Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Megasabin posted:

Yikes. The clearly unfinished low quality CGI makes this look like a fan movie.

I need to watch more fan films, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Megasabin posted:

yeah i cant believe how bad a lot of it looks. very marvelesque. not fan made but... hopefully very early CGI. 1:47 is just horrible on all levels.

did they not have the time to do as many practical effects as fury road?

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 1, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will say it kinda just made me shrug but I trust George Miller. Certainly not saying it looks bad. It's not fair comparing this to the excellent trailers for Fury Road, but those appealed to me because they were selling a movie that clearly had spectacle and insane action...I could care less about the "world" or "lore" of Mad Max.
I'm sure we'll get another Furiosa trailer at some point that has a similar sell and better energy/music.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Just loving lmao if you're gonna bet against George Miller

gently caress me up king

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It looks like a sequel to Fury Road with all the good and bad that entails

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tim Whatley posted:

:agreed:

whydirt posted:

It looks like a sequel to Fury Road with all the good and bad that entails

It's a prequel, actually.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress me up king

10,000 Years of Longing was not good, or a particularly interesting failure

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Fingers crossed (in the shape of the holy V8).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

High Warlord Zog posted:

probably would help to watch the right movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's 500 Days of Longing ya goof

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress me up king

made plenty of pretty bad films, to not just be convinced by his name alone. not that i am writing this off from one bad trailer. could just be very early cgi.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
do you ever just watch clips from babe pig in the city and cry? i do...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
It's ok to comment that purely unfinished very rough CGI indeed looks bad. Even if it's George Miller movie. This is not an indictment of the final product.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Megasabin posted:

Wow that was my first thought. So this is ALL CGI when MMFR was all practical? Really?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress me up king

You about to get hosed, because this looks like godawful dogshit

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s almost not worth commenting on though. Every film with cgi has this issue in trailers unless they only show you the fully finished stuff. Also Fury Road had plenty of CGI, you just didn’t notice because it was seamlessly integrated. This one has a poo poo ton of practical stuff too if you’re not too distracted by the cg.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

Cmon I was all for a movie that actually involved a ton of Ottomans. How often do you get that. It was solid.

I'm definitely not betting against George Miller tho the trailer didn't have me particularly hyped.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

3kYoL was great btw

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

mcmagic posted:

Wow that was my first thought. So this is ALL CGI when MMFR was all practical? Really?

Fury Road had lots of CGI in it, a whole lot. They just mixed it in with the practical stuff really well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Colonel Whitey posted:

3kYoL was great btw

It was a perfect cozy film imo.

That film felt like a nice warm breeze on a midsummer evening.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm hype.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sorry, I was too busy paying more attention to how the trailer was cut, Anya's expressive facial acting, Hemsworth chewing all the poo poo up, and getting chills from the score to have any concern for unfinished CG.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Sorry, I was too busy paying more attention to how the trailer was cut, Anya's expressive facial acting, Hemsworth chewing all the poo poo up, and getting chills from the score to have any concern for unfinished CG.

This is the correct take

Trailer was loving dope and I’m hyped

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the anti woke crowd once again hiding behind their fake cgi criticisms, just like they did with females ghostbusters 😔

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

teagone posted:

it's finished. they don't put unfinished CG in trailers. someone looked at that trailer and thought it was OK to release.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mcmagic posted:

it's finished. they don't put unfinished CG in trailers. someone looked at that trailer and thought it was OK to release.

...they literally do?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Does the quality of special effects really bother you that much goons? poo poo, were blue screen halos and janky animatronics pulling you out of the movies 30 years ago? How about stop-motion?

People have a weird fixation on CGI specifically and seem to hold it to much higher standards than other types of special effects. The quality of a film should not live and die by that one criterion...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, that was awesome. Loving villainous Hemsworth. Dodgy CG didn't mean anything to me.

I liked the text at the beginning. Does anyone else do that in trailers? Really cool to not have to do it via voiceover or keep cutting back & forth between clips and text.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's been a while since I saw fury road (to my discredit), but going back to the trailers for that none of the shots look glaringly unfinished to my eye. So I would have simply followed whatever process they did there

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wizchine posted:

Does the quality of special effects really bother you that much goons? poo poo, were blue screen halos and janky animatronics pulling you out of the movies 30 years ago? How about stop-motion?

People have a weird fixation on CGI specifically and seem to hold it to much higher standards than other types of special effects. The quality of a film should not live and die by that one criterion...

Really bad CG is very distracting and completely takes you out of a movie.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
On the topic of CGI I rewatched Children of Men last night and for all the amazing sets and worldbuilding and interesting cinematography and perfectly-executed long takes

the CGI ping pong ball made me lol

e: big spoilers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAkpAJQy-I&t=66s

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 1, 2023

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I actually have no problems with the cg, but the color grading has issues. The initial Star Wars scroll had part of the landscape a nice sandy orange, and then dimmed it in the corners - that’s not how light works! I could argue the mythic feeling these stories aim for covers that and making it more striking is a choice, though. Also a lot of the face shots seem a little dust free, given the setting, but they are shot well. Perhaps they will even add cg dust! Looks pretty good overall.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mcmagic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMN_Xvk3spA&t=22s

they do it all the time

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That shot in Fury Road where the steering wheel flies at the camera is ok but the cgi in the Furiosa trailer is not? Ok goons

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I’m not seeing what people are complaining about. That trailer looks amazing. Shrug.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm reasonably certain Furiosa is going to be a good film, but the trailer did have some dodgy looking shots. Most of which did look to be unfinished effects work.

Trouble is we're comparing the first glimpse of a new film against the shiny and chrome glory of a completed and viewed classic. For me, it was enough to be told the film is basically done and coming soonish, so it achieved its goal. ATG is a great actress who brings a ton of unusual qualities to her work and I'm sold on her as Furiosa. Meanwhile they have time to finish tiding up the scruffy compositing/blending/CGI/whatever it is.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Okay that was all well and good, but where’s the origin story for homeboy with the flamethrower guitar damnit

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The FX industry being massively overtaxed in the years since Fury Road was made probably didn't help the cg look the very best it could

Comparing teaser trailers of both Furiosa and Fury Road, it feels like there were way more action shots that were trailer ready in the Fury Road trailer. Furiosa has far more character/drama shots

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 1, 2023

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Man, people are very sensitive about trailers for a movie they like. Literally no one is commenting n the final quality of the movie. They are just saying the trailer didn't impress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Man, people are very sensitive about trailers for a movie they like. Literally no one is commenting n the final quality of the movie. They are just saying the trailer didn't impress them.

You said the trailer looks like a fan film. That's just silly talk, lol.