Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thats like our politically unaware friend who was telling us about this great new store she found called Hobby Lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

Thats like our politically unaware friend who was telling us about this great new store she found called Hobby Lobby.

Um, $13k worth of political donations is not at all like shopping at hobby lobby unless I'm missing some context here.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Nitrox posted:

Just FYI that Weathertech is an active political contributor to very right wing politicians.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/weathertech/recipients?cycle=2020&id=D000091477

Not just Founder/CEO, but as an org. Still pouring money into Trump affairs, last I checked.

welp this sucks but I guess now I won't feel bad about replacing the mats I got for my E91 that definitely were not made with 3 pedals in mind as the lip keeps catching on the clutch pedal when depressed

e: double welp tuxmat only makes mats for new cars it seems

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Motronic posted:

Um, $13k worth of political donations is not at all like shopping at hobby lobby unless I'm missing some context here.

Shopping at Hobby Lobby is like buying Weathertech floor mats.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

Shopping at Hobby Lobby is like buying Weathertech floor mats.

Interesting. Take it to wherever people argue about politics.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Motronic posted:

Interesting. Take it to wherever people argue about politics.

Smack made a joke and then you asked him to explain it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

remigious posted:

Smack made a joke and then you asked him to explain it.

It didn't sound like a joke, and even engaging other than to say "keep it out of here" was my mistake. It needs to not be a discussion in here. Nobody cares about your political views, or theirs. Unless you are in the SA place where you all argue about that where the rest of us do not go.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TheBacon posted:

welp this sucks but I guess now I won't feel bad about replacing the mats I got for my E91 that definitely were not made with 3 pedals in mind as the lip keeps catching on the clutch pedal when depressed

e: double welp tuxmat only makes mats for new cars it seems

That happened with my Corolla unit I cut like half an inch off the mat where the clutch pedal would go.

Get down there, push the pedal down and see how much you need to cut. Shouldn't be too much.

Or toss them. Whatever.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Motronic posted:

It didn't sound like a joke, and even engaging other than to say "keep it out of here" was my mistake. It needs to not be a discussion in here. Nobody cares about your political views, or theirs. Unless you are in the SA place where you all argue about that where the rest of us do not go.

Jesus Christ youre unpleasant.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Hey thread, dont know if this is the right place to ask but over thanksgiving someone stole the catalytic converter for my 2013 Prius (~160k miles on it). Is there anything I should know about getting it replaced, and/or any way to prevent that sort of thing in the future? Was parked in a residential area of LA when it got stolen. Im guessing the $2-$3k itll cost to get fixed is still worth it even given the cars age right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Assuming you also live in an emissions-controlled area of California, an extremely expensive OE-or-equivalent cat is your only legal repair option. There are catalytic converter shields and other similar devices designed to make it harder to just hack a cat out, but they're still limited in effectiveness against a brushless reciprocating saw and/or angle grinder.

Yes, a 10-year-old Prius is absolutely worth the repair. $3k plus scrap value for selling a catless Prius wouldn't get you into anything even remotely close.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Jesus H it seems like everyone I know in LA has had their cat stolen if they drive a Prius. Its making me second guess saving up for one. Is that just all hybrids in California in general or just the Prius?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Neurostorm posted:

Hey thread, dont know if this is the right place to ask but over thanksgiving someone stole the catalytic converter for my 2013 Prius (~160k miles on it). Is there anything I should know about getting it replaced, and/or any way to prevent that sort of thing in the future? Was parked in a residential area of LA when it got stolen. Im guessing the $2-$3k itll cost to get fixed is still worth it even given the cars age right?

Do you have insurance? I got GEICO to total my 12 Prius because I couldnt get a state-approved Cat faster than 6 months from any of the dozen places I tried calling. Incredibly annoying to deal with. If you can find a cat and its only $2k thats a hell of a lot less than what a 2013 Prius with 160k miles on it would run you.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

buglord posted:

Jesus H it seems like everyone I know in LA has had their cat stolen if they drive a Prius. Its making me second guess saving up for one. Is that just all hybrids in California in general or just the Prius?

Prius (and other low emissions vehicle) cats are full of even more of the platinum/palladium/etc that crackheads cant get enough of, so they do get targeted. There was a NYT article recently taking about cat theft rings, they even had an app that gave daily estimates on how much a given cars catalytic converter was worth as scrap.

If you have a Prius and dont have a garage, you definitely want a cat shield if you live in a major city.

A used OEM cat runs about 500-800 on eBay (at least for a second gen Prius), installation shouldnt be too bad - check with a muffler shop for best rates.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I received an offer of $2000 CAD for trade in for my 14 Chev Cruze, though the guy did tell me that I could probably sell it myself for 4-5. Is there any chance that asking him if he could go $2750 and/or throw in a few additional oil changes or something would work?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I received an offer of $2000 CAD for trade in for my 14 Chev Cruze, though the guy did tell me that I could probably sell it myself for 4-5. Is there any chance that asking him if he could go $2750 and/or throw in a few additional oil changes or something would work?

What exactly do you think your bargaining position is here? They know what they're gonna get at the auction for it, and it's not gonna be $3k.

They can make you feel better by "giving you more for you trade" while charging you more for other things I'm sure.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is negotiating just not a real thing :confused:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

You can try. It depends on how badly they want to move the car you're buying.

They will generally try to fake you out, though. Move numbers around so you think you're getting something, but the final total is the same, regardless.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does it mean anything that he gave me a Sale Agreement - Vehicle Sale Offer that lists the final price?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Professor Shark posted:

Does it mean anything that he gave me a Sale Agreement - Vehicle Sale Offer that lists the final price?
Like technically no. Nothing means anything until everybody's name is on a invoice. But ostensibly those are the numbers they are expecting to plug into the invoice.

Professor Shark posted:

There's still lots of salespeople who enjoy the thrill of the game and can take you on a mighty fine fishing expedition but for the most part they are complaining in car sales forums about dipshits looking for coupons just like we complain here about 4 boxes and value added services. Time efficient negotiations involve you going in and making clear how much you want to spend, how much of that you are expecting to come from a trade in, and what car you want and if you don't close on that day you or the sales person gives the other a call when circumstances change what those numbers are.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Go get CarMax to give you an offer and take it to them and say "I want this". poo poo even a soft email CarMax offer will work.

Note: sed /CarMax/whatever bullshit y'all have in the great white North/g

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Professor Shark posted:

Basically, it's up to you whether the extra 2-3k is worth the hassle of dealing with goobers/scammers on Marketplace. I'd have told you it usually is a few months ago, but I got *real* tired of dealing with people this last go around; crooked sellers trying to fob off cars with serious issues (no emissions, different name on the title, mechanical issues, etc), or jerks that would tell you to meet up then sell the car to someone else and ghost you while you were on your way over.

I am cheap and poor (and know a bit about cars) so will probably continue to deal with it, but I can see why people use dealerships, even if they have their own issues.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

It absolutely is. Which is why I asked what your think your bargaining position is. If it's "I won't buy the car/do this deal" that's one thing. If it's "I'll keep my trade in and sell it myself" that's a different thing. And if it's neither of those what is it?

If it's nothing that's not negotiating, it's begging.

So what position or information are you going to go in with to get what you want?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Just wanted to chime into this thread with my purchase.

I had come in here about a year ago thinking about a KIA Sportage HEV, but ended up this month with a 2024 Lexus NX350h. Definitely the vehicle I was looking for, and the stars aligned to make one available the day I came in for a test drive. Run flats aren't great for noise at 100+ kph, but It's not that bad, and smaller rims, mine are 20, or regular tires are an option in the future. Since I spend most of my time in the city it's perfect for my use case.

It's definitely way more expensive, but hopefully it will last longer with it's rav4 hybrid system.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Proposed Budget: up to $15k or so
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback -- subcompact or compact
How will you be using the car?: Usually 2 people, but somewhat frequently use the back seats for adults. Primarily city driving, but we (tent) camp a lot too, and I like being able to throw my bike in the back, so rear cargo space is nice, insomuch as it can exist in a small car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. Heated seats would be nice, but we're probably looking at southern cars to avoid rust, so unlikely. Bluetooth audio and keyless start still count as luxury to me.
What aspects are most important to you? Small vehicle. Reasonably low cost of ownership. Good cargo space, and the ability for adults to use the backseat. Manual transmission is nice, but are getting rare and isn't essential

Prius is definitely an option. We prefer a manual, but that might be the thing to go this time.

I was primarily looking at 2012-2014 Fits (post facelift, pre-refresh), which I like but definitely still have a Honda tax, and are on the older end of what I'm looking for.

I really like the 2015 era 2.5L Mazda 3, but the cargo space/back seat situation is pretty bad there.

My guilty pleasure car would be a Volvo C30, but the practicality aspects (and TCO) seem lacking, plus they're getting pretty old at this point.

I love driving GTIs, but my impression of them are that they are great to drive, but suffer from German stuff (more expensive parts/maintenance, weird things going wrong), more about fun to drive, less about cargo space/practicality. I'm willing to be talked out of that impression though.

I'm mostly looking for other things to cross shop that I'm forgetting. I liked the Elantra GT, but I spend enough time in Milwaukee (original home of the Kia Boyz IIRC) that that seems like a bad idea. My current car is a Nissan Versa Hatch, which with the manual gearbox has honestly has been better than it's reputation (I'm well aware the CVT blows), but I have a bigger budget this time than I did last time, so I'm not looking at a newer Versa.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I have a Mazda 3 2014 hatchback that works amazingly well for your reqs. The space in the back is not nearly as bad as you say, fits 4 adults comfortably and is more than capable of bringing enough stuff camping for 2 people for up to 4/5 days. 3 people camping would be a tight fit though

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Grumpwagon posted:

How will you be using the car?: Usually 2 people, but somewhat frequently use the back seats for adults. Primarily city driving, but we (tent) camp a lot too, and I like being able to throw my bike in the back, so rear cargo space is nice, insomuch as it can exist in a small car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. Heated seats would be nice, but we're probably looking at southern cars to avoid rust, so unlikely. Bluetooth audio and keyless start still count as luxury to me.
What aspects are most important to you? Small vehicle. Reasonably low cost of ownership. Good cargo space, and the ability for adults to use the backseat. Manual transmission is nice, but are getting rare and isn't essential

Prius is definitely an option. We prefer a manual, but that might be the thing to go this time.

I was primarily looking at 2012-2014 Fits (post facelift, pre-refresh), which I like but definitely still have a Honda tax, and are on the older end of what I'm looking for.

I really like the 2015 era 2.5L Mazda 3, but the cargo space/back seat situation is pretty bad there.

My guilty pleasure car would be a Volvo C30, but the practicality aspects (and TCO) seem lacking, plus they're getting pretty old at this point.

I love driving GTIs, but my impression of them are that they are great to drive, but suffer from German stuff (more expensive parts/maintenance, weird things going wrong), more about fun to drive, less about cargo space/practicality. I'm willing to be talked out of that impression though.

I'm mostly looking for other things to cross shop that I'm forgetting. I liked the Elantra GT, but I spend enough time in Milwaukee (original home of the Kia Boyz IIRC) that that seems like a bad idea. My current car is a Nissan Versa Hatch, which with the manual gearbox has honestly has been better than it's reputation (I'm well aware the CVT blows), but I have a bigger budget this time than I did last time, so I'm not looking at a newer Versa.

What up dude, you and I have similar tastes. I also want a C30. The age has unfortunately steered me away from them, though they remain on a back burner for now.

If you can find an unmodified Focus ST that would be my pick. Do some research, but most of the issues seem to be common maintenance items like spark plugs or folks revving their engine to WOT from low RPM and getting low speed pre-ignition, damaging their engine. Dont do that. Change the oil.

Re: GTIs, they have some of the best cargo space of their class. For reliability, there are different things than just oil changes for regular maintenance, but if those things are done they seem to be pretty drat reliable. This is entirely dependent on what year/generation and mileage though. Id look into forums for single generations (presumably Mk7/7.5) to find common issues.

Imprezas could be on your list, and while I dont care for Subarus boxer engine, theyre generally (semi)reliable if unmodded and have regular maintenance. CVTs and all that, but youre already hardened against it.

Dont forget about the Chevy Bolt! Those suckers can fit a bunch of folks and all their poo poo, are relatively sporty, and are largely criminally cheap.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Grumpwagon posted:

Focus ST?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Focus ST is a good call but the interior packaging sucks especially with the Recaros. Nobody has ever done less with more space than Ford did with that car. Make sure your bike fits etc.

The GTI is excellent and the interior is much more intelligently designed than the FoST but it is a smaller car in absolute length. You could also look at Golf wagons / Alltracks - a fair number of them are manual transmissions. Cost to run will be worse than a Prius but not like, Porsche bad.

The Subaru Crosstrek checks some of your boxes but I dont like them so I wont recommend it. Worth checking out, probably.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
Need a car recommendation, or at least a few makes/years/models I should check out.

Proposed Budget: $20-$30K
New or Used: Interest rates are lower for new, used cars are pretty insanely expensive, so I'm not sure whether to go used or new.
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car?: I live in the northeast so hopefully AWD or FWD, will probably rideshare/delivery inbetween jobs with it, mostly daily driver.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG, reliability, comfort

I keep looking at used Rav4s and Rav4 hybrids, but the used prices for 2-3 year old models are almost identical to new 2023/2024 models. I previously owned Toyotas and Hondas and had very good experiences despite them being used cars, but I'm concerned about how expensive the used car market is these days. A used 2021-2023 Rav4 hybrid is going for like $30k near me, a new one is $32-35k...doesn't make much sense to me to go used?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dopesilly posted:

A used 2021-2023 Rav4 hybrid is going for like $30k near me, a new one is $32-35k...doesn't make much sense to me to go used?

It depends on how quickly you need it. Used vehicles are available right now. I do believe we're still at the point of not getting a new Rav4 hybrid any time soon even if you went to buy/order one today. This is the case for many desirable vehicles and it's keeping their used values unreasonably high.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dopesilly posted:

Need a car recommendation, or at least a few makes/years/models I should check out.

Proposed Budget: $20-$30K
New or Used: Interest rates are lower for new, used cars are pretty insanely expensive, so I'm not sure whether to go used or new.
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car?: I live in the northeast so hopefully AWD or FWD, will probably rideshare/delivery inbetween jobs with it, mostly daily driver.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG, reliability, comfort

I keep looking at used Rav4s and Rav4 hybrids, but the used prices for 2-3 year old models are almost identical to new 2023/2024 models. I previously owned Toyotas and Hondas and had very good experiences despite them being used cars, but I'm concerned about how expensive the used car market is these days. A used 2021-2023 Rav4 hybrid is going for like $30k near me, a new one is $32-35k...doesn't make much sense to me to go used?

What's wrong with a Prius/sedan? Just the AWD/FWD? If storage is a concern I get it, but I don't know how outdoorsy your car needs to be where you live.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
I'm cool with a sedan but a Prius is a bit too small for me, and I don't like the smaller tires when things get icy/snowy. If I was going sedan I was looking at Accords, Corollas, Camrys, etc. And yeah I own a house currently so it would be nice to be able to move medium/large size stuff if necessary, which is why I was looking at Hybrid SUVs.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Prius has about 15% more internal volume than the RAV4.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Smaller tires are generally considered better for snow because they have less area they need to push out of the way. I'm skeptical that it makes a huge difference, but many (most?) OEM winter wheel/tire sets are narrower than summer sets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How often are you going to haul poo poo vs ride share? Don't buy a car for hauling poo poo, rent a van. Signed, someone who bought a car for hauling poo poo and doesn't haul poo poo.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
Ok so I should just be looking at new/used Priuses then? There isn't any other makes or model hybrids that are better/comparable/more spacious?

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 2, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I can haul 2x8 plywood boards without issue inside my prius. Can also fit my tandem bicycle fully inside (with front wheel off).

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
What's a good year/make/model for the Prius in that case? I've driven them before and it just felt like driving a gokart, I'm coming from a mid-size truck so I got used to be able to at least not be blinded or obscured by every vehicle larger than mine. That was one of my main complaints driving an ex's Prius. It's fun to drive for that gokart feel and the MPG, but it doesn't really feel like a safe vehicle to me when everybody else is driving around monster trucks in comparison. I'm mainly talking about situational visibility I guess

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I've got a 2021, and haven't driven the new model - it looks a bit more sedan-like aesthetically, although I don't think it's fundamentally different.
There's no getting around the fact that you're a lot lower to the ground than a truck.
It's also an appliance first and foremost - it's not a terribly inspired driving experience. I've never had an issue with enough acceleration for any driving conditions, though, and the faux-awd has come in handy for getting out of iced up parking lots (it has a secondary motor that drives the rear wheels when needed but only at very low speeds).