Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vargo posted:

AP did a writeup today on McDonnell's decision to let Guard Dog free with this storyline: https://apnews.com/article/mutts-guard-dog-free-comics-d831d5fe301ca92bb4e0e45631dda8b0

Some choice quotes:

I've always been a fan of Mutts, it's rarely actually funny but it's always (usually) cute and good for a soft smile, which is all I can ask. McConnell seems like a great, thoughtful, guy. I respect him for stuff like the "tragic figure" quote, it shows that he actually cares and puts thought into his silly little kitten comics, and that's why this storyline is hitting the notes he wants it to. Compare it to other gag strips taking serious stances and it's a work of art. McConnell has his passion projects, he stays in his lane, and that makes everything feel sincere and not Batiuk-style clout-chasing.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

She’s your son after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mutts was my grandmother's favorite comic strip, and one of the last Christmas presents I got her was a couple of collected editions.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Park right in your hotel room? Why not!

A Dahir Insaat origin story.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

This is my dog's spirit human

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Man, I know Holbrook is the "sly about kink (furry)" comic artist. I know this.

This one still caught me off guard.

readingatwork posted:

And that's it for Blind Alley year 2. The strip is currently on hiatus until spring but in the meantime Adam has a new short comic called Brambles running on Patreon which is pretty cute imo.

I'm going to have to go back and do a straight read through all of Blind Alley. The artwork is gorgeous and a few strips have really affected me, but it keeps so many balls in the air that's it's easy to lose the plot when you only read it one page every so often.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Schwarzwald posted:

Man, I know Holbrook is the "sly about kink (furry)" comic artist. I know this.

This one still caught me off guard.

I'm going to have to go back and do a straight read through all of Blind Alley. The artwork is gorgeous and a few strips have really affected me, but it keeps so many balls in the air that's it's easy to lose the plot when you only read it one page every so often.

There’s a plot?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yaaaay Guard Dog. :3:

Jucika "412 - Jucika's Chatty Female Friend"

Me but with all regular conversation.

"413 - Jucika, The Accidental Interpreter"

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

CommonShore posted:

I don't really enjoy defending For Better or for Worse but I have the urge to keep the hate readers honest now and again -

There has been an ongoing story for months about her having been laid off and her inability to get another job, more or less precisely about how "just walk into a store and ask for a job!" doesn't work, at least not for a middle-aged woman, and this is more about her noticing and jumping on a coincidental opportunity when she sees it.

Sure, I just think it still ties into this myth that businesses with whom you have no prior connection will leap to hire someone who shows initiative (and offers themself up as a volunteer because surely a paycheck will be forthcoming). I'm sure the lesson is nothing deeper than "it's easier to keep a job than find a job once someone sees the work you can do" but the set-up still makes me wrinkle my nose.

Like, I can accept the scenario as being part of a narrative while also thinking it's built on some -- at best -- outdated or at least very niche reasoning that makes it a fanciful scenario from the start :shrug: .

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mercury Hat posted:

Like, I can accept the scenario as being part of a narrative while also thinking it's built on some -- at best -- outdated or at least very niche reasoning that makes it a fanciful scenario from the start :shrug: .
I mean, these are reruns from the... 70s or 80s, I think, that are occasionally touched up to remove blatant references to the year.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 11/29/03

This Hour Has 22 Minutes was the title of a television comedy program on CBC.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:golfclap: Bravo

F Minus

Mark Trail

Is there a story happening here? I've seriously lost track. It seems like they're just rehashing old poo poo no one cared about in the first place.

Mary Worth

"No, really though, this has been nice but I'd be more comforta-"
"I AM WALKING YOU TO THE DOOR!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Safety Dance posted:

This Hour Has 22 Minutes was the title of a television comedy program on CBC.

It's still around, and is IMHO vastly superior to Royal Canadian Air Farce (the latter seemed to think actors bugging their eyes out was the peak of comedy).

Scary Gary

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alterian posted:

When did you start doing this? We have to be crossing over into you posting strips that were new while you were posting the backlog.
April 2022, so. No. Not yet on my end, but I did take over for Mikl.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

I mean, these are reruns from the... 70s or 80s, I think, that are occasionally touched up to remove blatant references to the year.

Mid-1990s. Foob launched in 1979.

And yeah, I think "just walk into a place that needs help and ask for a job" was still workable back then, at least for retail/customer service jobs -- but not for much longer. I remember making the rounds of stores in 2002 looking for openings and being told "go apply online" at each one.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

You've clearly just taken pictures of real plants and slapped on a colour overlay for the first panel, so why are you doing that dot shading on the two characters, and ONLY on the two characters?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Is there a story happening here? I've seriously lost track. It seems like they're just rehashing old poo poo no one cared about in the first place.

Dumb tried to frame Dumber for vandalism to get around asking her to go on a hike. Dumb and Dumber have agreed to go on a hike until Jules goes back to Mark asking the men's nature club if they'd like to open a men's nature club for men. Mark Trail has given up on everything else, I wonder how far Jules will go in not even bothering to write stories at all. We're up to panel to panel disassociation, lol.

Draws a statue. Draws it off model from the first panel. Draws it off model from the previous two panels.

Draws thought bubble depicting the bizarre foreign creature Bee. Then draws some bees in the last panel anyway.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing
Spoilered for what’s almost-surprisingly not depicting a fetish but would totally look like it if someone was reading over your shoulder.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think what I find interesting about freeing Guard Dog is that it's not caused by some moralistic activism, people standing up against the status quo. It's because of one last act of cruel neglect from the former owner, only when truly and totally abandoned can the heroes step in to do something.

I don't think presenting it one way or the other would be "better", but I find my mind lingering on it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've been rewatching MST3K and this Invention Exchange seems extremely relevant to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqKTtmybwYo&t=47s

I resent that I initially thought you posted this because of Sally Forth.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Dumb tried to frame Dumber for vandalism to get around asking her to go on a hike. Dumb and Dumber have agreed to go on a hike until Jules goes back to Mark asking the men's nature club if they'd like to open a men's nature club for men. Mark Trail has given up on everything else, I wonder how far Jules will go in not even bothering to write stories at all. We're up to panel to panel disassociation, lol.

Draws a statue. Draws it off model from the first panel. Draws it off model from the previous two panels.

Draws thought bubble depicting the bizarre foreign creature Bee. Then draws some bees in the last panel anyway.

Actually, it looks like 'Draws thought bubble depicting the bizarre foreign creature Bee. Then copy pastes those bees in the last panel anyway.'

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

I know we are thoroughly "gently caress you, Ed"ed out as a thread but gently caress you, Ed, for publishing this as a fun relatable thing after everything Dustin has ever not done in his life.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 19: Maggie's Party Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

Billie's referring to a conversation from Steeple #5 (one of the print issues).

The_Other fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 1, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

just loving get on with it. you are such a slow writer and plotter.

I'll Be Real, My Man: I Never Know What You're Gonna Do Next And I Don't Think You Do Either

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Also, I meant to post this earlier, but given the current conversation around Mutts I felt it was appropriate. I follow Dan Misdea on Instagram who is a cartoonist for The New Yorker and as it turns out, Patrick McDonnell's nephew.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/26-28/51

Archie 11/18-20/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 11/12-14/51

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (June 15-18, 2004)

Oh, hey Ralph.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Caphi posted:

I know we are thoroughly "gently caress you, Ed"ed out as a thread but gently caress you, Ed, for publishing this as a fun relatable thing after everything Dustin has ever not done in his life.

Dustin makes that blonde kid's life a little better by being a big brother to him and presumably has done some solid work as a public school sub.

Ed, meanwhile, eats, expands, and bitches about everything.

Trash Goblin
Dec 19, 2020

I'm catching up with the thread and had to do a double take of that beach battle scene in Val. My brain interpreted the waves and the white horse as one, massive Cronenberg-esque worm horse.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Archie 11/18-20/48

[

That piglet became radicalized and formed the Swine Liberation Front

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Trash Goblin posted:

I'm catching up with the thread and had to do a double take of that beach battle scene in Val. My brain interpreted the waves and the white horse as one, massive Cronenberg-esque worm horse.

I took it as a cartoon fight cloud

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Selachian posted:

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 11/12-14/51

Ok, I’ve mostly been skipping this strip but I do appreciate that last one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Olympus posted:

everything has to talk in holbrook land. animals talk, trees talk, houses talk, computers talk, the individual programs on those computers talk to each other. mars, the planet, the pile of rock in space, talks and has an identity. you could make a bigger deal out of it like you could with the constant rolling marriages and pregnancies, though i'm inclined to err on the side of that's just how soap operas work. not sure how to explain "everything talks" in a convenient narrative way though
It starts with "what funny things might your house say if only it could talk?" and then it's an established fact and must continue to be acknowledged forever.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 3/3-5/52
  1. If doing this kind of research doesn't interest you, maybe this is not your ideal job?
  2. Given that Brenda and her team are already doing the research, it seems redundant to have a B plot also solving the mystery. Rather undercuts the actions of the protagonist in favour of a resolution that's more like stuff happening around her.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archie is really good. I know this has been said, but I have to repeat it. It's just really, really good!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Endless Mike posted:

Archie is really good. I know this has been said, but I have to repeat it. It's just really, really good!

It has been a bit of whiplash to realize that the 60s 70s 80s Archie that I grew up on (garage sale digests gogogo) could reasonably, if pessimistically, be described as Zombie Archie

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CommonShore posted:

It has been a bit of whiplash to realize that the 60s 70s 80s Archie that I grew up on (garage sale digests gogogo) could reasonably, if pessimistically, be described as Zombie Archie

Considering they're still making the dang things (which at this point, from what I understand, are about a quarter new stories and the rest microwaved stuff going back as far as the 70s) I can't imagine what you could describe an Archie digest from 2023 to be.

Also there's an alternate serialized modern timeline or something where all sorts of dark and wacky poo poo happens. Not quite Riverdale dark and wacky, though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CommonShore posted:

I grew up reading Archie comic books from the same era. My girlfriend, on the other hand, had no such experiences, and so she didn't understand my utter horror at the "Riverdale" TV series she was watching.

The very idea of Archie having sex with Miss Grundy in the back seat of a Volkswagen still gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Powered Descent posted:

I grew up reading Archie comic books from the same era. My girlfriend, on the other hand, had no such experiences, and so she didn't understand my utter horror at the "Riverdale" TV series she was watching.

The very idea of Archie having sex with Miss Grundy in the back seat of a Volkswagen still gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies.

Jesus, I don't think even the Tiajuana bibles went that far