, even one with just a few items in it, will almost always cause a delay in file explorer. Windows sucks so bad they can't even get their file manager right, which is a gently caress up of colossal proportions.

That's the problem with something like Windows that becomes 'standard': there's never any "innovation" because a company like Microsoft can coast forever on their bullshit being considered "essential" for the modern working world.

e: Not my computer; my parents'. I run Linux and although I'm well aware that Linux is far from perfect or even necessarily a smooth ride, it's far superior to Windows....and MacOS.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Nov 30, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

defrag your hard drive

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Yeah, at my job we could give them 2 warnings and then hang up (but not without a polite "I am ending this conversation, thank you and have a nice day") if they started directly verbally abusing us, but just yelling didn't count. And a lot of the time, if someone got hung up on they'd just call back and start berating someone else, who would hang up on them, so they'd call back, get someone else, etc.

Since we all had a work chatroom, though, it was pretty easy to go "Heads up, 555-XXX-XXXX was irate/abusive and refused help, had to disconnect, he said he was going to call back." So when they called back saying that the meanie agent hung up on them for no reason and they want to file a complaint about that too, we'd know otherwise. And also probably make fun of them if the managers were out.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Parasol Prophet posted:

Yeah, at my job we could give them 2 warnings and then hang up (but not without a polite "I am ending this conversation, thank you and have a nice day") if they started directly verbally abusing us, but just yelling didn't count. And a lot of the time, if someone got hung up on they'd just call back and start berating someone else, who would hang up on them, so they'd call back, get someone else, etc.

Since we all had a work chatroom, though, it was pretty easy to go "Heads up, 555-XXX-XXXX was irate/abusive and refused help, had to disconnect, he said he was going to call back." So when they called back saying that the meanie agent hung up on them for no reason and they want to file a complaint about that too, we'd know otherwise. And also probably make fun of them if the managers were out.

We could put "special instructions" that would pop up on peoples' accounts. These were primarily meant to articulate something like, "Customer does not speak English, will need an interpreter," but were mostly used to write "CUSTOMER IS MEAN!!!!"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Lmao the lovely Verizon center i briefly worked at fired two people during my one month tenure for putting "customer is mean" notes on accounts. I'm glad for workers' sakes that that seems to be a level of lovely that most places don't reach!!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I will never understand why opening up a folder on Windows, even one with just a few items in it, will almost always cause a delay in file explorer. Windows sucks so bad they can't even get their file manager right, which is a gently caress up of colossal proportions.

Lol don't even try to search for anything in explorer unless you have an hour or so to spare.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Y'all still on 5400rpm laptop grade spinning dust?

Thanks to the magic of nvme ssds I regularly just go go C:\ and search for poo poo in explorer lol

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Win key to open the start menu then just start typing the name of the file, personally. Don't even bother with file organization any more just name the file something sensible

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Killingyouguy! posted:

defrag your hard drive

Can an SSD even frag? Are HDDs even still a thing?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It actually is useless and lowers the lifespan of an sad to defrag it

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I do it regularly to give the bits some exercise.
SSD lifetimes are wildly loving insane anyhow, unless you're doing real heavy work on them most people will only use a few percent of the expected endurance by the time the warranty pops.
They can do hundreds of terabytes of writes, and are more likely to get put down by the firmware than actual faults.

So cmon, defrag your ssds, just for fun.
(But yes, it is pointless and achieves nothing.)

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
A collection of weak or insignificant people are "small fry," as in baby fish. Not "small fries," like you're going to Burger King.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom and aunt always preface every message with sorry don’t meant to bother you what time is it there

No matter how many times I tell them it is the easiest big time zone conversion ever. Almost 9:00 here in KZ, almost 21:00 in central NA. It is not hard. No math!! I’m exactly 12 hours ahead!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

credburn posted:

Every Facebook group associated with the city in which I live is 99% filled with HOMELESS AND DRUGS AND DRAG QUEENS THIS DINT USTA BE THIS WAY!!!

It's always fun to ask older people how crime today compares to 30-40 years ago.

spoiler alert: Crime is worse than ever!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

theironjef posted:

Sorry but your opinion got jacked by a lame and long running trend. You may now either claim everyone else is a poser or pick a new movie that occurs around Christmas. Weirdly Lethal Weapon also does but you never see that one come up.

Hardcore (1979) is a Christmas movie.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who take on too many responsibilities and then try to push some of them onto me. Pile poo poo on your own plate all you want, but don't think I want a taste of it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To my beloved new glucose sensor:

No I am not in fact dying of low blood sugar you're just not calibrated yet please stop screaming at me every hour in the middle of the night it will all be fine in a day or so.

I go through this every two loving weeks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Public bathrooms always being loving disgusting. And not just at a bar, where I’d expect it from drunks partying or liberal cities where 90% of the population are habitual drug users. But at coffee shops, restaurants, gyms, department stores, normal places the bathrooms are still gross. My bathroom isn’t gross and I don’t make other bathrooms gross. Stop doing it.

It’s like a low grade fear I have that I almost never use them anymore. And when i have to, they’re always so gross I end up hovering over the seat and so my feces splatters the seat/wall instead of going in the bowl.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
People bitching about Christmas stuff being sold in stores is way more intrusive and annoying than the fact that Christmas stuff is being sold in stores. I go to the store like once every other week and observe there is Christmas stuff in the section I don't need to ever go to. I hear people bitch about what's in the store every goddamn day on these forums.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My pharmacy texts me when my doctor submits a prescription, and they text me when my prescription has been sitting for a week and about to be thrown away. They do not text me at any point between these two moments like, say, when they've just filled the prescription and it's ready to pick up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

People bitching about Christmas stuff being sold in stores is way more intrusive and annoying than the fact that Christmas stuff is being sold in stores. I go to the store like once every other week and observe there is Christmas stuff in the section I don't need to ever go to. I hear people bitch about what's in the store every goddamn day on these forums.

Wow, must be pretty tired having to hear about it since September, if only there was some solution where you wouldn't have to hear about it for 4 months out of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It shouldn’t be sold in stores during September. And especially not in October. Halloween is the best. Halloween is the way