Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lex Neville posted:

I use the silca stuff, yeah. The main benefit of a crock pot for me is that I don't run the risk of running it too hot and I can do other stuff in the meantime, which is more difficult with the faux-bain marie method with the bag

the downside for me is that my crock pot is slightly too big, so I bought a second bag of silca pellets, but two bags' worth takes ages to melt... stupidly I didn't think of that sooner

I’m gonna sous vide my chains.

Edit: registered for steamboat black course. Hopefully I get an entry! :toot:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

This explains the pure paraffin vs Molten Speed Wax:

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/MSW.pdf

Major takeaway seems to be that the PTFE and Molybdenum added are about speed, not protection or wear.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
A bag of Silva wax lasts so long I can't imagine using anything else to "save money" on this endeavor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Microplastics and forever chemicals are bad.

Fluorinated waxes are banned in skiing events now. Cycling needs to catch up.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

How are we supposed to catch up with all this friction in our drivetrains?!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
For as easy as everyone swears waxing is, it still sounds like a lot more hassle than Nix Frix Shun.

No it's not quite low friction as wax, but it doesn't build up and get grimy or greasy, keeps the drivetrain quiet, and lasts fairly well through bad weather and dirt. It takes ~ a dozen drops on the first application, spin the cranks for a while and flip through the gears, then leave it alone for 10-15 min while you do another bike. Then go back through them with a dry rag and done. If you get some squeaks or after a wash, add ~3 drops and it's all better. Maybe strip the chain and re-do it once a year if you're putting on enough miles or in bad weather.

It's just the lowest effort reasonably low friction option I've found. I'm not trying to be real fast, just get around and have fun.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ive been using the silca nfs one for years and yeah it's great, quite hard to get hold of though depending on where you live

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Lex Neville posted:

I use the silca stuff, yeah. The main benefit of a crock pot for me is that I don't run the risk of running it too hot and I can do other stuff in the meantime, which is more difficult with the faux-bain marie method with the bag

the downside for me is that my crock pot is slightly too big, so I bought a second bag of silca pellets, but two bags' worth takes ages to melt... stupidly I didn't think of that sooner

I just put my chain and wax in a ceramic jar and put the jar inside my crock pot and add boiling water to the crock pot, when the wax is too gross it's easy to dispose of and clean the jar. Am I wrong?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
It's easier if you just put it in the crock pot? Like, you're not cooking with it are you? Seriously if you are read up on a dutch oven

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Platystemon posted:

MSW and Silca Hot Melt don’t have PTFE / PFAS. They use WS2, which is pretty safe AFAIK. Anyway Gulf Wax is like $3-4/lb and nearly as good as the retail products with added lubricious solids. Plus the wax doesn’t turn gray. Use as little wax as possible to cover all your chains. You don’t want to fill a $9 crockpot 2/3rds full because it will take hours to melt.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

what are all you chain waxers doing about quick links? are you tracking how many times you reuse each one?

Residency Evil posted:

Edit: registered for steamboat black course. Hopefully I get an entry! :toot:

i also did this... if i get a spot i'll probably have to buy a gravel bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sphyre posted:

what are all you chain waxers doing about quick links? are you tracking how many times you reuse each one?

Yeah totally, definitely, yeah

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Yeah totally, definitely, yeah

i'm afraid that my quick link will pop open when i unleash my sprint and put quite frankly unfathomable amounts of torque and power through the cranks

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Use two links just to be safe

mystes
May 31, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Use two links just to be safe
make the entire chain quick links. just think how much easier it will be when you need to remove it and you don't have to hunt for the quick link!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mystes posted:

make the entire chain quick links. just think how much easier it will be when you need to remove it and you don't have to hunt for the quick link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1y95ztSY5U

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mystes posted:

Big flex to have a chain that costs more than your friend’s bike.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that if someone has already done it it's him

edit: even if someone gave me a box of links and paid me to do it, I can't imagine having the patience to spend 2.5 hours completely disassembling and reassembling a chain like that

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 1, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I used NFS before switching to waxing. Even if it's less messy than other drip lubes, it's still a huge mess in comparison to wax. Not even close.

Consider that if you bare hand a super clean and drip lubed chain you still get messy hand. Same thing on a 200+ mile waxed chain and literally nothing

I was with all the doubters for years. I was wrong. Switch and gain enlightenment.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I was just gonna say I’ve got a few hundred grams of now banned fluoro wax, maybe it’s be real fast on my bike chain. Worked for skiing!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

For as easy as everyone swears waxing is, it still sounds like a lot more hassle than Nix Frix Shun.

No it's not quite low friction as wax, but it doesn't build up and get grimy or greasy, keeps the drivetrain quiet, and lasts fairly well through bad weather and dirt. It takes ~ a dozen drops on the first application, spin the cranks for a while and flip through the gears, then leave it alone for 10-15 min while you do another bike. Then go back through them with a dry rag and done. If you get some squeaks or after a wash, add ~3 drops and it's all better. Maybe strip the chain and re-do it once a year if you're putting on enough miles or in bad weather.

It's just the lowest effort reasonably low friction option I've found. I'm not trying to be real fast, just get around and have fun.

Waxing sounds like a lot of effort because we’re describing a new process.

If everyone had historically waxed chains and someone was suggesting oil for a wet‐weather commuter, they’d have to go into how to get the wax off the chain, the importance of getting the oil into each roller and wiping off the excess, how to deal with the jockey wheels gunking up like they never did with wax, suggest carrying disposable gloves in case it becomes necessary to handle the chain, and so on.

It’s just different.

Degreasing is kind of annoying. Rewaxing is no big deal. I’d prefer it over oil & rag even if it didn’t last way longer under my riding conditions, but it does.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/lubricant-cost-to-run

Road, midrange groupset, 5000mi cost-to-run:
NFS - $273.33
MSW - $71.75

Road, top-end groupset, 10000mi cost-to-run:
NFS - $1760.11
MSW - $330.18

On top of having road chains last 15000 miles, large chainrings lasting 50000 miles and cassettes lasting who even knows how long, I never have to degrease my drivetrain. Cleaning my drivetrain amounts to brushing some wax off my chainstays after the first ride.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 1, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
this is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwTKeLCs7A

video from the late 70s when mountain bike / offroad riding was called klunking

a very young gary fisher makes an appearance

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 1, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

It must have been neat when mountain bike wasn't even a think and they were just figuring it out as they went along

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There's a singletrack system here that traces its roots to a guy in the 80's finding deer trails and riding them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Hot Diggity! posted:

I love it.

It's amazing how an entire branch of cycling that now features bikes with features that make them look and sometimes cost similar to dirtbikes (the motorcycle variety) started off with people taking heavy junk bikes, fitting gears and brakes to the old steel frame, and running them up and down hills and dirt roads.

It also reminds me of when my friends and I would cobble together BMX-style bikes from the random frames, wheels, and other parts we could easily obtain. This was back in the early to mid 80s, when pretty much all kid's bikes were BMX-style.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

any recommendations on baby balance bikes? they all seem pretty similar. my baby in question is 16 months.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we had a strider when my son was that age but yeah, they all seem pretty similar

whatever you get make sure you don't mind carrying it

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

The Fool posted:

whatever you get make sure you don't mind carrying it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

any recommendations on baby balance bikes? they all seem pretty similar. my baby in question is 16 months.
https://www.puky.de/en/lr-m-classic-00004093-1.html

In any case, do not get something made of wood, or too heavy to easily carry a while.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

numberoneposter posted:

We got ours a runners wooden one at one year but at 18 mo she's still not quite tall enough to enjoy it. I got her a smaller one with dually wheels that's self standing for now and she loves scooting around on that. It's definitely peaked her interest in the proper balance bike and she's been engaging with that more since. I think come the spring she'll be ready to go.

The strider ones look great but they seem really big and unwieldy for 1-2 year olds :shrug:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

numberoneposter posted:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/hotwalk-carbon

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

https://www.puky.de/en/lr-m-classic-00004093-1.html

In any case, do not get something made of wood, or too heavy to easily carry a while.
i dunno if pukey is a great name for toddler bikes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

dentists rise up

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

numberoneposter posted:

I got a standard rear end Strider from a friend as a gift. It seems perfectly fine so far. However, my wife purchased the rocking base for it and that let my kid jump on and have fun with it long before she would have been big enough to use it otherwise.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Math You posted:

I got her a smaller one with dually wheels that's self standing for now and she loves scooting around on that. It's definitely peaked her interest in the proper balance bike and she's been engaging with that more since. I think come the spring she'll be ready to go.
Our kids both rode this:
https://www.puky.de/en/produkte/fahrzeuge/myfirstpuky/pukylino-00003019-1.html

before actual balance bikes and it helped them get the steering/pushing movements down. Once they see how much faster and effortless a 2-wheeled bike is they'll naturally want to upgrade. Same for adding pedals.

oh, my lord.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

evil_bunnY posted:

Our kids both rode this:
https://www.puky.de/en/produkte/fahrzeuge/myfirstpuky/pukylino-00003019-1.html

before actual balance bikes and it helped them get the steering/pushing movements down. Once they see how much faster and effortless a 2-wheeled bike is they'll naturally want to upgrade. Same for adding pedals.

oh, my lord.

Similar but a bit less training wheel-ey
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B5D8S9MK?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_J3PVQD1FHB2AHW4421YS&language=en-CA

They can topple it if they work at it but for a kid who's walking well they have no trouble

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I got a Chinese carbon one that’s about 2lbs lighter than the Strider we started out with. The geo is different, in that you have limited stack adjustment on the bars. The low slung fit seemed fun for the kid. He was fine in the strider, too. The 5lbs vs 7lbs is a legit benefit when you have to carry it around after the kid stops wanting to ride it, or taking out home after daycare dropoff. Whether it’s worth $300 over $50 for a used Strider, that’s your call.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Oh this was a pretty funny April Fools' joke.

What's that?

Oh. Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
No one else has a <10lb bike :colbert: