Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh yeah the first twice dead king is a fantastic book and I'd rank it over Infinite and Divine but just on my personal tastes. They are both fantastic. I like how human the necron are in both books while still being incredibly alien, but in ways that seem more natural that is the nightmare of the imperium.

I do like how twice dead posits the necrons are reascendent but only as a destructive force, they're still doomed by entropy and wasteful interconflict to fall as everybody else is, and it's interesting to see a flawed character struggle without the power of reality at their fingertips like trazyn and orikan have.

It does have the classic ending I've come to expect from black library though where it ends without a period of falling action to set up the future, but I can just jump right into the sequel now at least.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I will laugh so hard if Abnett somehow ends up doing his traditional ultra-abbreviated ending to The End And The Death despite sprawling it out across three hefty volumes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

I will laugh so hard if Abnett somehow ends up doing his traditional ultra-abbreviated ending to The End And The Death despite sprawling it out across three hefty volumes.

He managed to do it with TEATD2! And then Sanguinius got owned. Gg no re

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Kylaer posted:

I hope the first half is the Emperor vs Horus and the 2nd half is the mad scramble as everyone realizes they lost.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sharkopath posted:

Oh yeah the first twice dead king is a fantastic book and I'd rank it over Infinite and Divine but just on my personal tastes.

Crowley's also a goon. He doesn't post much, but dropped into the thread a few hundred pages back.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Kylaer posted:

I swear Guy Haley writes most of his good scenes as if they're meant for the big screen. The crescendo tank fight in Baneblade, the undersea walk in Titandeath...and the weird slapstick comedy opening scene in The Great Work that doesn't fit the rest of the book at all, but it would translate perfectly to a show or movie, two bumbling tech adepts doing everything short of accidentally sticking their :dong:s in electrical sockets as they try not to get shot down by their own allies.

This is true for vast swaths fiction of publishing these days. Authors don’t make use of the traits of the novel as a medium, you can tell that they were writing it as a TV show/movie in their heads. No art or investment to the prosecraft, only sensory descriptions are visual and sound, character reactions written like stage directions, no work with various perspectives or structure that the medium affords, all exposition is dialogue etc etc etc.

Some are more obvious about it than others (Haley in Avenging Son was so bad about this) but it is so common that at this point I regard writers who write books as books rather than books as movies as a rare treat when I find them.

It is somewhat to be expected, you tell stories in the format you study and these days most stories people are exposed to are tv and movies. But I still find it annoying and appreciate the writers who study genres and mediums to take advantage of them

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Oh yeah the first twice dead king is a fantastic book and I'd rank it over Infinite and Divine but just on my personal tastes. They are both fantastic. I like how human the necron are in both books while still being incredibly alien, but in ways that seem more natural that is the nightmare of the imperium.

I do like how twice dead posits the necrons are reascendent but only as a destructive force, they're still doomed by entropy and wasteful interconflict to fall as everybody else is, and it's interesting to see a flawed character struggle without the power of reality at their fingertips like trazyn and orikan have.

It does have the classic ending I've come to expect from black library though where it ends without a period of falling action to set up the future, but I can just jump right into the sequel now at least.

One of my favorite aspects of the new necrons is their relationship to time now that they're functionally immortal. Trazyn spends like 7 years just pondering poo poo while standing around the planning table with his majordomo (Sannet?) before anyone says anything. And in twice dead when oltyx meets up with his brother and they just sorta stand there in silence for hours. I think its neat :shobon:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Are there any good books or worthile collections that revolve around rogue traders?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
It's weird reading the criticism of the Grey Knight books in this thread. I just reread the omnibus last month and I loved the ending and wanted to know more about the future of the main character but nothing has been written since then which sucks. Taking down an entire planet devoted to the blood god was pretty cool.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hamelekim posted:

It's weird reading the criticism of the Grey Knight books in this thread. I just reread the omnibus last month and I loved the ending and wanted to know more about the future of the main character but nothing has been written since then which sucks. Taking down an entire planet devoted to the blood god was pretty cool.

They all thought they had some kind of stable world devoted to Chaos. The whole time the gods were just waiting for it all to go to havoc and poo poo and laugh about it. lmao

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
How many back books would I need to read if I wanted to join the TEATD bandwagon?

I've read the first three Horus Heresy novels and a assortment of other 40K novels. I know who the primarchs are and how the heresy plays out. Do I need to start with Siege of Terra or go back to book 4?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mappo posted:

How many back books would I need to read if I wanted to join the TEATD bandwagon?

I've read the first three Horus Heresy novels and a assortment of other 40K novels. I know who the primarchs are and how the heresy plays out. Do I need to start with Siege of Terra or go back to book 4?

You can mostly piece it together, you'll be missing out on some stuff/characters but the only essential back story is that Terra is hosed right now.

And I'd imagine people here would be happy to answer questions like "who is this Sigismund guy"

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Mappo posted:

Really the only thing you'd probably be baffled by is who John Grammaticus, Oll Persson and company are. And honestly their plotline is the worst and least interesting aspect of TEATD, and of the Siege in general (except for the servitor beating the poo poo out of Erebus with a box).

In terms of the rest of the Siege, The First Wall and Mortis are low spots, The Solar War and The Lost And The Damned are decent, and Saturnine, Warhawk, and Echoes of Eternity are all absolutely worth reading, completely aside from being "necessary" for TEATD.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am listening to teatd without having read any hh story apart from master of mankind and I am doing fine.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kylaer posted:

Really the only thing you'd probably be baffled by is who John Grammaticus, Oll Persson and company are. And honestly their plotline is the worst and least interesting aspect of TEATD, and of the Siege in general (except for the servitor beating the poo poo out of Erebus with a box).

In a series that's dominated by epically ridiculous heroes, those characters all stand out for having such extreme Marty Sue energy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kylaer posted:

Really the only thing you'd probably be baffled by is who John Grammaticus, Oll Persson and company are. And honestly their plotline is the worst and least interesting aspect of TEATD,

I thought book 2 was unnecessarily padded with returning to half a dozen interchangeable space marines fighting meaningless battles.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Are there any good books or worthile collections that revolve around rogue traders?

I’m about halfway through the Blackstone Fortress omnibus and enjoying it, the two novels focus on a rogue trader at least.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I thought book 2 was unnecessarily padded with returning to half a dozen interchangeable space marines fighting meaningless battles.

I halfway agree but those gave us the line "He does know that the final hours of Terra's fall are not a teaching moment" which is beautiful.

Also I may be an outlier but one of my pet peeves is Enuncia. I do not like it as a plot element, I don't think it fits the setting and I have disliked it in every circumstance it's made an appearance, so the fact that it's spilled over into the Siege annoys me.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I've read so much trash in my life that most of that doesn't phase me, but I really don't understand the whole perpetual storyline. The Emperor is perfectly capable of being a one off and doing epic history things without needing Odysseus following him around.

The again this is the publisher that decided the astartes are named after Dr. Astarte and not simply a nod to a war goddess.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I like the perpetuals. I enjoy having something that just feels like a completely different thing, because it makes the universe feel bigger. Sometimes, the scope of the setting can feel stymied by a sense that there's a finite amount of something; there's these gods, these great civilizations, this kind of magic and so on. Both the perpetuals and stuff like enuncia foster a feeling that there is still an unexplored vastness out there, and I enjoy the universe so much more when I'm not reminded that it's a boardgame.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Enucia is also I think a joke about the characters saying the words of the book

Maybe not idk

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Am I misremembering or have they explicitly acknowledged that the perpetuals are archetypes in a novel?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

moths posted:

Am I misremembering or have they explicitly acknowledged that the perpetuals are archetypes in a novel?

No they have. Can't recall exactly which one, but it's Mortis, Warhawk or Echoes of Eternity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably should read saturnine before teandthed

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Kylaer posted:

I halfway agree but those gave us the line "He does know that the final hours of Terra's fall are not a teaching moment" which is beautiful.

Also I may be an outlier but one of my pet peeves is Enuncia. I do not like it as a plot element, I don't think it fits the setting and I have disliked it in every circumstance it's made an appearance, so the fact that it's spilled over into the Siege annoys me.

I agree, I am mostly not an Abnett Guy (I like some of his stuff but not as much as most people here do), so I hate when Abnett Stuff appears in the wider universe. I'm rereading Prospero Burns and I groaned when Enuncia and the Cognitae (sp?) show up, I had forgotten it was there.

The only good scene with it (I assume?) is in Betrayer when Angron says that sorcery is bullshit and Lorgar speaks a word of what I thought was a secret demon language and blasts him across the room. If it turns out it's Enuncia and not a secret demon language that is so horrible reality rebels against it, that is way less cool.

40k already HAS a secret order behind the cosmos that shapes everything and will give you knowledge and power but at a terrible price, it doesn't need ANOTHER one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

von Metternich posted:

The only good scene with it (I assume?) is in Betrayer when Angron says that sorcery is bullshit and Lorgar speaks a word of what I thought was a secret demon language and blasts him across the room. If it turns out it's Enuncia and not a secret demon language that is so horrible reality rebels against it, that is way less cool.

I'm confused by this paragraph, "secret demon language this is so horrible reality rebels against it" is literally what Enuncia is right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Enuncia is not chaos or warp no

Iirc

Edit

Is warp but not chaos ?

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Abnett is a top tier writer but some of his lore additions are weird and bad. Enuncia is lame but the magic bracelets that turn pariahs off are way worse.

Did he introduce perpetuals and Grammaticus? The siege of Terra books are noticeably worse for their inclusion imo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He did. He did.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think every collective series writer has a natural desire to carve out a space for themselves within the larger body of work, but often it just gets weird.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

Enuncia is not chaos or warp no

Iirc

Edit

Is warp but not chaos ?

Enuncia is explicitly not Warp power from everything I can recall reading. It's an entirely different all-powerful mystical underpinning of the universe, one that the Necrons and the Eldar never managed to discover but some absolute nobodies at the Tower of Babel did, before getting pwned by the Emperor, in the Bronze Age.

IIRC perpetuals are a thing from the flavor text in the really old rulebooks, but Abnett was the one who brought them back into the modern era of fiction. And Grammaticus is entirely his.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

I tried re-reading it earlier this year and it's hard to explain, but you can tell that it was written early in the Black Library and the rules were less stringent about how things should be portrayed.

Finished the second Crimson Fists book (Legacy of Dorn). The author of that was VERY good at remembering to keep Marines as a leap beyond humanity. Which is good, but he also seems to have the opinion that Marines would also forget that baseline humans need to sleep and eat more than Marines to survive. To the point there's an argument between a ranking human and a Marine about the Guard needing to rest to be at 100% and the marine shrugging it off with "My men don't need to, so you won't either" and walking off.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Calax posted:

Finished the second Crimson Fists book (Legacy of Dorn). The author of that was VERY good at remembering to keep Marines as a leap beyond humanity. Which is good, but he also seems to have the opinion that Marines would also forget that baseline humans need to sleep and eat more than Marines to survive. To the point there's an argument between a ranking human and a Marine about the Guard needing to rest to be at 100% and the marine shrugging it off with "My men don't need to, so you won't either" and walking off.

Now I feel for the Crimson Fists chapter serfs.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think Enuncia and the perpetuals are cool. Makes me think of the bit in Seed Of Destruction when Rasputin "says" the glyph that Prince used as his name and Hellboy describes it as being hit by a submarine.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 1, 2023

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I feel like Abnett's subplot with the perpetuals has always gotten a lot of hate. I personally like it, I always thought of it as neat bit of adventure story to break up all the pew-pew with 'roided-up super soldiers. Was it Legion where he first introduced that plotline?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Now I feel for the Crimson Fists chapter serfs.

The big point about Pedro Kantor was that he cared for the serfs. There's a few other marines but 2/3rds of the other marine viewpoint characters were basically "Who cares about humans, we need to kill the enemy!" Also preservation because the writer wiped out most of the chapter in one blow early in Rynn's World.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eunicia is like the least offensive thing about the perpetuals.

Black Griffon posted:

No they have. Can't recall exactly which one, but it's Mortis, Warhawk or Echoes of Eternity.

Ok thanks. I thought so! It just feels very fourth-wall, and not in a fun way. They exist just to do something, and fate ensures that they'll be there when the plot demands it.

It's like when a novel references Hero with a Thousand Faces and it's like... Ugh here we go.

Grammaticus just reads like an American Doctor Who inspired original character do not steal.

And his presence is just unearned here. This whole setting tells a story about the Emperor's hubris and its consequences. How sins reflect and are revisited in unforseen ways on their creator.

Oly fits into that seamlessly (for spoiler reasons,) but Grammaticus does not and subtracts from Oly's story.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Enuncia works for me as a concept because 40k absolutely is a grab bag full of weirdness. Oli also works for me, given his history with big E, whereas I'm entirely lukewarm on John Grammaticus.