Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a really funny premise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yeah, "I don't know how to fight aliens, so I'm going to go super deep into space and fight some aliens. Then I'll be prepared"

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I do like the backstory being some random Gotham gang boss hiring one of the aliens to gently caress up Batman already.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Pluggin' for plugs: Just released the third episode of my Wonder Woman deep dive Youtube series! This one covering the last of the 60s, leading into to the Mod Era and all its groovy nonsense. Diana did some yellowface one time. It was problematic :kiddo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxVu9nbdrU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Pluggin' for plugs: Just released the third episode of my Wonder Woman deep dive Youtube series! This one covering the last of the 60s, leading into to the Mod Era and all its groovy nonsense. Diana did some yellowface one time. It was problematic :kiddo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxVu9nbdrU

Isn't one of her villains a giant egg with a face that could only be described as "horrifically racist against Asians"?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Air Skwirl posted:

Isn't one of her villains a giant egg with a face that could only be described as "horrifically racist against Asians"?

Oh, you mean Egg Fu?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Oh, you mean Egg Fu?

Is he a young egg?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
At some point I want to read the Secret Agent-era Wonder Woman, though I am glad it didn't stick. The first Brave and the Bold: Bronze Age trade is set right at the transition, so it collects two Wonder Woman team-ups, one before and one after the move, and it's interesting to see.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'd always heard Azreal: Agent of the Bat was good, but frankly it isnt.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

I'd always heard Azreal: Agent of the Bat was good, but frankly it isnt.

The Denny O' Neil run? I always felt like O'Neil had a personal love for Azrael but just didn't know how to tell compelling stories with the character.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Lmao at the Batman who laughs

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

The Denny O' Neil run? I always felt like O'Neil had a personal love for Azrael but just didn't know how to tell compelling stories with the character.

Yeah the first 30 issues are the same story over and over. They just didn't know what to do with the character. Plus he is extremely dull.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

John Romero posted:

Lmao at the Batman who laughs

Oh no, did he get to you?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Air Skwirl posted:

Oh no, did he get to you?

i just learned of him

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Beast World has a cool opening.

Is this an elseworlds like dc'eased and dark knights of steel?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's a Titans-based event and the third or fourth time Gar's powers have been dispersed randomly in the last 20 years, so... probably in continuity but won't be remembered come March.

Turning into a Starro was neat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal posted:

Isn’t the whole thing that he’s Batman but Catholic? They should roll with that, make the series super Catholic, have villains who perform illegitimate baptisms or desecrate the Host, establish that the Gotham mafia are all Cathars. Have a mysterious recurring villainous mastermind who is revealed to be Martin Luther made immortal through heretical Protestant magic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Isn't Batman but Catholic just Daredevil?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Not Catholic but ultra secretive ultra rich pseudo Christian cult.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azubah posted:

Beast World has a cool opening.

Is this an elseworlds like dc'eased and dark knights of steel?

No, it's in canon and apparently part of some larger plan by Waller in terms of getting rid of superheroes for good or something. idk.

Reading the recent Penguin issue reminds me a bit of the new Napoleon movie. Shame it won't end the same way.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Jumped on the sequel sequel to Batman '89, Echoes. It's pretty neat, enjoying the setup once again.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

No, it's in canon and apparently part of some larger plan by Waller in terms of getting rid of superheroes for good or something. idk.

Reading the recent Penguin issue reminds me a bit of the new Napoleon movie. Shame it won't end the same way.

I thought she was in another dimension or something, I can't keep up with whatever metaplot they want with the character. She was in green arrow this month too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Isn't Batman but Catholic just Daredevil?

No, Batman wears blue (and sometimes black), Daredevil wears red (and sometimes black). I'm not sure where you could find any sort of comparison between the two.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal posted:

Not Catholic but ultra secretive ultra rich pseudo Christian cult.

He should still fight the Cathars,

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
A whole lot of great releases this week. Titans: Beast World was surprisingly good. A Titans series being good was already crazy, but a Titans event being good? Truly nuts.

After a so-so first issue, Amazons Attack #2 was really fun. Feels like Campbell found these characters' voices, like, literally overnight. It'll be interesting to see what all this will have to do with the main series, because like...there's a bad guy over there engineering the Amazons' bad press...but apparently there's also bad guys over here also engineering the Amazons' bad press? Are there actually multiple people out there taking advantage of this situation, or are they going to end up being the same overall bad guys? I wonder how much Campbell is allowed to know about, or play around with, King's grand plans.

It's funny that, while it's not looking like this will be a major multi-arc long-running plotline or anything, Action Comics is actually playing around with the same general motifs as the WW books right now, with a bunch of bad guys doing a whole bunch of false flag poo poo to make Superman's family look bad, and a lot of people are actually buying into it. So like...Amazons are being made to look bad by bad guys framing them, and Kryptonians are also being made to look bad by bad guys framing them, which -- as people have noted -- is largely reminiscent of mutants being made to look bad over at Marvel by bad guys framing them. I guess false flag operations are just really on people's minds, right now. v:v:v

Flash is insane right now. It's absolutely incomprehensible but I also feel like I do get it, somehow? Si Spurrier is doing a lot of Morrisonesque stuff in a very fun way, although all of it is so offbeat right now that it's hard to consider it "good" before we see how it turns out.

Alan Scott: The Green Lantern has become my surprise breakout get. Sheridan's Titans Academy was a dystopian nightmare, but he's really impressed me on this book. Really looking forward to how he'll explain that this mysterious Crimson Flame definitely going to turn out to be RED X (I'm kidding! We hope.)

Speaking of insanity and Green Lanterns...it's a couple of weeks late, but I have to give a shoutout to how good the main GL book has also been now. It was bad enough when Hal Jordan and the GLC was one of my favorite books under Robert Venditti, but now Jeremy Adams is also writing some of the best Hal content I've seen. Gods help me...is Hal Jordan a good character now? Am I...am I a Hal Jordan fan?? nooooo get Geoff Johns back in here to make me hate this character again before it's too laaaaa

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Beast Boy getting a new spotlight is well deserved and a long time coming. He's been a fan favorite thanks to the TV series so it's only been a matter of time for the comics to actually catch up. That said, how it starts seems dumb as hell, but :shrug:

The motifs Action Comics are playing at are closer to the same anti-immigrant stuff that Blue Beetle is doing. While Amazons does have some of that anti-immigrant stuff, it's sorta a side thing to its actual thrust regarding feminism. False flag plots are really common in comics though so that's no surprise.

Flash is doing good stuff, imo, and approaching it at a new angle. The stuff with Linda is sorta on the side, but it was something dark and poignant and I feel that something that powerful will get properly followed up on at the very least.

Alan Scott is definitely amazing and I would never have been able to tell that it's from the same person as Titan's Academy.

Harley Quinn is doing...stuff. It's honestly not all that interesting because of the weird Lady Quark and Multiverse stuff. There's certainly heart in it, but I don't know where it's going like the Flash. Unlike the Flash though, I don't think it's anywhere interesting. The backups are at least an amusing diversion and the teams there are having fun.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

All of the JSA related books have been good. Ot is top bad nobody is probably reading them.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I'm doing my part and buying Wesley Dodds Sandman in singles.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Holy cow about one character in the latest Detective Comic issue:

Azreal shows up to help.

He's wearing his first Az bats costume. With burning sword.

It's actually and forgive me for saying this, bad rear end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

poo poo. Are they still doing that long, weird story in Detective? I'll have to catch up at some point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

poo poo. Are they still doing that long, weird story in Detective? I'll have to catch up at some point.

Yeah. It should be hitting some sort of climax soon

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

The Last Call posted:

Holy cow about one character in the latest Detective Comic issue:

Azreal shows up to help.

He's wearing his first Az bats costume. With burning sword.

It's actually and forgive me for saying this, bad rear end.

Yeah, I posted this in the good art thread but it's worth re-posting here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not even the first time an issue of Detective in the last few years has had 'oh poo poo AzBats' as a 'punch the air' moment. JTIV's run had them combat the System in Jean Paul's head by having a Batman version being implanted over it so he ended up in the suit there too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, I posted this in the good art thread but it's worth re-posting here.

what the gently caress is going on with those hands?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Looked like Sam Kweeth drew it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're claw hands

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Finally got around to reading why superman turned blue and not glad I did
Also a giant "gently caress you" reading order across 10+ different titles for any coherent plot

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 1, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I read DC Vs Vampires and...was that it?! I know Tynion isn't really great at endings but this didn't have an ending at all. I don't see any other solicits for #13 nor do I see anything else planned for the title. Was the series cut short? Was it always supposed to be 12 issues and Tynion's issues with pacing just caught up to him?

Edit: just did some googling and it looks like a title called World War V is continuing the story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

I read DC Vs Vampires and...was that it?! I know Tynion isn't really great at endings but this didn't have an ending at all. I don't see any other solicits for #13 nor do I see anything else planned for the title. Was the series cut short? Was it always supposed to be 12 issues and Tynion's issues with pacing just caught up to him?

Edit: just did some googling and it looks like a title called World War V is continuing the story.

Honestly, they need a multiverse story where that universe is thrown up against the Red Rain universe because lmao at having two Vampire universes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
DC Vs Vampires had a spinoff series; Dc Vs. Vampires: All-Out War which might help?