Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The massive funnel of people hits a split of a single tape thing at some point coming out of the right couple of entrance gates and it's very easy to get funneled the wrong way if you don't know where to go. Yes, the ferry is to the left and monorail to the right, but with 10,000 people there it's all a mess. The ferry line even goes down to the right towards the resort boats before turning left I think, so it's easy to think you're in the right line if you don't know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

CapnAndy posted:

That's a pretty classic Jungle Cruise joke too. "Parents, don't forget your children; abandoned children will be taught to sing and have their feet nailed to the floor in It's A Small World".

Ah gently caress, that is completely where my mom got it from lmao. Long line of Disney fans here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bottom Liner posted:

The massive funnel of people hits a split of a single tape thing at some point coming out of the right couple of entrance gates and it's very easy to get funneled the wrong way if you don't know where to go. Yes, the ferry is to the left and monorail to the right, but with 10,000 people there it's all a mess. The ferry line even goes down to the right towards the resort boats before turning left I think, so it's easy to think you're in the right line if you don't know better.
I will accept this explanation, because I have absolutely no idea how it happened and in your version, it is at least understandable. Seriously, both times I genuinely thought I was going to get on a monorail until I suddenly noticed I was surrounded by ropes forming a line and was like "wait, what am I in line for and why is this curving left".

barclayed posted:

Ah gently caress, that is completely where my mom got it from lmao. Long line of Disney fans here.
There's some great misanthropic Jungle Cruise jokes. My favorite is when they advise departing passengers to watch their footing, so as to not accidentally step on small children -- "pick the one you want, and make sure you get 'em!"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I will accept this explanation, because I have absolutely no idea how it happened and in your version, it is at least understandable. Seriously, both times I genuinely thought I was going to get on a monorail until I suddenly noticed I was surrounded by ropes forming a line and was like "wait, what am I in line for and why is this curving left".

an avatar of moana standing in front of the ferryboat sign with "IT CALLS ME" in big red letters, sir. except that your avatar is already great.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
A bunch of friends and I are headed to Orlando next week for the Orlando Informer meetups on Thursday the 7th and Saturday the 9th.

Sadly one of them can no longer make it. sssooooooo. anybody want the tickets? They are non-refundable and I'd hate for them to go to waste.

(there is a small chance that person can come last minute in which case I would have to rescind the tickets, but it is a very small chance)

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

CapnAndy posted:

There's some great misanthropic Jungle Cruise jokes. My favorite is when they advise departing passengers to watch their footing, so as to not accidentally step on small children -- "pick the one you want, and make sure you get 'em!"

Dunno if I’ve mentioned my favorite Jungle Cruise joke here before. Was with my sister who had a monster high doll with her at the parks that day. We board the boat, and get seats right next to the skipper- I think it was pretty dead that day, not many other people. As we’re loading, the skipper leans over and asks her, “oh, is that a barbie doll?” She matter-of-factly goes, “actually, it’s a monster high.”

Without missing a beat, the skipper chuckled and looked and me and my mom and went, “Heh. i had a monster high once.”

God bless him.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

They actually put Hat Box Ghost in today so they hit their mark of "Late November".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4gY-VekBdE

Not only does it feel out of place, which we knew it would in that spot, but also I sort of feel like it looks like poo poo? Maybe it's the perspective but it feels like he's about 5'2. Putting it right next to the floating candelabra really disjoints the flow of the entire ride. There were other spots you could have tossed him where it would have been just fine and they picked probably the worst spot possible.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Ahhh looks fuckin sick I’ll have to check it out in person.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Akileese posted:

They actually put Hat Box Ghost in today so they hit their mark of "Late November".

Not only does it feel out of place, which we knew it would in that spot, but also I sort of feel like it looks like poo poo? Maybe it's the perspective but it feels like he's about 5'2. Putting it right next to the floating candelabra really disjoints the flow of the entire ride. There were other spots you could have tossed him where it would have been just fine and they picked probably the worst spot possible.

We've had this at Disneyland for a few years now, and it makes sense where he sits outside the attic on the way to the cemetery. I've never been in love with it, but it's kind of a passing thing so your eye doesn't spend too long lingering at the details. He's a bit of a surprise as you round the corner.
I haven't ridden the WDW version of the ride, but yeah this looks a little out of place. Also, the bright figure screws up your eyesight in an otherwise dim area, and makes it hard for your eye to see the details in other stuff in the dark. At Disneyland, you are leaving a dim area and heading to a brighter one, so the transition for your eyes makes sense.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Akileese posted:

I agree with all of this. It's like they shrunk him when they realized he would overtake the focal point of that area (the endless hallway) rather than rethinking where to place him. But the average guest unfortunately will never think about any of this.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Feels like the best place for him would be right next to the groundskeeper and his dog as you exit the attic. The hatbox ghost can be what the dog is barking at.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Akileese posted:

I'm totally happy for people who like it but I'm not a fan of it in that placement. He needs to be far further down the ride, when it becomes apparent this house is actually haunted and your life might actually be in danger/you might not make it out (or if you do, there's always room for one more).

That's like smacking an inflatable mickey mouse on your roof and saying you've decorated for christmas

CapnAndy posted:

Feels like the best place for him would be right next to the groundskeeper and his dog as you exit the attic. The hatbox ghost can be what the dog is barking at.

yep, that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The WDW version actually tips its hand that they’re friendly during the queue anyway, doesn’t it?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

The WDW version actually tips its hand that they’re friendly during the queue anyway, doesn’t it?

It does due to the interactive queue that was added in 2011. I think I and others probably mentioned this as well, but you don't see a full body apparition of a ghost until after the séance*. Both of these implementations are examples of the modern Imagineers or whoever not bothering to respect the intended design and details, or possibly not understanding them to begin with.

*The closest thing is the guy trying to get out of the coffin, but I've always taken this as more of a "almost buried alive" gag.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 1, 2023

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Yep. The same spot as in DLR works fine. I think I saw someone describe it as a lovely temporary photo op spot for a character and that felt pretty apt.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm totally happy for people who like it but I'm not a fan of it in that placement. He needs to be far further down the ride, when it becomes apparent this house is actually haunted and your life might actually be in danger/you might not make it out (or if you do, there's always room for one more).

That's like smacking an inflatable mickey mouse on your roof and saying you've decorated for christmas

yep, that.

It just feels really half assed, which is pretty on brand for WDW in the last few years. It's okay to like a thing and it's perfectly fine to be happy he's in the ride now, but it just doesn't work there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It does due to the interactive queue that was added in 2011. I think I and others probably mentioned this as well, but you don't see a full body apparition of a ghost until after the séance*.
And you know they know it, because they gave those cringeworthy soundbites about how Hatbox "doesn't obey the rules!!!"

WDW is just in a very bad state right now between the lingering effects of Chapek, whatever continuing executive ineptness is going on (seriously, whoever is in charge of merchandising ought to be fired), and now their clear and understandable unwillingness to spend another loving dollar in Florida until they get a government that's not loving with them to score cheap political points.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

CapnAndy posted:

And you know they know it, because they gave those cringeworthy soundbites about how Hatbox "doesn't obey the rules!!!"

WDW is just in a very bad state right now between the lingering effects of Chapek, whatever continuing executive ineptness is going on (seriously, whoever is in charge of merchandising ought to be fired), and now their clear and understandable unwillingness to spend another loving dollar in Florida until they get a government that's not loving with them to score cheap political points.

Sometime I marvel at the garbage I find in the Disney outlet store here in SoCal. We get a LOT of WDW stuff, for some reason, and yeah no wonder it ended up in the outlet store. I see stuff in the Disneyland parks and just cackle, wondering aloud how long before that stuff hits the outlet store down the freeway. The Halloween stuff was in the outlet store in mid-November!

I did recently score some awesome dresses for my kid, at like 75% off. Non-returnable, but still amazing stuff.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

How's all the epcot construction coming along? Is the front of the park still just big plywood fences?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Welp after the most hosed week I've had in a generally poo poo year, we're on our way to WDW tomorrow :cheerdoge:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jose Valasquez posted:

How's all the epcot construction coming along? Is the front of the park still just big plywood fences?

Yes but at least a good bit of it is going down on Dec 5th:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2023/11/world-celebration-gardens-walt-the-dreamer-statue-debut-dec-5-at-epcot/

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I don't think I've ever been to Epcot without half the park being closed for construction (my first trip was 2019); the idea that the park is more than just World Showcase with a couple rides weirdly off on either side is so alien to me.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Story-wise, the ghosts don't actually materialize until after Madame Leota's seance, so yeah, that's a massively out-of-place location to put him :psyduck:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I think the last time I went to EPCOT and it wasn't under heavy construction was... 2014 or so? Since then, something has always been getting torn down or put together. Ever since Maelstrom went away it seems like it's been in an endless flux.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cockblocktopus posted:

I don't think I've ever been to Epcot without half the park being closed for construction (my first trip was 2019); the idea that the park is more than just World Showcase with a couple rides weirdly off on either side is so alien to me.

To be fair the park had already been under the knife for several years at that point, and Disney pretty much said up front that it was going to be a multi-year project like DHS was. The difference between Epcot and DHS construction is that the latter was basically getting finishing touches when covid halted nearly all progress for the better part of two years, the former was elbow deep and very muddy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When are they gonna add Jered Leto to the ride

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

When are they gonna add Jered Leto to the ride

When they make his Tron movie they’ll add him to both

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Soon the whole park will be filled with Leto

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tron Jared Leto animatronic can hang out with Pirates Johnny Depp animatronic and animatronic President Trump in Animatronic Sex Creep Jail

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

put that pervy pirate back in there too with em

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Obama making some deeply questionable personal decisions lately

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
One time Obama gave a live televised speech from Main Street at Magic Kingdom and he called it Disneyland smdh

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm planning on going to Universal Hollywood in the next few months. I was looking at the ticket options and I have a few questions:

Is the Express pass worth it? I know the park doesn't have that many rides and the pass doesn't cover the Mario kart ride, so I figure it's not a good value. I'll be there in a slow month. The last time I went years ago, it was during a slow time and the place was practically empty so I figure wait times won't be too bad.

Is that $20 thing to get into Nintendo World early worth it? is it worth using to get on that Mario kart ride early/faster, since I'd be amongst the first people in the park?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 4, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Express isn’t but the Nintendo early access is.

You get in a little before the ride opens so you have time to get a band if you want one too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Aphrodite posted:

Express isn’t but the Nintendo early access is.

You get in a little before the ride opens so you have time to get a band if you want one too.

What's the band for? is it to get into the Nintendo area or is that for the Kart ride?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are little games around Nintendo World anyone can play but the band lets you keep your score tracking, and most importantly the keys you get for playing the games. You need 3 keys to actually play one of the available games.

They locked off part of the already small area to a $40 add-on. Peak Nintendo really.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
For a Disney trip I added two friends as guests under me so I can manage them for LL etc.
I’m also going with friends who have their own accounts. How do I make sure everyone is linked up? Like, can only I manage the two guests or can we have a big group that anybody with an account can manage/book LL etc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For WDW, you add them to your friends and family list and it can tell if you all have valid admission and/or upgrades and lets you select the others when picking things. They can also do the same for you, so if everyone is friended between each other any of the group can do it. They will also be able to manage the guests under you.

For DLR you have to link their actual tickets to your account. There is no friend list function in that app.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The WDW app is really good about managing your group, once you tell it who you're going to be with that day it'll assume you're doing everything together. So if you make reservations or LLs or anything like that, it'll ask who in your party is going, and everyone starts pre-selected. And if you're splitting up for a bit, just unselect whoever. It's pretty easy, and anyone can do it, there's no one Group Administrator who makes all the decisions or anything. They have a pretty good understanding that groups are going to move together as a unit and that different people might be making decisions about different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I assume once we all tap into the park it’ll be a lot clearer. Or at the very least I’ll be able to figure out who is in the group by default and who needs to be added when we go to get the GotG VQ